5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not in this. Worst game ever.
I'm not in this. Worst game ever.

-Handsome Jack, CEO Hyperion Corporation (Borderlands is developed by Gearbox Software and published by 2K)
Published 5 months ago by Handsome Jack

1.0 out of 5 stars Voucher version - false advertising by Amazon
Amazon needs to change the description of this product, or else the sellers need to be sure that they are selling the On-disc version. Like the two previous reviewers, the copy I purchased on 3/20/13 is the Voucher version. It's ridiculous, because the game description explicitly states TWICE that the Add-ons are on the disc, and the image clearly states it's the On-disc...
Published 24 months ago by Dokushinsha

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great GOTY Version (now); Online is still alive!, April 9, 2012
JC (California) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Growing up I was a big RPG/loot-driven video game player, and as I got older I slowly shifted towards online FPS play only (logged about >400 hours between all the current-gen Call of Duties). How Borderlands slipped under my radar is unknown to me. Thankfully, I was online when Amazon recently had this GOTY edition on sale and gladly picked it up. Have logged about 15-20 hours thus far and am very impressed with the game.

Pros:
- Great, great, great feeling of desire to find more loot!
- All GOTY DLC comes ON DISC (it shows up as a separate icon on the XMB). Previously I guess it used to be a one-time only downloadable code; that's the reason for all the negative reviews for this item (understandably so!!)
- Great controls, feels just like a COD game (if that's your thing). You will have to change the control settings though, as the preset sets aim/fire to L2/R2. There is a preset for L1/R1 though, like all other shooters!
- World is expansive, looks great.
- RPG elements (skill trees, experience, etc) are no super deep but deep enough to keep you entertained and constantly thinking about which path/skills you want to upgrade
- Drop-in/Drop-out online co-op is a lot of fun (although see CONS too) and there doesnt seem to be a shortage of players online given how old this game is. I expect the community to grow even more as Borderlands 2 release date approaches
- loot, loot, and more loot. Guns all look different (colors, attachments, fire animation, etc). I wish when you were looking at a new gun it would compare the guns you have equipped right there on the screen but it isnt too hard to do.
- You can look through a list of online players hosting games (you see their level and current quest). Any quest completed in someone's elses game also counts towards your game. You can also host a game and basically play solo until someone joins your game.

Cons:
- World is expansive, which is great, but that means you are doing a LOT of traveling. Sometimes it gets boring. Especially annoying is that this game is basically a bunch of sidequests. If you are in it for purely story online, you might not be satisfied. But i digress --- you get new quests by either talking to NPCs or checking bulletin boards. Problem is, once you complete the quest (kill X enemies, retrieve X item, etc) more often then not you have to backtrack to the NPC/bulletin board to "turn in" your quest to get the cash/EXP rewards. This constant back and forth can get tiring and time consuming
- The way you pick up loot: enemies can drop cash, ammo, and weapons/shields. To pick up items, you press square. You will pressing square a LOT. If you hold down square by ammo drops for example, you will pick up all ammo drops in the immediate vicinity. So you will also be HOLDING square a LOT. Problem is, if you hold square while standing over a weapon/shield, your character automatically equips that weapon/shield. So if you are not paying attention and just holding square to pick up all the loot (and trust me, you will) you will sometimes mistakingly equip something (and then have to go to your equip menu to adjust your loadout)
- Online is alive, but there are two minor problems: there is no level range cap for party members. Meaning, if you are hosting a public game that anyone can join, ANYONE can join. Meaning if you are a level 10 guy doing some of the beginning quests, a level 50 guy could join your game. Now usually when this happens, they are cool --- they will help you get through tough parts of the game, and let you take all the loot since all the stuff is probably junk to them at such a high level. Sometimes though, these high level players have hacked items (worth $$$$ in game) and drop them all over the playing field. Again, just trying to "help" but can be a minor annoyance if you want to play the game without "cheating". However, having near-infinite money can also be nice in this game if you want an easier play-through!

