4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good setup for the money
I've been contemplating getting around to building a router table for far too long. I've been limping by with my tablesaw router insert. I had gotten a great deal on the Bosch 1617 Plunge/Fixed combo a while back. I thought that this would be a good pair, using the fixed base mounted in the table, with above table adjustment, and the plunge base for handheld use...
Published on October 25, 2006 by J. Sacher

3.0 out of 5 stars Check the table for flatness
Check the table for flatness when you get it! My first one had a high spot about an inch to the left of the table insert. I returned it and the second one did also. I called Bosch and after some time it turns out that they had some production errors. Bosch customer service was very good. I like the design of the table. Hopefully it will work well, but I have had to spend...
Published on October 16, 2007 by JCullen

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good quality, May 21, 2012
This review is from: Bosch RA1181 Benchtop Router Table (Tools & Home Improvement)
I've had mine for six months and mostly it has been a source of heartache. The top is bowed like an upside down bowl. I can adjust the center plate to put it in line with one of the sides, but it is really hard to hold work flat on that surface. Cuts with a vertical component like glue joints or dovetails are ruined as the piece teeter-totters up and down. The base is made of plastic, so it is a bit wobbly. I've had a terrible time with the bolts that hold it together. The plastic is ill designed such that I can't get tools in there to tighten the bolts. All I can do is hand tighten them, with great difficulty. Consequently, after I'm done with 20 minutes of routing, I usually have three or four nuts on the floor below the table. At some point it is just going to fall over on me. That isn't safe! The fence is reasonable. Apart from that, Bosch just wasted my money here. I'm going to get a different table and think twice before buying more of their stuff.

1.0 out of 5 stars an other one that is warped, May 8, 2012
GWHad (Fremont, CA) - See all my reviews
Half of the reviews writen from March 2012 have had warped tops I wounder if the other half just did not catch it. This does not say much for Bosch QA not to catch a bad casting.

Update Just recieved a second one and it has the same problem. The second one had been opened before,it sounds like Amazon just recycles the bad ones instead return them to Bosch. I talked to a tech at Bosch and he said that they were not aware any problems with RA1181 and to bring it in to a repair center.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Table, March 7, 2007
Just got it. Cut several peices. Its all I looked for: sturdy, accurate, sufficient size workspace. Quality build and a good tool. Good buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, July 3, 2011
M. Primm (Maryland, USA) - See all my reviews
I just finished a set of raised panel cabinet doors which is about the most challenging thing I use a router table for. The doors ended up nice with good fit, the minor flaws are most likely do to the operator not the tools. I am by no means a pro but here are few points I noticed while using the table:

1. Assembly was not particularly difficult but expect to take some time to do it right. The instructions were adequate.

2. Leveling the mounting plate got a little frustrating, but I tend to get hung up making things perfect when they don't need to be. In the end I got it level with the table (more on this later).

3. Setting up the table for use was easy, the feather boards were solid, worked well, and stayed in place as did the fence itself. I have to admit, the guard that attaches to the fence didn't last long with me, but removing it is easier than installing it. I will most likely regret this decision the first time I get my fingers tangled up in a spinning bit.

4. The table surface left some mar on the wood I was using, but nothing that wasn't easy to sand out. I imagine that this will go away as the table surface gets used. If you really wanted to I'm sure you could polish the table surface before first use.

5. I have a Bosch router so the table top depth adjustment feature worked with my router. However, the combination of having to clean out the dust from the hole every time and keeping track of the allen wrench made it a rarely used gimmick. I ended up just making all of my adjustments from under the table. This is how I adjusted on my old table so it was not a big deal for me.

6. Chip collection was decent using a 1HP shop-vac, but I would continually blow the breaker in the table switch with both the vac and the router plugged in to it. Based on the current rating of the switch (15A) I shouldn't have had both things plugged in to it; so chalk that up to operator error.

Now for my main complaint. As was mentioned in a few other reviews my table top had some significant crown (a little over 1/32" or 0.03125"). 95% of the time this probably won't be an issue but I emailed Bosch anyway. Per the response I received, the manufacturing tolerances are a max crown of 0.5mm (0.02"), so it would seem my table is out of spec. It's the weekend so I will have to wait for Bosch's response as to what I should do, but even with the out of spec crown the table performed well.

Overall, I would recommend this table to a friend who was in the market for a sub-$200 router table.

*EDIT* After a brief and friendly email exchange with Bosch tech support they shipped out a new table top which showed up just a few days later. This one was perfect and they did not ask for the old one back making it a rather easy process. I upgraded my review to 5 stars due to the excellent support I received.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain Priced Router Table, March 20, 2009
Mtrunz (Westen New York) - See all my reviews
After much research I decided on the Bosch RA1181 router table. I was able to purchase it new on Amazon for $152.00 with free shipping which was as low as I had ever seen this table. The quality of the table and fence system is as good or better than tables I looked that cost twice as much and more. Even though $180.00 is the most common price range for this table this still holds true. The pre-drilled mounting plate will accomodate mounting for many popular routers, you can check compatibility before ordering. Unfortunately, my Triton router was not one of those models but I was able to use one of the existing holes and drill the other 3 without a problem and I was ready to go. A router table is only as good as the fence system in my opinion and the fence system on the RA1180 is simply unheard of in router tables in this price range. Usually, they consist of plastic and are not what you would call "precision" devices. The fence system on this table is all about precision and it's made from strong extruded aluminum. It comes with a nice set of featherboards and a very efficient dust collection port for you to connect your shop vac to. The table top is surprisingly large when compared to other tables in this price range. Compared to some of the competition, it looks downright HUGE. When you look at the junk tables on the market that hover around the $150.00 mark, there is no doubt in my mind that this is by far the best bargain in the benchtop router table arena.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Product, June 11, 2007
T. Gates (Baton Rouge, LA) - See all my reviews
Just finished assembling the table with the Bosch under-table base and cutting a few pieces. This product exceeded my expectations. The manual is clear, the unit assembles with precision, the table is flat, and the mounting plate is sturdy and easily leveled.

