Borderlands Game of the Year -Xbox 360
Format: Video GameChange
Price:$29.68+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 8, 2011
Several other reviewers had been dismayed by the Game of the Year Edition because it only came with down load vouchers for the extra content. I just ordered this game edition for X Box 360 early February 2011 and the DLC was on a second disk along with a poster. Also, the package was delivered very quickly.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 24, 2011
I purchased my copy from Amazon, not other vendors. It came with two discs (plus a map), one for the main game and a second one for the DLCs. As mentioned previously here, peep through the plastic case for the second disc before removing the seal. The plastic case is fairly transparent, even with the plastic wrap on, but you may not actually see the discs. What you are looking for is the presence of an additional piece of green plastic layer right in the middle. It is most visible from the top and the bottom edges of the case. Also my 2-disc copy is fairly heavy compared to other single-disc games. Check before opening. You can still return the game when the plastic wrap and the seal are intact.

This game is a load of fun!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 28, 2010
I basically waited until the GOTY Edition so this is the first time I played the game. I'm a veteran of FPS game in general and this is definitely one of the best I have played. I've put in about 20+ hours solo in the main game but have not touched the DLC yet so I cannot comment on either multiplayer or the expansions from experience.

Awesome Features

Randomly Generated Guns:
Basically there are the 8 basic types of weapons (pistols, SMG, revolvers, shotguns, assault rifles, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, and alien weapons) and 5 or so randomly chosen parts on each weapon. This is GREAT because each configuration adds to the weapon visually and in purpose e.g. not having a buttstock on an assault rifle causes the accuracy to go down.

RPG Style Skill Trees:
With each of the four classes you get 3 branches in their skill tree. It is very similar to MMORPGS like WOW where you can spec your characters to play certain ways. My first play-through I chose the berserker character who I am specing to basically be an all melee character. This shows the unique flexibility of the gameplay, there isn't another FPS game out there where you can play as a melee class and be more effective than someone with a gun.

Awesome Reasons to Buy

Style:
Borderlands is a fully cell shaded game with plenty of humor and baddassness to satisfy the core as well as casual. It is very lowbrow and violent though so if you are easily offended by toilet humor and foul language and get sick when enemies chunk you may not like the game. If not, then you'll love it. The arcade/MMO style visual queues add a lot to the game play too.

Replayability:
Unlimited! Similar to Diablo you can play through the game multiple times keeping your level and the enemies will scale with you (also the weapons). Since there are 4 characters you'll want to try out all of their different styles. And with your current character you'll definitely want to play through several times until you hit the level cap (69 get this version and downloaded the DLC), to max out your skills, and get better weapons.

Controls:
They're tight. I really have nothing more to say about it. Standard FPS (grenades, aim, shoot, look).

Pace:
So far the pace of the game is perfect. I haven't heard/read much about this, but it is one of those things that will kill a game if it is bad and if it's good you will never hear about it. I'm level 35 and have never wished that I had more quests (or had to farm for XP like some RPGs). In the beginning it's a little hard going when you hit some of the boss characters, but once you pick up your skills and get some upgraded guns it quickly becomes less frustrating and more of an experience to fight them.