All in all these cons should not deter anyone from playing this game. If you like FPSs and you like loot-driven RPGs, you will be in heaven. I am eagerly anticipating Borderlands 2 now!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading the manual helped, March 4, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Right now I'm on an FPS kick, and so far I'm very much enjoying Borderlands GOTY edition.

This game is a shooter but also a "looter" - you go on missions and scavenge items (different weapons, ammo, cash, etc.) along the way. You drive some vehicles, too. I like the mix.

As you gain experience, your character (you can choose from four different types at the beginning of the game) becomes more powerful (similar idea to buffing up your character in the "Dead Space" games).

The AI for the bad guys also increases as the game progresses, so don't let the first few bandit encounters fool you.

One thing striking about this game is that it has a very different, stylized look - sort of like a comic book (restrained color palette and at times "2D")- check out the screenshots - it may or may not appeal to you.

Note that with Borderlands you do need to interact with your character's inventory and objective maps frequently - if you don't like fussing with those kinds of things, the game may not be for you.

This is one of the few shooting games where I had to stop and read the manual - once I did that it became a lot more enjoyable.

Glad I paid the extra bucks and got the "Game Of The Year" edition, which includes a number of add-on packs on the disc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Hits to Game of the year, December 11, 2011
***Updated March 3, 2012 - Feel free to read my initial review***

I saw a lot of people playing this game back when it first came out. I decided not to get it because I really didn't exactly know what it was about and I was addicted to teamfortress 2. My friend suggested we get this game to play online and I got the Greatest Hits (he told me that one and not the game of the year - little bit of a mistake). I've played it for about two weeks now and find it very addicting. I have now ordered the game of the year edition because of all the extras.

+ Artwork in the game is very unique. I really enjoy the style it has compared to all other games.
+ Gameplay is enjoyable. You are given massive amounts of missions to do. They are scattered throughout Pandora. Just a tip when you go through the missions and are in the farthest reach possible use the quick travel to avoid going all the way back.
- After playing almost half of the original game I have found all the missions to be enjoyable except for a small few. A couple of missions are the same where you have to find the parts of a gun that are scattered in a small area on the map/land/what you prefer to call it. When you search for these weapons you are given a flashing diamond at the bottom of the screen to help you locate them. I have found that this diamond is not accurate when you need to find the missing parts and can be extremely frustrating. I had to search online to find that last part and it was usually the barrel of the weapon.

My review is really choppy and doesn't give a lot of details into the game. As far as I can compare it to it has the style of first person shooter just like most fps games. The leveling up and finding items (guns) is similar to world of war craft (my opinion). Four classes level up to gain stronger powers and each is unique and provides different gameplay in the specific powerups they receive. The game has been out for a while and still offers the quality of games that were made this year. If you are on the edge about this game I would say go for it (as I said it's fps with level ups and missions i.e. WoW). It is fun when you can get a group of friends together and go through the missions. I know I will be purchasing Borderlands 2 because this game provides a lot of fun.

**UPDATE MARCH 3, 2012**

I played through the main story twice and enjoyed it both times. The game offers play through 1 and play through 2. After you complete those two the characters are typically at the level you are and drop better weapons. I played through all the DLC packs.

-**Zombie Island: It is awesome setting. The theme is sort of spooky and is a nice change from the original game. The missions are different but found one to be extremely annoying. Braaaaaaains - this mission (you have it to complete it multiple times) has to be the worst . You collect the brains from zombies (head shot only). You can't collect the brains in the same area because the zombies will need to respawn. You have to travel to another area to continue the collection process. I suggest you grab this mission right away. Moving on. I played this dlc in co-op with some friends. We noticed as you move through the levels it seems to lag very bad so be aware that when the action does pick up with multiple zombies moving at you that you may freeze on occasion.

