5.0 out of 5 stars Two-disc set

Published 2 months ago by John D. Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars Two-disc set, October 8, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Borderlands 2: Game of the Year Edition (Video Game)
This edition comes with two discs. The first one has no title, but the second disc is titled "Add-on Disc." When you run the second disc it brings a menu up with one option: "Install Expansion Pack." Once you click on that you are given a list of all the content to install and can choose to deselect content you already have. This list includes the collector's edition, premiere club, creature slaughter dome and Psycho contents just to name a few. HAPPY HUNTING!

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Good Sequel Should Be, December 26, 2013
This review is from: Borderlands 2: Game of the Year Edition (Video Game)
The original Borderlands was a good, if flawed, game that combined full on first person shooter action with RPG elements. While Fallout III (another first person RPG) focused more on the RPG aspect (the VATS mode, where combat is temporarily taken out of the arena of reflexes, and instead depends entirely on stats, was ample evidence that Bethesda knew the limits of the game's FPS mechanics), Borderlands put twitchy action first, with the RPG elements there to essentially keep the player engaged beyond the mechanics. As unique as the game's cel-shaded look, pick up and play online co-op questing, and overall quirky feel were, the game did suffer from a few flaws. Namely, the game's characters and storyline progression were muddled and sort of buried, Pandora's desolate environments tended to blend together, and extended play sessions could become extremely tedious. The promise was definitely there, but the execution was just a bit short of the game's ambitions.

Borderlands 2, fortunately, delivers on that promise extensively. This review is for the Game of the Year Edition, which takes the already impressive "vanilla" Borderlands 2 game, and packages it with a second disc to install the 4 major downloadable campaigns, 2 additional characters, and a couple odds and ends. That's right; Gearbox wisely learned that we don't want that voucher @#$#@$!, and want something that will work if we fire up the old Xbox 360/PS3 a decade later, after the servers no longer have that DLC up. So a word of warning- make sure you have enough hard drive space (probably at least 7-8 gigs). Unfortunately, the GOTY Edition does not include the "Headhunter" mini-expansions that just came out, nor does it include the latest level cap increase. That being said, this edition of the game has a lot of gameplay packed in there. On my single playthrough as a Gunzerker, I've clocked around 95 hours after completing all the campaigns, and most, but not all, of the sidequests.

While the original Borderlands essentially threw you onto an alien planet with the vague goal of "find and open the hidden alien vault", Borderlands 2 has a much more out-front story, involving a corporate villain named Handsome Jack, who has somehow taken credit for the original Vault Hunters' deeds from the first game. The game begins with him double-crossing a new team of Vault Hunters, thus setting the conflict up from the get-go. During the course of the game, you run into the now-discredited old Vault Hunters, who are trying to fight the tyranny of Jack (who has essentially declared his intent to rule Pandora), as well as other characters old (Scooter, Tannis, Marcus) and new (Tiny Tina, and a host of other NPCs). The humor is much more pronounced, which can be both a good thing and a bad thing. Fighting "shirtless men" volleyball players at a bandit airbase in an obvious reference to Top Gun is pretty entertaining, as are the violent verbal outbursts of Randy Savage-wannabe Mr. Torgue, but by the same token, the constant sardonic, pop-culture/internet meme savvy, relentlessly self-aware, almost hipsterish "Really? Seriously?" tone is bound to annoy at some point. The game's unmistakeably prominent personality is a double-edged sword, but it does certainly keep it from being another grim po-faced military shooter.

It's much harder to find fault with the rest of the game, though. Borderlands 2 manages to be modern and old-school at the same time. The character ability progression, constant allure of finding new cool weapons, vehicular combat, and slick controls all fit in perfectly with current gaming, as do the vast, open environments. By the same token, however, you'll find the kind of elaborate area layouts (complete with dead ends, and all manner of nooks and crannies) you'd find back in the days of Doom II, as opposed to the linear, simplified level design many shooters use currently. On a similar note, when many shooters seem content to have a limited selection of enemies, Borderlands 2 is bursting with variety, and even more so in the GOTY Edition. Mutated madmen, enraged nomads, corporate soldiers, armed bandits in jeeps and hover-gunships, robot walkers, flying drones, transforming fliers, killer arachnids, multi-armed giant primates, burrowing underground monsters, wolf-beasts, crystalline hulks, chameleon-like deadly lizards, monstrous flying insects, pirates, ghosts, biker gangs, unbalanced corporate goons, titanic insectoid walkers, deadly flying spoors, alien scorpions, savage cultists..........oh, and orcs, skeletons, dragons, knights, wizards, and dwarves. I've managed to miss more than a few enemy types in my list, so as you can tell, there's a lot of variety. The environments also have more variety this time around, even if there's some blatant resource recycling. Icy wastelands, temperate highlands, deserts, irradiated volcanic fields, frontier towns, swamps, and even some more developed areas await you. Places like Hayter's Folly (an oasis hidden in a cave system), the vast scale of the Caustic Caverns, which only appear after a major story event, and "The Beatdown", a Detroit-like urban area taken over by psychotic gangs, are just a couple of many well-designed environments. Like many western RPGs, to get the full experience of the game, you need to tackle side quests constantly, as they not only provide experience points, they also expose you to characters and areas outside the main questline. Oh, and they are often quite amusing.

The expansions are all surprisingly meaty, and together provide a huge amount of bang for the buck (enough to easily make it worth the purchase even if you have the non-GOTY version). What's more impressive is the fact that the core game itself never felt compromised in favor of cutting content for it to only be resold later as DLC. The expansions all feel connected as part of the whole experience, but are still separate enough to avoid feeling like just cut content. All 4 expansions are high quality, but the last one, "Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep" is particularly noteworthy, as it takes the game in a fairly different direction, turning the game into a loving parody of the fantasy genre, set in a set of fantasy-themed zones that you can still jump back and forth from with the rest of the game areas.

If there's a weakness, aside from the occasionally overbearing "this is teh LOLZ!!!!" humor, it's that, as before, extended play sessions can become tedious after a while. While this game has definitely improved on keeping the environments from blending together as much as the first game's did, Pandora is still a relatively desolate place, and the game's heavy reliance on, well, shooting stuff can make it hard to play more than a few hours in a row. But this is something that most games with a lot of content unavoidably suffer from, and it's nothing that taking a day off in between sessions won't easily fix. All things considered, this game is one of the better ones to emerge from its generation. For people who never played the base version of Borderlands 2, and for those who did, but didn't bother with the DLC, this one is a no brainer.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good value, lots of content, November 2, 2013
This review is from: Borderlands 2: Game of the Year Edition (Video Game)
This edition of borderlands 2 comes with 2 discs, the main play disc and the content disc. The content disc comes with the four expansions, 2 new classes, and the level cap increase to 62, however you will still need to get the pack off of your respective marketplace for $5 to get the level cap increase to 72. Even though the other lvl increase is left out, this is still a great value and well worth the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive but tolerable, August 7, 2014
John D. Ford (Lexington, KY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Borderlands 2: Game of the Year Edition (Video Game)
‎I played through the game basically at the insistence of my room-mate, who claimed it was one of his favorite games, and that he has beaten it more than five times. He also couldn’t get any of his other friends to play it anymore, it being a rather old game which was released in 2012. Nearly every time he and I both shared some free time, he would be pestering me to play this game. So, desirous of something which we could enjoy in common, I agreed.

I have to say I didn’t really enjoy the game all that much. One nickname for the game on the Internet is “Snorederblands 2,” and that’s because of the game’s essential “Diablo with guns” gameplay: that is to say, endless waves of repetitive enemies which drop incrementally more effective loot that you can use to power up your character. Sounds awesome in theory, but in practice you get tired of facing the same five or six groups of enemies for 40 hours rather quickly.

A lot of the thrill of such a game comes from its incremental rewards: finding a neat piece of loot when you kill a difficult boss or open an obscure chest. However, Gearbox (the creators of “Borderlands”) introduced a system in “Borderlands 2” that completely circumvented the need to find loot. They added a “Golden Chest” in the middle of the main city that you could open for rare and powerful items — more powerful than anything you would find in an initial playthrough. To open this chest you need “Golden Keys” which are acquired by entering codes from social media into a special dialog box buried in the “Extras” menu. The problem is, Gearbox left a lot of the codes active for the life of the game, and they have long since been collected on various websites for anyone to use. Combine that with my room-mate’s almost weekly notifications that new codes were available, and I opened the Golden Chest 5 - 10 times with every level that I gained, and I think I still have over 150 keys left. It totally removed the incremental reward system from the game, which was sort of a bummer.

The dialogue and humor of the game is often frequently mentioned as a strong point, and while I found it amusing, it never really “clicked” with me to the point where I found it hilarious. It seemed to verge almost completely on “Internet humor” with death and mayhem and memes. Human life is a cheap trifling thing in a game like Borderlands. But, I guess that’s true for all video games.

I was playing as the melee-centric character “Krieg” the “Psycho,” and once I got his ultimate “Mania” tree power — the ability to grow twice in size and deal out twice as much melee damage — I started to have a lot more fun. I stacked a bunch of other bonuses with my various skills and items so at the end I think I had something like 600% melee damage, when raging. I was doing 100 - 105K in melee strikes by the end of the game, probably nothing compared to a level capped character, but it seemed like a lot to me, at level 36. Combined with the 50% damage reduction I got while raging, I was basically an unstoppable maelstrom of death as long as I found a good place to retreat to once it wore off.
My room-mate played as “Maya” the “Siren” character, who specializes in healing and/or crowd control. Unlike myself, who stuck with one build through the whole game, he shifted around his skill points as the situation demanded, or as whim struck him. He is a far more skilled gamer than I am, regularly getting 2.0 K/D in Call of Duty matches, so his effectiveness with a sniper rifle was very useful. He also eventually got the ultimate skill, a “battle res” that could instantly revive me from death, which was useful when I could charge into a situation a little over my head.

All-in-all I’d give “Borderlands 2” a hesitant “thumbs up,” and a rating of three stars out of five. I enjoyed my time with it, but due to its repetitive nature I could really only stomach it in segments of an hour to two hours of play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Played through this entire GOTY edition, and I never saw anybody with anything *approaching* a goatee. Ha-HA!, October 1, 2014
This review is from: Borderlands 2: Game of the Year Edition (Video Game)
Reported for false advertising. Played through this entire GOTY edition, and I never saw anybody with anything *approaching* a goatee. Ha-HA!
***DAD JOKE DETECTED. DAD JOKE DETECTED. OPENING AIRLOCKS. VENTING ATMOSPHERE.***
Ah, crap. Knew I shouldn't have installed that. Supposed to keep the Claptraps in line. God, they're rubbing off on me.
I hate this place.

-Handsome Jack, CEO Hyperion Corporation (Borderlands is developed by Gearbox Software and published by 2K)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value for Amazing Game, October 15, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Borderlands 2: Game of the Year Edition (Video Game)
"Borderlands 2" has become one of my favorite games of all time. Once you get into this world, it's hard to get out. As someone who paid over $100 for the original game plus all DLC packs, I can tell you this is a steal at $40.

The level of depth to this game is mind-boggling -- from the brilliant comedy writing and pop-culture references to the distinctive character classes and RPG progression system. Combined with the fast-paced gameplay and over-the-top futuristic weapons, this game may be both my favorite FPS *and* my favorite RPG.

The clever use of high-contrast, comic-book-style graphics gives this game an unmatched visual aesthetic that will continue to look great even as we enter the next generation of consoles. (Although, if they re-release it running at 60 fps on the PS4, I would happily buy it again.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Additional purchase required., August 19, 2014
This review is from: Borderlands 2: Game of the Year Edition (Video Game)
The game is Diablo X Call of Duty. A must buy if you love loot. With that said, Borderlands 2 is a MASSIVE game with TONS of content. The GOTY Edition gives you most of it, but NOT all of it. If you want to own 100% of what Borderlands 2 has to offer, you have to hit up Xbox Live and purchase the following.

Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 2 (Raised level cap to 72) 652 MB $4.99
Headhunter 1: Bloody Harvest 549 MB $2.99
Headhunter 2: Wattle Gobbler 1.22 GB $2.99
Headhunter 3: Mercenary Day 1.22 GB $2.99
Headhunter 4: Wedding Day Massacre 1.04 GB $2.99
Headhunter 5: Son of Crawmerax 1.04 GB $2.99

The Headhunter add-ons aren't considered major expansions like the ones you get in the GOTY Edition, but they add a new boss with each one and new loot. In my opinion they're a must buy if you love Borderlands 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny Tina is my Spirit Animal., September 19, 2014
This review is from: Borderlands 2: Game of the Year Edition (Video Game)
all around the stactus plant the stalker chased the bandit, the stalker thought t'was all in fun
POP
goes the bandit.
I LOVED playing this game...I wasn't interested in it at first because my boyfriend would play it for hours, but as soon as he got to tiny tinas workshop, i laughed and really enjoyed watching him play the game...then I wanted to play! I played as Gaige and i LOVE DEATHTRAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
I enjoyed watching my boyfriend play the game, and really enjoyed playing it myself. The DLC's are fun too.

5.0 out of 5 stars My children are.....somewhere I think., July 2, 2014
This review is from: Borderlands 2: Game of the Year Edition (Video Game)
I love this game. The expansions are so worth it. The little clip that keeps the case closed came broken. I will hold Gearbox personally responsible later. Luckily I don't play the box and the game never comes out of the xbox.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seriously great, almost as good as the first, January 22, 2014
This review is from: Borderlands 2: Game of the Year Edition (Video Game)
After recently playing the first game I had to dive into the second one immediately. The first turned out to be one of the funnest, most engaging game I've ever played. The second one does a fantastic job! There are a few small things that make me love the first one more, but this one is solid, I would easily recommeng it to anyone who likes shooting and looting. I feel like the weaposn were better, more poowerful and interesting in the first game. In this one a good weapon will last you maybe 3 or 4 levels before it feels nerfed, in the first game you could ue a good weapon much longer before feeling the need to replace it, although in both games swapping out different weapons all the time for variety is great. All told I'm very happy I played this, don't take my preference for the first game as any sort of indication of how good this game is. For me it's simply matters of preference for certain features and the overall feel of the games. B2 delivers everything it promises, it runs great and is creative, super fun, intense, it's got it all.

Borderlands 2: Game of the Year Edition