When I bought the game the sales guy told me that multiplayer is 90% of the game. That statement made me second-guess my purchase at the time (since I don't know anyone who has the game) but once I dived into it I quickly realized that if this is 10% of the game I made a great choice.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 2, 2011
I'm a 56 year old female gamer that fell in love with this game. I hadn't gotten into FPS much but definitely understand their appeal, so when my son popped in Borderlands and had me play I was surprised how much I loved this game. Here's why: different character classes, lots & lots of guns, skill tree that upgrades, ability to choose controller configuration, light story, humor, claptraps (dancing to boot LOL), fast travel network, and being able to quit but start back up where I was at - when I started playing the expansions I missed this a lot! Being an older gamer comes with age related issues :-) arthritis etc so having a controller configuration that lets me use the trigger for firing is AWESOME. This game has the 'replay' factor - I'm on playthrough 2 with Brick and seeing different weapons which is fun. I love when you play it again and it is still FUN, does anybody remember playing the original Zelda and on the second playthrough items were in a different place? Not quite the same thing but same 'feel' to it. LOVE this game!!!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Picture a futuristic western environment on an alien planet... with copious amounts of guns, and special abilities, oh, and don't forget quests. A few of my friends were on board with Borderlands from the beginning, but I was skeptical and held back. I absolutely adore shooters like the Halo franchise and the Gears of War franchise, and I was very unsure about becoming involved in a game that appeared to be very wide open and lengthy. However, when I picked up the game and started it playing it Christmas 2010, I was beyond pleasantly surprised. I couldn't put it down. I loved the characters, I loved the landscape and graphics, done in the cell-shaded method, and I loved the guns, crazy amounts of smgs, snipers, pistols, repeaters, assault rifles. In less than two months, I had 100% completion on the game, including all of the DLC, completing every mission. For those of you who think that it is maybe too large of a game, please reconsider. I consider every second played time well spent. BTW, the cooperative play is also inspired. Play with up to three additional friends. My only warning about playing with other people, however, is that if they have some missions completed that you haven't started yet, it might mess up a mission or two. Otherwise, grab a copy of Borderlands (I recommend a copy of the Game of the Year Edition, with all the DLC already on it) and join the treasure hunt on Pandora. It's not too late to play one of the greatest games of the millennium.
on December 13, 2010
I purchased the GOTY edition of Borderlands less than a week after it was released, and even now I am still thoroughly enjoying it. The kill and loot mechanics work really well, and there are a TON of guns (which I'm sure you know by now). The single player is really fun and enjoyable, but co-op is where this game really shines. Cooperating with your friends is great fun as everything becomes a bit more challenging. Boss battles are especially entertaining.

The graphics style is a peculiar form of cell-shading and I really love it. I can see why some may not like it though. The variety of guns is huge, with lots of different variations of fire rates, critical hit chances, clip sizes, scopes, elemental effects (acid, electricity, fire, explosion) and the gun types cover all types of guns you would expect in a shooter. There are four character classes which include: Siren (spell based), Hunter (long-range, and has a pet bird which you can unleash upon enemies), Soldier (jack of all trades), and Berserker (prefers to murder people with his fists).

The game does have a few problems, however. Mission variations are somewhat limited, the color palette of environments mainly consists of grey, brown, and.. well.. More grey and brown. There are class variations, but by the end of the game, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference which you pick. The skill trees don't offer a very vast split between classes or between the other skill trees of a certain class. One problem many people have been complaining about (with the GOTY edition) is that the DLC content is not included on a disc. You have to instead enter the four codes you are given into the Xbox LIVE Marketplace and download them that way. This can be an obvious drawback for many people but for me, it was not an issue.

While the game does have a few drawbacks, I'm still giving it 5 stars based solely on the fact that Borderlands is a hell of a lot of fun to play, and (in my opinion) the best co-op game out there.
on June 9, 2012
I received this game as a Xmas gift about 18 months ago and to this point I've played 3 of 4 characters to Level 69. To be honest the first few hours I played this thing I didn't enjoy the experience being a recent cardiac patient that went thru open heart surgery and therapy and the skags and enemies lurching and attacking became startling at times and didn't know if it was safe to continue on especially in the beginning when the weapons are weak and you have no idea of what your doing but each time I played it became more and more addictive and I normally hate RPG's but the vending machines and weapons/cash accumulation became addictive as hell.

Whatever you do make sure you get the GOTY edition as those add-on's add tons of gameplay challenges for next to nothing. The Game has it's annoyances and I think the programmers do some things to tick you off but I still love playing it 90% of the time. I've succeeded with every challenge SOLO thru playthrough two and guys this is not one of those recent games that last ten hours - this thing can take what seems like forever to make through level 69. Admittedly, my biggest annoyance is Crawmax is the only area I've failed at SOLO - it seems impossible to do solo or at least I cannot handle another trip up that elevator after 3 hours straight of getting my butt kicked and losing my fortune.

