5.0 out of 5 stars Down Load Content was on a real disc
Several other reviewers had been dismayed by the Game of the Year Edition because it only came with down load vouchers for the extra content. I just ordered this game edition for X Box 360 early February 2011 and the DLC was on a second disk along with a poster. Also, the package was delivered very quickly.
Published on February 8, 2011 by Tim F

2.0 out of 5 stars No Disc- No Go
Published on October 12, 2010 by Kenny Shelton

5.0 out of 5 stars Down Load Content was on a real disc, February 8, 2011
Tim F (Tennessee, United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome 10%, October 28, 2010
This review is from: Borderlands Game of the Year -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I basically waited until the GOTY Edition so this is the first time I played the game. I'm a veteran of FPS game in general and this is definitely one of the best I have played. I've put in about 20+ hours solo in the main game but have not touched the DLC yet so I cannot comment on either multiplayer or the expansions from experience.

Awesome Features

Randomly Generated Guns:
Basically there are the 8 basic types of weapons (pistols, SMG, revolvers, shotguns, assault rifles, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, and alien weapons) and 5 or so randomly chosen parts on each weapon. This is GREAT because each configuration adds to the weapon visually and in purpose e.g. not having a buttstock on an assault rifle causes the accuracy to go down.

RPG Style Skill Trees:
With each of the four classes you get 3 branches in their skill tree. It is very similar to MMORPGS like WOW where you can spec your characters to play certain ways. My first play-through I chose the berserker character who I am specing to basically be an all melee character. This shows the unique flexibility of the gameplay, there isn't another FPS game out there where you can play as a melee class and be more effective than someone with a gun.

Awesome Reasons to Buy

Style:
Borderlands is a fully cell shaded game with plenty of humor and baddassness to satisfy the core as well as casual. It is very lowbrow and violent though so if you are easily offended by toilet humor and foul language and get sick when enemies chunk you may not like the game. If not, then you'll love it. The arcade/MMO style visual queues add a lot to the game play too.

Replayability:
Unlimited! Similar to Diablo you can play through the game multiple times keeping your level and the enemies will scale with you (also the weapons). Since there are 4 characters you'll want to try out all of their different styles. And with your current character you'll definitely want to play through several times until you hit the level cap (69 get this version and downloaded the DLC), to max out your skills, and get better weapons.

Controls:
They're tight. I really have nothing more to say about it. Standard FPS (grenades, aim, shoot, look).

Pace:
So far the pace of the game is perfect. I haven't heard/read much about this, but it is one of those things that will kill a game if it is bad and if it's good you will never hear about it. I'm level 35 and have never wished that I had more quests (or had to farm for XP like some RPGs). In the beginning it's a little hard going when you hit some of the boss characters, but once you pick up your skills and get some upgraded guns it quickly becomes less frustrating and more of an experience to fight them.

When I bought the game the sales guy told me that multiplayer is 90% of the game. That statement made me second-guess my purchase at the time (since I don't know anyone who has the game) but once I dived into it I quickly realized that if this is 10% of the game I made a great choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Check the second disc before removing the seal, March 24, 2011
This review is from: Borderlands Game of the Year -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I purchased my copy from Amazon, not other vendors. It came with two discs (plus a map), one for the main game and a second one for the DLCs. As mentioned previously here, peep through the plastic case for the second disc before removing the seal. The plastic case is fairly transparent, even with the plastic wrap on, but you may not actually see the discs. What you are looking for is the presence of an additional piece of green plastic layer right in the middle. It is most visible from the top and the bottom edges of the case. Also my 2-disc copy is fairly heavy compared to other single-disc games. Check before opening. You can still return the game when the plastic wrap and the seal are intact.

This game is a load of fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars The review for those of you on the fence about Borderlands, May 2, 2011
This review is from: Borderlands Game of the Year -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Picture a futuristic western environment on an alien planet... with copious amounts of guns, and special abilities, oh, and don't forget quests. A few of my friends were on board with Borderlands from the beginning, but I was skeptical and held back. I absolutely adore shooters like the Halo franchise and the Gears of War franchise, and I was very unsure about becoming involved in a game that appeared to be very wide open and lengthy. However, when I picked up the game and started it playing it Christmas 2010, I was beyond pleasantly surprised. I couldn't put it down. I loved the characters, I loved the landscape and graphics, done in the cell-shaded method, and I loved the guns, crazy amounts of smgs, snipers, pistols, repeaters, assault rifles. In less than two months, I had 100% completion on the game, including all of the DLC, completing every mission. For those of you who think that it is maybe too large of a game, please reconsider. I consider every second played time well spent. BTW, the cooperative play is also inspired. Play with up to three additional friends. My only warning about playing with other people, however, is that if they have some missions completed that you haven't started yet, it might mess up a mission or two. Otherwise, grab a copy of Borderlands (I recommend a copy of the Game of the Year Edition, with all the DLC already on it) and join the treasure hunt on Pandora. It's not too late to play one of the greatest games of the millennium.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a cool game!!, September 2, 2011
This review is from: Borderlands Game of the Year -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I'm a 56 year old female gamer that fell in love with this game. I hadn't gotten into FPS much but definitely understand their appeal, so when my son popped in Borderlands and had me play I was surprised how much I loved this game. Here's why: different character classes, lots & lots of guns, skill tree that upgrades, ability to choose controller configuration, light story, humor, claptraps (dancing to boot LOL), fast travel network, and being able to quit but start back up where I was at - when I started playing the expansions I missed this a lot! Being an older gamer comes with age related issues :-) arthritis etc so having a controller configuration that lets me use the trigger for firing is AWESOME. This game has the 'replay' factor - I'm on playthrough 2 with Brick and seeing different weapons which is fun. I love when you play it again and it is still FUN, does anybody remember playing the original Zelda and on the second playthrough items were in a different place? Not quite the same thing but same 'feel' to it. LOVE this game!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Diablo meets Call of Duty, with a sense of humor, December 31, 2010
This review is from: Borderlands Game of the Year -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
This is a first-person shooter with Call of Duty controls, but you have the added benefits of an RPG. Numerous guns that have random abilities, enemies that take more than 3 bullets to kill (until you level up), and a story that follows traditional RPG structures.

