4.0 out of 5 stars Pros and Cons
Published on August 24, 2007 by Pleased

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good nursing pillow; get "My Brest Friend" instead.
Published on December 12, 2008 by H. WONG

4.0 out of 5 stars Pros and Cons, August 24, 2007
Pleased (Starkville, MS United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boppy Bare Naked Pillow (Baby Product)
I nursed my son with the original Boppy for a year. Yes, it is wonderful and everything the other reviewers said. However, my issue is that it begins to "bend" in the middle from use. Really, this is fine...I mean a year of nursing is going to be hard on any pillow. But my main complaint is that the covers they make for these things are NOT waterproof (or spit-up proof). What is the point of a cover? I had to wrap my entire Boppy in saran wrap, then put the cover on to get any protection nd prevent smelly stains. just my two cents.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good nursing pillow; get "My Brest Friend" instead., December 12, 2008
H. WONG (Alhambra, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boppy Bare Naked Pillow (Baby Product)
I completely agree with the review posted by the user: "Jacob's Momma." The Boppy is NOT the ideal pillow for nursing, but it is good for letting my baby lie on to rest/sleep and as a support pillow for burping my baby in a sitting position. For a good nursing pillow, get "My Brest Friend." I got the Boppy first, and it is too soft to support my baby for nursing. It also constantly slips away from me, and my baby tends to slip between me and the Boppy. For these reasons, my back felt strained when I used the Boppy for nursing. Then, I bought "My Brest Friend" and it worked great -- all the problems that I just mentioned were solved -- it's firm and supportive, and it also "locks" around my waist so it won't slip. Check out the reviews for "My Brest Friend" before buying the Boppy as a nursing pillow. Final FYI: I've seen the Boppy sold at Ross for $19.99 and that includes a fleece cover, so keep an eye out for it if you want a bargain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really convenient; not perfect, January 4, 2013
This review is from: Boppy Bare Naked Pillow (Baby Product)
I'm writing this because I remember agonizing over which breastfeeding pillow to register for while I was pregnant, and now that I'm a full-time milk cow, I think a lot about the subject of nursing pillows. I ended up choosing the My Brest Friend, but received a Boppy as a gift anyway.

I have to say - I like both of them and use them all the time.

For nursing:
- My Brest Friend is *far* superior in terms of support during breastfeeding, but it's bulky, a hassle to put on, and its uses end with breastfeeding. (That said, during the marathon nursing sessions that accompany a growth spurt, MBF was a LIFESAVER.) Good for new moms who need to sit down and *focus* when they nurse. Which I'm willing to bet is all new moms, at least for the first weeks or months.

- The Boppy supports about as well as a pillow or two, but its wrap-around shape means you don't have to constantly readjust. The rounded surface, though, definitely results in a rolling infant (especially if you have a squirmy one). I found, as a large-breasted mom who needs to support the breast with one hand throughout the feeding, that having to hold my baby in place with the other hand was a drag (I really think my iPhone is the only reason I'm still nursing). On the other hand, it only takes about 5 seconds to grab the Boppy and put it in place, so I often used it for nighttime feedings before we figured out how to nurse lying down.

For everything else:
- Only the Boppy has more than one purpose, and the lame-sounding "propping" function should not be overlooked. I really don't know how I would get dressed in the morning if I couldn't plunk my 2-month old down in the middle of the bed propped up by the Boppy. Flat on his back, he fusses. In his crib, he wails. Propped up, he smiles and laughs. I have no idea why, but it works.

Bottom line:
If you're looking for a pillow that will make breastfeeding easier for you, especially if you're well-endowed, go for My Brest Friend. If you prize convenience and flexibility over total comfort, go for the Boppy.

If you have a big house or a lot of generous relatives, hell, register for both.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a nursing pillow., July 11, 2008
Jacob's Momma (Louisville, KY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boppy Bare Naked Pillow (Baby Product)
This pillow is great for sitting your baby on your lap or for letting him nap on your lap. It's even better to prop your baby up with for tummy time or to sit. It's not great however for nursing. I talked to a lactation consultant and found that the Boppy was NEVER designed to be a nursing pillow. It was terrible for my back. I couldn't get our baby aligned properly which was very stressful just starting out nursing. I had to prop pillows under both sides to try to get it right. At my lactation appointment they had a My Brest Friend pillow. This pillow is fantastic. It keeps the baby aligned properly with your breast. Which makes it so much easier to get your baby latched on correctly. I have a My Brest Friend at home and in my car for going out. I have been successfully nursing for going on 9 months now. I would never have gotten this far with the Boppy. Please, try the My Brest Friend instead.

