Bosch MX25EK-33 120-Volt 33-Piece Oscillating Tool Kit
Color Name: NAChange
Price:$169.17 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 21, 2011
Color Name: NAVerified Purchase
When my last multi-fx oscillating tool gave up the ghost, i thought of ordering a Fein. However, as near as I could tell from the online reviews, the Bosch was nearly as good @ half the price. I'm very satisfied with this Bosch (as I am with my other Bosch tools). There aren't as many attachments available as the Fein, but those that are available seem to work fine. Bosch has also attempted to standardize the blade design with their OIS 12-pin system, and a few major tool developers (e.g., Milwaukee, Dremel) are already on board, so i predict that most mfgrs will be producing Bosch-compatible, OIS attachments soon. b.t.w., there are several OIS 3rd-party mfgrs (e.g., multitoolblade.com; imperialblades.com) that have a wide selection of blades built to conform with Bosch's OIS standard. The ones I have work very well. (some of the better 3rd-party blades seem better to me than the Bosch blades).

Two things to note: First, the few Fein attachments that i have work with Bosch, but not the other way around. Second, the Bosch uses the old-school hex-wrench approach to blade attachment, which may be important consideration in a production environment. (Like the Fein, P-C has a quick-release system in their new MFOT released in 2011, but the blade selection was minimal when i looked into it. The one minor complaint i have with this Bosch is that when you're cutting sheet goods where you run the multitool roughly parallel with the stock, the frequent bumps and rubs unscrew the blade bolt. Minor pain. I would much rather have had this with a quick-release blade system. If you're considering the Fein, there are a lot of Fein/Bosch comparisons and reviews on the Internet. I'm completely satisfied with the Bosch. b.t.w., the plastic box it comes in is well-designed and useful, which really surprised me). If it had quick-release, this tool would be perfect.

update: i'm rapidly becoming a fan of Imperial and Oshlun blades. I haven't had a bad one yet in remodeling - hardwood, softwood, ABS, PVC, drywall, trim, particle board, nails & screws are all cut easily *if* you use the right blades. Imperial has a wider selection of OIS-12 compatible blades than Oshlun, but both perform well - at least as well for me as the Bosch OEM - and Imperial and Oshlun are less expensive (Oshlun seems to be a bit less money than Imperial, f.y.i.). You might consider this option. Both are available on Amazon. (I've also used Versa, but have found they don't hold up as well for me as Imperial and Oshlun or Bosch for that matter.)

update2: I've used this Bosch on several large remodeling projects so far. The more I use it the more I like it!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 26, 2011
Color Name: NAVerified Purchase
I'm really pleased with the operation of this tool.
It is true that the blades don't last a long time, however when you take into account the difficult job the blade is performing you realize what a time saver the tool is.

Whether it is better or worse than the Fein Multimaster is debatable. The Fein upper models do have a quick blade change mechanism. If you use the tool every day in a production environment this could be beneficial, however most people only use a tool like this occasionally so blade changes don't really matter that much.

The plastic storage box is adequate in size for the tool and a large assortment of extra blades. Would I prefer a metal case? as a matter of fact I would if it were available.

For my money the Bosch is a better value and excellent quality.
Color Name: NAVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
To address the question marks that are in the tool's description as technical details: The accessory holder is plastic. The tool itself is 11" long. The case that holds the tool is 15"x14"x4" and is hard plastic. The tool plugs in and you can adjust the oscillating speed from 8000 to 20000 OPM.

You can see the attachments in the item's description. You also get an adapter that allows you to use competitor's oscillating attachments.

The tool is used to cut trim and cut out electrical outlet holes in drywall. It's specialty is working close to edges, in tight spaces and for flush cutting. It also works great as a scraper.

My initial impression is that the tool is heavy duty and I would say close to contractor grade but still has too much plastic to officially be contractor grade. Plastic in the tool and the case. Having said that, it does seem durable and made well. I just tried a Milwaukee saw and that's made from the same materials also.

I've had the tool for a few weeks. I've cut wood, vinyl rain gutter, aluminum, and used the scrapper for shower caulk. The tool has worked great every time. It is very easy to use. I use power tools off and on in the weekend warrior arts and crafts manner and I find this saw very comfortable and safe.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon May 18, 2011
Color Name: NAVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a very versatile tool. In fact, it's the kind of tool that you don't realize you need until you actually use it and experience the versatility. It can do flush cutting, sanding in corners of boxes and drawers, grout removal, paint removal, scraping and smoothing, plunge cutting, and much, much more in wood, plastic, and metals.

A good array of accessories is included with the tool, and additions/replacements are widely available at pretty reasonable cost. Everything fits into a nice, fairly compact case. The instructions are complete and clear.

This is a Bosch tool, and I think this tool's quality measures up to the Bosch router, circular saw, and jig saw that I own. It's very comfortable to hold, and it has a hard-to-define solid feel to it. I think it will last a very long time. A couple of reviewers criticize the amount of plastic it contains. It's important to realize that this is tough, high-impact plastic; take a look at almost all tools, and you'll see the same in them. The "plastic" keeps them lighter and less costly than all-metal tools would be.

