5.0 out of 5 stars Can't put this one down
Published on July 25, 2009 by Adrian

2.0 out of 5 stars Comes up short
Readers of my reviews know there are two rules that are generally good signs that an autobiography is not going to be particularly interesting.

1. The subject only recently started his or her career, meaning there are plenty of more events coming and little perspective has been gained on what has happened already.

2. Space is filled up with comments...
Published 2 months ago by WDX2BB

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't put this one down, July 25, 2009
This review is from: Born to Play: My Life in the Game (Hardcover)
The story of the engine that could. I bought this book since I am a die-hard Red Sox fan and Pedroia follower, however this is the kind of stuff anyone would like hearing. Everyone said he was too small, too slow, too whatever, Dustin proves that hard work and determination will get you anything you put your heart and soul into. In my opinion I believe Dustin already had the best work ethic in baseball, this just makes me appreciate him that much more. Thanks so much Dustin for sharing your story.

5.0 out of 5 stars His life is accompanied by commentary from coaches, teammates and friends, October 18, 2009
This review is from: Born to Play: My Life in the Game (Hardcover)
BORN TO PLAY: MY LIFE IN THE GAME comes from baseball great Dustin Pedroia and recounts how he became Rookie of the Year in just two years of major-league play. His life is accompanied by commentary from coaches, teammates and friends and tells of a player who had a difficult journey to fame and success: any library catering to baseball fans will relish this powerful autobiography.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Story, January 8, 2013
By Shane 10/23/12
The book Dustin Pedroia:Born to Play is about the Boston Red Sox second basemen Dustin Pedroia and his life as a little boy growing up through high school and college and becoming a major league baseball star. This book tells so many different things about Dustin Pedroia you never thought that you'd find out in your life. It tells you the injuries that he had, the things he did to become a pro, and about the different paths that he took growing up to become one of the best in the MLB. Some things that I thought that I'd never find out about Dustin are that he broke his knee by playing football even though his football coach said that by playing football it wouldn't screw up his baseball career in anyway. Another thing was that he was a San Francisco Giants fan when he was a little kid and he knew barely anything about the Boston Red Sox.
This book one of the best books I've ever read. I say this because Dustin Pedroia is one of my favorite baseball players and to find out all of this information about him is something I've been trying to figure out for a while and this book gives me all of the information I could ever want. Good things about this book are that it tells you all sorts of cool information about him. It is written by Dustin so it's not someone's information that they got from some website or some random person, it's from him so you get everything that actually happened and the exact details that came from the person who experienced the actual event. Some bad things about the book are that it may carry on with a topic for a little longer than you might like it to,otherwise, I don't think that this book has a lot of bad things about it. Some exact details that happened to Dustin are that when he was little he had one of those 2 foot long bats and swung it in the house and that he started swinging it at his chickens and his parents gave away the chickens because they didn't want to take the bat from Dustin. An example of the story carrying on with a topic was that when he went to college it took a while to get back to talking about Dustin playing baseball again and stayed on the topic of him getting comfortable in his new college.
I gave this book 5 stars. I gave it this rating because I was really pleased with the way the book was written and all the information in it made me want to keep reading. Another biography that I read was a book about Derrick Rose, the all star point guard for the Chicago Bulls, and I liked the Dustin Pedroia book better. I liked it better because it gave more details about the way he got to the MLB and it talked a good amount of information about his childhood as well. With the Derrick Rose book it mainly talked about his childhood. So if you wanted to read a book about a professional's childhood, choose the Derrick Rose book, but if you wanted to read a book about a professional's way of getting to the pros and what kinds of roads that they took, choose the Dustin Pedroia book. In conclusion, I enjoyed reading this book, Dustin Pedroia:Born to Play. I would recommend this to anyone who likes to learn about baseball, to learn about Dustin Pedroia, or in general books about sports.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pedroia Power, July 31, 2012
As with most sports autobiographies, it's a good thing that Dustin Pedroia can hit a baseball because he'll never make it as a novelist. On the other hand, the writing closely follows the way you'd expect him to talk. The book is full of laser shots, and Pedroia is pumped to tell you all about them. That's a good thing. It would be flimsy if Pedroia became a modest guy in the book. If he's not telling you how great he is, it wouldn't be Pedroia. The book also has several guest writes talking about various things in Pedroia's life. People like Dave Magadan, Ben Cherington, and Kelli Pedroia add insights into Pedroia's life that enforce what Pedroia is saying. It changes the pace a bit as you're reading it. I liked the book a lot. I love stories of college teams and minor leagues. I love how all the future stars mix and match as they come up through the systems. What must it have been like to be on a college team with Dustin Pedroia and Ian Kinsler? The stories were genuine, and gave a lot of background on the Red Sox, and their second baseman. It was well worth picking it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pedroia is inspiring!, October 24, 2009
This review is from: Born to Play: My Life in the Game (Hardcover)
Pedroia is, in stature a small man for baseball, but wants more than anything to play ball all his life. He faces some unbelievable odds to get to the major leagues, and makes it. His courage and determination are inspiring!

