4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect
Published on March 15, 2000 by Toolpig

3.0 out of 5 stars Works great but not for long...
Published on December 30, 2000 by Mark J Crawford

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect, March 15, 2000
This review is from: Bosch 3107DVS 3.3 Amp 5-Inch Random Orbit Sander/Polisher with Dust Canister (Tools & Home Improvement)
This tool performs very well. It sands very quickly. Faster than my Dewalt and Porter Cable palm grip R/O sanders. The variable speed is very useful for sanding face frames on cabinets or other tricky spots. The dust collection works O.K. A shop vac helps a lot though. The only problem is that some times the pad comes unthreaded from the mechanism and flies off. Maybe some thread lock would help. I'm not alone with this problem. I saw others' comments posted on Bosch's chat room about this. Don't let that stop you from getting an otherwise good tool. Just periodically check the screw on the pad.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best sander with a glitch that can be fixed, October 1, 2003
The Bosch 3107DVS 5" won top honors in a major woodworking magazine, and well deserved. It is aggressive enough to remove a lot of material fast, yet gentle enough with a reduced speed for fine work as well, thanks to the variable speed. The dust collection is perfect if hook it up to a shop vac. I use a vac with a 2 1/2" diameter hose. It is larger than the intake port on the sander, and what that does is allow the vac to pick up that one percent of the dust that escapes around the edge of the sander. Even the expensive Fein setup does not get every drop of dust. The 8 holes in the base suck up most of it, but the dust generated at the edges escapes. The 2 1/2" diameter hose, attached to a regular size roll around shop vac, leaks real bad around the fitting, so it sucks way more air than the sander allows, and that even picks up that last little bit escaping into the air.
The vibration of this sander is next to nothing. I used a cheap vibrating sander for a while, and my hands started to throb. The Bosch 3107DVS you can use for an hour with no discomfort.
All in all, it is the best sander out there. I had bought the 6" version and absolutely loved it so much, that when one of these 5" models became available to me in a deal, I grabbed it. The advantage of the 5-inch is that the paper is available locally. If you are ever in a pinch, the 6-inch paper is tough to find. By the way, buy the Mirka paper for these here at Amazon. It is a deal. The local home center sells the Norton paper, which does not hold up like the Mirka. With the Mirka here you get twice as much paper, at half again as much price. So not only does it last longer, and give you a more even job, but the upfront price is better as well.
Now onto the glitch. The 3107DVS has a single screw holding the pad onto the base. That base is an oscillating cast piece with 4 indentations that accept the 4 prongs. The whole inside of the unit is well greased. Even the edge-rim that it rides on has grease on it. The problem is that the cast piece and the sanding pad are often (not always) covered with grease as well. So you have a wildly gyrating cast piece, well greased sometimes, a single screw is holding that on. They do install that screw with MEDIUM duty loctite from the factory. What I did was clean the grease off of the mating surface only with some alcohol, replaced the loctite on the screw, and added an INTERNAL tooth multi serrated lock washer to the holding nut. They sell them at Home Depot. Bring the nut with you and match it up. Bosch uses metric size bolts.
Home Depot has been making room for their newly acquired Rigid line of tools. They bought the factory. Consequently they put some of the existing line up for clearance, and this Bosch sander is one of those items.
The woodworking magazine that rated this sander the best, also gave the Porter Cable best value award. It is less money, not the same level as this Bosch, but does a nice job. If you go into spending more money, you can get the Bosch 6" which doesn't have any glitches, or the more expensive Porter Cable. Both of them are highly recommended.
So there you have it. A great sander with a glitch that can be fixed. After looking at it, you might even have something further that will prevent the pad from ever working its way loose. Once it does, then the ridges holding it in line, move beyond the indentations, and can create damage. So it is important to deal with the problem.
By the way these Bosch sanders have less vibration than the expensive Fein sanders. I love Fein equipment, I have the RT-1800 Fein router, which is best in class, and the Fein Multi-Master kit, and love it as well. But after using both sanders, I prefer these Bosch's for their lower vibration, and equally aggressive material removing capabilities.
So if you want the best for less, get the Bosch. The glitch is why I gave it 4 stars. Hope this helps.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works great but not for long..., December 30, 2000
Mark J Crawford (King's Park, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I have owned four of these sanders over the last two years. As they come out of the box, they work great except that the dust collection system is not very effective. But they do a great job- the quality of the finish, and the lack of swirl marks, and the extreme power when you want to remove stock in a hurry, make this my weapon of choice for sanding face frames. But the joy is short. The hook pads wear out quickly, the motor armatures break, the bearings seize up or get squeaky, and the clip for the dust bag needs to be taped to the handle to keep it from retracting. The included allen wrench will vibrate out of its holder and get lost. This doesn't bother me because Home Depot takes them back with no hassle. I just go get a new one about every six months.I am going to try the more expensive Bosch sander,though. It has more bearings and seems a little better made. I would recommend to a buyer that if they can settle for a little less power they should get a Porter Cable palm grip variable speed for about $85, and if they want more power, they should avoid this model, bite the bullet, and pay more for the more expensive Bosch model or the Porter Cable right angle random orbital sander.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loved it at first . . . but, March 6, 2002
Craig_C "crcranda" (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
When I first bought this sander I simply loved it. For the price it was a great piece of equipment. But then came the issue of service. The screws that hold the sanding base onto the unit have a tendency to come loose. If you do not keep these screws tight at all times, it tears up the base of the sander. In normal use, you don't realize the screws are loose until after you turn off the sander. I took the tool in for repairs and learned the design of the tool required complete replacement of the motor, an $... repair. I took the $... and bought the Porter Cable random orbit sander. It is more money but all in all a much better piece of equipment.

2.0 out of 5 stars WORKS GREAT, WHEN WORKING, December 15, 2003
G. Parker (Grand Island, Ne. United States) - See all my reviews
I have owned this sander for about 2 years. When it is working, it is a great sander, much better than others I own, but in the time I have owned it I have had to replace the pad 3 times, and all the bearings once. This sander is not being used commercially, but in a home shop. Yesterday the pad came off again which is what happens when thay wear out, and this time it stripped out the threads in the hole that holds it on. I am sure if I checked the bolt every time I change a disc it would help, but when I pay $100.00 for a tool, I would expect it to stay togeather better than this. I'am not repairing it again. I am buying another brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll Never Go Back to a Belt, January 16, 2004
If I'd had this tool when I finished my first oak floor I could have saved about $150 in rental fees and a number of scars on the floor itself. The sander I rented, a drum sander nearly as big as a lawn mower, was not very maneuverable. It had to move parallel to the grain of the wood. So when I found myself in a kitchen going back and forth a short distance between cabinets, it was almost impossible to reverse course without leaving a scar shaped like the mark a paint roller leaves if you just touch it to a surface.
In all the time I've used this random orbit sander it's never left a scar of any kind. The big drum couldn't come closer than a foot from the cabinets. This little unit even gets a couple inches under the toe kick. With a 60 grit paper it will take down an eighth inch difference between planks in a few seconds. Sure, you have to crouch down on one knee, but you avoid the risk of hernia and pulled muscles that you run when load the massive drum sander into your car.
The random orbit technology is an advance comparable to the ball point over the fountain pen, or the laser level over the line level. There may be other brands or models that are even better than this one, but I have no complaints. The motor is smooth and powerful, but comfortable to use for extended periods with one or two handles. And your hand doesn't vibrate for half an hour after you've stopped as it does with some palm or belt sanders. Another advantage over a belt sander is that it won't devour shirttails or shoelaces or, in the worst case scenario, long hair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice sander, some problems, April 22, 2004
Conrad B. Senior (Easton, CT United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this sander for refurbishing boats. It works great for stripping off paint and exposing fiberglass, and also for sanding off fairing material. It outperformed all my other sanders, by a huge factor. I was able to sand over 400 sq feet of hull in three days. With other sanders I'd need a crew of men and multiple sanders, and it still would take longer.
I use 60 grit "hook and loop" pad and I duct taped a vacuum cleaner to it. A powerful external vacuum cleaner will make dust negligable. On windy days I can sand without a facemask and only need eye protection.
The variable speed works ok, although I had trouble with it later which may be related to some internal probelms after I serviced it.
It is the best all around sander I've used and out performed palm sanders by a factor or 10:1. I can do ten times the work, with a better final finish.
However, I got less than a year of service out of it. The backing pad started to shake off. When I reattached it, it did not perform as well as previously. I'm unsure if the allen head scre4w should be tight or allowed to float slightly. If left slightly loose it tends to shake itself looser.
Also, I found that at times the power seemed to drop, perhaps due to bad contacts on my extension cords, perhaps low service voltage, or possibly something internal.
The internal dust seal was damaged, the first time the pad started to shake itself off, which increased the amount of dust that could not be collected. After the first time the pad started to shake off, I was unable to make it perform like new.
I tried changing extension cords. Now the power was gone from this unit. Although it sometimes picks up and performs like it did out of the box.
I gave this unit a lot of use, and wish I had another one, but I can't give it top marks because the problems I've encountered. I still rated it a 5 because even if it craps out, it is still worth the money. I wish the manual provided service information to maintain it.
I'm now planning on buy a competing 6" sander of similar design.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an astonishing powerful and reliable sander for less than $100, April 23, 2009
The is a true workhorse of a sander at a relative bargain price and has proven very durable. It taken about many years of regular use including prepping two San Francisco Victorians for paint to finally bring this sander to a halt and I have happily ordered another one. It has survived a few drops off ladders and an extraordinary amount of dust and debris. There a number of review praising this machine and I agree with them. I highly recommend this sander to anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars One screw and it's a Paper Weight., July 27, 2010
On all Bosch random orbital sanders there's a small screw that holds in the hook pad. They can vibrate out over time, or break off as the one on my Bosch did. The only reason this is a problem is that the screw is a low profile metric machine screw and impossible to find in the U.S.

For model 3283 DVS the part number is DIN 7984 M6 x 16-10.9

I like the sander, but one unavailable screw shouldn't turn a power tool into a paper weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Duty, Great Control, February 14, 2008
After using and abusing one of these at work for 3 years, I bought one for my self. The handles really give me the control I like. It can almost take the place of a belt sander in your tool collection.