5.0 out of 5 stars Use Steam, it will install all 4 DLC packs for you.
Published on July 1, 2012 by Mike S.

1.0 out of 5 stars VERY deceptive
First off, the game Borderlands is an amazing game, very worth of purchase.

This review is rating the PRODUCT, not the game.

The product says that it includes all 4 DLC (Downloadable Content) packs. This couldn't be further from the truth.

Published on January 18, 2011 by EgotisticalMe

5.0 out of 5 stars Use Steam, it will install all 4 DLC packs for you., July 1, 2012
I see a few reviews here saying that this product doesn't include the DLC packs. I did not download the game through Amazon, I copied the CD key that you're given after buying it on Amazon, and pasted it directly into Steam (under Games > Activate a Product on Steam) and when it finished downloading (13GB!), I launched the game and it popped up 4 different windows for each DLC pack that was installed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A review for the Non-hardcore gamers, November 23, 2011
A.L. (DFW Texas) - See all my reviews
There is a review somewhere on here were a fellow talks about how terrible the game is because of the aiming system. He says that he aims right at the bad guy and the shot misses and when he aims of to the side of the bad guy the bullet hits him. Do to this he says, the game is crap. This guy forgot a very important aspect of the game; it's a First Person Shooter-RPG not just a fps. In a regular fps, your guns are powerful the only thing standing between you and killing your enemy is how good you aim. In a FPS-RPG your guns have stats. You could have the best aim in the world but if your gun sucks, you're gonna get mauled down faster than a turkey on thanksgiving. On the other hand if your aim sucks but you have a powerful gun just run up to the guy and blast him and if you get swarmed by a bunch enemies no problem because in this game, it's all about the guns. And second winds, the best aspect of this game.

Normally if your get shot down in a game you die and have to restart the level or whatever, but in this game if your shield and health bar deplete to zero you have a chance to kill and enemy before you bleed to death and catch a Second Wind in which your shield regenerates and you can go on killing baddies. This single element gives you the freedom to play the game anyway you like. You can run and gun, or stealth kill or both whatever. Just make sure you have a good gun and a good shield ALWAYS or your second wind rampages will be short lived.

Death is the difference between losing money and not losing money. When you die you respawn at a checkpoint and get charged a fee which is a percentage of the amount of money you have so, if you low on cash it's possible to respawn for like 3 bucks. Don't worry about having to kill the same baddies over again because in this game, when you kill an enemy in an area but another one kills you, when you respawn the enemies you killed WON'T Be there anymore. Let me say that again, enemies you killed already will not respawn when you die. They will only comeback when you exit the game and reload or in some cases, when you return to the area at a later time. This is great because even if a second wind can't save you then just walk back and take out what bad guys are left.

One important thing though, the health bars of guys you didn't kill will regenerate when you respawn, so if you're fighting a boss and die, he will be at full health when you return. You need to have at least some strategy in this game though because a run and gun will NOT always work. Especially with bosses. Using Second Winds is a strategy in its self that can be very effective and an extremely fun way to play, but if you do not use it properly you will lose money FAST and/or get repeatedly killed by gang lords.

That begin said don't worry too much about boss fights, they are a fun aspect of the game because you can approach the battle anyway you like. The boss battles are as challenging as you make then. Exploit the bosses attack range and spam yours or fight him legitimately in a head to head arena using the proper dodge, cover and aim techniques; either way boss killing is satisfying.

You have a lot of control on how you play the game with the skills, guns, approaches, ect you discover. I won't ruin it all for you and leave you to figure them out for yourself. All in all, this is probably the best game I have played do to the fact that you can play the game however you want to. In short, Get. This. Game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal., April 26, 2011
Just wanted to mention that this product does activate on steam, steam seems to like it better when you take the dashes out of the key.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun game, January 4, 2011
This review is from: Borderlands Game of the Year - PC (DVD-ROM)
This game has a lot in common with Diablo, though this is first person shooter. Its a single player or cooperative multiplayer game with quests, four classes to choose from that all play differently, some character leveling and specialization, lots of action, and lots of randomly generated loot to collect as you work your way through the story. Your class, the loot you find, and your specialization all determine your gameplay experience to some extent, so every play through doesn't feel exactly the same as the last even if you play the same class. If you liked Diablo you'll probably like this. If you didn't then you'll probably not like this this for the same reasons. Overall I found it quite entertaining.

