on April 17, 2009
Color Name: NA
This sander is an excellent product. It's very quiet, vibration is to a minimum, easily connects to a vacuum hose, and the sandpaper can be quickly changed.

Which hose attachment to get:
Confusion exists with all the multitude of adapters to connect this Bosch sander to a vacuum hose. I want to clear this up here and now. To connect this sander to a ShopVac with the smaller 1 1/2" hose, buy these 2 items:
Bosch RS006 Hose Adapter for Various Sanders
Fein 921072K13 Step Adaptor
The Fein step adapter is made of rubber - not plastic. It's easy to cut where it will fit snugly on the Bosch RS006 adapter. (DO NOT BUY Bosch brand adapters other than the RS006!!) Make sure you TAKE YOUR TIME cutting the Fein step adapter. I left a little extra rubber on mine so I could use a hose clamp if needed to secure it to the Bosch RS006.

I rely heavily on customer reviews and hope mine was helpful to you. Feel free to leave a comment or question.

Cheers,
Jeff
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 11, 2003
Color Name: NA
Combination of hard pad and dust collection make this the best half sheet. I've used the Makita, Milwaukee, and Porter Cable and they can't match up for finish sanding. Good reliable product that sands flat and won't round at the edges/corners. I reecommend it atop the rest.
on September 15, 2010
Color Name: NAVerified Purchase
And although it is made in Switzerland, certain parts are poorly designed. I just payed Bosch over $30.00 to send me a new swing plate (aka base plate) and another tension clip, both of which snapped off on separate occassions. There is a little (and I mean little) tab which holds the tension clips in place while you're sanding -the tension clips hold the sandpaper in place. Each tab is a very small thin "bump" of aluminum on each side of the base plate, and they can snap off, as one of mine did. I didn't want to buy a new base plate so I had to bend the tension clip in and tuck it under the sander body in order to keep it from working loose during sanding. This put an extra strain on it and it finally broke. So I had to give in and order both parts. If the tabs were stronger and better designed this would not be an issue.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 18, 2007
Color Name: NAVerified Purchase
I own several Bosch routers (1716EVS's) and a 5" Random Orbit Sanders (3725DEVS), in my book they are the best in their class. I needed a better sheet sander to replace my Makita and wow did I pick a winner! Like all Bosch tools I own this one is smooth as butter and there is absolutely no vibration (so you won't get tired). This sander produces an excellent finish and the dust collection is top notch (I use a shop vac attachment).

Changing papers is real easy, the sander is easy to handle and you don't get tired from vibration or noise. This is a very solid tool. As is normal, you get what you pay for and there is no disappointment here in this sander's performance.... I'm really happy with my purchase.
on February 8, 2009
Color Name: NAVerified Purchase
Well, I was looking to buy a half sheet sander and I also own a lot of festool tools so my first options was to look at the RS2 festool version.
Great machine but expensive (340.00) so I tried to find another options.
I looked at different brands but knowing Bosch as one of the top quality, I decided to try.
I bought it from Amazon and went to sand. It is a pleasure, it is easy on your hands, low noise, you don't need hearing protection.
I ordered the adapter RS006 and I can use it with my festool CT22 with not modifications.
I tested this weekend the RS2 from festool and I didn't see any difference between the two. So I saved good money and got good quality.
I only need to see the longevity, I will comeback in one year to let you know, but I can tell you that you won't get wrong buying this tool.
on February 23, 2012
Color Name: NAVerified Purchase
I have a black & decker 1/4 sheet sander and hand sanding was basically just as fast so I was a bit skeptical getting this, but I found it for the right price so decided to give this one a try. There really is no comparison, not that I expected there to be. It's more comparable to the dewalt 3amp orbitals which I have 3 of, so that will be my point of reference and comparison.

The pad is rubber, not cheap foam like my black & decker. The pad also has dust intake.

The sanding sheet perforater it comes with is great, it lets you buy sheets of cheap sand paper and make your own instead of buying expensive Velcro orbital disks. So that puts it ahead of the dewalt orbital for that alone.

