Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bored to Death: Season 3
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$14.99

on October 27, 2012
This show is witty, silly, and smart -- a great watch. Such a shame this show was cancelled, although three seasons is not a bad run all in all. After watching all three seasons in an embarrassingly short amount of time, I think it might be time to start reading some of Ames' books.
This show kept up its high quality in season three with the same trio of characters being at the center of the action. This is a show I would recommend seeing in order but it isn't absolutely necessary. However, it helps because you see the initial friendship between Jonathan and George expand to include the comic book creator. Jonathan's detective duties have increased and he gets himself into as much trouble as ever with this unlicensed occupation. Time and again the other two are called to come save him from some job where he's about to die.

For anyone unfamiliar with the show, Jason Schwartzman plays Jonathan. He is a novelist but also increasingly an unlicensed private investigator who picks up his clients off Craig's list. His friend who is his age is Ray (Zach Galifianakos) He is a comic book writer and often dresses in his character's caped costume. He has a loyal band of fans and followers. Jonathan's other friend is George, a former magazine editor who now is a restaurant owner. George is played by Ted Danson and is absolutely hilarious.

In a way this is like a very sophisticated, uptown version of the Three Stooges. The three of them have so many women problems that they may as well remain single and hang around one another. In this series, Jonathan discovers he has a biological father and tracks this person down. Only problem is that he ends up becoming enamored of his half sister while doing so without realizing they are related.

One hilarious episode involved Jonathan's taking George's daughter to a stake out. The action is so wild at this stake out with the people they are watching that George gets mad at Jonathan for corrupting his daughter and they end up in therapy together. I also loved it when George and Ray both became Don Quixote for awhile singing the Impossible Dream from Man of La Mancha as they run to their daughter and ex girlfriend.

A host of other famous actors come and go in this series. They don't seem to use anyone who isn't top flight. For example: Kristin Wiig, Oliver Platt, Olympia Dukais, Bebe Neurvirth and so forth. It is a who's who of the sitcom tv world.

Visit my blog with link given on my profile page here or use this phonetically given URL (livingasseniors dot blogspot dot com). Friday's entry will always be weekend entertainment recs from my 5 star Amazon reviews in film, tv, books and music. These are very heavy on buried treasures and hidden gems. My blogspot is published on Monday, Wednesday & Friday.
on January 17, 2013
This is one of those shows that slowly creeps into the consciousness. All the characterizations are extreme yet not over the top. Ted Danson probably plays the best character of his career.

Like "Arrested Development" I feel the subtlety of this show will achieve the recognition it deserves long after the production ceased...
on May 4, 2013
I had previously watched and LOVED the first two seasons of Bored to Death. They were original, classy, funny, and the characters were relatable and believable. I had, however never watched the third & final season, and while a friend told me it was pretty bad compared to the first two seasons I bought it anyway since I wanted to own the entire series and did not believe it could be that bad. I was wrong.

The LACK of the final two things I liked about the first two seasons are what killed the series, in my opinion, in the third season. The show went from yes, always being quirky, but where the characters seemed REAL, to a much more slapstick-y goofy, weird and even gross (in a skin-crawly way) feel. It was like the characters in this season were written differently from how they were in the first two seasons. Ames moves from a normal place into some weird DC-comics-type watchtower apartment. Rather than rooting for & liking Galifiniakis and Danson's characters as you do in the first two seasons, you pity them and see them both more as losers. Rather than being a neurotic, bored writer wanting to expand his horizons and cope with his loss of companionship like in the first two seasons, it becomes where Schwartzman is much more scripted Private Eye trying to be a like a quippy stooge, like someone in a Naked Gun-type movie. It is hard to explain exactly, but the season just fell right off the cliff after two great ones, and thus led to the show being axed.

Bottom-line: Sad deal this season was so bad - or DIFFERENT, one could certainly say, compared to the first two, but I frankly wish I had NOT bought this season after having bought the first two seasons - I feel like it was a waste of money. It is such a strange season, that while I would be happy to have most people in my life borrow the first two seasons, I would be embarrassed to let them borrow this one.
on July 23, 2016
Great series. Laid back look at what is important in life. The main actor is great and plays a very interesting pot smoking private detective for hire as side work. This brings a healtly cloud of fresh air to the Trio, Ted Dan.. from Cheers known as a lady killer retired baseball player bar owner plays a genuine role as an older wealthy magazine owner in the big city that has no problem sharing his spoils with friends to gon the fun, one if which cracks me the hell up. Zach Galifinskus .. I don't think I spelled it correct, but who cares, that mental dried up clown part was heart wrenching. Zach, did you make up your last name!? I love you regardless. A good watch for anyone that grew up watching Cheers and is not anti-Pot.
on May 1, 2015
This is just a sweet sweet series. I am so mad at myself that I ignored it when it was on HBO (helped by the fact that I didn't have HBO when it was on), but watching the past 3 seasons of "Bored to Death" restores my faith in comedy that can be both good-hearted, raunchy and edgy all at the same time. Realistically, unless you watch Seasons 1 & 2, you will be lost coming into Season 3 - and you probably won't feel the comedy in many of the relationship changes that were set up in earlier seasons. But - big BUT here - the payoffs in Season 3 compensate enormously. Although I've read that there was always an intended Season 4, cut short by HBO cancelling the show, nevertheless the final episode is appropriately "conclusive" to be satisfying. Good news: there is a "finale" movie in the works: the writer Jonathan Ames, has said that the only thing holding it up is finishing the screenplay, "and right now I'm on page 94 of 120 pages." Fingers crossed he types faster!
on May 30, 2016
I was only able to watch 2 episodes. The storyline and the relationships seem forced to me. It would have been a good show in the 1970s, but my expectations are much higher now. There are just too many series that have great storylines, interesting and believable characters and high production values. Most of those series are on premium channels, or have been created by NetFlix or Amazon as standalone shows that are captivating. This just isn't one of them.
on June 19, 2015
I wasn't sure I was going to like this when I started watching it. To be honest, I hate Zach Galifianakis. I hate all the movies he has been in, and probably would hate him in person if I ever met him. His characters are extremely vulgar with no redeeming characteristics. And he is that in this, a demented cartoonist who prevails in drawing his private parts.

But the rest of the cast makes up for this pervert. I haven't like Ted Danson in anything since Cheers, but this series, he character is hilarious.

Like others, I was sorry it was cancelled. It was clever, and very funny. I don't do drugs, and never got into that scene, but Danson and the others being stoned during most of their antics, was just over the top.
on March 15, 2016
The small family dynamic of the three Zack, Ted, jason on screen makes this one of the funniest shows on television. The rag tag team go about taking cases and solving often insignificant crimes all the often while on pharmaceutical or recreational drugs getting into trouble wherever they go. I like the edgy comedy but there are times where it gets annoying and silly. But I think the show will ultimately improve as it goes on.
on July 22, 2016
Based upon his politics, I pretty much avoided watching anything that featured Ted Danson. However, there was no way I was not going to watch Fargo in which he turned out to be excellent. So, when I saw Bored to Death on Prime decided to give it a try. Again, Danson offers up an excellent performance. Each episode moves along quickly and always ends with a great song. Some nudity and swearing but nothing too offensive.