5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended with Great Information!
As an aging baby boomer and physician, I am naturally concerned about what seems to be the unavoidable decline in my memory and cognitive function. On a daily basis in my practice, I deal with dementia or patients' fears about developing dementia.

Published 9 months ago by K. Lance

3.0 out of 5 stars Good information, but difficult without testing
Published 8 months ago by John A Speech

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended with Great Information!, October 7, 2013
This review is from: Boost Your Brain: The New Art and Science Behind Enhanced Brain Performance (Hardcover)

It would be an understatement to say that I have been surprised and excited to learn that I cannot only halt the decay in my brain function , but actually improve it. Boost Your Brain by Dr. Majid Fotuhi reviews the newest discoveries concerning neuroplasticity, the ability to grow and mold the brain for the better. He does this in very readable manner and also gives one a game plan to mold their own brain into a larger and better organ.

The initial portion of Boost Your Brain discusses basic brain anatomy by comparing the brain to a city with various neighborhoods along with streets and highways. We can either allow our city to deteriorate over time or take active steps to keep it strong and improved. Dr. Fotuhi reviews these steps and the science behind them including methods to optimize nutrition (including potential helpful supplements) and tools to reduce stress in our lives. Instructions are also given on proper exercise and memory tricks and techniques. At the end of each chapter, Dr. Fotuhi gives a game plan to incorporate these activities into our own lives.

In the next section of the book, Dr. Fotuhi discusses the problems which can exacerbate the usual shrinkage which accompanies aging including obesity, poor sleep, depression, strokes, and head trauma and what can be done to modify these pitfalls.

I enjoyed Boost Your Brain and plan to make changes in my own lifestyle to help "grow my brain". As a physician, I highly recommend this book to everyone looking to optimize their brain health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive guide to acheiving brain health!, January 2, 2014
In Boost Your Brain, Dr, Fotuhi talks to readers as his students using personal antidotes and fascinating research to teach what we need to know about creating and maintaining brain health. He goes in depth without using medical jargon making his tips and tools accessible to all readers. I like how he uses pictures and diagrams to convey some of the more complex inner workings of the brain. The book can also be used as a guide to your own "Brain Fitness Program" as he provides charts and detailed week-to-week plans tailored for different needs and ability levels. Although I don't usually read "self-help" types of books from cover to cover, I did so with this book because the material was actually enjoyable rather than a chore. That being said for those that may not have the time to read in it's entirety, it is easy enough to pick and choose the chapters that are most relevant to your needs and the information you will find within will be well worth it.
In a nutshell, if you are looking for a comprehensive guide to ward off dementia, Alzheimer's or just want to sharpen your brain health, you will find all your answers in Boost Your Brain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Piece of Work, January 27, 2014
I opened this book with hopes of learning about the brain and understanding what I can do to prevent cognitive downturns in the future. These hopes were not only met but far exceeded. Dr. Fotuhi has done an incredible job writing a "medical" book that is easily understood by the lay person. Furthermore, he has provided actionable, day-to-day steps to expand my brain today and build the necessary reserves to help prevent declines later. I have now begun adopting some of his recommended techniques into my daily life and already feel better because of it. Without hesitation, I say that anyone concerned about their brain health should make the time to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, insightful, and informative writing about how to grow your brain, January 6, 2014
This book has everything you need to know about how to keep your brain healthy, boost your cognitive ability, learn to remember more and forget less, and most importantly, how to ensure the long-term health of your mental health.

A must read for anyone who cares about their body and their minds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be a required reading, October 30, 2013
L. Basler (Webster, WI United States) - See all my reviews
Dr. Fotuhi writing is easy to understand and is written with passion.
Reading this book not only lets us understand the brain better, it will explain how our "unsolvable" life problems can be approached by keeping our brains healthy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Gift of Health you can offer yourself or your loved ones., January 9, 2014
One can always tell those authors that live and breathe their subjects and write for their love and dedication of their subject, and Dr. Fotuhi is one of them.

I have been following Dr. Fotuhi’s work for several years, and was excited to get my hands on this book. Boost Your Brain is an excellent book supported by decades of rigorous scientific testing while it is the most reader-friendly book I've come across in quite a while. Dr. Fotuhi clearly describes how your brain functions and provides useful, practical suggestions on how to stave off brain atrophy.

If you have ever witnessed the effects of declining brain function in those close to you, Boost Your Brain book will be the best “gift of health” and an inspiration to explore the exciting new science on the most crucial organ in our body.

Thank you, Dr. Fotuhi for all of your life's work and showing us that we do have some control of our brain's future and can enjoy a happier later years of life with a sharper bigger brain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful information, October 1, 2013
Dr. Fotuhi has summarized all you need to know in order to boost your brain to a new level. I never thought I would be able to memorzie a list of 20 things in a row - which I did after reading this book. I also learned that some specific medical conditions can cause memory loss with aging.

Dr. Fotuhi takes you on a journey on how the brain works and how you can tap into your brain's full capacity. I completed his program and now feel my brain has become 10 years younger. I can think more clearly and a fog seems to have lifted from my mind.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good information, but difficult without testing, October 26, 2013
John A Speech (Neenah, Wisconsin, US) - See all my reviews
I have not read the whole book, but it is based on an extensive program developed by the author to increase brain function. He conducts several pre-program assessment tests on his patients. These are expensive and extensive medical tests. Without this, his program is difficult for the reader to replicate. The book is of value if you wish to understand how the brain works and how you can keep it in functioning order through older age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, October 4, 2013
Enlightening! We all want to live to a ripe old age and maintain acute mental agility! Up until now, I thought that the main determining factor for senility, dementia, or Alzheimer's is hereditary. Dr. Fotuhi is able to translate his complex neurological knowledge into laymen's terms. He teaches us to be proactive in maximizing our ability to live a long life with the best possible mental capacity. His approach is logical and is written in a concise and easily understandable format. This is a book that should be shared with all of the people you love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise & easy to read, March 12, 2014
nocutename (Laguna Beach, CA) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed Dr. Fotuhi's book and found it concise and easy to read. Dr. Fotuhi highlights a lot of scientific research and thoughtfully includes discussions of open issues yet to be resolved. It was refreshing to read a book so deeply grounded in science which was also easily readable for the layperson. I am a middle-ager who returned to graduate school and have been struggling to pass the final professional exam which will allow me to move into a new career. I have already implemented several of Dr. Fotuhi's recommendations and have committed to his brain boosting prescription for the long term.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›