Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on December 4, 2012
As a maintenance supervisor at a 200+ unit complex in Oregon, owning this combo is fantastic! Having a drill that is compact enough to fit into your back pocket (not all the way, but enough so it won't fall out) makes my job that much easier. It is just as strong, if not stronger, than my 18v Ryobi but almost half the size. There is a slight, but noticeable delay on getting to full speed from the time you pull the trigger in all the way. It isn't that big of a deal because I often start off screws and drilling slowly to make sure I'm doing it right, but I have had a few times where I noticed it.
The L-BOXX system makes it easy to have screws and other hardware for quick access in my maintenance golf cart. The L-BOXX that the drill comes in does have plenty of extra room even with the charger, battery and drill in there. However, I keep my charger in the shop and the drill is on me always, so I was left with an empty box with no organizing boxes in it. I am puzzled as to what to put in there because when you lock the two boxes together you have to detach them in order to open the bottom box. So whatever you put in there needs to be something you don't want to have access to often. I planned on being in and out of these boxes constantly so when I saw that I knew the bottom box would hardly ever get used.

Pros:
Quality drill in a compact size.
Battery level display
LED light on the front that will turn on even if the drill is in the lock position
Quick charge time
Great, sturdy cases. Really, really fantastic. I turned the case upside-down a few times and everything stayed in it's place.
Multiple handle locations to carry both cases locked together or separate.

Cons:
Can't access bottom case when two are locked together without detaching.
Slight, yet noticeable, delay to full-speed drilling.
on March 9, 2013
1. Bosch PS31-2AL1A 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Drill is well made and I have not had to charge it since I received it.
2. Not impressed with the cases. One had a broken clap when I received it, but I do like the different compartments.
3. The drill is light, feels extremely balanced when using it, not top heavy and fits into small spaces.
4. It has several speed dials so that when a novice like me is trying to fix something, I have control without having to worry about the trigger going to fast when I am taking out or putting in a screw.

I know this doesn't help many whom may have more experience with using a power drill, but it may help some women/men to know for someone who may need to start using one, this drill may be the choice to make. I am extremely happy with the drill but the plastic cases I give a 3 star. Thank you
on April 15, 2013
I have a Dewalt 18V - heavy booger...after long day, your arm is ready to fall off using it. Plus, it doesn't work in confined spaces. So...Bosch on sale...ordered it. First Bosch tool I have owned.
I am not a contractor...we do a lot of mission work, and simple work at houses and at church.

First - the torque you will get from this small-format driver is amazing. We were building a stage at church - lots of 2X4 joists, 2X2 bracing, 3" wood screws. Repeatedly, I would "finish" the driving of screws larger drivers (Dewalt, Craftsman, No-Names) would not finish without stripping the heads of the screws. Several people commented on the amount of torque such a small driver would generate.

Second - the batteries. 12V - lasted about 2-3 hours, fairly continuous use. The battery indicator built in doesn't help all that much - because it held "full" for most of the time, then would dive off in power as it reached its limit - as expected in lithium batteries. My Dewalt will barely manage 3 hours. But - the CHARGER...it is FAST! Think...15 minutes! On day 2, the charge on one battery was dead, the other 1/4 charge (one light). Guys laughing - "Hey, that's a neat trick to get out of working there Pastor!!! Don't charge your batteries!!! hahaha" I had the last laugh...dropped battery into charger, started putting up staging...sure enough, almost discharged battery I started with died after about 15 minutes...and jaws hit the floor when I calmly went to the charger, pulled a FULLY CHARGED battery out, dropped the other one in, and hit the stage again! Meanwhile, they were struggling to charge their 18V's overnight...

Third - Size/Weight...great for a lot of use, in confined spaces, overhead, off-handed, etc. You can't beat the weight.

Overall - GREAT driver. Don't be fooled by the size - this small-format driver performs with all those full-sized pistol-grip 18 & 24V drivers, no problem. Oh...and they were all jealous of the light...
on May 17, 2013
Let's start off with the fact that I am not a professional handyman - I like to fix things around the house and I like tools.

Having said that, this is my new go to driver. It has a nice comfortable grip and is sized well for smaller hands. Compared to my Hitachi 18V this one is really light weight which makes it much less tiring to use. Comparing the weight of an 18v to a 12v driver is unfair but it's part of my justification for have two drill/drivers. Sometimes, you need the additional power from an 18v driver but most of the time I can get away with using the much lighter Bosch 12v driver.

