Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on May 17, 2013
As in other tank games, you are in control of a tank in isometric (from an angle about 45 degrees, you see it from above) perspective.
An inset radar screen in the lower right corner shows you where enemies (red dots) are.
You move with the virtual joystick on the left side and shoot by tapping the screen towards the enemy tanks and stationary guns - provided you have your turret lined up. A line of dots shows where you are aiming.
The enemy tanks will actively pursue you - the stationary guns won't but will still shoot in your direction.
If your health (structural integrity) runs low, you'll hear a standard alarm, and the green bar on the left will be low. Find a medikit (red cross) to recover and don't engage until you are shipshape again. Hide behind obstacles if necessary.
The movement sensitivity is a bit high but you'll get used to it.
The sound is not very impressive.
It's an entertaining game but has only 30 levels, I wish there were more.
0Comment101 of 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 17, 2013
Crazy Tanks is a great little 3-D game, good for killing a few minutes here and there rather than playing for hours on end. It does make you focus on the game, so for those times when you want a mental break from something else, this might fit the bill. By the way, there is actually not much violence since the tanks mostly disappear in a puff when they get destroyed.

Your green tank is up against a series of red tanks and stationary turrets. Each level is a little different than the others, and while some are more open with a variety of obstacles, there are also some "maze"-like labyrinth levels. You can earn bigger and badder tanks as you go along, and you have three difficulty settings to test your mettle/metal. Apparently there are 30 levels, though I cannot verify that; there are three sets of levels, with the two latter levels needing to be unlocked through gameplay.

The graphics were pretty good, almost excellent. The sounds work well, and there's no annoying music. Each level is decorated in a style, including what I can only describe as a Woodstock yard. Adds an element of humor and variety in the game.

The left-thumb driving control was a bit difficult for me to grasp, but then I'm not used to that type of control interface. If you are comfortable with using a thumb joystick, then you probably won't have a problem. The firing button on the right is more of a suggested tapping place, since you can tap nearly anywhere on the screen to fire. Beware, however, as your cannonballs bounce, and you can end up hitting yourself (and the bad guys can hit themselves, too).

My favorite feature is the radar, which displays your enemies, power-ups, and health pick-ups within range, and the radar's orientation swivels with your tank. Between the radar, the play screen, and other information, your attention is pretty much fully engaged which enhances this battle game. By the way, this is a basic radar, not a map, which might be a nice feature later on... hint, hint ;).

My one issue is that I'd love to have an independent turret control so I could rotate the turret to fire in a different direction than I'm driving. Also, there were no directions but that's not much of an issue since it took just a few seconds to figure out enough to start playing. While on the subject of changes, a zoom feature might also be nice, but since this is a game with a tank, it does add an expected 'realistic' element to the play by ensuring that your tank has a limited field of vision.

You can pause the game and pick up where you left off, but if you leave the game completely you have a choice to "Restore Game" which actually just takes you back to the beginning of the level you were on when you left the game. Might be a good thing for some players.

Lastly, there are NO PERMISSIONS required for this game! That is a huge bonus in my book, and really gave it the fifth star, though for 99-cents, this game is already pretty great.
0Comment209 of 246 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2013
After reading several of the lukewarm reviews, I was pleasantly surprised at how much fun this little shooter is to play. It's got some nice strategy elements, with various obstacles to hide in ambush behind, or use as protection, because believe me, you'll need them. The enemy tanks are quick, agile and will come after you like they're Panzer Jaeger's, and the shells bounce around like a game of pong! The controls are very smooth, and work perfectly well for a game of this type. Hey, it's not Call of Duty, nor was it intended to be, but all the same the game is visually very nicely done. I recommend it, and I wouldn't have complained if I paid for it either, which I didn't.
0Comment101 of 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2013
Controls a bit iffy, and with your tank positioned toward the middle of the screen you can't see too far ahead and have to rely on the radar screen too much.
Rated two stars plus one more for NO PERMISSSIONS NEED!!
0Comment20 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Might just be my device, but I found the tank very difficult to maneuver with the left thumb control. Movements were jerky and seemed to lag quite a bit. I also noticed that when firing the gun if I didn't tap directly on the firing button it would make the tank jerk just before the shot. The jerking got really bad if I tapped anywhere near the left side of the device. I guess the program didn't know if I wanted to more the tank or fire the cannon so it did both.

But on the plus side the graphics were great and the sound effects were spot on. The courses were imaginative and well thought out.

Just wish the controller was a little more responsive on my device (kindle HD fire).
on May 17, 2013
this downloaded and functioned fine on my first gen kindle
this is a cute game - the 3-d graphics are cool - the controls are absolutely annoying but I managed to use them. it got more intense with each passing level and keeps you busy finding your way through the maze and finding the enemy tanks. overall it was an amusing game as the faotd but I would not have bought it as I don't usually play this type of game.
on May 17, 2013
I honestly was glad that this app was free today, because I would only have downloaded this app if I were EXTREMELY bored, with no books or apps left on my kindle fire. The left thumb joy stick was confusing,and was difficult to control. In addition, both the shooting and manuvering controls were way too sensitive. The gameplay was boring,controls were jerky,and the angle was horrible and couldn't be changed! Please take my advice, an the advice of others who probably are glad that they at least deleted a FREE app off of their devices in five minutes. Honestly, ddon't get this app, but if you REAAAAAALLLLYY want to, then be my guest.. Please don't be surprised if it doesn't go anywhere near your expectations.
on May 17, 2013
On the plus side it has nice graphics, and is quick and responsive.

But on the negative, as others have already said in their reviews, it has two main weaknesses:
The movement controls are difficult to use effectively, and you cannot see beyond your immediate area.

The radar system helps with the second item, but it is still annoying that the game has more than just a top-down view of the world, but cannot be made to look beyond where you are.

I don't think the nice graphics alone will keep me playing this.
on May 21, 2013
the controls need some tweeking. I have a Kindle Fire and quickly uninstalled this game after a half dozen attempts at controlling the tank.
on May 19, 2013
Too difficult to steer. Gameplay is not what it should be. The concept is good but the boards are repetitive and easy.easy.