*For nursing I give this pillow a rating of 1 star. However, as a pillow to prop your baby for tummy time or to sit up I give this pillow a 4 star rating. All together a rating of 3 stars.*

3.0 out of 5 stars Am I crazy for thinking this is overrated?!, August 17, 2007
This review is from: Boppy Bare Naked Pillow (Baby Product)
I was thrilled to receive this at my baby shower but when the baby arrived and it was time to start using it, I was a bit let-down. I am tall and had to hunch over to nurse- after a short while this became extremely hard on my back. I had a C-section with my daughter and this pillow put more strain on my back and abdomen than I could take. My husband and I still use it, but we have to stuff pillows underneath it to prop up the sides. Also, the cover I wanted cost the same as the pillow- 25.00! I hate when companies exploit their customers by charging ridiculous sums of money for pretty basic goods. I know by now though that people- including my self- will spend any amount of money on anything having to do with babies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you get the one with the Miracle Middle!, November 12, 2008
Jordann Palasota (College Station, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boppy Bare Naked Pillow (Baby Product)
I had the old version of the boppy with my first born and hated it! I had problems with the fit around my waist ( I am a size 10/12) and there was not enough stuffing in the pillow to prop my daughter up to my breast to eat. I had received the new version of the boppy from my mother and decided to give the new version with the 'fits all waists' middle a try. The pillow looked thicker than the old version and it felt like a better fit around my middle. My son is now 14 days old and I have used this pillow everyday to feed him. This pillow does everything that the old version had promised.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overrated and saggy after short use, April 18, 2008
This review is from: Boppy Bare Naked Pillow (Baby Product)
The miracle middle is nothing special, so if you are a plus size mom on the larger side of plus, don't buy this thinking the pillow will stretch and wrap around you. I'm very short and this pillow was in a awkward position while breastfeeding, and wasn't long enough to offer the ever important elbow support. This applies when using the bottle with a heavier baby as well.

The pillow is painfully missing back support, and the middle dips and sags. I only used this pillow for 3-4 months before using one of my regular pillows with a waterproof pad under because it was cumbersome and already losing shape.

Use of this as a baby support is okay, better than a regular pillow, though in a pinch rolled up blankets work fine. While having the ability to customize your pillow style is nice, the added expense for an average product almost negates the pros.

The pillow is said to be machine washable, but given the poor quality of the stuffing inside, do so at your own risk!

5.0 out of 5 stars baby pillows, May 18, 2007
This review is from: Boppy Bare Naked Pillow (Baby Product)
I love this product because, it made it so much easier to nurse my child right after having her, without the pressure or strain on my belly. My daughter loved this pillow she was able to sit up and be very alert at what was going on around her when sitting in the middle of the pillow. It had great support for her back and head (especially for those ages when they cant situp on their own yet) My daughter still takes this pillow around with her everywhere she goes ad she is beyond need for this pillow but its a great pillow for her to lay back and watch TV with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Baby Item EVER!, April 21, 2007
Seth's Mom (Orlando, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boppy Bare Naked Pillow (Baby Product)
The Boppy is an absolute MUST HAVE for every new mom! Even if you are not going to nurse, it helps with supporting the baby during feeding, giving you an extra arm. For me, it was a life saver for those middle of the night feeds, I could rest my son on it, latch him on, recline a bit, and many nights we would both fall back asleep! I buy this item for everyone I know who is expecting a baby now!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Lifesaver - and Backsaver!, April 26, 2007
This review is from: Boppy Bare Naked Pillow (Baby Product)
I used a boppy when I nursed my son. It propped him up to just the right height. Before I got it, I had tried to prop him up with pillows on my lap, desperately attempting to get him into a comfortable position. The Boppy is the perfect size to comfortably nurse. "But it has other uses, yes, far beyond that!" It was also great for helping him sit up, propping him to lay on the floor in about the reclining position of a bouncy seat, and as an obstacle when he was learning to crawl. It was our comfort for many months, and I am just about to purchase one for a friend who is expecting. I recommend this product whole-heartedly to anyone with a new baby.