I fell for the hype by Oxyclean and paid $18 for a large bucket hoping I would have fresh smelling laundry and sparking white whites. I was disappointed with the results.

Published on August 12, 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Borax rocks, this price doesn't
Borax is a great all-around cleaner, and it kills ants and fleas for less money than pesticides. That is, IF you buy it at your local grocery store, Wal-Mart, or hardware store, where the same size box is $4 or less. This $12 price is gouging!
Published on March 11, 2011 by Vi

5.0 out of 5 stars CHEAP laundry booster that deodorizes and whitens without bleach, August 12, 2010
This review is from: Borax Laundry Booster, 76 oz Box (Grocery)

One time I was shopping at local grocery store and I happened to see 20 Mules Borax on the shelf and was reading the box and curiosity was piqued and since it was only 3 dollars for the box, I thought no harm in trying in my laundry. Well, after several washes with noticeably fresh smelling laundry and definitely noticeable white towels with no bleach being used, I was sold on this product.

I highly recommend in using this product. Previously I also used baking soda with my laundry detergent to get the smell out and it did not work as well as Borax.

I use Borax as laundry booster with one of those ecogreen liquid laundry detergents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great flea killer!, July 8, 2008
M. Johnson (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I've used 20 Mule Team Borax for decades to be safely rid of fleas. I sprinkle it lightly over my carpets after every vacuuming. Walking on the carpet pounds it into the carpet backing. No more costly and toxic dips or sprays since I discovered this. I always have a box handy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Borax cheaper at Walmart, December 12, 2009
Call around to your local Walmarts to see which one carries this and you'll save on the shipping, plus it'll be cheaper. I just bought this for $2.98 at my local Walmart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute gift from God if you have severely moldy clothes, August 11, 2011
This review is from: Borax Laundry Booster, 76 oz Box (Grocery)
Update:

I've been meaning to update this review, so that people don't feel like I tricked them. As my review below states, Borax worked when many other methods did not. But just as a full disclaimer, I must admit that the moldy smell did eventually come back to my clothes. When the Borax and detergent alone became insufficient, I added Oxyclean, and that helped for a while too. Ultimately, though, the smell just keeps coming back for me.

I think my situation is unique in that my entire wardrobe was contaminated for almost a year in the place I lived in, so if there is even a trace of mold left on a few items, they infect the rest all over again. Seriously, FIVE years later and I'm still dealing with it every day. Short of throwing out every article of cloth I own, I don't know what to do. The most sincere advice I can give is this: if you have something musty/moldy that you try to clean a few times and the smell persists, admit defeat, treat it like it's radioactive, and THROW IT AWAY IMMEDIATELY.

Original review:

100% recommended! Honestly, this stuff worked when NOTHING else did. If you have moldy smelling clothes, use this.

I lived in the foggy side of SF for a year and unfortunately had to store my clothes in a wooden closet that smelled musty. As a result my clothes became absolutely saturated with mold, and for the past three years I have been trying to get it out. Honestly, it started out slow and I tried to remove the shirts I smelled that were infected, but eventually it spread to my entire wardrobe.

I tried vinegar, of course, which everyone always suggests. It didn't work a lick, and it's ineffectiveness is part of the reason the mold kept spreading. My advice: Don't waste your time on vinegar if it doesn't fully work the first time. I also tried bleach on my whites - didn't work - or I should say, seemed to work fairly well in that my clothes smelled like bleach instead of mold, but the mold smell came right back after one use and regular wash. I even tried intense heat at the behest of my mother - did. not. work. And it shrunk my clothes.

Maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places for help, but these three suggestions were all I could find. Literally the night before I was about to throw 30+ shirts and half a dozen pants in the trash, having finally admitted defeat, I came upon a website that had a user forum, and someone suggested this. BAM! Worked like a charm, and I was literally smiling from ear to ear - it was like winning the Super Bowl, given how many times I'd fought the mold and lost.

Other stuff like Oxyclean and SmellyClothes (or something) were suggested as well, but I never tried them since this works - and it's uber cheap to boot. Awesome.

I've been using it for the past few months each time I wash my clothes, just to play it safe - and because it brightens clothes too, which is nice. No mold smell has been detected, and I've grown unbelievably sensitive to the smell, so it is definitely gone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cleaner, January 16, 2008
Borax might be old fashioned, but it is the best cleaner I have every used! And it is all purpose...you can use it in every room for practically every cleaning need including dishes and in your laundry! The nice thing about Borax is that it doesn't have any perfumes but instead naturally deordorizes while it cleans. I have used 20 Mule Team Borax also to remove stains from fabrics effectively. I have also used it instead of harsh cleansers for my sinks, stove, and countertops. Overall, I recommend 20 Mule Team Borax as an economical, higly effective, and natural cleaner.

