5.0 out of 5 stars Professional Quality in a Small Package
When rumor of this tool first surfaced, I cornered my Fastenal gal who introduced me to the Bosch rep. I have been able to use the PS30-2A on the Job for several months and it is every bit as reliable and tough as my 36V Bosch Hammer Drill.

Published on December 3, 2008 by Ryk

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Nearly as Nice as Expected
I have the Bosch PS40-2a 12v Impact Driver, and think it is absolutely the best tool I've ever purchased. That thing rocks in every way. Its power, balance, weight, and run time all combine to make a truly useful tool that I've needed for years before I bought it.

Published on March 15, 2009 by mix whit

5.0 out of 5 stars Professional Quality in a Small Package, December 3, 2008
Ryk "Tool Geek" (Amelia Island, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch PS30-2A 12-Volt Max 3/8-Inch Drill Driver (Tools & Home Improvement)

One of my biggest gripes about the PS20 was the slip chuck and having to use 1/4" bits to drill. Even though it was my favorite tool in the bucket, the PS30 has out shined it in every way. The 3/8" chuck is perfect for all those small / medium drill jobs and will run down small finishing screws into cabinetry flush every time with it's adj clutch. The 2 speeds are great for fine and not so fine applications. In fact we find that we use it for larger jobs when we probably would use the 36V.

The number of times guys on the crew said "toss me that little Bosch" and it not making the connection has proven it toughness. The PS30 has that tough feel to it. You know that Recip saw or grinder that gets tossed into the back of the truck year after year and always works when you pull the trigger. This tool feels the same way. With 2 batteries and a true 30 min charger we have never run out of power in a two day span.

The only problem I have is making sure it is in the bucket in the morning as it seems to make it's way into the house by itself more and more often for those little "Do it Herself" jobs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good tool is a joy to use, November 25, 2008
J. B Kraft "lonestargazer" (Palestine, TX United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This thing is light weight and powerful. You can use in awkward postions and the weight does not tire you out. It has a great form-fit for the hand -- mine isn't small or huge, and it's comfortable. The batteries do fully charge in 30 minutes, making them easy to rotate and get the job done. My wife loves it because even with her smaller hands, it's easy for her to use around the house.

Torque selection and the keyless chuck operate smoothly and clearly indicate the easily adjustable settings. Finally, with a little practice the trigger is so responsive that you maintain real control over drill speed and avoid stripping screws or spintering wood. The LED light is bright enough to make quick work in less than optimal light conditions.

If there are any flaws in the design or operation of this drill, I haven't found them. It's a great tool.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Nearly as Nice as Expected, March 15, 2009
mix whit (Urbana, IL United States) - See all my reviews

It was with that in mind that I decided to try the PS30-2a drill, even though there was very little out there (or here) in terms of reviews. I wanted a drill that was just as good as their impact driver. Unfortunately, I was not nearly as impressed with this tool.

Don't get me wrong, this drill works fine. Its action is smooth and the chuck works great. But what really turned me off was the lack of balance. It is quite top heavy. You wouldn't think it would make much of an impact given that overall the tool is quite light. But after using it for a small project I found my wrist was quite sore. The unbalanced nature of it simply fatigued my wrist enough to make me have to lay off the tools for a couple days.

I then borrowed a DeWalt 12v from a friend and it was night and day. The DeWalt was heavier to be sure, but the balance was much more even from top to bottom. As a result it's an easier and more pleasant tool to use.

I have several great Bosch tools (router, sander, impact driver) and hoped this would be another one of my favorites. Instead, I ended up sending it back.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great liittle drill, December 2, 2009
This is just a great light to medium duty cordless drill. It's the BMW of 12v LiOn drills.

In terms of the serious business of drilling all is as it should be. The chuck is solid and precise. the clutch works well. There is adequate torque. The 2 speed gear switch works smoothly (it's a struggle with my Dewalt, for example). The reverse switch is solid, smooth and well-placed (I use the reverse switch a LOT). The charger is pretty good (fast, easy to understand charge-state) although the battery socket is a little stiff forcing you to really commit to pushing the battery into it. The batteries are tiny but last long enough.

The drill itself is ergonomically quite good. It balances in the hand well (although I wish it stood upright -- the only real problem with the tool, and the reason I am not giving it 5 stars).

The Bosch looks nice, the LED's are a nice edition. The case is well designed and high quality.

The value is there too, given that it's Bosch -- the tool, 2 batteries, a case, a charger for about $130.

In the end, buying a higher priced tool, say a Bosch, Makita, etc instead of a lower priced tool like a DeWalt or Skill or Porter Cable is a matter of taste: in the end, it's just a drill. Beyond issues of reliability, the choice you make probably isn't going to affect your actually getting the work done.

But if you are the kind of person who is willing to pay a premium for quality of experience, if for example you buy Audi's and BMW's instead of Fords or Hyundais you are going to be very happy with this 12v cordless Bosch drill.

5.0 out of 5 stars great drill, May 24, 2009
This is mercedes of drills. Makes the others feel and sound perform like little girl drills. The litheon batties are the best part super light, last forever between charges. Has a light on the front. Trust me spend the extra money if you use a drill more than once a month. Bob Henry

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance, but watch for "duds", January 4, 2010
I was initially pleased with the first one of these I received -- right until the gears stripped while drilling into some soft wood. From then on, the high-speed gear would commonly strip under load, whether drilling into resinous pine or a #8 countersink. I contacted Bosch customer support, who advised me to make sure the torque limiter was on the "drill" position (which, of course, it was). They never responded to my reply. I finally decided that this was not as designed, but to give the model another chance. I returned it to Amazon, who had another one delivered to me the next day (free-of-charge). The new one has a motor that sounded slightly different than the first, and exhibits none of the problems. I have to wonder whether they had a bad run.

Overall, the drill works as expected. I use it as my primary drill now, saving the heavy-duty one for high-torque jobs. The smaller handle is a trade-off -- it's much easier to get into tighter spaces, but obviously won't stand upright. The one-hand chuck works surprisingly well, but is not as deep as the chuck on a standard-sized drill, so expect to tighten it a bit more to prevent the bit from slipping in some applications. The light works a expected, but isn't terribly bright, and is easily obscured by the workpiece. Charging time is as-advertised; I haven't managed to run out of juice before the second battery was ready to go.

Overall, I'm very pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful little drill.., March 8, 2011
To add to my collection of cordless drills, a Dewalt 12v Nicad, and a Milwaukee 12v Nicad, I purchased two new drills this last December at a Lowes sale.

For myself I purchased the Ryobi 18V P203 for $169.00. My wife, who has a passion for arts and crafts, wanted the Bosch 12V PS30 for $129.00. The Ryobi 18V P203 dill is the best that I've used in my home shop, but what surprised me was how many times I have "borrowed" my wife's Bosch 12V PS30 to do any smaller jobs.

The Bosch drill's light weight and the 3-jawed chuck make it my first choice when I only need to drill small holes and drive screws. It has enough lasting power to do many of the jobs that I had only used the 18v Ryobi for previously, before I discovered just how good the Bosch drill worked. The run time on the batteries could be a bit longer, but they do recharge fast.

My only complaint about the Bosch 12V PS30, is the soft case that came with it. It is hard to get items in and out of it. But, it is my wife's drill, so I shouldn't really complain.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this tool!!!!, January 12, 2009
This is an AWESOME drill/driver. I love it! It has taken the place of my 18V drill. I use it to install wire closet shelving. For example, this weekend, I drilled 1100+ 1/4" holes, all in drywall, and about a 1/3 of them 1" into studs. I then drove 150+ #8x2" wood screws into 1/2 drywall and 2x4 studs. I changed the battery 3 times. 30 minutes or less to charge the batteries. Taking a break? Drop the battery in the charger, and refresh it. A little more top heavy than the version that is one speed, and has the quick change chuck, but it's not that bad. The high gear is just right for drilling drywall and wood. The light on the front is even bright enough to be useful. Most drills, it' is just annoying. If you use an 18v drill for the run time, and not the power, buy this drill. You will NOT be dissapointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great "Little" Drill, September 13, 2009
Alan Grupe "theMystic1" (Washington (the state)) - See all my reviews
A great "little" drill for the shop. I do emphasize little. This is a light duty drill. If you overwork the drill, the battery will heat up to the point that it will not accept a charge. The cool down period is well beyond the time it takes to run down the second battery. This defeats the advantage of the 30 minute charge. Do not toss your corded model. The only other complaint is that there is no provision for storing bits/drivers in the soft sided case, not even a pocket. Other than that, I am well pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic litlle drill!, July 31, 2010
K. Honeyager (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
I ordered this drill to replace some very old drills with battery technology that suffered from the 'memory problem'. This drill is a lot smaller and lighter than my old ones, but it packs a lot of punch. I just finished a garage project hanging Gladiator Gearwall, and had to drive over 1,000 2" deck screws. This little guy was well up to the task. It drove about 300 screws on a single charge (no pre-drilling), and by the time the battery was dead, the 2nd battery was fully charged and ready for action. I never had to wait on batteries. Also, with the Litheon technology, the battery discharge curve is very steep, i.e the drill will drive very well until it is ready to die - you won't even know until about the last couple of screws that it is ready to give up. That's the way a drill should operate - effective until end-of-charge.

I also like the size - the head can get into smaller areas. The product comes with a zippered soft nylon case. I would have preferred a molded plastic case - that's probably my only gripe about this purchase.

Bosch PS30-2A 12-Volt Max 3/8-Inch Drill Driver