4.0 out of 5 stars My 2nd Bosch

1.0 out of 5 stars Rusts on the inside; stains on the outside
Published on May 22, 2012 by Exscotticus

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Rusts on the inside; stains on the outside, May 22, 2012
This review is from: Bosch SHE3AR55UC Ascenta 24" Stainless Steel Full Console Dishwasher - Energy Star
Two years after purchasing Bosch's "stainless" steel "rust-free" dishwasher with a "lifetime warranty" against rust, we discovered... rust. It was in a very specific area, where the metal filter attaches to the interior tub. We called Bosch and were told that it was our fault, that it was our water, our dishwasher soap, our flatware--anything but the dishwasher. We persisted, explaining that we use a water softener and a reverse-osmosis system and that our water is no worse, and probably a bit better, than average. Furthermore, if it was merely our water, then we would expect to see rust everywhere. As for our dishwasher soap--well--it comes from Costco, and I'm sure they'd take exception to Bosch's claim that it promotes rust. We offered our own theory, which is that the metal used in the filter is dissimilar to the metal in the tub, resulting in a galvanic reaction and corrosion to the metals. Basically, the two different metals, pressed together in an aqueous environment, results in a battery. But for Bosch to admit this would be to admit a design flaw--the sort of admission that leads to a class-action lawsuit. We already know Bosch uses a variety of "stainless" metals. For example, the metal used on the door is a very inferior grade of stainless steel that is easily streaked and spotted. And the way you can tell is to use a magnet. If the magnet sticks then it's ferrous metal and more prone to staining.

This section is taken right out of the manual: "Stainless Steel TallTub: A rust-free, hygienic interior surface with a lifetime warranty." Bosch routinely advertises a "lifetime rust-free warranty". The sales reps will tell you that the unit comes with a lifetime rust-free warranty.

Yet Bosch claims they don't actually guarantee the tub to be rust-free; they only warrant against "rust-through", meaning you will have to live with the rust until it eats a hole through the metal--until water starts pouring into some part of the dishwasher where it doesn't belong (hopefully not endangering you, your family, or your home, in the process). When you consider that Bosch basically expects you to use their rusting appliance until there's a catastrophic failure, you realize that the advertisements, selling points, and sales pitches regarding "rust-free" and "lifetime warranty" are all fraudulent.

Bosch offered no remedies and suggested that the rust can be removed (on our dime, of course). The problem is that even if we use a rust-removing product, the rust will return in time, because the source of the rust--a design flaw--remains.

4.0 out of 5 stars My 2nd Bosch, March 7, 2012
B. Moore (Fair Haven, NJ) - See all my reviews
This is the 2nd Bosch washer I have bought from a local home improvement store. The first one was an entry level back at our old house replacing a noisy cheapo whirlpool in 2006. We bought Bosch because of how quiet they ran. Now in our current home we are replacing another cheapo whirlpool (dead) with another entry level Bosch but the price point is a couple of hundred less than 5 years ago. First, this has a stainless tub with a plastic bottom, whereas the old one was all stainless.

Now we get to how quiet it runs - on my old Bosch you had to put your ear next to the washer to hear it - the new one you don't have to, you can hear it pretty clearly but i would not describe it as loud by any means - you will not have to adjust the volume of a TV set in the kitchen or have to talk over it. I would guess its on par with or a bit better than most dishwashers at this price point. I am guessing Bosch is now using how quiet a washer is to set price points on their washers.

It cleans very well and dries better than the last one. Let me share what I know about a Bosch washer and how it Dries. You do not have the traditional vent on the countertop for steam to escape it goes through the drain - so you need to use a rinse aid like Jet Dry. The washer will heat the hot water supplied and has a hidden heating element under the Plastic/Poly bottom. It is possible to turn the heating element off - you need to consult the manual to adjust this and or the amount of rinse aid dispensed. With the heating element on, sanitized selected and using a rinse aid - all my dishes are dry in fact it dries better than the old model - the dishes are so hot right after a cycle that they are too hot to handle.