One excellent feature of this tool--and other Bosch tools, too--is its "soft start" capability. When you push the switch, the tool doesn't just jolt into maximum speed operation. Rather, it accelerates moderately up to the speed you want. This might sound like a small thing, but it's really very useful, because it makes the tool easier to control. It's probably makes using it safer, too, because it reduces the sudden torquing that can almost twist a power tool out of your hand when it starts up.

I've never owned one of these oscillating tools before, but I can see that I'll be using it a lot. I keep thinking of things to do with it, things that would be very difficult or even impossible without it. This, coupled with its apparent quality construction, makes it a relative bargain. It's not exactly cheap, but I think you'll get your money's worth out of it.

I really like this tool, and I recommend it most highly.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Color Name: NAVerified Purchase
Originally I purchase the Dremel oscillating tool - it is nice and light weight but didn't have the power for cutting the copper pipe I needed. The Bosch is a larger, more powerful tool and cut the same pipe with relative ease. It seems very well built and is in a different class from the Dremel - heavier etc. - if you are a hobbyist the Dremel may be a better choice - otherwise the Bosch is the way to go.
on September 21, 2011
Color Name: NAVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Before I got my hands on this oscillating multi-tool, I always assumed these things were just glorified detail sanders. Sure, you could strap a harsher pad on a sander and call it a grinder, I thought, but what's the big deal with these things.

That's before I slapped on one of the included plunge-cut blades and pushed it, like a hot knife goes into butter, into a pine 2x4. Clearly, this thing is magic - how can a blade go straight into wood like that - how does the dust get out of the kerf?

Now that I have one, I'm never going without one. In addition to sanding, grinding, plunge-cutting this tool can scrape and trim (with the corresponding attachments that are included in the generous tool box). The speed is smoothly adjustable, from a satisfying slow hum to a piercing shriek that will give the lumber in your garage nightmares for weeks. The soft start ramps up the oscillation smoothly, even at the highest setting, so the tool never feels wild in your hands.

One thing that surprised me was the heft and size of the device. From the pictures, it may not be immediately clear, but you'd be hard pressed to use this thing accurately with one hand. It's a generously-sized piece of kit.
on July 25, 2011
Color Name: NAVerified Purchase
I recently decided to remodel my kitchen. To save some money I decided to do a fair amount of the work myself. I'm pretty well equipped in the tool department, but after seeing some demonstrations of oscillating multi-tools, I decided this was a useful addition to my toolbox. Boy was I ever right! I used this tool probably more than all the others combined! Very easy to handle and very powerful as well. I used it to cut the pipe under the sink shorter, make a perfectly rectangular hole under a cabinet for the vent, trim the last 1/16 of an inch under a cabinet to fit a full piece of tile (try that with any other tool!), open the back of a cabinet without touching the wall 1/4 of an inch behind it. Also used it to scrape up the old felt backing that stayed stuck to the subfloor when removing the original vinyl flooring, I even trimmed some screws that were too long for the cabinet handles. I could go on; but I digress, the Bosch handled every task I put it through with ease. It's so easy to handle and control, I was amazed at how easily it was able to do tasks that would have been incredibly difficult otherwise or require some expensive custom tool. The only negative I could find about this particular model was that I was not able to find replacement attachments at the local hardware store, though I realized somewhat after-the-fact that there is an included adapted that allows other attachments to be connected to the Bosch - its just not clear as to what competing bits can be used. Still, it came with a wide assortments of attachments, and I used nearly all of them at one time or another over the remodel. I generally buy Bosch tools because, unlike some of the budget brands, they never lose power and are incredibly durable. I'd like to believe this multi-tool will perform the same way. I'm so happy about this purchase, my wife's been teasing me because I've been telling everyone I know about how cool it's been to use. Highly recommended.
on January 18, 2012
Color Name: NAVerified Purchase
Im a tile contractor, but I do a lot of other construction too. Great tool for your arsenal. Pretty much a must have. Ive only owned it for a month or so, but have used it on two jobs so far. Great for doorway undercuts. Making notches in 2x4s to fit around plumbing pipes and so on. Bosch is the best. And the hard case is better, because it wont get wet in the back of your truck or on the job if its in the case, and the case stacks better, and has the room for more attachments and such. They make solid long lasting tools. Ive seen a Harbor Freight one of these tools, that my buddy bought for $50 some dollars, and its loud, and it sounds like its going to come apart when he cuts into something. Stay with the major tool brands and you will be happy. I own all different kinds of tools, from all major tool makers. Bosch is probably the best, guess that's why I own more Bosch tools than the others....
Color Name: NAVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I first received the Bosch MX25EK-33 I didn't have any immediate projects to use it on. Little by little I found things around the house that other tools just didn't seem to be adequate for and the more I have used it, the more I'm falling in love with it.

