Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Borderland
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 4, 2014
I backed the creation of this album on Kickstarter, so I got it early. JMM did it again; ever since first listen it won't leave my head. Guns / Napoleon is my favorite thus far, but the whole thing is incredible. And Monsters Talk will leave you wanting to play air saxophone for days. I recommend you buy this album now.
on March 23, 2014
Okay, okay! We get it, John Mark. You are awesome at music.

You don't have to rub it in our face and force us to play the CD over and over until it has a hole burned through. Real considerate, sir! Yep, we'll be singing these catchy tunes ad nauseam and lose all our friends. Thanks, again!
on February 18, 2015
I don't have enough time to write the review I would like to, so I'll keep this short and sweet for the average listener. John Mark McMillan has a way with words and with music that is on a different level than a lot of artists. His visionary mind and meticulously thought-through lyrical pictures paint an album that, from start to finish is hard to compare to any other musical album I've heard before. He strings together song after song that captures real, vibrant pictures of daily life: dealing with spiritual themes, family, love, and the creator JMM goes farther than any other Christian artist has before. This is in my opinion truly one of the best albums out there to date, and anyone who has 60 minutes to spare should sit down and listen closely to this. Well done, John Mark McMillan.
on March 5, 2014
Normally I wait a few days before reviewing an album, because sometimes my opinion changes as the songs really settle in on me. This one's hard to wait on. Been listening to it all day and it just keeps growing on me. Borderland (the song) is amazing and maybe my favorite.
on April 6, 2014
JMM has had his place in my book, musically, the last several years when a friend first introduced me to his work. His style and sound are quite unique, being in the blurred lines between folk/80's/southern rock. But when I bought BORDERLAND several weeks ago, he has left his 'unique' position in my musical preferences and has taken one of the 'top' spots among my favorites. Truly, I cannot complain about one song on this album, nor can I pinpoint any track that feels like a filler.

Lyrically, I feel safe to say this is his most poignantly poetic song-writing, and combined with duel drum sets, soaring guitars and smart usage of strings, BORDERLAND packs a wallop I did not expect. JMM is one of those guys who somehow gets away with such theologically-based music that appeals to a large crowd. Whether you're religious or not, his music doesn't come across as preachy at all, but his sincerity easily brings excitement regardless if you're sharing his same convictions or not---kind of like old folk-blue grass / americana: there's just something about it that everyone feels within them and can truly enjoy. Like Cash and Dylan, JMM is maturing into that type of musician.
on March 4, 2014
Another incredible album by John Mark.
The album opens up with Holy Ghost as an angelic choir sings along
"Dead in the water
Like lamb to the slaughter
If the wind doesn’t sing her song
And I’m speaking in tongues
Cause I need a Holy Ghost"
Very thought provoking lyrics in the opening track.
He continues with the emotional "Love at the End" with it's piano driven and dark sounding style with lyrics of hope and persevering. John Mark doesn't let off the gas this entire album with other highlights like Future/Past, which seems destined for worship sets across the church. Other high points like the album titled Borderland and Monster Talk, along with the powerful closing track Visceral rounds out this album as an early contender for worship album of the year. I highly recommend you check this out, along with his earlier work if you're new to John Mark McMillan
on March 6, 2014
I've always liked John Mark McMillan, but it wasn't until Borderland that I loved him. His lyricism is just as strong as it's always been, and I love the additions of electronic drums and synthesized strings. Love At The End may end up being my favorite song of the year, and if something beats it out, then that song will be absolutely incredible.
on July 24, 2014
Full of melody and beautiful lyrics, this indie rock album deserves much praise. Songs like "Silver Shore" and "Future/Past" have deep meaning to people of faith, and humans all. This is worth your money. I bypass a lot of indie rock because it's just too whacky, but this album uses the indie style for a purpose much larger than you'd typically see, and there's a lot of emotional intelligence displayed by McMillan. He's accessed something both savvy and sentimental. Check it out.
on July 2, 2014
The Christian world needs this. It's bold, creative, and makes you think. FINALLY some music with lyrics that really challenge your mind and make you ponder the heavy things in life that really matter.
on March 7, 2014
If Pitchfork took a second to review "Borderland", it would be included in the "Best New Music" section. But alas, they will not and for that they will miss out on one of the absolute best albums of 2014. A masterpiece that deserves your listening ear!

Do not miss John Mark McMillan's best yet.