4.0 out of 5 stars Adds power to your audio player
Before I plugged in to my iPod, I had the iPod volume at about 75%. With Revolution, the volume is at 30% leaving me with plenty of room to make it louder if needed. Also, due to the volume being lower, the Revolution extends the battery life of the audio device.

Published on November 9, 2005 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Super Flaw Exploiter
I'm new in the world of headphone amplifiers, but not to headphones. I purchased this amp as an upgrade from my Boostaroo Portable headphone amp, with which I was very pleased. It excited the audio and I got to really explore some songs that were previously muddy.

Published on September 13, 2006 by Justin Keller

4.0 out of 5 stars Adds power to your audio player, November 9, 2005
This review is from: Boostaroo R234 Revolution Headphone Amplifier and Sound Enhancer (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

Revolution looks like a white rectangle box with nothing but a couple of holes for the jacks and two AAAA batteries (that's not a typo). The package also includes two patch cords: one is three and the other is six inches long. When the jack is plugged in, the LED power indicator light comes on so you know it's in use. It's designed for use with high-end (60 ohm+) headphones. Anything less than that can't handle the Revolution's power.

The technology provides the listener with a surround sound feel, like being in a quality concert hall. The device weighs six ounces and comes in white, black, silver, and black/silver.

To use it, simply plug your headphones into the top of the Revolution. Then take one of the Revolution jacks and plug it into the side of the Revolution with the other end plugged into the audio player. If another person wants to connect, then plug the headphones into the other open jack.

Users who have attempted to share audio find using a splitter sacrifices the sound and quality. Revolution doesn't have this problem as each listener can hear as well as they would if they weren't sharing. Travelers can stop straining to hear portable devices in an airplane, gym, or other noisy setting. The device also adds power to cheaper headphones, but remember the headphones need to be able to handle 60 ohm+.

Its battery door feels fragile - like it could break while I was putting the door back on. But it is unlikely it could be stronger as the purpose of this product is to be as small and lightweight as possible. AAAA batteries are expensive, so this is an added expense. However, every Revolution comes with two batteries to get you started.

Its use is not limited to audio players. It works with DVD players, Windows Mobile devices, PalmOS devices, notebooks, laptops, and satellite radio. The batteries are supposed to last for approximately 24 hours of constant use. The device comes with a 12-month warranty on parts and services.

4 stars on quality
3.5 stars on expense -- if you don't have the required headphones, you have to shell out more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Super Flaw Exploiter, September 13, 2006
Justin Keller (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews

However, after three days of using the Revolution, I went back to using the lower-end version. The Revolution seems like it took my sound a step back. It exploited all the digital flaws in my MP3s, overdrove certain levels in my lossless audio files, and added a significant amount of hiss to my headphones (btw, I use a pair of Shure E4c's, which I love) and made the desktop speakers I ran though it sound like they were vomiting. No amount of tweaking the EQ would help, nor would adjusting audio levels. I must say, I was pretty bummed that it didn't sound better because it has a very nice form factor. On my way home, I was imagining different ways that I could attatch it to the strap of my bag when I walk to work so that it could double as a cord manager.

I must concede though, that there were two or three tracks out of the hundreds I listened to that sounded pretty good, but those few experiences didn't outweigh those that they ruined.

If you want a cheap headphone amplifier, go with the cheaper Boostaroo, or do as I'm going to do and get a higher quality headphone amp.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to your audio, with a few small caveats....., January 24, 2008
This is a great little gizmo for anyone looking to boost up the music of their portable devices. It does exactly as advertised. Makes the sound better without having to put up the volume all the way.

This is what I used it with:

Media Player: Archos 605 80GB wifi
Headphones: Sharper Image Quiet Place FJ453, which I then will be using it with Grado SR-80s

As I mentioned, there are a few caveats to this:

- The battery cover is HARD to take off with just your hands. I recommend using a flathead screwdriver or something similar.

- The batteries. This uses AAAA batteries. Yes, that isn't a typo. There are such things as AAAA batteries. They aren't as readily available as AAs and AAAs, but I've heard you can purchase them at Staples and other office stores. I bought packs of them from ebay for cheap.

