Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 99 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on June 9, 2011
I decided to download this album when it was on sale for $0.99. I really don't purchase this kind of music too much because I am mainly into rock music. However, I listen to the radio a lot and liked a few of her past singles (Just Dance, Bad Romance, Love Game). I liked the song "Judas" when I first heard it and bought the single. I decided to give the album a chance because hey it was only $0.99 so why not. But if it weren't for that sale I wouldn't have purchased this. I'm just a casual fan of some of her songs. "Judas" and "Born This Way" are good tracks. I also think "Edge of Glory" is one of her best and strongest songs. However, I can't get into this album. I listened to it a few times and there are no other tracks besides the three singles, "Marry The Night", and "Schiebe" that are really that good. "Schiebe" being my favorite with the thumping beats, cool vocals, and catchy chorus. For casual listeners to Gaga like myself I suggest you go with those 5 tracks. Other than that you are going to get an album where a lot of the songs run into one another and don't really stand out. It is much techno-y than her previous hits I can tell. Anyways, just wanted to write my honest opinion.
on May 24, 2011
I'm not generally a fan of pop, but when Lady Gaga hit the music scene a couple years ago, I was absolutely captivated. She had a way of delivering tracks that were powerful and catchy, while also being edgy and mature at the same time. I absolutely loved her music, even though it isn't the sort of music I normally listen to at all.

But with "Born This Way," pretty much everything I originally loved about her music was gone. When I first heard the titular single, my thoughts were, "Eh. The rest of the album might be better." The I heard "Judas," and while not quite as strong as some of her previous work, it at least captures the same style and feel and it actually is a pretty good track. So when I saw "Born This Way" on Amazon for $0.99, I jumped on it. It downloaded fine, no problems whatsoever, and I hit the "play" button...and I was completely let down.

It seems that in many tracks she is trying way to hard to send a positive message, generally along the lines of "Feel Good About Yourself!" and "Yeah, Girl Power!" often expressed in lyrics of comparable levels of artistry and subtlety (or lack thereof).

Furthermore, the songs sound as if she's trying to catch the 6-8 year old age bracket. The musical style on many tracks is the musical equivalent of the Simple English language setting on Wikipedia. It doesn't challenge the listener, and while technically well-produced, lacks the daring and maturity of her earlier work. It's almost like her producers told her, "Listen, that Bieber kid has the six year old market nailed down, why don't we try to get into that too."

I absolutely loved Gaga's earlier work, and I really wanted to like this album, but it was painful to listen to. Judas is a good track, and others are bearable to decent, which is why the review got two stars (although the horrendous "You and I" nearly dragged it down to one star on its own).

But the edge is gone, the artistry is gone, the daring is gone, and all that's left is what Thomas Pynchon would call Muzak.
44 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2011
She really changed her sound with this cd..it's much more "techno" than before and not nearly as good as her first two cd's. There are a couple of good songs (Born this way and Judas) but the rest is just so so.
on May 24, 2011
I loved Fame Monster. It had many great songs with hooks that sank deep on first listen. I listened to the cds for weeks on the way to/from work.

Born This Way, well its totally the opposite. The songs are just seriously weak compared to Gagas first album and if I never hear them again that is perfectly fine.

I am not a Gaga fanboy/girl or what she calls a little monster. So I feel I can give you an "unbiased" opinion of "Born This Way". Just an average joe who really enjoyed her first album and really was disappointed in the second.

That's my opionion. You may like it but again I state use the "preview all samples" button before you make a purchase.
on October 21, 2013
I liked about 3 songs on this cd. The good thing is that I didn't have to pay for it but the singles that were released on the radio were the peaks of this album for me. I'm a huge pop music lover, but this album just didn't really do it for me.
on May 23, 2011
First I would like to say that I enjoyed LG's last album. I'm not a huge fan, but her music made a regular rotation in my playlist.

Now to this album. Yes, excellent deal and it's cool of Amazon/LG to give us such a great deal.

HOWEVER...

...if you took 4 dance beats, 2 or 3 "sounds"/"styles and repeated them across 14 songs... :( :(

Well, you would have this album. I don't understand how anyone short of a constant attendee of RAVES and non-stop clubbing could care about this album.

It's the same thing, over, and over, and over. I listened through the entire album this evening, TWICE.

I'm not bashing Gaga, I don't hate Gaga....but she needs to look at changing the creative people (or her own direction if she did this (doubt it)) and come up with some interesting/catch music like on her previous efforts.

This really is a...honestly.....irritating album. There's nothing in it outside of a few lines that will add it to my play list in ANY way.

Oh Well.
VINE VOICEon June 6, 2011
Madonna redux but with less interesting music. I downloaded this for 99 cents and well, that's about how much it's worth in my music rotation. Gaga uses the term disenfranchised a lot. Right. She is a franchise. She needs to enjoy it and capitalize on it as best she can. If she continues this derivative, mediocre club music for the masses sound, she will fizzle a bit faster than Madonna and Brittany did.
on May 25, 2011
I loved Lady Gaga's "The Fame" album because the songs were so unique! This album is so "blah" to me. Seems like every song is the same tempo, all thump-thump-thump clun inspired beats that get really boring after the second song.... or actually even halfway through the first song.
on April 24, 2014
I purchased this digital album solely because it was on sale for .99 cents. I'm a pop music collector of hits and the single for Born This Way was hitting #1 on the charts so I made the purchase. The entire album just didn't do it at all for me, even tho I loved her debut with Just Dance being one of my favorite songs of the 2000s decade. And many others songs on that first album being extremely catchy. I don't think there is one single that I like off this Born This Way album. Definitely a disappointing followup.
on June 10, 2011
I've been a Gaga fan since she put out the Fame. I thought that the Fame was quite pop-ish and the songs were very catchy. When the Fame Monster came out, my likeness towards Gaga became true love. The Fame Monster was a pop album and so much more- very unique and she really showed off her musical talent. For the past year, I've been very excited for Born this Way to release and I was sure that it would be even better than the Fame Monster.

Boy, was I wrong. Born this Way has two good songs- 'Born this Way' and 'Judas.' That's it. 'The Edge of Glory' sounds like a song that Journey would have done 30 years ago. I hate that song. The worst song on the album is 'You and I.' It sounds like a song meant for Taylor Swift or some other pop country singer. It's very droning.

Also, not to offend anyone- but Gaga's constant referencing of Christianity, Jesus Christ, and God in this album is a little over the top. She sings about these things in almost every song on the album.

After I listened to the album for a while, all of the songs started to sound the same. There are so many fillers that don't contain any kind of musical genius that I thought for sure Lady Gaga had before I listened to this album. Born this Way just seems to be a rushed compilation of music. I feel as though any other pop star could have put this exact same album out and it would be acceptable. People such as Katy Perry or Britney Spears could put this crap out and I wouldn't think twice about it. But this is unacceptable work for Lady Gaga. I'm really dissapointed.