Controls:
If you're used to playing shooters, you'll probably have to crank up the sensitivity for the analog sticks, or it will take too long to turn around and shoot the enemies that sneak up on you. After doing that, everything seems to work tightly.

Running is infinite, so you won't get tired. The planet you are on seems to have a lower gravitational pull, so jumping is more like a Halo game-- you spend longer in the air. The only thing I really missed was diving to prone from Black Ops, though that game did get released a whole year later.

Cons:
The variation of enemies seems to be limited-- I've only played the original game so far because I didn't want to get overloaded with possibilities, but I've played my character to level 16 (out of 50, I believe). I probably just have high expectations after playing Final Fantasy VII and its hundreds of enemy types.

It is possible to get into an area where all the enemies are higher levels than you are, which becomes annoying because the health powerups are few or do little. (Again, for a level 16 playthrough on normal).

The sound in the game is all too quiet. E.g., my TV volume is at 17 for Call of Duty and most other games, but it is cranked up to 34+ for Borderlands.

The game does not seem to support surround sound in a helpful way. In most other decent shooters, you can hear the footsteps of people sneaking up behind you (especially with Turtle Beach headsets), but this game seems to just have the same sound level regardless of where the sound originates.

The game does a good job of opening the story and introducing the Heads-Up Display (HUD), but the opening cannot be skipped during subsequent playthroughs.

Pros:
While enemies can be higher levels than you, the developers did a good job of implementing a warning system. Simply aim your gun at the enemies and their levels will pop up above them, along with their health and shield bars. Different icons are used to designate how tough the enemy is compared to your current stat level-- A skull means you probably shouldn't try it, and an exclamation point warns you that it will be a tough battle but you may make it out alive.

If you die during a battle, you will respawn at the nearest spawn location that you activated. This activation is usually automatic upon entering areas that require loading from the disc. This lets you run right back into battle to clean up what you started and pick up anything that has already been dropped by the enemies you killed.

Multiplayer is a nice feature. Play side-by-side splitscreen or play on Xbox Live. Each person playing receives the experience points (XP) that other players earn from killing enemies or doing jobs. This is nice because you don't have to worry about "kill stealing" like in other shooters, where other players get all the credit for killing the enemy you worked so hard to try killing. To offset the experience points, it seems like their is some type of multiplier for the number of enemies and how difficult they are. Levelling up is a lot quicker in multiplayer than in single player.

Also in multiplayer: the person who picks up an objective item does not have to be the person who returns it or uses it. We had one person die, and he respawned where the item was to be returned. I had picked up the objective, and he used it right away. Having a four-player game can greatly reduce the travel time between locations, if desired.

I knew I wanted this game as soon as it came out, but I don't like having to pay for the extra downloads that are destined to be released. This Game of the Year edition is perfect for people like me, who want everything in a single package-- but YOU WILL NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE 4 EXPANSIONS FROM XBOX LIVE. You don't need a gold account, though, unless you want to play online via Xbox Live.

If you can find this product at a decent price, it could also be a cheaper way to get all the download content (dlc).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Addicting, and Great Game. (Unless You Don't Have LIVE...), December 13, 2010
This review is from: Borderlands Game of the Year -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I purchased the GOTY edition of Borderlands less than a week after it was released, and even now I am still thoroughly enjoying it. The kill and loot mechanics work really well, and there are a TON of guns (which I'm sure you know by now). The single player is really fun and enjoyable, but co-op is where this game really shines. Cooperating with your friends is great fun as everything becomes a bit more challenging. Boss battles are especially entertaining.

The graphics style is a peculiar form of cell-shading and I really love it. I can see why some may not like it though. The variety of guns is huge, with lots of different variations of fire rates, critical hit chances, clip sizes, scopes, elemental effects (acid, electricity, fire, explosion) and the gun types cover all types of guns you would expect in a shooter. There are four character classes which include: Siren (spell based), Hunter (long-range, and has a pet bird which you can unleash upon enemies), Soldier (jack of all trades), and Berserker (prefers to murder people with his fists).