I've used it to drive about 40 or so 2" wood screws through 5/8 plywood board without problem. The LED battery meter showed that it still had plenty of charge. It has also been used to build a wood shed. The lighter weight is really nice when you have to put in lots of screws overhead. It has an small white LED light that comes on when the trigger is actuated which throws a decent amount of light and could be handy if used in a light challenged location.

The storage boxes are great. Nice and sturdy with good build quality. The one for the drill has a molded plastic insert with spaces for the drill, charger and battery. The second case is really handy for storing hardware parts like screws, nuts, bolts, etc.

Overall, this bundle was a fantastic value and probably one of the better purchases I've made.
on January 3, 2013
I like the light weight and the ergonomics of it, my other drill is a larger Rigid cordless driver that can wear you out after swinging it around for a while.

The stackable cases the drill came with are awesome, I was surprised to get 2 - one for the tool itself and the other with dividers to store drill bits, driver bits, screws, etc.

At first glance, the price is about the same as others from a big blue or big orange store, but this came with the two storage cases (easily $30 each separately), and are better quality than the typical plastic-formed stuff, and it ships with 2 batteries and a fast-charger, so you can charge one battery while using the other. Overall, the lithium-ion batteries are fantastic and I haven't really found that I need the spare.

My only complaint is that I wish it had a little more torque, but it's a very compact size and very light, it's an easy trade-off.
on December 7, 2012
This drill has a wonderful feel and balance in your hand.

The speed control seems a little inconsistent but it's not a problem.

What really bothers me and my reason to return it is the chuck. It has bad wobble/runout. I confirmed this with a precision machinist drill blank set and compared it to some other drills I have including an older 18V Bosch which showed no wobble..

I would have expected Bosch to provide a better chuck with this drill.
66 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2013
This is a moderately powerful, moderately quick drill that would be nothing special except for two things:

1. The size. This is a nice sized drill, smaller than normal but not dinky, that is perfect for tight places where you don't need the power of a full size 18v drill. Cabinetry, electrical work, overhead installations, etc. It is powerful enough to drive screws into plywood but I didn't care for it in that regard, I went back to my 18v Hitachi's for that. But for lighter work, like when installing electrical switches or such, this thing is great. If I could only have one drill, this wouldn't be it (that would be one of my 18v Hitachi's) but it would be my second as I rarely use either of my two half incher's.

2. The BOXXes are very nice. This from a guy who throws away 99% of the cases which accompany tools. This package comes with 2. One is full of trays. The other holds the drill, two batteries, and the charger ... in one half the BOXX. The other half has another insert (I know not what it fits, if anything) but the hot set up is to order the companion reciprocating saw which comes with its own insert. Bosch Bare-Tool PS60BN 12-Volt Max Lithium-Ion Pocket Reciprocating Saw with Exact-Fit L-BOXX Tool Insert Tray. Put the insert for that killer baby recip saw in the BOXX with the drill insert and you have the drill, two batteries, a charger and a killer reciprocating saw, all in one BOXX with room for blades and bits. You could work all day in a crawlspace or attic or kitchen with that set up and never come out for more tools.

Recommended. Highly recommended, provided you routinely work in spaces or conditions where a smaller drill or recip saw would come in handy, and provided you understand neither is as powerful as normal sized, 18v, power tools. Powerful, yes. Just not AS powerful. Fast, yes. Just no AS fast.
on June 17, 2013
This Bosch tool is a great deal and I love the 2 L-Boxx that we got with it! Normally one would pay about the same for just the drill, without the L-Boxxes. I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to get this kit for the same price. The L-Boxxes are so cool - very sturdy and well built. They are great to put screw bits, drill bits, screws, bolts etc in. The simple fact that you can stack several of these together just adds to the fact that I already love them! Even if the drill is small - it is still useful around the house and packs a nice little punch. Couldn't be happier.
VINE VOICEon May 8, 2014
The newer models come with higher capacity batteries (2 Ah instead of 1.5 Ah) and have brushless motors (slightly smaller, more efficient, no spark when stopping). Although the capacity are different, the batteries are interchangeable, so you can use the higher capacity batteries with this (and vice versa) if you have both.
on December 30, 2012
This drill was purchased to upgrade from a store brand that I had for many years. I could not be happier with this drill. Highly recomened. Im not sure it would have enough power for a construction worker but for the average DIYer this works great.