The game doesn't take itself too seriously and doesn't try to be more than it is, which is just a fun shoot-em up adventure. There's plenty of violence in the gun battles, complete with heads being blown completely off and limbs lying on the ground after you kill things, but the tone is kept light and fun. The cartoonish graphical style of the game and the humerous voice acting both keep you in the right frame of mind to enjoy it in the same way as you do cartoon violence, not take it in a serious and disturbing way.

The ending of the story could have been better. It was not good. It didn't fully explain what the whole adventure was about in a satisfactory way. That said, the fun is in the journey not the destination so I would still recommend the game despite that flaw. You don't play Diablo just to see the closing cutscene and you don't play this one for that either. The game is about shoot-em-up action and it delivers that. If that's not what you want then this is not the game for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars VERY deceptive, January 18, 2011
This review is from: Borderlands Game of the Year - PC (DVD-ROM)
First off, the game Borderlands is an amazing game, very worth of purchase.

This review is rating the PRODUCT, not the game.

Instead of actually including the software on the disc, like the Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot & The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned add-on pack, it instead gives you a link and a code to gearbox's website, where it wants you to individually download all 4 of the DLCs (weighing in at approximately 1.5 to 2 GB per DLC, in .ZIP format).

Now typically, I wouldn't be too bothered with this, aside from having to wait about an hour or so for EACH DLC to download. However, I'm a service member deployed in Afghanistan. Given our already shoddy internet, it would take no less than 9 HOURS per DLC, and that's assuming it will even download properly (I'm on try #3 with The Secret Armory of General Knoxx right now, 10 hours down the drain).

If you're going to advertise saying "This product contains the following content", then it damn well better contain the aforementioned content, instead of a voucher saying "This really doesn't have the content, but you can go here to get it!".

Again, Borderlands is a GREAT game, but this is a TERRIBLE product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buyer BEWARE, December 10, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Borderlands Game of the Year - PC (DVD-ROM)
What a way to ruin a great game.

The DLC add-on content, which is really the only reason to buy this version of the game, is NOT included on the disc. Please note: You get a 1 time download of the content, then the codes become invalid! If your computer crashes, you have install problems, want to install on a different computer, or for any reason at all you need to re-install the DLC content, you're out of luck!

I quote "These codes will become invalid after use...A new code cannot be provided, nor can data be guaranteed or restored in the event of a failed unlock or the loss of data due to a hardware malfunction."

*****
EDIT 05/19/2012

I has been some time since my original review. I never did install the DLC's (scarcity effect), although I did try to activate unsuccessfully through steam (apparently my code predates Steam/2kgames cooperation). Anyway, someday I may use my 1 use download because this is an awesome game.

I decided to give the game 2 stars (instead of 1) because some people are able to activate through steam.

As far as fun goes, 5 stars! This is a kick butt shooter/rpg with lots of replayability. I re-installed the game after finishing it over a year ago and find myself enjoying it nearly as much the 2nd time around. I have a character build for each of the 4 different available classes and find myself re-experimenting with their different playing styles.

Given its new price point under 15 dollars, I'd say its a great deal. Given that I paid a lot more and get 1 download of the dlc's, my rating of 2 stars stands.

3.0 out of 5 stars The One Problem..., January 20, 2011
This review is from: Borderlands Game of the Year - PC (DVD-ROM)
The DLC is not on the disk, instead you get a one-time use voucher to download it, which is the sole reason I did not give this a five star rating. I'm enjoying it immensely, but I've got to get all my fun in now, because if I ever want to uninstall it or have to get a new computer it's bye bye DLC. I am disappointed in Gearbox...

EDIT: You can, in fact, reinstall the DLC on subsequent installs or on other PCs, etc. However, the process of revoking previous installs online is both cumbersome and irritating. This is an excellent game and I've put more hours into it than I would care to count. I'm extremely excited for the sequel this September. If you like FPS, co-op, action RPG elements and tons of loot, then you should own this game and have already preordered Borderlands 2. Still, due to the DLC shenanigans with this GOTY edition, I stand by my original review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Game - and Steam, February 20, 2012
First off, others have written about the issue with using Steam.
I agree a single-player game shouldn't require Steam.
I resent that requirement for a single-player game.
But I'm going to play this in co-op, and Steam works very well for that.
Since this is my second co-op game using Steam, I've been "assimilated" by Steam.
Besides that, some here say you don't need Steam for sing;e-player.
I don't know, since I'm using it on Steam.
Wish others had given instructions on that, to clear up the confusion.
Some of these reviews are pretty old.
Only thing I'll say about my opinion of Steam is that it's worked very well for me, it has good games forums, and
affords me co-op play at no cost.
And I can buy the game here for $6.99 and still use Steam's infrastructure. Seems very generous to me.
That outweighs any "philosophical" issues I might have about DRM's, needing Steam to play, etc.
Instead of arguing about how painful it is to get perhaps hundreds of hours of gameplay for $6.99, I'll just
relay my experience, by the numbers, using Steam. I repeat, using Steam.