The first "impossible" task was to remove a bolt that fastens the toilet tank to the bowl. It had corroded so bad it seemed there was no way to loosen it. Because of the shape of the bottom of the tank I couldn't get a hack saw in the right position to saw it off. Then I thought of the Bosch tool. Using the blade designed for metal I was easily able to cut the bolt off in just a couple of minutes.

The next task was a Pergo floor that the installers laid about 2" too far into the adjacent room. The only way I could think of trimming it back was to remove about six of the panels and trim them with a Skil saw, a job that I was not looking forward to. Using the Bosch I was able to cut a clean line with the panels still in place. The entire job took less than five minutes.

Another example is I needed to trim the baseboard back so I could place a tight fitting bookcase into a small alcove. In two minutes using the Bosch I was able to trim the baseboard without removing it.

Now I can't stop thinking of unique ways to use the Bosch tool. So, what about the tool itself?

Quality of construction is first rate. It is well-balanced and just the right size to hold securely. Although some may prefer a "quick mount" to attach the accessories, I far prefer the hex bolt that Bosch uses. The accessories fit snugly and once bolted in I have complete confidence that they will not work loose in use. They can be mounted at a variety of angles to suit the job, for example it was helpful to mount the blade at right angles when trimming the Pergo.

The accessories themselves are high quality and it appears they will give many years of service. A nice touch is that most are labeled with their intended application ... the wood saw and the metal saw would be difficult to differentiate otherwise.

The case for both the tool and the accessories is rugged and well designed, making the experience of using the tool that much more pleasant.

I know there are cheaper brands of similar tools and I can't say how they compare since I haven't owned them, but I think once I realized how versatile this type of tool is I believe the price is reasonable to get one of this high quality. I think you will use it more than you expect.

FOUR MONTHS LATER:

I still find uses for this tool that I can't imagine any other tool doing as well. Today it was installing a weather cover for an outdoor electrical outlet. Several pieces of trim needed to be cut back by less than 1/4 inch. This would have been a difficult task using just about any other tool but this device let me make a few precision cuts to fit the cover perfectly. To be clear, this is a highly specialized tool and while it is not an absolute "must have" in the toolbox, I honestly feel that once you own one you will find uses for it that you never thought possible.
Bosch MX25EK-33

It's hard to beat Bosch! This tool is no exception. Is there anything it doesn't do?! The instructions are clear and so easy to understand that a novice like me can follow them. I think it would be a good idea to copy those instructions. Mine are already getting mangled. These instructions are more detailed than for most products, and worth reading. They are printed on cheap paper, which is why I recommend making a copy of them.

This is my initial review of this product. I will come back to update after I have more experience to report on with it. So far I am very pleased with the quality of this tool and the variety of its uses. It feels good and solid as I held it to get a good feel for the weight and balance, etc., very comfortable.

In general, before I talk about the specific jobs, the Bosch Multi-X Oscillating Tool is intended for dry sanding of surfaces, corners, edges, for scraping, for sawing soft metals, wood and plastic components, and for grout removal. The appropriate tools are included. It does flush cutting, plunge cutting, special cuts, for woodworking, sanding, grinding and scraping. The operating instructions warn not to cover the air vents with your hand, because blocking the air vents could cause the motor to overheat. It is also recommended to practice on scrap material first, which is obviously a very good idea!

It is equipped with electronic feedback that provides what they call a "soft start", to reduce stresses that occur from a high torque start an to help keep the speed you select virtually constant between no-load and load conditions. There is a variable speed dial which may be controlled during operation, to any one of six positions.

High oscillating motion of 8,000-20,000/mn (OPM) according to the user manual. There is a speed chart to guide in selecting the speed settings for sanding sheets for wood or for paint, using the 3/8" HCS wood blade-plunge cut blade or the ¾", the ¾" BiM Wood/Metal Blade-plunge cut blade, 3-1/2" saw blade, grout removal blade-1/8" or 1/16", the rigid scraper blade or the flexible scraper blade. The chart helps you choose the correct accessory and the optimum speed very easily.

The instructions give good guidance about the use of each accessory. For example, scrapers are suitable for removing old coats of varnish or adhesives, removing bonded carpeting, e.g. on stairs/steps, etc. Rigid scrapers are for large areas and harder materials such as vinyl flooring, carpeting and tile adhesives. Instructions say to use petroleum jelly or silicone grease to reduce gumming up. Also, the carpet/vinyl flooring removes easier if it is scored first so the scraper blade can move underneath the flooring material. The flexible scrapers are used for hard-to-reach areas and softer materials such as caulk. There are detailed instructions that are easy to read about removing caulk from a delicate surface such as a bath tub or tile back splash, using rubbing alcohol to clean the surface after the caulk and/or adhesive is removed.

It comes in a very handy carrying case with accessory box. I really like the size and shape of the case. It is slim, which makes it easy to carry and/or store. The accessory box fits easily into the case, keeping all the accessories together. There is a variable-speed dial so you can match the speed to what you need to your task. You change accessories and position them using an Allen wrench. It has a Ball-Joint cord swivel to make it positioning easier.

This tool is going to get a lot of use.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations