Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 29, 2002
This book perpetrates years of negative media images of African American people and women in general. It contributes to the false notion that a Eurocentric physical appearance is an indicatior of African American beauty. The photograph on the front cover of the book is a fine example of this. All of the young women in the photograph have long straightened/chemically altered hair and their skin complexions range from light to medium brown. None of these young sisters are dark skinned nor do they sport natural and/or short hair styles! In addition this book contributes to the socializing of girls into being
self-consumed with beauty. A young woman's self esteem should be based on her character, her talents and her accomplishments NOT on her appearance. They must know they are special because they are respected and valued. Tips on beauty from the "Hollywood stars" and beauty tips on how to prepare for a "date" are shallow issues that do not build self-esteem, strong principals or values. Lets not insult the intelligence of our teen daughters by believing that their world ONLY consits of beauty and dates. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS BOOK! More appropriate books for young African American womens'beauty should be centered around self-love and self-acceptance. Natural beauty books that truly embrace self-love/acceptance and Afrocentricity are "No Lye" by Tulani Kinard and "Lets Talk Hair" by Pamela Ferrell. Start your daughters off with these two books. It is in these kinds of books that the "beauty" issues around self-esteem that plague so many African American women and teens today are discussed. It is also in these books that various photos of African American females of many complexions,and hair textures/lenghts and ages are shown.
77 comments|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2012
A non-black friend asked if this was an appropriate gift for my daughter. She was concerned that there were no photos of girls with natural nappy or kinky hair and styles and while pretty - all of the models were medium to light brown. We have been friends a very long time. teen age girls are so sensitive and impressionable. we have to be aware of the messages we send to them. I am not comfortable with this message for my daughter.
there is a very short section on natural hair ' which is difficult to manage'. REALLY?!?!?!
on January 22, 2012
This is not a good book for all young African American girls. all of the girls have make up and chemically treated hair. This is not OK if your trying to teach your young princess to be happy with who she is as she is NOW. That is if you don't allow your teenager or preteen to wear makeup, and your don't allow her to chemically treat her hair. I didn't give my child this book, nor will I re-gift it. Hope this helps moms that are raising daughters to appreciate their natural beauty.
on February 3, 2006
I bought this book when I was a teenager and found it helpful. It does need some color pictures.
on April 1, 2006
I bought this as a gift for one of my daughter's friends a year ago. She still thanks me and tells me how much she's been able to use it and how helpful it's been. She wants me to find something just like it for her birthday this year, too. There simply aren't enough books like this for black preteen and teenage girls. She has made a lot of changes not just in how she takes care of herself, but also in the way she views herself. She's become quite the confident young lady in the past year.
on May 1, 2002
~*Top ten steps to becoming beautiful*~
1.This book tells you all about your do's & dont's bout' your hair.
2.How to keep those fabulous nails in place.
3.How to keep & maintain that beautiful chocolate & caramel skin.
4.How to look *fabulous* for your date.
5.How choose the most vibrant colors for your complexion.
6.How to keep & maintain your fitness attitude.(Even if it means lay low on all your favorite *goodies*)
5.How to choose & the whole low down on *tatoos* & body piercings)
6.How to choose the right fragrances for you and your style.
7.How to apply the best makeup for you.
8.How to keep a cool & chic athletic look.
9.How to flaunt your favorite hairstyles.
10.And last but not least, from turning you in to that black princess but to that *black queen*)
*I hope this break it down 10 steps helps you in knowin what this book is all about*
This book was reviewed by Lady Tee
on October 27, 2015
I returned this book because it was the old version, i.e. black and white and pictures of celebrities from the 90s. At first glance, I knew my niece would not be interested.
on January 25, 2015
Our adopted daughter is trilled with this book. SInce I am not of African descent, there is much I cannot answer for her. This book takes care of it all!
on November 13, 2006
My appearance-conscientious, 13-year-old daughter finds this book helpful and positive. With Essence and Right On! magazines as our usual source for beauty advice, I found this book to be a pleasant mixture of both as it is as informative as Essence magazine with age-appropriate concepts-like Right On! magazine. Buy it!
on May 31, 2009
I don't understand why someone would think that this book is negetive. I heard one reviewer say that none of these girls are wearing natural styles,but thats not true.If you look on the cover of the book you can see that a girl is wearing her hair in braids.The reviewer also said that none of these girls are dark skinned. But almost all of these girls in the book are dark skinned.But anyway this is a great book.I myself am an african american teen and i think its great.It tells you just what to do to apply makeup correctly and just look beatiful.Every teenage girl should have this book.