-Mad Moxxi - Well this was certainly a fun area that is strictly arena. If you like tower defense this is the level for you (or it might be?). Fight through waves (20 in each level with bosses every 5 waves). Your weapon proficiency does not increase in the arena. Once you complete the three main levels you get to fight through 100 waves!!! If you decide to do this make sure you block off about 3 hours to complete it because it takes a lot of time! It gets repetitive after.

-**General Knoxx - Another unique level from the original arid badlands scene. You have three cars to choose from and the racer is more responsive compared to arid badlands racer. Best parts are the armory where you can loot as much as your heart desires in a few short minutes or glitch and loot everything. Beware that if you glitch and loot everything you will not be able to complete the mission for the armory unless you follow a work around from an online forum. You also get to fight the only true boss in this game - and boy is it tough. Fighting you know who with friends is even more fun because everyone freaks out. Missions were good except for the loot midget collection mission. This is similar to the Braaaaaaaains one I talked about in Zombie Island.

-**Claptrap Robot Revolution - Oh those claptraps are so funny. I expected to see only them but you don't. This dlc also has the long missions of collecting parts and gets boring. Scenery is pretty much the same as arid badlands nothing amazingly different. Pretty short DLC. You do get to travel to a level with a big "?" in the middle. Good luck navigating through that.

**So let me summarize my thoughts. The content overall was enjoyable except for the collection missions, which got old FAST. What is worse is no fast travel at all. Fast travel would have been nice to have in the General Knoxx content because you travel from maybe 3 levels deep to complete a single mission only to return it at the main starting area. This is the same for the other content. I can't hardly remember where Moxxi's Red Light is so I end up going the wrong way and fun game time is ruined. So is the content worth it for this price. Yup.

4.0 out of 5 stars An almost perfect game, June 12, 2011
jonsushi (Evansville, IN USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I feel that I first need to explain this "review". I first bought Borderlands when it was initially released back in October 2009. I mostly played solo. While I did enjoy it, it wasn't enough to keep me coming back. Or at least gain my attention over other games at the time. I only had one chance to play the online coop with a friend, but the game was plagued with a couple problems that could be considered minor except that when combined became a fairly big issue. The biggest problem was voice chat. The PS3 seems to have this problem almost in general. However, it was noticeably worse in this particular game. In some types of games, voice chat while playing online with a friend (or 3) isn't always important. Many times it only contains childish insults and contributes nothing to the game. However, in games that rely heavily on coop being able to communicate with a person's companions is very important. An example of this would be in Bad Company 2. Communicating with your teammates is vital in order to achieve objectives. Borderlands not only has the objectives aspect to deal with, but also the issue of loot and quests. So communication is especially important in this game. I know of people who had to resort to using their phones as a substitute for voice chat. Combined with the fact that this problem wasn't addressed by the developers for at least a month after release resulted in some very poor experiences in even trying to play with friends online.

Because of my experience with that problem I was basically forced to just play solo. It's fun, but no where near as much fun as playing with others. I realize this is just an opinion though. I know people who only played solo and love the game. I think this game is just okay solo, but great when playing coop. Getting the GOTY edition with the DLC actually on the disc made me rediscover the game and I've been playing it online with a buddy almost everyday since I received it. Unfortunately there are still actually a few issues with voice chat occasionally and sometimes with the invite system. As well as the game was received critically and by us "regular people", that's a major disappointment.