5.0 out of 5 stars And the list goes on...., December 9, 2011
It's amazing how our ancestors could use natural products to get the job done for so many years, and yet we find it hard to let go of the "new and improved" mindset that not only costs us more but also pollutes our world. Through the years I have learned of the many uses for borax, besides the commonly known laundry booster, and I will list a few of them here in hopes that someone might find them useful.

1. Frontloading washer deodorizer: I have a frontloading washer that I absolutely adore, but I find that sometimes it has a musty odor that transfers to newly cleaned clothing. This especially happens during the summer. I have tried leaving the door ajar when not in use, and I've also tried adding plenty of bleach to my white towels to "shock" it with no luck. There is even an expensive product that is being sold to deodorize your washer. I decided to try putting about ˝ cup of Borax into the washer before loading the clothing, and that did the job. No more odor. I only have to do this occasionally to keep things fresh. A cheap and easy fix, and it is also working as a laundry booster at the same time.

2. Flea killer: I lived in Miami for a couple of years and also in San Diego. People in both cities told me that they had the honor (just kidding) of being the "flea capital of the world." When I first moved to Miami, I overheard a woman in the grocery aisle explaining how she was finally able to cancel the twice-per-month exterminator visits to her home to kill all the fleas her little boy was allergic to. Her exterminator finally told her to buy some 20 Mule Team Borax and mix it 50/50 with table salt, sprinkle it all over her carpets, lightly drag a broom over it to help work it into the carpet, and then don't vacuum for at least 3 days. Even when you do vacuum, some will still remain in the carpet fibers. She did this, and she hadn't had a single flea in over a year. I immediately bought the Borax and salt and treated my home. I never had a single flea in Miami or San Diego from that day forward, in spite of the fact that I had dogs who had ALWAYS been infested with fleas everywhere we lived. Apparently any fleas that came in on the dogs would jump off and die. I really don't know the purpose of the salt, and maybe you don't need it, but I wasn't going to take a chance. I've lived in many states since then, and that was 28 years ago. I haven't seen a flea in my home or on my pets in all those years.

3. Silly Putty: Okay, maybe this isn't something you really need, but it's fun to make this homemade version if you have kids or grandkids. Mix 1 teaspoon of borax into 3/4 cup of lukewarm water till mostly dissolved. Slowly mix this solution into a cup of white Elmer's glue. If you want it colored, mix a few drops of food coloring into the glue first. Work the Borax/glue mixture with your hands until it is no longer sticky and resembles the texture of Silly Putty. It may take a few minutes, but it will get there. Keep in a ziploc bag in the refrigerator. If you prefer a Slime or Gak texture, then mix 1/2 cup of glue with 1/2 cup of water, color it, and then slowly mix the borax water solution into it. It will be a thinner, stringy concoction. Work it with your hands till it is well blended.

5.0 out of 5 stars way too expensive, May 26, 2011
this is $3 at target and i have a target card that saves 5% everyshopping trip so if you combine them you save eeven more although its not much it adds up just get it at target or walmart imsure they have it also this is an outragous price for the same oz.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great All Around Cleaner, March 26, 2009
I use this in the dishwasher when I run out of my 7th Generation or Melaleuca. It's 100% safe. Contains no phosphates. I also use it to add to the water to wash my kitchen and bathroom floors. If you need your cleaner to have that "clean" smell, just add some essential oil to it. I've used lemon, tea tree oil, lavendar and eucalyptus. They all smell great and make me want to use the Borax all the time, and why wouldn't you! It's safe around kids and pets.
Oh, and I forgot to mention, it keeps the spiders, centipedes and other pests at bay too. Just sprinkle around your walls in the basement or where ever you have a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for laundry, no irritating perfumes !, September 28, 2009
My laundry, white and colored, comes out nice and bright, without need for bleach. No irritating and annoying scent to make me sneeze.
I dont use any other detergent. Best prices at Walmart and Shoprite. You may have to ask for it, sometimes it's not very visible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely essential! No more musty odor., December 27, 2010
Barb (Bountiful, Utah United States) - See all my reviews
During a conversation with several neighborhood ladies, the subject of laundry problems arose. Towels with a definite UNfresh odor was a common problem. Stepping out of the shower, clean and fragrant, only to dry off with a smelly towel is counterproductive. I researched the issue and found the following advice:
1. Use towels only once or twice. (already doing that)
2. Leave washer door open after removing load, allowing it to air dry. (already doing that)
3. Switch from liquid to powder detergent. (don't ask me why, but it works -- I use HE for my front loading machine)
4. Add borax to the wash.
Borax? That stuff my grandmother used? YES! Why did this stuff go out of style? It's fantastic!
This isn't on the shelves at my regular grocery store, so thank heavens for Amazon.
Addendum: a splash of vinegar in the rinse cycle instead of liquid fabric softener works great.

Borax Laundry Booster, 76 oz Box