Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on June 5, 2011
I purchased this drill at Lowe's. As of June 5th, 2011 They must have an exclusive because no one else stocks it and it is not even listed on the Bosch website (US) as I write this review.

Details not listed on the web: Max Torque: 600 in/lbs., Speed: 500/1700 rpm, Chuck: Rohm brand plastic ratcheting single sleeve (1/16-1/2" capacity), Accessories: Metal belt hook not shown in product photos (same as the impact driver belt hook). Case: Hard plastic (Not the L-Boxx). Made in Malaysia like most other Bosch cordless tools.

Of the four Bosch 18v lithium drills I own, this is my favorite design so far. It is very compact (7" long), well balanced, and powerful. It seems to weigh slightly more than the Bosch 36618-02 18-Volt 1/2-Inch Compact-Tough Litheon Drill/Driver with 2 Slim Batteries. When comparing the two, the DDS180 seems only slightly more powerful than the 36618. The DDS180 is faster in second gear, and seems to have more power. The 4-Pole motor has a higher pitched whine to it than the 36618, and runs slightly warmer when pushed hard. The new motor is an open frame design as opposed to the can type motor on the 36618. The cooling fan is very efficient and pushes a large amount of air through the vents.

As with other Bosch cordless drills, the electronic cell and motor protection shut the drill off when/if the bit jams or the drill begins to overheat. This has saved my wrist numerous times when turning large auger/self feed bits. It will easily turn a 1-1/4" Irwin Speedbore, and even a 2-1/8" forstner bit.

I have come to like, even slightly prefer the grip angle of the 36618 as with the other larger Bosch 18v drills, but the angle of the DDS180 is just as comfortable and comparable to the Bosch 12v drill/drivers. I'm glad they added the belt hook, but you will have to remove it if you want to store the drill in the included case. The belt hook will not allow the case to close.

All in all, this is a great purchase. This drill is a great alternative to the longer 36618 (I'm keeping both), and a great compact substitute for the larger Bosch 37618-01 18-Volt 1/2-Inch Brute Tough Litheon Drill/Driver with 2-Fat Batteries if you can do without the side handle.

I would highly recommend the DDS180 as well as the 36618 if you are looking for a powerful compact cordless drill/driver. A hammer drill version is also available at Lowe's which comes with Fat pack batteries for $269, but it does not have a side handle like the larger version.

Update 06/10/11: CPO and Amazon are stocking this drill now. CPO carries the sets which include the new 1.5 and 3.0ah batteries. The newer batteries are called "HC" High Capacity batteries.
1414 comments|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2011
Bosch DDS180-02 18-Volt Compact Tough Drill Driver with 2 1.3Ah Batteries is the real deal. Researched long and hard before making a decision and was glad I ended up with the Bosch. It is extremely rugged and well built and fits the hand nicely and does not fatigue the hands under heavy constant use. The lithium ion batteries are a huge improvement over the old Ni Cad one that I was formerly using. They last longer and charge faster and are smaller and lighter. I highly recomend this drill.
on May 28, 2012
I had two cordless DW drills that did a decent job, but were so heavy to use. I dropped one and decided to get another one. I did a lot of research and the prices for cordless drills was all over the place. It made me wonder what the main differance was between them. After looking at performance instead of price. I discovered that the Bosch DDS180 had the most in ft lbs (over 600) of torgue of anything on the market. So the fact that this Bosch came with two 18V Lithium-Ion batteries, fast charger and hard storage case sold me. This drill is awsom. It will drive screws like nothing you have ever used and the battery doesn't seem to go down. You can't go wrong buying this drill.
And the best price I found on the net was at Amazon. When checking prices make sure you are comparing prices for the drill, 2 batteries, and hard case. Jim Sanderson, Erie PA
on December 31, 2011
Great drill. Unfortunately, I missed that Amazon is selling the newer version, the DDS181 for less. The 181 comes with better batteries and, as of now, is 20 dollars cheaper. Check it out before you buy this one!
on December 26, 2011
The Bosch DDS180-02 arrived as stated; on time and ready to use. It was put to test quickly as we were
constructing a deck. It was remarkable in handling and in amount of time that the battery worked. The weight of the driver
was light but tough as we worked with it for several days. I am highly pleased and would recommend this tool highly.
Dennis Griffis
on September 5, 2011
Have not had long, but so far this thing is a jewel as far as tools go. For the power, it's lightweight and very well balanced. The reason I got this instead of a Dewalt was because this is so evenly balanced in your hand. The Dewalt was very front heavy. This one has great power and torque. The battery life seems long so far, and I love that it comes with 2 batteries so you can just swap out. The slimline battery saves a ton on weight and bulk. Granted, I'm coming off of having a BD cheapo drill for the last 10 years, but I am thoroughly impressed with this drill. I will not be able to go back to a lesser drill.
on January 14, 2012
The Bosch DDS180-02 18volt lithium ion drill is great. After years of nickel cad battery drills losing charge while stored, it's nice to pick this one up multiple times during the first month for small projects and have it ready to go. Comfortable to use, powerful, light works great and charge holds. Still using first battery charged 30 days ago. Granted I haven't built a deck yet but it is ready when I need it. Very happy.
on December 28, 2011
If you need a powerhouse drill as a handyman, this is the one. It's compact (with it's short barrel) to get into tight spaces and will loosen most any bolt when in full torque. I am 64, have had a lot of drills, and this is what I have been looking for. Whatever the project, the Bosch is there.
on January 2, 2012
The drill has a ton of power and is actually very light. It seems fairly rugged since I dropped it a couple times and it still works. The light on the drill is useless because you have to pull the trigger to get the light to turn on.

My only real complaint is the batteries. The batteries begin to lose power fairly quickly but they charge very fast. When using it under heavy load, the small batteries last about 20 minutes. (I was using it to drill through 1/4" steel) With two batteries, I am usually able to rotate them between the charger and the drill since they charge faster than they die.

The drill also tends to get hot under the heavy conditions, but so far I haven't had any problems.

*Update: Had problems with the bit actually wobbling slightly in the chuck. (I appologize if I mix up terms) Had continued to get worse so I took it to the nearest ACE Hardware and they replaced it with a new one without any difficulties. The new one works much better, but getting the bit in straight is still a pain in the butt.
on October 12, 2011
Have used the drill for a month its awesome!!
Gobs of torque !!Plenty!
When do I need to recharge?? Keeps on going and going and going!
Well made ,,the chuck is all metal strong ,,good clutch, yet- weight is balanced !!
Can screw bolts in --slowly- with --torque!Hooray!!
Would I buy this again ?? So fast -- you 'd get pneumonia from the breeze!!
Just simply super!reeks of quality!!
This is a best buy for real!!
OH!!Finally --had to recharge -took 20 minutes,, !
Is this for real? Yup!It is! I will keep this forever. And ever!!
Can you tell I am happy ? hee hee .!!
a great buy!Thanks Amazon!