Aside from those technical problems, this game really only suffers from one problem. Unfortunately, it's a huge one. Story. There's barely one there. It feels like a lot of the usual (non-FPS) loot-driven RPGs. There are a bunch of quests that you can read in your menu and it feels like there's a much deeper story there to be told, but it never really happens. That's really the only reason this isn't 5 stars overall. For the price, you really can't get anything close to the amount of value this product is worth. If you were to purchase the DLC alone from the PSN store it would end up costing $30-$40. So the GOTY edition is a no-brainer.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's called Blu-Ray, Gearbox, look into it ..., November 28, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
EDIT (May 9th, 2011): With PSN being down for exactly 3 weeks now, the argument for including the content on the disc, instead of as DLC, is even stronger. If you bought this game 3 weeks ago, you'd still be without the DLC. If it would have been included ON THE DISC you could play away without worrying over whether or not you could get online.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Why isn't the DLC content ON THE DISC? Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition had voucher codes on the 360 because the content didn't fit on standard DVD. On the other hand, the PS3 version had the content on the disc, because Blu-Ray has much more capacity. Did you hear that, Gearbox? ON THE DISC.

If this is 2K being greedy, well, they fail. I bought this, as I did RE5: Gold Edition. But the SECOND I realized the content wasn't ON DISC, I returned it for a full refund. You lose, 2K. And Gearbox loses along with you. I hope they appreciate your greed taking away their cut.

Maybe you can release ANOTHER Game of the Year Edition. You could call it, "The REAL Game of the Year Edition." Or just call it the, "We Apologize" edition.

The game itself is great, but I'll think twice about buying ANYTHING from 2K OR Gearbox after this fiasco. So will many others. I'm sick of publishers thinking THEY control the content WE buy. It's not supposed to work that way and hopefully enough gamers will stand their ground and avoid purchasing this garbage to ensure the consumer stops being scammed.

Oh, and we have a RIGHT, under the law, to sell games used. It's called "right of first sale." Look it up, 2K.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy It and Love It, but Still Beware, January 4, 2015
I like "Borderlands" a lot, especially the 2nd game. I think pretty anyone who enjoys shooters will like these games. They boasts tons of loot, crazy characters, whacky sidequests, and narratives that somehow rewards both players who don't give a crap AND explorers who like to absorb all of the content.

However, it's 2015 when I'm typing this review. And to put it nicely, "Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition" has some aspects that haven't aged remarkably well. I'm sorry if this review comes off as a negative list of nitpicks. This game is absolutely worth your 20 dollars. I had a blast playing "Borderlands", and I'm glad that I got to enjoy this crazy shooter adventure. But if you're the type of consumer that wants to know all of the warts in "warts and all", then here's the dirt sheet:

YOUR SPLIT-SCREEN CO-OP PLAYERS CAN'T SAVE CONTROL PREFERENCES
This isn't a huge deal, but my co-op players prefer a different control scheme than the default setting. And while it isn't all that difficult to hit Pause and change it, we find it annoying that when we intend to fire our gun, it use our special power instead. Again, not a deal-breaker, and MAYBE we're doing something wrong. But couch party gamers might want to know this.

INVENTORY MANAGEMENT IS SMOOTHER IN SEQUELS
Of all the features that "Borderlands 2" added, it's the ability to tag all of my junk items. With the press of a button, I can sell or drop them instantly. In this first "Borderlands" game, you don't have that luxury. You have to go through weapon by weapon, shield by shield, item by item... and sell them one at a time. It might not seem like a big deal at first, but anyone who's played "Borderlands" for about an hour will tell you that you get access to so much loot that it can be nearly impossible to keep it organized. That's part of the fun...there are so many weapons and cash to grab it's gloriously INSANE! However, it can become a chore to haul all of the stuff to a nearby vending machine if you're the type of player who hates to sell a gun just in case it might come in handy later.

MOST AREAS OF PANDORA FEEL THE SAME
Once again, this something "Borderlands 2" began to improve exponentially, but most of the planet Pandora in this game feels like a giant desert wasteland. Even when you get to more interesting locations like a trash yard of a pier, you're still stuck with the same music track. Even the DLC doesn't change up the music that much. Pretty much every area in "Borderlands 2" felt like its own world, filled snowy tundras, a robotic city, an Old West town, a city that floats in the sky, and a eridium-infused wasteland. But the more I explored this first "Borderlands" game, the more I started to feel less enthusiastic. How many scraps yards and desert plains and industrial fortresses could I possibly explore?

