5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Put It Down!!
Published on January 18, 2012 by Patricia C. Doerner

3.0 out of 5 stars Good job....
Michael Weems does a good job of writing an action-packed, can't -put-it-down thriller with characters with believable motives linked to slightly unbelievable actions.

Weems weaves together several plots about Mexican cartels and their murderous effects on a number of characters.

Caught some proof reading/ editorial errors, but I thought that as a...
Published on March 21, 2012 by Aldown

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Put It Down!!, January 18, 2012
This review is from: Border Crossings: A Catherine James Thriller (Kindle Edition)
Bought this at the "special price" of .99 and cannot imagine that it has not been handled by a publishing company. It is timely and terrifically exciting, with alternate scenarios vying with each other for first-place interest. There are a few errors (grammar, etc.) that an editor would have caught, but this ex-English prof. found them almost inconsequential. More Weems, please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Is there a part two???, January 1, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. From the first chapter, I could not put it down and read it all the way to the end in one day. It has a sort of 'Crash' feel to it but yet it is not quite that. It's a lot more! The writing is excellent and character development is very well done (in my opinion). Descriptions are vivid and I was immersed in the characters' feelings, fears, joys etc. Quite a ride from start to end! That's all I will say since I don't want to spoil it for others who have not read it. Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good job...., March 21, 2012

Caught some proof reading/ editorial errors, but I thought that as a "free" book this was well above the norm.

As a reader I became caught up in the protagonists desire for revenge, but I thought there were way too many dead bodies to make the narrative a completely believable story about a tourist kidnapped, tortured, and raped by members o f a Mexican cartel, and the ensuing consequences. Side-stories include a love-interest between the two heroes (of course) but also an interesting look at the border sex trade and the fate of the prostitutes involved.

Although I gave this novel only three stars because of plot and editorial flaws, I admit it compelled me to "read the whole story" because I wanted to find out what happened, in a twenty-four hour period.

All in all, a good read. I was impressed by the ability of Weems to tell a story well, and happy to get this as a freebie.

5.0 out of 5 stars OH MY GOSH !, March 17, 2012
I am only half way through this book. I shouldn't be here typing, I should be reading. This book is excellent. You can read the other posts for their input but you must read this one. The characters, the story, everyting is riveting. I LOVE IT. I don't want to finish it since then it will be over. I want this read to keep going and going. I'm telling everyone about it !

The grandkids left after being here three days and I just finished this book. The second half was better than the first half, which is hard to believe, since the first half was excellent.

I hope there will be more to come with Catherine and Matt. In any case, I read Ghosts of Varner Creek and now Border Crossing and I will absolutely read anything and everything Mr. Weems pens. He is brillant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really a pretty good novel., July 15, 2012
This is obviously a self-published, self-printed, self-edited book. But it is not bad. Physically, the book is excellent. I took one star away because the editing should have been done more professionally. Not just the misspellings which were irritants more than anything else, but some grammar flaws and some similes and metaphors that went on and on. The first couple of chapters are full of annoying similes that really detract from the story. A professional editor would have toned that down. Also the software that was used to print my copy of the book was terrible. It never right justified, left words dangling into a new sentence, and the sentences were jagged...which does affect the eyes when speed reading like I do. And rebar is not ribar! And using "to try and...do anything" is very poor grammar. Always it should be "to try to...do something."

That said, this book read very fast. Basically two story lines that eventually intersect somewhat. I never felt I knew the James character well enough. What was she...lawyer, consultant, PI...? All were mentioned. Why was she so knowledgeable about guns? Her partner's character was much better developed. The prostitutes and the madam were well-sketched. Unfortunately, the first girl killed in this novel was just ignored throughout the book. I wonder why?

I do recommend this book and I am about to order another by Mr Weems.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of action, July 21, 2012
Mexican drug cartels and prostitute rings are not my favorite subjects. But I do like to mix up my genres and try new authors. Once I got through the college kids gone wild scene in the beginning, I found the rest of the book to be rather well crafted, with some wonderful, intensely written scenes. I would read more by this author, as I see great promise in his style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic!, March 7, 2012
Michael Weems is sure to get bombarded with requests for more books! After reading "The Ghosts of Varner Creek", I knew I was going to read "Border Crossings" and was blown away once again. This author has a true gift for bringing his characters to life. He gives each of his characters personality and depth effortlessly. The plot is very engaging, exciting, and real. Many of us know about the cartels in Mexico but through his descriptions, Michael Weems lets us "see" these cartels and the horror they havoc not only in Mexico but in the US as well. The female protagonist was fantastic and I was completely on her side when she decided to "fight fire with fire".
I can't believe a publishing house didn't snatch this book up. It's their loss! Highly, highly recommend!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Anxious for more!, February 5, 2012
I have read this book and Mr.Weems' other book, The Ghost of Varner Creek, really I could not put either of them down. I get so tired of that statement, but I REALLY didn't want to stop reading them. I am so excited for Mr. Weems next book to come out. If the rest of his work is like these first two, I have a new favorite author! I would love to tell these publishers that they need to grab him up before someone else does. He is going to make someone a lot of money with his stories. I wish I were a publisher, it wouldn't take me any time to sign him up.I hate page fillers and that is one thing Mr. Weems doesn't do. Every sentence is necessary and drives you on to the next. Please don't stop writing Mr. Weems, you have a very special talent that so many famous writers don't. Have you started your 3rd book? You are on a great roll right now, go with it! Thank you for giving this old grandma something fresh to read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, November 21, 2012
I enjoyed the beginning of the book a lot. After that, it was all downhill. An American girl on spring break is kidnapped in Mexico. The Mexican police seem less inclined to find out what happened and who was responsible, so the parents ask a lawyer friend of theirs, Katherine, who has friends in high places in Mexico, to help them find the truth. Things get difficult, so Katherine calls in an old boyfriend who is in special ops, or special forces, or something similar,to leave the jungles of South America to come to help her. From there on foward, the story devolves into torturing and killing the bad guys, with great justifications for doing so. This story has no subtlety, no cleverness, no detecting, and no point except that taking justice into your own violent hands is terrific, especially if those you are torturing and killing are from across the border. If you like pages describing torture, killing, and gun fights, this is a book for you. If you like some depth and finesse, I'd skip it. Having visited Mexico a number of times, I was offended by the denigration of the Mexican police with no recognition of where cartels get their weapons in the first place. The book presents an entirely superficial picture of very real, and serious issues. It's a good story line ruined by endless blood and guts..

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast read, February 11, 2012
Amazingly quick read. Great story that left few loose ends. Slightly predictable but none the less entertaining. Definitely leaves a great opening for a sequel and ongoing character franchise. Highly recommend