- These only work with Higher-end phones. Some people have complained of a white noise/feedback sound. If you use lower-grade phones, you will hear this noise. This is when you have to use the original boostaroo. Upbeat audio has created a list of which headphones are suited for each of their devices [...]

In conclusion, I recommend this only if you have high-end headphones and don't mind AAAA batteries

1.0 out of 5 stars notable hiss and headache, September 16, 2006
As a former reviewer has written, the hiss in this amp is noticible right away, which in itself renders it useless. There is also the added dimension of a not so comfortable headahce, which apparently resuts from a frequency emmited, or just general electricity. My player works fine without the amp, that's how I know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says - AMAZING !!!, January 16, 2008
I'm using high end Etymotic ER4P earphones (27ohms), and a Treo mp3 player running PocketTunes. This amp is amazing. It not only boosts the volume but notably increases the bass as well. In the past the EQ on my player was kind of useless, but now with this amp I can really use the EQ and dial in the sound just how I like it. The amp seems to slightly muffle the sound a bit, but my music is overall warmer sounding now. Basically it reminds me of the warm sound of listening to a tape, but with none of the downsides of a tape recording.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice headphone amp, January 20, 2010
This amplifier does exactly what they claim.

Pros:
Easy to use
Compact
2 headphone outputs
Batteries are held securely

Cons:
AAAA batteries are difficult to find and a little pricey (order them from Amazon when you order the Boostaroo)
Cords supplied are not compatible with 1st generation iPhone headphone jack
Must remove input jack to turn off power
Batteries are a little difficult to insert

Overall, it's a nice unit that works as advertised.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bring Some Life to Your Earphones!, December 28, 2009
I recently bought these and as soon as I recieved it I plugged it into my laptop (comes with AAAA batts.) with a pair of those top model V-Moda earphones (I recommend 'em for good quality and price). Yes, There is a hiss. Why? Because these V-Modas have an Impendance of about 16ohms I believe. This amp works best with ear/headphones with an Impendance between 20-200 ohms. So if your getting a hiss that's likely the case. But the volume of the music does drown that out & reveals details previously unheard without an amp. I detected background sounds when listening to NIN that I never heard before! The drums on Tool's "The Grudge" sounded deeper, extended & like completely different type of drums! Voices were more present and life-like.
Just remember to find out your earbud or headphone Impendance beforehand, and if you music is downloaded at a low bitrate (below 320kbps)on your device your gonna lose detail and depth. If your listening to a CD player no worries, but if you have crappy earphones your going to find out quickly that you need to upgrade; such as the low quality earbuds that come with Ipods and Discmen.
They are not flawless as there are high quality portable amps like HeadRoom's, but a good bargain to bring considerably more life to your music.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to get cheap AAAA for the Revolution!, August 9, 2008
Pavan Battar (Port Orange, FL) - See all my reviews
Just a small tip to get AAAAs for cheap:

Take apart a 9v battery, and boom, you have 6 cheap but great AAAAs that work awhile in this!

I've had much better luck Energizers than Duracells, however.

[...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Works as designed, December 23, 2008
GB Amazon "GB3535" (Northern Indiana USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this after already owning an original Boostaroo. All I can say is that this device works exactly as designed. After using both units for some time now, I prefer the original Boostaroo to this version.

The original version uses the more common AA batteries and contains an ON-OFF switch; both features that I like.

If I were ever in the market for another Boostaroo, I would purchase another original model, not this one; not because there is anything wrong with this model.... I just prefer the original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Works, December 13, 2013
Thanks, Boostaroo! This simple, overlooked gain stage makes MUCH difference in downstream audio quality, and they did an excellent job here. The point of big, low-impedance headphones is to let the amplifier work harder for less distortion in the 'phones, themselves. Unfortunately, none of my portable devices could run my (80 ohm) Beyerdynamic DT 770s w/any volume. Welcome Boostaroo! Rockin' out w/my Block Out! AND it's made in AZ, USA! Honestly, I can't see how they're making any $$ selling these for $20, but I'm glad they're giving us an American Option. Sounds Great. Good Job.