The chapters are separated with short write ups by those noteworthy people who have watched him work and grow into a major league player. This really adds to the story as it gives another well known expert's impressions of Pedroia along the way.

I consider this a book well worth the read and a place on your bookshelf. It is very upbeat! Dedication and hard work are the positive themes throughout it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, October 16, 2010
M. Benoit "Hawkman41" (Fort Smith, AR United States) - See all my reviews
When I saw this book for just a few bucks I was a little apprehensive. But after reading the book I have to say it was a great read. I enjoyed the way the book flowed with the "interviews" from his wife, Tito Francona, Fred Lynn and others interspersed with stories from Pedro himself. The book was inspiring and funny at the same time. I can see this as a book that I re-read over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, November 17, 2012
This was an excellent book. It really shows why dustin is a great player for the Boston red sox organization

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, February 21, 2012
D. Bridges (Montgomery, AL) - See all my reviews
As a mom of a 10 year old baseball player who dreams of the big leagues I really appreciated the insight from someone who has done what it takes to get there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this as a gift, November 25, 2012
I bought this for someone else as a gift, so I did not read it myself, but the recipient certainly loved it (she is a huge Red Sox fan to begin with, anyway.) We both like to watch Pedroia play...we are late middle-aged folks, so she always refers to the younger players as "good little players..." :-)

2.0 out of 5 stars Comes up short, December 26, 2014
WDX2BB (New York State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Born to Play: My Life in the Game (Hardcover)

2. Space is filled up with comments by others.

When it comes to Dustin Pedroia's book, "Born to Play," we go check and check on that list.

That's not to say Pedroia isn't worthy of admiration among baseball fans. He's always been small of stature, but determined to be a top-flight ball player. Pedroia shows here that he's always worked hard, always had some talent, always had a chip on his shoulder for those who thought he couldn't make it to the next level.

That was true when Pedroia was playing baseball as a child outside out Sacramento with his older brothers. Then it was on to high school, where he was a star but didn't get drafted by the pros. Then he landed a scholarship at Arizona State, where he surprised everyone with an excellent career.

He was a second-round draft choice of the Boston Red Sox, and still had doubters that he was a major league. The rookie or the year award in 2007 (with a world championship) and a most valuable player trophy in 2008 shut those people up.

You can see how Pedroia has used the comments from others for motivation. Maybe that's why many baseball people think Pedroia is off the charts when it comes to intangibles.

He covers his life quickly enough here. Each chapter has an addition written by someone else, including former and present teammates and coaches. It seems like everyone has drawn the same conclusion -- Pedroia is like your pesky little brother who won't shut up, but you still love him for his attitude.

This book originally came out in 2009, no doubt to capitalize on the MVP season. That's why it filtered down to appearing in the dollar stores. Certainly, "Born to Play" is worth a dollar, or even a few dollars more. But, it would have been better from a literary standpoint if he had waited a few years. This effort is for Pedroia's biggest fans, and that's about it.

Born to Play: My Life in the Game
Born to Play: My Life in the Game by Dustin Pedroia (Hardcover - July 14, 2009)
Used & New from: $0.01