STORY IS A THROWAWAY
Because "Borderlands" is a crazy open-world shooter/RPB hybrid, a strong narrative wasn't the primary focus. In co-op gaming, this makes perfect sense to not force players to follow a tightly-written plot. However, as "Borderlands 2" proved, a compelling narrative presentation is possible in this genre. Quite frankly, there were things happening in this first "Borderlands" that just made me shrug my shoulders and nod 'Okay, I guess I understand why we're going here and killing these targets.' The ending is also a let down. After such a behemoth of a final boss, players deserved better.

FAST TRAVEL NOT UNLOCKED FOR A FEW HOURS...WHICH MEANS DLC ISN'T EITHER
Obviously, first-time players would be wise to learn the different mechanics of "Borderlands" before jumping into the more difficult DLC packs. But first-time buyers be warned: You're gonna have to put in a small amount of legwork before you even earn the ability to explore the DLC.

STRONG DLC INCLUDES FRUSTRATING RESTRICTIONS
There are four bonus packs: "Zombie of Island of Dr. Ned", "Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot", "Secret Armory of General Knoxx", and "Claptrap's New Robot Revolution".

The one consistent problem with these DLC packs is that you can't fast travel anywhere within the DLC packs. That means that you'll have to walk across the 6 different maps on Zombie Island, traverse the deadly highways in "Secret Armory", and navigate the confusing maps of "Robot Revolution" without any type of shortcut.

In terms of quality, I find "Zombie Island" to be the best. Though the optional "Brains" quests are a thorn in my trophy-hunting side, I love the ghoulish atmosphere and quests you get sent on.
"Secret Armory" is also a really good DLC, but newcomers would be best to avoid it until they've leveled up. The very first quest recommends a Level 35 or better, and I think that's a spot-on recommendation. As much as I hate all of the highway travelling required to get around, the guns you obtain are top-notch.
"Robot Revolution" is pretty good too, but the main hub Tartarus Station is a bit of labyrinth to navigate. Thankfully, the quests are pretty good and I personally can't enough of the Claptrap robotic humor.
"Underdome Riot" is sadly a giant letdown for me, especially since co-op gaming in "Borderlands" is no longer an easy option. I'm currently Level 42, and I can't finish any of the "Trivial Level 15" quests no matter how many times I try. "Underdome Riot" is basically a horde mode, where players go through massive gauntlets of enemies to level up and earn cash & loot. If you can find players to join you, you might enjoy it. But solo gamers probably shouldn't even get excited for this.

THE BOTTOM LINE
If you're willing to put up with some odd design choices, then "Borderlands" is still well worth your time and money. Yes, the sequel and "Pre-Sequel" have outclassed it in almost every way. But take it from a cheap gamer like me who always waits for stuff to go down to $20 --- "Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition" is a very fun shooter with more content than I can even remember. Almost 5 years later, it's still got a tremendous bang for your buck.

3.0 out of 5 stars BORDERLANDS A GOOD GAME - TOO BAD IT IS NOT DISABLED FRIENDLY!, April 15, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Ok I know right off most people will NOT agree with a thing I say here. I am autistic. I also have cerebral palsy and other disabilities. I have tried playing many video games with only slight success. My cerebral palsy is not severe but it is just bad enough to make playing most video games impossible. I tried lots of video games looking for the one that would let me honestly enjoy it. To let you know how much I love this game, you should know I brought 3 copies for myself alone. Once I find something I REALLY LOVE I NEVER WANT TO BE WITHOUT IT! Also the game includes all the add on content on a single disk now. I found the General Knoxx content the best and most challenging but I do have cerebral palsy so you normal folk will likely breeze right through it.