In my view, using this table without a permanently mounted under-table base would be a pain given that the fence must be pulled to remove the mounting plate. The fence is easy to remove but it was worth the extra cost to avoid the hassle of dealing with the fence as well as removing and reinstalling the plastic router base every time I used the table. The aux base for use with my Bosch router makes for a very nice combination.

I am very pleased with this purchase and expect to be using it for many years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the price, but has some flaws, February 7, 2011
I purchased this benchtop router table for my weekend projects and hobbies. I have a porter cable 890, and it fits like a glove. Here is what I liked about this table:
* It comes with a number of accessories including featherboards, 1/16" shims, and fence.
* The table top and the router plate is made of aluminum.
* Large router opening with 3 different step rings allows you to use most of the router bits out there.
* The fence has a tall sturdy aluminum backing with smooth MDF face.
* Dual power plug allow you to power the router and vacuum simultaneously.
* Well written instruction. But set up will take some time, especially to level the router plate.

But the table is far from perfect, and here is what I disliked
* The table top has a warp of about 1/32". The high point is about 2/3 of the way to the left. From other reviews, this seems to be a systemic manufacturing defect. This is OK if you are routing some basic edge profiles or cutting dados. But if you are building dovetail joints or high precision carpentry, expect some rework and quite a bit of sanding afterwards.
* Because of the first defect, perfect leveling of the router plate is impossible. What I did is to level the plate to both left and right edges. This way at least the work piece won't get caught in the gaps. But because of the 1/32" bump to the left, the work piece will rise by the same amount as you feed it through. Not a big deal for edge profiling, but for high precision joints, this will cause some headaches later.
* Plastic table legs seem to be a little weak. But I bolted it to a custom made cabinet (even painted it with matching "bosch blue"), so it is now quite sturdy.
* The dust collection port is oversized and won't work with my shop vac. I think Bosch sell an adapter for some extra $$.

Overall, for the number of accessories that it comes with, it is worth the $200. This would be a quite good entry level table for most garage shops in my opinion.

2.0 out of 5 stars good basic design, a few serious issues, March 21, 2010
Jerry (New York USA) - See all my reviews
I have found the plastic base to be more than adequate as long as it is clamped to the bench in at least 2 places, I know this is a major concern for many people and have not found it to be an issue at all. I also have not had any issues with the switch although plugging in the vacuum and router by feel can be annoying but not a deal breaker as I don't do it too often.

As others have stated the table is a little out of flat, but I also found yesterday that the fence is a little out of true vertically, this became an issue running stock vertically for a dovetail groove.

I have two HUGE pet peeves about this table:

One is the miter slot, it is not a standard 3/4" miter slot, it is oversized enough that any featherboards I have designed to clamp into a miter slot don't work because they don't spread enough to get tight. I measured it at about .86"
The slot is also too large for a miter gauge to be used because it is way too sloppy to be safe or accurate.

The second big issue is the included feather boards and clear guard. The T-track on the top of the fence is set back from the surface of the fence which means you need to use the included spacers to be able to attach anything. These make what would be very good accessories cumbersome and slow to install. This makes it really annoying to go back and forth, you also have to remove the bolts and flip them over to use on the table surface, and they can only be used in a few locations where there are slotted holes in the "miter slot". Despite the pain of installation, the featherboards do function very well once installed.

I understand this is probably the case for any cast table but the lack of a flat edge on the bottom makes it very difficult if not impossible to clamp on auxiliary fences or stop blocks.

Compatibility:
Ridgid R2900- Fits well, I have this router in the table now and I like it.
Freud FT1700- DOES NOT FIT, I got this to replace the Ridgid but it does not fit (and apparently does not fit any standard table)

Overall a decent package, fine for profile routing, but for precise joinery can be difficult to set up accurately.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Product !, December 12, 2007
The Bosch router table is well worth the extra cost. Works great. Be carefull not to order the under table accessory if your using another brand of router other than Bosch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, July 7, 2012
The table top is aluminum, the legs are plastic. With the bolts tightened it seems to be stable though I never got to use it. The table has two main problems which make it not worth ordering.
1) Packaging: it's packaged poorly with the table top prone to getting gouged. The unit I received and all the corners crushed in slightly. This created a surface that would have to be sanded down to be flat. Scratches all over. While scratches are not a work issue by themselves, it shows how poorly it is packaged that something that's cast aluminum can't get to it's destination in a unmarred condition. And good luck repackaging it when you want to send it back!
2) There was a high line half way between the front of the table and where the router bit comes though. Creating a rocker effect that will create two separate cut lines depending how you hold it. I had heard about issues with table flatness in early reviews, and had thought they had fixed the problem. Apparently not.
This will make me rethink Bosch equipment, both for concerns of quality as well as the condition you'll receive it in.

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›