4.0 out of 5 stars Bosch 11224VSRK
I bought the 11224VSR to replace my old 11212VSR, which I have owned for about ten years. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the new 11224 is made in Germany, especially since these days so many power tool manufactures are shifting operations to Mexico, China and Taiwan. Even the free promotional SDS-Plus bit set that was included with the kit when I bought it is...
Published on March 11, 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Stucco and more
Bought this at the local Big Orange Retail Giant, cuz I needed it tonight. It chews up 35 yr old stucco very nicely, and much faster than a bricklayers hammer. Putting in new windows and eventually going to cut a weep screed opening across a 75 ft expanse so I wanted a tool that was fast enough and yet not too heavy for use on a ladder.
Published on April 16, 2008 by S. Haynie

5.0 out of 5 stars bosch rotary hammer, May 14, 2009
This review is from: Bosch 11224VSR 7/8-Inch SDS-Plus Bulldog Rotary Hammer (Tools & Home Improvement)
i work construction and have used bosch products for years.I bought this one for home use and it works great so far.Only tackled 2 minor projects so far using mainly 1/4" tapcons and 1/2" sds bit with concrete anchors. My purchase was a reconditioned tool for about $110.00 with amazon savings was a excellent value. Highly recommend this to any home owner

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tool!, February 16, 2004
John McQuitty (San Angelo, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
Great tool! I've used mine for drilling in concrete and wood - and it works superbly for that - but this weekend I used it to chip out some old floor tile and thinset. With a 1 1/2 inch chipping bit the old tile didn't stand a chance, and for taking out the thinset, it was particularly awsome. Key words here are 1) Gets the job done, 2) One tough tool, and 3) Very little vibration.
1) After a short learning curve, (Attack tile from the corners and where two tiles meet. Attack thinset at 90 degrees to the trowel grooves.) the tile and thinset basically flew off of there.
2) Tough tool. I ran the tool for about two hours straight before lunch and another two hours straight after lunch with only short breaks to clear debris. It never even whimpered, and was going as strong at the end as when I started. I noticed that it got a little warm, (So what did you expect?) and I kept checking it, but it never overheated. The Bulldog lives up to its name for toughness.
3) Very little vibration. Of course there is some. It is a hammer-chipper after all. However, for the record, the vibration is minimal - far less than my string trimmer, for example. After four hours working this thing, my hands and arms were never "numb." I was impressed. You can chip all day and not get beat up! The Bulldog is also a comfortable dog.
The ability to adjust the angle of the bit is a very positive feature. You can adjust it to what ever angle that is most effective or comfortable. The Bulldog is fairly light weight too. It won't wear you out just carrying it around, but it still packs a wallop.
As I mentioned, drilling with or without the hammer feature is awsome. You can set if for drill only, drill and hammer, or hammer only. This is one 5 star tool!
Furthermore, the Bulldog is very moderately priced. I learned long ago that cheap tools are no bargain - but good tools at a bargain price are! This is a good tool, and it doesn't cost that much either. By the way, I had another brand rotary hammer - about the same size - that comes dressed in yellow - sold it. This Bosch is leagues ahead of that other one.
Can it do everything - maybe not, but just about everything. I do have one of those big elephant-like rotary hammers for the REALLY BIG jobs, but 9 times out of 10, I reach for the Bosch Bulldog - and it gets the job done.
By the way - When using this tool or any other rotary hammer, wear safety glasses, a GOOD dust mask, ear muffs, and gloves. Don't skimp on any of those! I know there are some macho types out there that think that stuff is for wimps. Well listen, Bubba - You ain't bullet proof. The "wimps" will be out there making money while you are in the emergency room or getting fitted for hearing aids. Put on the safety gear! It's extremely important!
Good tool - quality tool. I like it. and I think you will too.
06/2004 - Quick edit - I like this tool so much that when the opportunity came along to acquire a used one, I bought it and now have two. Why? Just because it is a great tool, and I can have one in the truck and a back-up at home. JM

5.0 out of 5 stars sweet, March 5, 2013
Could have used this 40 years ago. It's not a jack hammer, but I see a useful future
for it. Paid a little more for 3 separate modes, but the hammer mode can take up tiles
and I'll know what else in a few months.
Nice tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Bosch quality, January 15, 2013
I have been upgrading my shop when I can justify buying a new tool. Bosch equipment has almost always been the brand of choice form me. This drill is great for my use. Get the SDS plus chuck so you can also use it with standard bits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drill!!, August 4, 2005
John P "Tool Geek" (East Brunswick, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
I really like the feel of this drill. It rugged yet light weight. So far I have about 30 hours of use on it and have had no issues. I would definitely recommend this

5.0 out of 5 stars Hammer drill, September 8, 2008
I have been using this hammer drill for over 6 years and it has never let me down. Has the attachment to use as a chisel, this works great for small jobs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool, July 3, 2012
I bought this to replace one I already had which was the same brand it works great and was a great price and I got it right away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool, November 14, 2012
recommend to any trade person.
it makes the job so so much easier
to do and works well in the concrete here

4.0 out of 5 stars Bulldog, February 14, 2013
Like the tool, but wish it came in a larger metal carrying case. There doesn't seem to be much room for a good assortment of bits to carry with the drill.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great light weight, June 30, 2012
I received this drill as a Father's day present I need to mount a board onto my foundation in the basement and to drill some holes in asphalt, I too was a bit disappointed that the drill is made in Mexico however I also wanted the drill at a low price and that is the trade off. The build quality seems fine and the drill was actually a bit lighter than I thought it would be the depth gauge is a bit of a problem as it assumes only right handed people will use the drill, I injured my right shoulder and trying to use it left handed just did not work out well with the depth gauge.

One thing to note all SDS+ bits are the same size so while regular drills are 1/4 3/8 1/2 3/4 1" etc all rotary hammer drills numbers 7/8, 1", 1 1/2" refer to the maximum size hole they can drill. Now there is nothing to stop you from using a 1" bit in a 7/8' hammer it just will not work as well and could burn out. Also the drill works by hammering the concrete so you want to use the shortest bit you can if you are drilling deep holes start with a shorter bit then change to the longer one, and clean out you holes.

The drill is not as noisy as I thought it would be, and it is fast I drilled a test 1/2 hole on my foundation quicker than a cordless drill could do a 1/2 hole on a 2x4!

The case has plenty of space for spare bits which I like.

One bit of advice usually you want to keep a bit cool so you may think that spraying water while you are drilling holes will make it better it does not. I had to drill some 1/2"x12" holes in asphalt to get rid of some standing water and it was a bitch even though the asphalt was only 6" thick the drill did not like all the water in the hole, a test hole in a dry spot was like butter but the wet hole was a pain.

I did pay quite a bit less than the Amazon price, but the drill is still great.

Bosch 11224VSR 7/8-Inch SDS-Plus Bulldog Rotary Hammer