Being disabled I am sensitive to the needs of the mobility impaired. I am a mobility impaired autistic man. Playing any video game is extremely difficult for me. However most of my friends are hardcore gamers. I am already autistic which means making friends come very hard for me. Most of the people I know (Computer geeks like me suggested I get into gaming to fit in better.) I tried many video games and was a disaster at playing them. Borderlands was different. Borderlands was immediate hit with me. First I love the strange mix of horrid Wild West poverty and Star Trek like high technology that is Pandora. I love how all the buildings and structures have that ugly, seed bar room dive neglected look. I love how all the characters have a Film Noir meets Star Trek type dark side to their personalities. Don't get me wrong what I love about Borderlands far exceeds anything I do not like. I finally got past fighting General Knoxx he was a hard man to kill indeed.

What I do not like is that there is no provision for disabled people who might need longer to process and respond to what is happening on the screen than their non-disabled gamer friends. Think about it for a minute. As a mobility impaired person, man, lady or child we are by physical disability already excluded from most of the phyiscal aspects of childhood. Now with video games like Borderlands that make no allowances for disabled gamers mobility impaired and other disabled people are written out of the script in the video game world too. Some video games are not designed to accomodate the special needs of disabled people so Borderlands is not that different from others.

Borderlands has no easy or casual mode of game play that might be more disabled friendly so that is a big flaw in my eyes. What is even more sad is Borderlands does not even need a special mode to become disabled friendly. The mechanism to make Borderlands the most dissbled friendly game on the market already exists. The Borderlands shield techniology offers a built in way to give disabled gamers more time to process and approprriately what is happening to their in game character. Just offer the disabled gamer the opportunity to become a (BadA**) character since they have extra staying power in the faces of whitering fire.

I grew up physically disabled and I know first hand what it is like to be excluded from the fun things of childhood due to a mobility impairment disability you did not ask for. I give speeches to parents of autistic and mobility impaired kids and too many times I hear the heartbreaking horror stories of how disabled kids are shut out of the fun of video games played by able bodied siblings because, no allowence can be made to accomodate the fact that a disabled kid might need longer to process and or respond to the challenges faced by his character. I single Borderlands out not because; it is such a horrible game but because it is so much fun and its present form does not have to be changed much to make this the perfect game for someone with mobility and or cognitive challenges. I single borderlands out because this is an awesome game that would be a lot of fun.

After 52 years of life and lots of searching, I am so happy to finally find a video game I was able to play. Of course I could only play Borderlands in the early stages where its weapon's and shields offered more closely mapped to the players level of game skill attainment. If I had a longer lasting shield like those of the so called, Bad*** characters I would have been able to reach the higher levels. I am sad that Borderlands does not make any adjustments for the fact that not all gamers are quick in cognitive ability or able of body. I brought three copies of Borderlands because; I have three friends who are parents of disabled kids that need to learn better hand eye coordination skills. The parents tried every all kinds of "therapy" to get the kids interested in trying to better their hand eye coodination with no success. The kids saw me playing Borderlands and were immediately interested and willing to try it with my encouragement. After just a few minutes time the disabled kids were hooting and hollering with joy as they sat shooting Skaggs and bandits in Fyrestone. Finally they had a video game they were able to share with their older able bodied siblings. To see the transformation in a mobility impaired kid was nothing short of awesome. Borderlands made learning to do everything simple because almost everything is done by pointing your gun toward the thing you want to manipulate or access. The controls are very simple and straight forward making them easy to comprehend and remember.

