Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Package Quantity: 12|Size: 10 1/4 ounce|Change

on September 23, 2011
These canning jars are very attractive. I'm not sure this matters to others, but some people really appreciate attractive glass and I'm one of them. I have a dear friend who also appreciates it, and my late Mother would have liked this too. They have wide enough mouths to easily funnel in what you are canning (I made preserves) and I really like that they are 10 1/8 oz as opposed to the standard 8 ounce. The extra 2 ounces is, in my opinion, enough to make it more of a presentable gift than the one cup jars.
I initially thought I would have difficulty finding replacement lids for these jars as they are foreign made and the original lids have the rubber seal built into the lid. However, I found, much to my happiness, that the pint jar lids that can be found most anywhere fit these jars.
on March 13, 2012
Let's face it: if you've been canning as long as I have, you get a little bored. Some veteran canners relieve their ennui by packing food into fancy patterns, like the spiral veggie pickles I've seen at the fair. Some challenge themselves to weird feats, like safely stuffing an entire chicken into a quart jar (including giblets!). Others just add cloves to everything, including meat. Me? I lust after funky jars. If there's a blue old Atlas or Economy mason jar at a yard sale, I'm rushing to the ATM! I've eyeballed these sexy jars online for years, but they're freaking expensive. And no bloody way am I shipping glass to our rutted rural dirt road. And they're...Italian. Pretty and stylish, obviously, but will they actually WORK?

Yes they do. And what's more, their sizes (more later) fill a comfy niche in your pantry--a nice "in-between" the usual cups, pints and quarts.

Like the gorgeous French Le Parfait system, things work a little differently here. The Bormioli system uses a one-piece lid, unlike North America's more familiar two-piece flat lid and screw. It's a more-expensive option (well, I'll be honest..it's a LOT more expensive), but I'm digging not having metal rings stuffed into every kitchen nook, using up valuable space. Plus, they'll be used again later when I make freezer jam in this darling jar. (Just don't can with them twice: they're a one-off deal).

I made gingered dried fruit compote today, and canned them in this big 17 Oz jar. It looks lovely, and I heard the satisfying "snap" of the lid as it sealed itself, just like I would in a Ball or Kerr. The jar is thick and heavy, and I banged it around without mishap. It also has a lip that I could easily use to lift it out of the water with my canning tongs. Plus, the danged thing is just so PRETTY and SUBSTANTIAL. I don't feel like I was ripped off at all!

I've bought two individual jars at a specialty store--billed as 17 and 1/8th oz. here (which can't be correct)--but Bormioli's brochure advertises them as .50 L and .30 L. Bormioli has many cool mason jar shapes, and the lids match millimeter of the lid diameter, not the shape. Lid sizes are .86 mm, .70 mm and .56. When reordering lids, make sure you know which you want.

I know I'm being long-winded, but I'm so shocked by how much I'm in love with this system that I've got to calm down and say this: most canning contests at American county fairs won't accept these jars, as they aren't "standard" size (thus matching an approved USDA recipe, canning times and pressures). So wowing my County Fair pals (a surprisingly competitive bunch) is out. I also haven't pressure-canned with them yet. But if they pass THAT test, these jars filled with my own compotes, lime curds, dried fruits, meat stews or pressure-canned veggies just ought to set me up as my neighborhood's most sought-after gift giver. Believe me, I'll be ordering more, and this time, in bulk.

PS: And one more, INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT thing: Do NOT mess around with pressure-canning times and LBS. Please..PLEASE be aware of how vital it is that low-acid foods be properly processed to avoid the deadly botulinum bacteria, which can paralyze and/or kill you in mere moments. Consult your county extension agent for canning advice, or better yet, take an extension-offered canning class!
on August 25, 2012
I want to point out that both the 70 mm lid and the wider 86 mm lid can be replaced by the standard Ball regular lids or wide lids, so, I will use the caps the jars come with 1 time, and then use the Ball lids from then on. I like having a variety of canning jars with interesting motifs, and I love these Italian canning jars to show off my canning effort.
on December 16, 2008
These jars were very attractive and came neatly and safely packaged. The size is perfect for jam, preserves or Indian pickle (that's what I made), and the shape cute enough that you don't need to dress up the jar if giving it away as a gift..just fill it with something yummy!
on March 13, 2013
I bought these for storage (and just to look at). I live in a humid climate where everything rusts.The lids are the standard Mason/Ball regular size, so I swapped out the metal lids for plastic ones

The jars are prettier than the on-line image. I plan to buy more and use as gift containers at Christmas, birthdays, and just fits of niceness.

I noted other reviewers stated there was a problem with breakage. Mine arrived well packaged and unbroken.
on November 4, 2014
These jars are simply beautiful. I love that the lid is one piece too. Bought to store my homemade salad dressings and other liquids that could prove disastrous if they leaked from a plastic container in the refrigerator or during transport. All twelve jars arrived intact and in pristine condition.
on December 31, 2015
I bought these for pickles I made to give as Christmas party favors. placed them in burlap bags with a glass pickle ornament tied to the outside of the bags. included a card with the german tradition of the pickle ornament inside the bag. I don't usually can goods or enter county fairs. so I can't comment on all that. but the jars were a little different and I hoped they would convey the message to my guests that I put thought and time into the gift I made.
Canning if fun, but it does take a lot of time, work, and depending on what you're making, it can be costly. With that kind of investment, sometimes a special jar is just the right icing on the cake.

These are absolutely beautiful. And I don't mind paying a premium for Italian manufacturing.
In using for canning, I had a few lids that didn't seal. Because they are one piece, and I've not used this type before, perhaps they were too tight or loose.
Still, I'd buy them again as they give a nice touch for the more elegant jams. For rustic, homey pickles and tomatoes, nothing beats Ball jars, but these are a lovely alternative.
on December 29, 2015
I used these jars to make LED lights for my fence. I drilled a hole in the top center, Epoxied light socket to a lamp rod, threaded it though the lid and into a bracket I welded together, and painted the top black. These glass and shape of these jars really made the lights look nice, and have a good uniform spread of light.
on September 15, 2013
Wish I could get unique jars that are american made. These jars are pretty when filled with plum preserves. The process is different for ball or kerr jars. Longer process with the one piece lids. But they are so pretty. Got them for gifts. Will stick with american made from now on