Orbitals tend to gouge wood, because they sand fastest when they are held at a slight angle on the edges. With the sheet sander you can just turn it on and let the weight of the tool give you a perfectly flat and sanded surface with minimal effort. Orbitals are better for contoured surfaces like a routed-bull-nose edge. This is also better at flush sanding than a belt sander in my opinion, belt sanders are too aggressive in most situations, unless you're sanding an oak floor or stair treads.

The tool is not vibration free but the vibration is very low, low enough to use it for hours at a time.

The bag is well made and captures most of the dust, but of course not all, no sander can do that if you're moving fast, and that's pretty much the point of a half sheet sander in my opinion.

Here's a little tip on sanding technique to get a really fine finish. Lets assume you're starting with really rough stock. First you use a power or hand planer. Then use a medium grit with this finish sander, like 120, then go to 180, then go to 220, and higher if desired, you can get up to 300 I think if you want your wood to shine without varnish, but I usually stop at 220. Anyway, stepping grit up gradually will give you a flawless finish. What leaves grooves is grit, even if you hand sand. Also going against the grain of the wood will accentuate grooves. Lower grit levels, less than 120 especially, make bigger grooves. And if you skip too many grit levels, you won't be able to get the grooves out. All sanders with orbital action will leave swirls if you don't step the grit up higher at the right pace. That's why a lot of people break down and pay top dollar for pre-finished surfaces, they don't like taking their time progressing through sand paper grits. Without a tool like this it's extremely time consuming.

As usual Bosch preforms great. And as far as I know, they're one of the only guys who make a 1/2 sheet sander anyway.

The tool is made in Switzerland, as are most of their tools. They have a few made in China. Their headquarters is in Germany.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 5, 2006
Color Name: NAVerified Purchase
Excellent high-quality sander. Used for over two years with no trouble at all. You will not be sorry if you get one.

Billy Baty
on February 28, 2008
Color Name: NAVerified Purchase
I've always liked half-sheet sanders because they are great for finish work on large flat surfaces, and this Bosch sander is outstanding. I've had it for a year now, and my observations are that the paper changes are easy, dust collection with the vacuum hose adapter is great, it's well-balanced, and it feels like it's going to last for a very long time. I'm very happy with my purchase.
on August 26, 2009
Color Name: NAVerified Purchase
I need to use a powered sander to sand flat a large area on my boat deck that has a very slight curve (long story, don't want to get into it). I was using a combination of a long sand board and a 6" random orbital sander (also from Bosch) to sand down the epoxy/fairing compound. The long sand board is very labor intensive, and I cannot rely on the 6" random orbital sander to make sure I can sand the area flat because it is relatively small for the area. This 1/2 sheet sander covers a lot more area than the 6" random orbital sander, and I have a higher confidence that the area will be flat when I sand it with this sander.

Now, I still need to use the long sanding board to make sure the overall area is flat. But I find myself use it less than before and this is a good thing because using that long sanding board is very labor intensive. Honestly the 6" random orbital sander probably can remove material faster than this sander. But as long as this is the powered tool does the work and not me, I am fine with that (I don't do this for a living anyway).

What I really like are: (1) 1/2 sheet is large and can cover a lot more area than a 6" sand disc. (2) It comes with a holes-template (hole-puncher) to punch holes on stored bought sandpaper in one pass. (2) I can use regular sandpapers from local store, no need to mail order sand discs (more convenient and probably cost less). (3) It filters out dusts very effectively, and I don't need to use my noisy shop-vac (I still wear face mask though). (4) I don't need to use that long sanding board as often as before. (5) It is not noisy.

I just like it!
on March 18, 2009
Color Name: NAVerified Purchase
Bosch has been the tool of choice for me for some time and this sander is no exception. It's very quite and the dust collector works very well. This will sand a lot of area fast. The shipping was fast and the sander is terrific. I couldn't be happier!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations