5.0 out of 5 stars PR10 critique
I am a professional cabinet maker. I bought this unit to complement my other Bosch router so that I do not have to change bits. This is a friendly and ergonomic tool. Very nice start up feature. The heighth adjustment did need to be tightened to eliminate movement during use and maintain accuracy. Excellent tool for the price!
Published on February 26, 2006 by Edward C. Bridgeman

Published on November 22, 2010 by J. Young

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars PR10 critique, February 26, 2006
This review is from: Bosch PR10E Colt Single-Speed Palm-Grip Router (Tools & Home Improvement)

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have, February 1, 2009
Gauda (CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I've been woodworking a while, but just now got a trim router (well, a month ago). This thing is very light and easy to handle, and perfect for easing edges or routing hinge mortises. The depth adjustment is two fold. The base can be unlocked and moved up and down for quick or non precision depths of cut, or the thumb wheel can be used for much finer adjustment in the locked position. This system is actually quite nice. Balance and ergonomics are nice too, though since this tool has a metal motor casing it will get rather warm (or even hot) after a couple minutes of use. Bit changes are easy with the shaft lock and wrench. Noise is not unbearable, but I still make sure to wear ear muffs. The soft start feature is really appreciated, even though this little thing doesn't have the torque of a 3.25HP machine. A couple points to note are as follows: I feel the RPM is too high at 35,000. If you aren't careful, this can easily burn your workpiece or bit - and the faster the motor spins, the shorter its life and that of the bit. The other point is that this is not a "real" router. I made a few cuts in Baltic birch plywood with a 1/2" straight bit in three passes to a final depth of 1/4" and could feel and hear the motor start to load. I felt that I was being reasonable with the cut depths and feed rates, but still the motor was loading. A tiny chamfer or round over are nothing for this machine, but apparently cuts like the ones I made can tax the motor, despite the claim of "1HP". While not without faults, I give this five stars for all the rest of its excellent qualities and considering that I paid only 70 for it. Made in Malaysia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big On Power-Small in Size, January 9, 2007
Great little palm router! I use the Colt for my cabinet door and drawer edging and other little one-handed operations. Plenty of power and easy bit changes. I have other Bosch products and they are all well made and reliable, built to last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Turned out to one of favorite tools., January 4, 2007
I did like this router when I received it and after the first use. It was solid, stable and easy to adjust. Also seems to be very powerful. During the next used it it simply stopped dead. (I was rounding over a pine table top) Since I purchased on line, returning for replacement was too expensive. I contacted Bosch and they sent me to a repair center in my town. Its been there for almost two weeks. Waiting for a call. I understand that stuff happens even to the best of items, so I will wait for a call.

UPDATE. Once I got everything fixed, the tool turned out to be exceptional. One of my favorite go to tools in the shop. Seems more powerful than a standard router.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed to do the job, February 24, 2007
This compact router is great! It is a 1 hp so it has enough power to route corian edges smoothly & to use to do cutouts in plywood. It fit just right in your hand and is easy to handle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed after 30 seconds. "Repaired" unit also failed. Used 10 minues in 2 years. Hunk of plastic., November 22, 2010
I received this router as a gift for Christmas 2009. Later that week I used it for 30 seconds and it abruptly stopped working. Since my wife bought it on Amazon we decided to call Bosch and talk to them instead of returning it. Bosch told us they would fix it and told us to not return it to the seller (Amazon). I took it to the local, Bosch recommended repair center for the warranty work and dropped it off. After waiting five weeks, I called and was told it would be another week. I kept pestering them and they eventually fixed it. When I asked what was wrong, I was told it was the "Main board". Huh? Didn't know power tools had motherboards (or "main boards"), but okay.

I brought it home, fired it up and let it run for a few minutes and it seemed to work. Then the weather turned hot and I didn't work in my shop for several months.

Yesterday I went out to cut some laminate using the repaired router. It worked for about ten minutes, then abruptly quit again.

I now have a two year old Bosch router with a little over ten minutes of use on it that is a useless hunk of Bosch-colored plastic.

I realize that some products have issues, and I understand that stuff happens, but that doesn't stop the fact that I'm still out of luck. Worse yet, it's my wonderful wife who wasted her money, which makes me even more mad. I mean, it's one thing to feel taken advantage of when it's your own money, but when your spouse gets ripped off because of a bad tool purchase, then a guy feels angry AND helpless.

I hear a lot of good things about this little router, but in my experience it wasn't worth the money, time, or heartache.

I've never written an Amazon review before, and hate for my first one to be so negative, but I'm only reporting what I experienced. Here's hoping Bosch fixes the issues. I know when it comes time to buy a new tool I'll have this negative experience coloring my perception of Bosch.

2.0 out of 5 stars Close but..., November 1, 2009
I bought this router when the nice old Porter Cable 310 became hard to find. It looks like a good design, simple and rugged, but the tool I purchased refurbished from Bosch CPO had a critical flaw. The spindle was not square to the base and as a result round-over bits would cut differently depending on which side of the router you hold against the work piece. I asked Bosch to send me another but they would not and told me to have it serviced locally. I explained the problem to the local authorized repair facility and he did his best to correct it, but even after replacing several parts, he could not correct the problem.
Bosch may have since figured this problem out, but if you buy this tool, check the spindle squareness (with the base in the lock position)first thing. If it is not perfect, RETURN IT and try again with a different one. Good luck.

1.0 out of 5 stars Serious flaw with this, March 8, 2013
Digelectric (Moss Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
As another reviewer noted, this unit has a really big flaw... the spindle is not square to the base. Yikes!! I thought I had a defective one, but purchased a second one, only to have the same issue. It's not off by a lot, but enough that I can't do joinery between boards that I've tried to true up with it. Since that's really all I wanted it for, I'm pretty irritated and wanted to leave a review so other potential buyers will know what to expect. Maybe the amount that it's off isn't important to everyone... if that's the case, this is otherwise a cool little router that I highly recommend. But if you want to do any precision work, get something else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little router .....but......., November 24, 2009
I was given this router as a gift from my husband. I love it except for the following: I have fairly severe arthritis in my hands and it's nearly impossible for me to try to hold in the button while holding the router and tightening the collet with the wrench. For those of us with arthritis or limited strength in our hands, using 2 wrenches to tighten the collet is so much easier. I wish Bosch would rethink their design.

Update 2/6/2010. I wrote Bosch about my problems tightening the collet. Lo and behold--they sent me a little wrench to use with the other wrench. I can now easily tighten the collet using both wrenches! Too bad they don't include both wrenches in the original box, but I'm just happy that I can use this router with no problems. Thanks, Bosch!

3.0 out of 5 stars Palm Router, June 16, 2009
J. Schell "Coldshot" (Flower Mound, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Great size, with plenty of apparent power. The on/off switch is a little cumbersome in its position, and there is no soft start feature, so make sure you've got hold of this little monster at start-up. My biggest complaint is that in a sustained routing condition the aluminum body gets very hot and uncomfortable to hold onto. If Bosch could/would add some insulating grip pads to the housing this would be an excellent tool. If I was in the market for this type/size router again, I would not buy this one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›