5.0 out of 5 stars Visceral
Published 10 months ago by CMM

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice new CD
JMM is fresh and rugged...just not quite as great as the Economy CD and I was expecting more. Do love Future/past. Got to me in record time. thanks
Published 8 months ago by billwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Visceral, March 5, 2014
This review is from: Borderland (Audio CD)
I enjoy watching an artist's style evolve from album to album. Sometimes there is little to no change in style, and in the worst cases they stagnate in an attempt to recapture their early successes. But my favorite artists, the ones I become true long-term fans of, find a new creative voice on each record. Even though both of his previous albums were great, John Mark McMillan didn't take a huge creative step between The Medicine and Economy. He made up for that with Borderland, taking a leap from his last album both lyrically and musically.

There is not a single throwaway track on this album, and it is filled with brilliant smaller moments--the saxophone on "Monsters Talk," the pre-chorus lyrics of "Borderland," the bridge/ending to "Counting On," "Tongues of Fire," and "Silver Shore," the understated chorus to "Visceral."

So forget easy qualifiers like "Christian" or "worship," and simply enjoy this album for the great piece of music it is. Let it affect and inspire you. It is a very personal, visceral piece of music that deserves whatever praise it gets. John Mark McMillan has set the bar high for future releases, but he's proven that he's up to the task of bettering his craft and surprising his fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, March 4, 2014
This review is from: Borderland (Audio CD)
I backed the creation of this album on Kickstarter, so I got it early. JMM did it again; ever since first listen it won't leave my head. Guns / Napoleon is my favorite thus far, but the whole thing is incredible. And Monsters Talk will leave you wanting to play air saxophone for days. I recommend you buy this album now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Borderland, Shmorderland!, March 23, 2014
This review is from: Borderland (MP3 Music)
Okay, okay! We get it, John Mark. You are awesome at music.

You don't have to rub it in our face and force us to play the CD over and over until it has a hole burned through. Real considerate, sir! Yep, we'll be singing these catchy tunes ad nauseam and lose all our friends. Thanks, again!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Christian albums of 2014, March 6, 2014
This review is from: Borderland (MP3 Music)
I've always liked John Mark McMillan, but it wasn't until Borderland that I loved him. His lyricism is just as strong as it's always been, and I love the additions of electronic drums and synthesized strings. Love At The End may end up being my favorite song of the year, and if something beats it out, then that song will be absolutely incredible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the Best JMM Yet, March 5, 2014
This review is from: Borderland (MP3 Music)
Normally I wait a few days before reviewing an album, because sometimes my opinion changes as the songs really settle in on me. This one's hard to wait on. Been listening to it all day and it just keeps growing on me. Borderland (the song) is amazing and maybe my favorite.

5.0 out of 5 stars John Mark does it again!, March 4, 2014
This review is from: Borderland (MP3 Music)
Another incredible album by John Mark.
The album opens up with Holy Ghost as an angelic choir sings along
"Dead in the water
Like lamb to the slaughter
If the wind doesn’t sing her song
And I’m speaking in tongues
Cause I need a Holy Ghost"
Very thought provoking lyrics in the opening track.
He continues with the emotional "Love at the End" with it's piano driven and dark sounding style with lyrics of hope and persevering. John Mark doesn't let off the gas this entire album with other highlights like Future/Past, which seems destined for worship sets across the church. Other high points like the album titled Borderland and Monster Talk, along with the powerful closing track Visceral rounds out this album as an early contender for worship album of the year. I highly recommend you check this out, along with his earlier work if you're new to John Mark McMillan

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Work, July 24, 2014
This review is from: Borderland (Audio CD)
Full of melody and beautiful lyrics, this indie rock album deserves much praise. Songs like "Silver Shore" and "Future/Past" have deep meaning to people of faith, and humans all. This is worth your money. I bypass a lot of indie rock because it's just too whacky, but this album uses the indie style for a purpose much larger than you'd typically see, and there's a lot of emotional intelligence displayed by McMillan. He's accessed something both savvy and sentimental. Check it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars All the songs on here are good. Most of them are amazing, October 20, 2014
This review is from: Borderland (MP3 Music)
All the songs on here are good. Most of them are amazing. You will love them and they will get stuck in your head.

If you are an audio engineer, you may notice this album is mastered in a very unique style that makes it sound overly saturated, compressed, and distorted. It didn't stop me from enjoying the album, but I wasn't a huge fan of the mastering style.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Christian World Needs This, July 2, 2014
This review is from: Borderland (MP3 Music)
The Christian world needs this. It's bold, creative, and makes you think. FINALLY some music with lyrics that really challenge your mind and make you ponder the heavy things in life that really matter.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice new CD, May 11, 2014

Borderland
Borderland by John Mark Mcmillan (Audio CD - 2014)