4.0 out of 5 stars Adorable jars, but replacement caps expensive.
PROS:
Published on November 14, 2011 by Palimpsest

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks aren't everything...
Published on October 2, 2011 by Ginger, Bella & Mala's Mom

4.0 out of 5 stars Adorable jars, but replacement caps expensive., November 14, 2011
Palimpsest (Washington State, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bormioli Rocco Quattro Stagioni 5 Ounce Canning Jar, Set of 12 (Kitchen)
PROS:
These little canning jars are adorable and display your canned goods to advantage. I used them to can a jelly that includes tiny bits of red and green peppers suspended in a clear, hot-pepper jelly. I planned to give half the resulting jars to friends for gifts, and keep the remainder to serve to company. With their thinner, clearer glass sides and more elegant shape, the little jars were an instant ooh-ahh hit with my friends and fellow canning aficionados. I also think that the higher-quality bottling helped convince the receivers of the gifts that the jelly was tastier and more special.

Each jar holds approximately 3/4" cup of liquid (allowing for a 1/4" gap at the top of the bottle), which is just about the perfect size for gift giving.

CONS:
The jars are made in Italy and use one solid, 56mm-sized cap (not a ring and lid), which aren't generally available for replacement at a reasonable price. The bottles won't accept any standard USA-made bottle caps. After googling, I found two places that sell replacement lids for $2.25 for three lids, which translates to $9.00 + a generous shipping cost of $17 for a set of twelve caps. If you're planning to give all your bottles away, this isn't a show stopper. If, like me, you expect to re-use some or all of the bottles, then you just need to factor the lid-replacement costs and availability into your bottling budget. I decided, instead, to switch to the one-cup Leifheit decorative canning jars and replacement lids (both available on Amazon), which when I factored in the costs of bottles, lids, and shipping turned out to be a few cents less expensive than the Quattro Stagioni. They're also equally attractive for gift giving.

RATING: I removed one star due to the cost and variable availability of replacement lids.

UPDATE (2/12/2012): Amazon is currently carrying the replacement lids at a reasonable price. Since I don't know if this will continue to be the case, I'm leaving my rating as is. I would recommend that you buy the replacement lids at the same time you buy the jars.

5.0 out of 5 stars M A G N I F I C O ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~, October 11, 2012
I've been using these jars for several years to can gifts for friends and family. The jars are gorgeous in their own right, but a cloth topper and/or a bow make them a real standout gift. I consider these jars a specialty item and not something I'd use for everyday canning - for that I would use regular Ball jars/lids/rings. But I'm okay with paying a little more for these high-quality adorable jars for gift giving, and consider the jar itself as much a part of the gift as its contents. I also use them to hold gifts of candied nuts, homemade granola and other things that do not get sealed in a water bath.

SEALING - I've never had a problem with the jars not sealing. The single-most important step in getting the jars to seal is to not over-tighten the lids! The air in the jar expands when heated and escapes through microscopic pores in the mastic, creating a vacuum. The lid needs to be tight enough to keep water from getting into the jar during the water bath, but not so tight that these pores are flattened and the air can't escape.

FINGERTIP TIGHT - To get the lid tightened correctly, the trick is to use ONLY your fingertips to screw the lid on. With just the strength of your thumb and four fingers, screw the lid on firmly. Don't curl your fingers and cup your hand around the rim using the strength of your wrist and arm. Only the tips of your fingers should touch the rim of the lid, and only your fingers should move to firmly tighten the lid.

WATERBATH - The lidded jars with their hot contents need to be completely covered in water no hotter than what comes out of your tap. Once the water comes to a boil on the stove, the 5-oz jars need to remain in the boiling water for 20 minutes, and the 8-1/2-oz jars for 25 minutes. The Bormioli Rocco website has process times for all the other size jars/bottle.

AFTER THE WATERBATH - Move the canner off the heat and let the jars remain under water in the canner. Let the jars cool down with the canning water - don't take them out of the water. Usually within five minutes of taking the canner off the heat I start hearing the metal "snap" of the lid as the vacuum seal is completed. Once the water is cool enough to put your fingers in, you can remove the jars and let them completely cool on the counter. Be sure to handle the jars by the neck of the jar, not the lid. And resist the urge to tighten the lid even more after the canning process ... it will break the seal!