1. Game is a good role-play FPS, with plenty of decisions demanded about how to add skills, and what weapons to use.
It's always personal if you like a game. Watch on Youtube, and/or download the demo to see if it suits you.
Others have commented on game elements.

2. Don't download from Amazon. After purchase go to your Amazon orders/digital downloads. Copy the game key.
Not long ago I downloaded Dead Island from Amazon, then Steam download the entire game again after I activated it
on Steam. Waste of one download, which takes hours.

3. Start Steam, or install it if you don't have it. It requires registering, like most everything else.
But it's just another app. Since I play games often it's usually running at startup.
You can turn it on/off.
Once Steam is running use Add Game/Activate Game.
Paste in the game key.
Steam will download the game, and when that's done, hitting "Play" in your Steam game library will install the game. You will be presented with a window containing 3 DLC keys. I suspect one of the four DLC's doesn't require a key. I copied the keys into a txt file.
But upon starting the game Steam will tell you the DLC key will be presented again when you try to enter the DLC
area. I assume you will only have to enter the keys once. I am far from the point where I'll find out.
BTW, Steam applies the recent patches to games. This is "usually" a good thing.

Unlike Dead Island, which has a Steam "Game Lobby" in-game to enter co-op, Borderlands co-op requires you to have a Gamespy account. You'll get prompted to sign in to one, or create one when you select "on-line" in the game options.
I haven't done that yet, but have been told by a forum member that after that, playing co-op is in-game and seamless.
That's all I know so far. I've seen 4-member co-op play on Youtube and expect no serious issues.
Just wanted to clear up some of the confusion. At least it was confusing to me when I read these reviews.
Now we need single-player purchasers to teach their cohorts how Steam isn't required for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Y U SO MAD?!, February 14, 2012
Jan Jordano (Prescott, Az United States) - See all my reviews
I have absolutely no idea why everyone posting reviews is QQ'ing. Not only is this game only $7 (for the time being), but also every single DLC downloaded at the same time that the game did, and I didn't have to go to any other sites to download anything or activate any product keys. If you guys had problems with this, you are very not good at pressing the download button.

Other than that, this is an absolutely great game, and I haven't been disappointed by it one bit. I find it reasonably unique, which is very rare today in our age of lame cookie-cutter FPS'. The cartoony graphics aren't overly cartoony, yet give a nice break from the realism you can find in every other game today. I can't wait till the second one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great game, too bad they ruined this version with a needless code required to download the "included" additional content, February 3, 2011
Marshall Lyman (SALT LAKE CITY, UT, US) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Borderlands Game of the Year - PC (DVD-ROM)
MAKE SURE YOU ARE AWARE OF WHAT'S REALLY INCLUDED WITH THIS BEFORE YOU PURCHASE IT!

I recommend you save yourself the hassle involved and skip this packaged version of "Borderlands: Game of the Year edition" that really only includes the base Borderlands game on disc and then requires that you use an idiotic onetime use code to download the massive amount of data required to play the supposedly "included" extra content. Just purchase it from your preferred digital download store and you will likely be much happier in the end.

The decision to only supply a download code for the extra content instead of including it in the box on one or more separate DVDs is likely nothing more than an asinine money saving move on the publisher's part without any consumer benefit. This in and of itself prevents me from ever even thinking about recommending to others that they buy this fun game in this specific format. Having to back up the downloaded content (it's really not a small amount of data) and hoping not to run into any issues reinstalling it if wanting to play on a different computer in the future will likely be more trouble than the worth of any money you might be saving. How much fun will it be if your backup were to get misplaced or fail? What if you can't even get it downloaded and installed in the first place since they specifically state about the DLC code "These codes will become invalid after use...A new code cannot be provided, nor can data be guaranteed or restored in the event of a failed unlock or the loss of data due to a hardware malfunction."

With that said, I really like the gameplay (especially multiplayer co-op) and most of the extra content of this game enough that I also own it including all the DLC for my Xbox 360. Nevertheless, I highly regret purchasing this particular version for my PC instead of downloading it through Steam, despite that option costing more money at the time of my purchase especially since I had to download most of it anyway.

Borderlands Game of the Year - PC
Borderlands Game of the Year - PC by 2K (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
$29.99 $17.99