Borderlands also does not berate you for making a mistake. The Borderlands characters are mostly foul mouthed old so-n-so's that berate everyone disabled and non-disabled player alike. All I can say is I wish there was a Borderlands around when I first attempted to play video games in the 1970's. Yes Borderlands is still not what I would call disabled friendly but, it is the most disabled friendly first person shooter RPG game I have seen. Borderlands forced me to buy three Sony Playstation 3 systems so disabled kids could enjoy the prospect of being disabled gamers. I enjoyed Borderlands so much I brought 3 more PS3 systems so I could enjoy playing video games against my adult disabled friends so I guess we are neophyte gamers too. I say thanks to the people who make Borderland's but ask them to please consider making adjustments so mobility impaired people can play as a "BadA** character so they have the extra time needed to understand and respond to the events their character faces. Borderlands is a great game disabled friends and I love it, but it could be made better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even if First Person Shooters just isn't Your Thing, August 6, 2014
If you STILL haven't play BORDERLANDS, even if you don't "normally" play first person shooters, do it anyways! Serious! :)

Although I played First Person Shooters (FPS) way back in the day, e.g. DOOM, QUAKE, all those that established the genre, I have always been more of a RPG player, and for over 15 years, I just glazed past all the FPS games that were released- it just wasn't my thing.

However, one day I watched my brother play BORDERLANDS on his laptop, and it just looked cool. So cool in fact that I finally broke down, bought the Game Of The Year Edition, and hijacked his GOTY Deluxe Guide as my own. This was three years ago, and I have many RPG games I love on my PS3, but frankly it's BORDERLANDS that I keep coming back to over and over and over again. I even now own BOARDERLANDS 2 (GOTY) and the big deluxe guide for it, both still shrinked wrapped. I decided to play through BOARDERLANDS just one ... more ... time before busting out BOARDERLANDS 2.

So believe me, even if you are so not into this kind of genre, consider trying it out anyways! It sure provided me, the RPG geek, countless hours of pewpewBANG entertainment over the years. :D

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible value for most, October 13, 2010
Lumiere (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I was excited about this release, and went to pick it up in stores. I was about to buy it, until I realized that the 4 DLC comes on a SINGLE USE voucher code. This means several things.

First, there is no resell (or trade-in) value, which doesn't really matter as much to me since I wasn't planning on selling it, but it does matter to a lot of people.

Second, we're at the mercy of Sony for how long we can play the expansions when it is not on disk, because there will be a day when they pull the servers. And if you don't think they will, look to Live support on the old Xbox, which was a service with paying customers.

Third, there is absolutely no added benefit to buying the Game of the Year edition unless you own no parts of the game. For me, who own Borderlands and one expansion, it'd cost more to buy this version than 3 more expansions, at no added benefit. For many Xbox Live users, they had the opportunity to download most of the expansions at 50% off already, so a copy of Borderlands with 50% off expansions is potentially only $50, and that's assuming a new copy of Borderlands.

I got into Borderlands later than many, and bought one DLC before hearing rumors about a Game of the Year edition. I decided to wait, because I thought if I waited, I would basically be able to have the game and expansions on disk, which would enable me to play them 10 years from now.

However, this is obviously not the case, because the game disk is identical to the normal version. The only difference is that it now includes a single code for all the expansion packs. So if you already have one or more, like myself, you can't even give away the expansion pack you already have. Instead, they essentially make you pay double for the same download content.

The only actual benefit of this release is the map, and the Duke Nukem Forever early access demo code. As someone who had already played many hours of Borderlands, that's not worth shelling out $60 for.

Gearbox, you lost many Day 1 buyers with this move.

4.0 out of 5 stars Online MP works again!, December 5, 2014
I am a huge Borderlands fan, starting with BL2 and the most recent entry in the series, Borderlands:The Pre-Sequel. Purchased three copies of this for myself and friends to play online together as we had never played the original. Apparently, at some point earlier this year, the service which was responsible for enabling multiplayer co-op was discontinued, and that functionality is now missing from the game. So if you just want to experience the beginning of the series for yourself, the game is great, but if you want to do it with friends, you should get the XBox or Steam version instead. I contacted 2K and Gearbox to see if I could get a Steam code since this is useless to me, but they were unable to help me.

EDIT 3/1/2015: As of a few weeks ago, the multiplayer online services have been set up once again, so if that is the only thing keeping you from the game, no longer is it a worry!

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›