The irony in playing all four characters is that what appears to be the strongest one in Brick - he is the worst of all IMO - his weapon drops and mod's SUCK and he is impotent and gets pushed aside when going up against Boss Levels - my favorite is Roland and Lilith/Mordecai a tie for second but Brick needs to go. I look forward to B2 hoping the programmers exclude any changes and follow the same track and not that Duke Nukem piece of crap - what a horrible POS that thing was - I wouldn't take Duke for FREE so stay true to the Borderlands formula guys.

A few tips - Save a corrosive launcher for all road bandits and Mel - takes them out like melting butter with a torch - one hit. Reserve regen ammo weapons for Destroyer level PT1/PT2 otherwise it's likely you may run out of ammo. When you finish a Playthrough or add-on set ALWAYS let the looooong credits run no matter how boring that may be - I made the mistake of turning off the console to bypass and I lost everything I'd done and had to repeat the Boss Battles again. When you finish regular mission and it says "Turn-in" you can either run back thru and 90% of the time you'll make it or you can save and exit and it'll return you (not during Boss Battles though). My best regular weapons have been the Combustion Hellfire 4X with Scope and Pestilent Defiler 4X (also have many CYAN weapons farmed in Knox Armory-they are easily the best but can take forever to farm) but keep in mind that weapon drops are different with different characters are as Mod's. Bricks weapons were easily the weakest - Rolands best and Lilith gets great weapons and Mod's even though the first 15 levels using her were annoying and hard to get used to but around level 20 she started getting kick butt weapons and mods that blew away Brick Berserker skills. Even if you don't use Regen Ammo weapons reserve them anyways for some major battles where you may run out of ammo - make sure you shop all Clap Trap repairs in PT1 to build your backpack storage since many become nothing but useless grenades in PT2.

Enjoy as it has almost unmatched replay value with the GOTY edition especially when you consider the strategy is different for each of the four characters you may choose.
on December 31, 2010
This is a first-person shooter with Call of Duty controls, but you have the added benefits of an RPG. Numerous guns that have random abilities, enemies that take more than 3 bullets to kill (until you level up), and a story that follows traditional RPG structures.

Controls:
If you're used to playing shooters, you'll probably have to crank up the sensitivity for the analog sticks, or it will take too long to turn around and shoot the enemies that sneak up on you. After doing that, everything seems to work tightly.

Running is infinite, so you won't get tired. The planet you are on seems to have a lower gravitational pull, so jumping is more like a Halo game-- you spend longer in the air. The only thing I really missed was diving to prone from Black Ops, though that game did get released a whole year later.

Cons:
The variation of enemies seems to be limited-- I've only played the original game so far because I didn't want to get overloaded with possibilities, but I've played my character to level 16 (out of 50, I believe). I probably just have high expectations after playing Final Fantasy VII and its hundreds of enemy types.

It is possible to get into an area where all the enemies are higher levels than you are, which becomes annoying because the health powerups are few or do little. (Again, for a level 16 playthrough on normal).

The sound in the game is all too quiet. E.g., my TV volume is at 17 for Call of Duty and most other games, but it is cranked up to 34+ for Borderlands.

The game does not seem to support surround sound in a helpful way. In most other decent shooters, you can hear the footsteps of people sneaking up behind you (especially with Turtle Beach headsets), but this game seems to just have the same sound level regardless of where the sound originates.

The game does a good job of opening the story and introducing the Heads-Up Display (HUD), but the opening cannot be skipped during subsequent playthroughs.

Pros:
While enemies can be higher levels than you, the developers did a good job of implementing a warning system. Simply aim your gun at the enemies and their levels will pop up above them, along with their health and shield bars. Different icons are used to designate how tough the enemy is compared to your current stat level-- A skull means you probably shouldn't try it, and an exclamation point warns you that it will be a tough battle but you may make it out alive.