The game does have a few problems, however. Mission variations are somewhat limited, the color palette of environments mainly consists of grey, brown, and.. well.. More grey and brown. There are class variations, but by the end of the game, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference which you pick. The skill trees don't offer a very vast split between classes or between the other skill trees of a certain class. One problem many people have been complaining about (with the GOTY edition) is that the DLC content is not included on a disc. You have to instead enter the four codes you are given into the Xbox LIVE Marketplace and download them that way. This can be an obvious drawback for many people but for me, it was not an issue.

While the game does have a few drawbacks, I'm still giving it 5 stars based solely on the fact that Borderlands is a hell of a lot of fun to play, and (in my opinion) the best co-op game out there.

2.0 out of 5 stars No Disc- No Go, October 12, 2010
This review is from: Borderlands Game of the Year -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I was all excited about this until I seen it was for "DLC vouchers" and not a physical disc- bogus. I would think anyone who would buy this would be people who couldn't download the DLC in the first place. You can buy a used copy of the game for $15.00 and download the DLC if thats the way you wanted to go. Not everyone plays online or has a good enough internet connection to do so. Plus, they do not make it very clear on the box that its just vouchers. Reminds me of the time my friend bought the Gold Edition of Resident Evil 5- only to find out that all of the extras were downloadable only- a lot of good that did him in the Middle East. I would be very interested to see how many people return this game when they find out there is no disc.

5.0 out of 5 stars A game with style, October 16, 2010
This review is from: Borderlands Game of the Year -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I was introduced to this game by my oldest son and we played it together on Xbox Live. The game play is a blast. A fun blend of first-person shooter and Role Playing Game elements. But what really makes the game for me is the absolutely compelling visual style, artwork and music. They really hit a homerun on that front. I marvel at all the little detail that one finds in the most obscure places on the maps. Others will enjoy the tremendous amount of loot-collecting. This edition of the game includes tokens to download all four of the extra Down Loadable Content that expands the game into four new maps on the planet Pandora. A physical map is also included in this edition of the game. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Greatest Games Ever, December 13, 2011
This review is from: Borderlands Game of the Year -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Being relatively new to the XBox 360 (girlfriend bought me one against my wishes for Christmas 2010), I have instantly become a fan of action, adventure, role playing, strategy, etc. genres spanning all sub-genres (FPS, schmup, third-person, etc.). Beginning with RDR and COD Black Ops, which were heavily promoted when my girlfriend bought the Xbox, these two were my instant favorites. Once hooked, I began seriously looking into the best of the best XBox games and quickly found new all-time personal favorites including Bioshock I & II, Dead Space I & II, Batman Arkham Asylum and City, GOW I-III, COD (all), Halo (all), Mass Effect I&II, Fallout 3, in addition to some more subtler titles such as Singularity, Alan Wake, Darksiders, BulletStorm (yes, with all it's juvenile humor, awesome mindless violence, and short campaign), and even Brutal Legend (which is fantastic if you haven't played it). Although I had seen Borderlands come up in my searches for great games again and again, I didn't think I could get past the cel-shading technique resulting in the cartoonish aesthetics but, running low on games that I've finished, I decided to give Borderlands GOTY a try.

My initial impression was that the game sucked -- not because of game play or storyline, but because I was one of the few where Clap Trap wouldn't trigger an event in the very beginning. This happened twice. Before almost throwing this garbage away, I perused the forums and read that I needed to restart the game another time. Third time was the charm.

Once I was able to talk to Dr. Zed, the game came to life. Built upon the typical framework of gameplay -- which goes like this: here's your mission, go on your way, return when mission is completed, here is your reward -- this game does not disappoint. Not only are the missions a blast, the amount of weapons from which to choose is incredible. Granted, the baddies may get a bit repititious, but I just used that as a reason to find different ways of killing them -- from using grenade launchers that electricute enemies, to machine gunning them down and watching them burn, to sniping them from a great distance and watching them corrode, to mowing them down in hordes with a high-powered shotgun. My personal favorite is letting Bloodwing -- my bird -- kill my enemies for me and then cleaning up what he doesn't get to.

As for the aesthetics, I couldn't believe that I let the cel-shading technique prevent me from buying this game a long time ago. After just a couple of hours of gameplay, I couldn't have imagined Borderlands' animation to be any other. To me, the animation drew me into the game even more than if they had taken a more realistic route.

In terms of replay value, I was ecstatic to start the game over after my first run-through using my same character and find that the baddies leveled up too. Also contributing to high replay value is the fact that there are four character classes to choose from, each with different skills and styles. But that's not it for replay (wow, I sound like that commercial guy that snorted himself into a heart attack)-- with the Game of the Year edition, you can pop in disk 2 for the DLCs, three of which are equally as impressive as the game itself and allow you to increase your maximum level from 50 to 68!

All in all, I truly feel that you can't compare different genres and subgenres of games to each other much the same as you cannot compare Pink Floyd to Mudvayne to Frank Sinatra, but you definitely can have favorites within each genre. That being said, for the science fiction first person shooter with elements of role playing, Borderlands is definitely at the top of my list. This game is worth every penny.

Borderlands Game of the Year -Xbox 360