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks aren't everything..., October 2, 2011
So...to first qualify myself. I've been canning for over 30 years - since I was able to walk & pick fruit/veggies from a garden. Historically, I've used ball jars with the 2-pc lids. So, that is my "expertise". I have never had experience canning with the single pc lid like these pretty jars had but I'm well versed with the english language & can read instructions pretty well. Anywho....over 50% of the lids didn't seal properly. The ones that did, only stayed sealed for a few days, and then popped. Too dang bad...these jars are meant to "sit there & look pretty", but don't expect much functional use from them. Will not buy again. They get 2 stars for looks & a big fat ZERO for functionality. Sorry~~

5.0 out of 5 stars Great as baby food jars, April 6, 2011
I purchased these jars because I decided to make my own baby food and these jars fit perfectly in our baby's bottle warmer, so I could pull a frozen cube of food out of the freezer, put in the jar and steam it in the bottle warmer, rather than nuke it. I love the one piece lids as well! Everyone always comments on how beautiful the jars are when they see me feeding my son with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pretty Jars, June 1, 2011
Nikisue "Luvtoshop" (San Leandro, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have used these jars when canning jams and find them to be superior in looks to most other jars I have seen and used. They make an elegant presentation all by themselves. That said, they are expensive. When canning one must feel sure that what we make and give to others is properly sealed and safe from harmful bacteria that can result from improper technique and sealing. And the USDA recommends jars that have a lid AND a ring, and these Bormioli (from Italy) jars do not use a ring. "Ball" jars which are American, use the lid and ring so I also use Ball jars. But these are just more elegant looking and have worked well overall. I will continue to use them. So far, 1 of of 8 jars that I've used has failed to seal but it doesn't mean the jar is defective, possibly I did not pack that particular one properly so I did not take away a star from my rating. It just happens sometimes no matter what kind of jar you use. There is a little slightly noticeable dot/indentation in the middle of this jar that you can press your finger to, to see if it is sealed. If you can push it down and it comes back up it is not sealed. If it cannot be pressed in and is slightly indented, it likely has the proper seal. My only other problem was one jar lid was so tight after sealing that I had to hit it multiple times with the end of a butter knife, against the counter, and finally put it upside down in a hot water bath to be able to unscrew it. I am pretty strong and rarely have issues getting jars open so that was exceptionally tough. I may have tightened it a little too much before I processed it but I don't really know for sure, so again, I couldn't take one star away.

A note of caution, one reviewer of the 8oz Bormioli jars said she did not boil the jars after she filled them, simply inverted them and they sealed when cooled. I would not recommend doing that. Boiling them after filling is an important part of the process. If you Google "USDA Food Canning Guidelines" you can read about how to properly can jams and many other foods. I would recommend it to anyone who has never seen it whether you're a newbie or have been doing it for years. I learned a lot and probably would not eat someone else's home canned foods unless I felt pretty comfortable that they are familiar with proper canning techniques. The bacteria & resulting illnesses that can result from improper canning methods are nothing to play with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous little jars!, September 23, 2010
We just got done filling them with fig preserves, they look beautiful and work really well.

5.0 out of 5 stars spice jar, November 2, 2011
Love these! I had to get the Avery High Visibility 1-2/3 Inch Diameter(5293)for the lids... I put them in basket/tray and decorate my kitchen as well!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Jars!!, April 8, 2013
I use many spices and spice powders in my cooking and always want them fresh. Every time its hard to roast and grind spices for freshness. So, I usually make small batches and prefer them to be stored in compact glass jars with airtight lid. Its important that the spice powders should not be in contact with air for long time to keep them fresh. Then, storing them was a big problem. I do not prefer storing spices in airtight plastic containers or pouches. I wanted small glass containers with airtight lids. My search went on and finally decided to try mason jars which are generally used in Canning. I bought them from Amazon. The jars were new and adorable. The jars work great for my purpose! They keep the spice powders fresh for longer period. I generally keep roasted ground powders half filled in jar for 2 months. Its been over a year and they still look great and transparent. I put them in dishwasher and they come out clean with no scratches. But, the only problem is sometimes the lid sticks so tight to open. It takes lot of strength from you to open the lid. Also, I would have preferred smaller jars, say 3oz or so. But, I dint find any on Amazon. Anyways, I am happy with these spice jars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for gift giving, January 23, 2013
I LIVE in Italy and have a difficult time getting these jars. The supermarkets here are ALWAYS very low or have no stock at all of these jars. I can get all the lids I want but there are hardly ever any jars available. I decided to look on Amazon and low and behold there they are. Not only are the available on Amazon they are less expensive then what I can get them for here in Italy!! In Italy I pay 2.00 euro (that's $2.66 US) a jar, the Amazon price turns out to be about $1.71 per jar, plus using super saver shipping which is free, bonus!! How do I use super saver shipping living overseas? I work for the US Government here and have a US mailing address.

Those of you who have had issues with the lids sealing, be sure to wipe the rims of the jars with a damp cloth to be sure the rim is clean before placing the lids on. Also be sure to boil the lids before placing on the jars and then invert the jars until they have cooled. I never have any issues with the lids sealing by doing it this way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Jars!, February 13, 2011
Jen "..." (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
These jars worked wonderfully for me when I was water bath canning some peach jam. There weren't any lids that didn't seal, and as an added bonus, they're pretty and can be used over and over again!

Bormioli Rocco Quattro Stagioni 5 Ounce Canning Jar, Set of 12