If you die during a battle, you will respawn at the nearest spawn location that you activated. This activation is usually automatic upon entering areas that require loading from the disc. This lets you run right back into battle to clean up what you started and pick up anything that has already been dropped by the enemies you killed.

Multiplayer is a nice feature. Play side-by-side splitscreen or play on Xbox Live. Each person playing receives the experience points (XP) that other players earn from killing enemies or doing jobs. This is nice because you don't have to worry about "kill stealing" like in other shooters, where other players get all the credit for killing the enemy you worked so hard to try killing. To offset the experience points, it seems like their is some type of multiplier for the number of enemies and how difficult they are. Levelling up is a lot quicker in multiplayer than in single player.

Also in multiplayer: the person who picks up an objective item does not have to be the person who returns it or uses it. We had one person die, and he respawned where the item was to be returned. I had picked up the objective, and he used it right away. Having a four-player game can greatly reduce the travel time between locations, if desired.

I knew I wanted this game as soon as it came out, but I don't like having to pay for the extra downloads that are destined to be released. This Game of the Year edition is perfect for people like me, who want everything in a single package-- but YOU WILL NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE 4 EXPANSIONS FROM XBOX LIVE. You don't need a gold account, though, unless you want to play online via Xbox Live.

If you can find this product at a decent price, it could also be a cheaper way to get all the download content (dlc).
on October 12, 2010
I was all excited about this until I seen it was for "DLC vouchers" and not a physical disc- bogus. I would think anyone who would buy this would be people who couldn't download the DLC in the first place. You can buy a used copy of the game for $15.00 and download the DLC if thats the way you wanted to go. Not everyone plays online or has a good enough internet connection to do so. Plus, they do not make it very clear on the box that its just vouchers. Reminds me of the time my friend bought the Gold Edition of Resident Evil 5- only to find out that all of the extras were downloadable only- a lot of good that did him in the Middle East. I would be very interested to see how many people return this game when they find out there is no disc.
2828 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 4, 2011
Toward the end of 2009 when Borderlands originally came out, I bought it on a lark, figuring that if worst came to worst, it would fill time between Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2.

As it turned out, I interrupted playing Borderlands to run through Mass Effect 2 a couple of times, then went right back to Borderlands.

First and foremost, this game is deep. You can sink hundreds of hours into it and still enjoy it, especially if you're a fan of loot (and if you aren't a fan of loot, why are you playing video games?) since Borderlands can theoretically generate something on the order of 17 million random weapons. You can choose to take on side-quests which give you better equipment and experience points or focus on the main story. You can explore Pandora or just run through to the end game. And when you finish, you can start Playthrough 2 which raises the levels of all the mobs and loot so you can do it all again. And then there's Playthrough 2.5. It is easy to sink 50-75 hours into this game just doing missions and completing quests.

The game's description of being the baby of the first-person shooter and role-playing game genre is accurate; yes, it's a shooter. Yes, you'll level up and select abilities to customize your character (and there is no shortage of tested and recommended character builds for all levels of the game). Yes, you'll improve your gear and weapons and fight bigger, badder monsters.

But more importantly, the single-player and co-op gameplay are exceptional. Players lose nothing by going through the entire game by themselves, but will get more experience and better loot with other people along for the ride.

The GOTY edition has a drawback in that the downloadable content is not on a physical disc in the box - that means used copies are virtually worthless since the codes will have been used.

However, this game is an even greater bargain with the DLC added in. While Mad Moxxi's Underdome is arena combat and may not be appealing to everyone, the other three additions are significant additions, each adding another 5-10 hours of fun and exploration to the game. General Knoxx is especially fun, and Zombie Island is still enjoyable, despite the deluge of zombie-related games / DLCs / etc. in the past few years.

Simply put, the Borderlands GOTY edition is one of the best games available for the Xbox 360 and is a fantastic value purchase for the content provided in this pack.