FYI - Many dishwashing detergents have been forced to change their formulas (remove phosphates in the past 12 months) some traditional detergent brands are now terrible to the point where people are buying new dishwashers when they only need different detergents - I have found the best results with Finish tablets.
This washer is made in the USA and i do not expect it to last as long as my mother-in-law's still running trouble free 16+ year old German built Bosch. The stainless steel outer door feels a bit flimsy when you wipe it down.

All in all I think I got a fair product for the money and do not think I would have a better product for the same $ I spent on this. The only thing else I would say is that it does not have a solid food dispenser and if you want near silent operation you and your wallet will need to step up the Bosch line.

Pros
bang 4 buck, made in usa, cheaper $

Cons
made cheaper

UPDATE 6/27/13 - I am still getting consistent performance out of my dishwasher. If I had to do it all over again, I would have spent a bit more for a 100% stainless tub as this does not live up to its name in terms of quiet performance. All in all though I do feel as though I did get a reasonable bang for the buck. I did have a Bosch front load washing machine that I wound up replacing after 3 years, so Bosch will only get my money for dishwashers, wiper blades & spark plugs from now on. I have not experienced any rust whatsoever as the other reviewer mentioned. Recent sellers on amazon of this product seem to be selling this at a premium it doesn't deserve as I got mine at a big box retailer a year and a half ago when it wasn't on sale for quite a bit cheaper. Check prices thoroughly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, October 26, 2011
Great dishwasher at a great price. Gets dishes squeaky clean. Plenty of features for what I need - You can set "Extra Dry Heat" cycle and set the amount of rinse agent. I use "Auto Wash" function with Extra Dry Heat off and it figures out cycle strength, wash time and amount of water on its own. Dishes are still hot to the touch when unloading a half hour after complete. It's quiet so I don't have to turn up the TV anymore when the dishwasher is going.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rust on inside of SS door after only 2 months, June 29, 2012
Ronald M. Bowren "Ronbo" (Modesto, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I did a lot of research before purchasing this dishwasher locally. It seemed to work Ok for the first few weeks, but then the soap dispenser would not open and drop in the Electrosol Tab (the recommended product) into the dishwasher. So now I just place the tablet inside one of the utensil trays before running it. Then yesterday when I opened the dishwasher door after running a small load, I was surprised to see small rust spots all over the inside of the stainless steel surface of the door. I first tried just wiping the spots off with a wet cloth, then tried cleaning it off Tilex spray, then Stainless Steel spray cleaner...but the spots would not budge.

This morning I called Bosch customer service for their advise on addressing the problem. The first response was that this was just a cosmetic issue not covered after the first 30 days. Second, that if I had ever cleaned the surface with Chlorox it could cause the surface to rust. Since I would have no reason to try and clean rust stains from the inside of the door until today, that was no help. The final advice was to try and clean it with a product called CLR, a product recommended to clean mineral and rust stains...otherwise, since this was just a cosmetic issue it was not covered under the warranty (period).

All of the major, and most of the minor appliances, in my kitchen are stainless steel, and over the past 15 years none has ever had rust spots appear on them...so this was a big disappointment with the new Bosch. Otherwise the dishwasher does run very quiet, and seems to do an adequate job so far. Just not too happy with the rust spots, and the cool brush off by Bosch customer service.

2.0 out of 5 stars Do your homework - stinky dishwasher!, September 13, 2012
I'd be interested to hear whether any of the other reviewers have had this problem, but a couple of months after installing this dishwasher, it started to smell terrible. After months of trying to keep the filter clean and living with the terrible odor, I called a repairman since it is still under warranty. He came and cleaned out the filter and sold me some dishwasher cleaner and told me that it is normal to have 1/4 inch of water under the filter after running the dishwasher. That is the source of the smell. He ran the dishwasher with the cleaner and a couple of hours later... still stinky! I've googled it and this seems to be very common to Bosch owners. I will absolutely never buy a Bosch dishwasher again.

Pros: *It does a decent job cleaning the dishes, though it's not perfect. There is often food stuck to the dishes after running.
Cons: *IT REEKS! *The dishes come out sopping wet unless you use Jet Dry, which is expensive. *It could definitely be roomier. My last dishwasher was a builder-grade basic one and I could fit a lot more dishes in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, quiet, economical dishwasher, January 29, 2012
We've been using this dishwasher regularly for about 3 months now, so I can't comment on its longevity. However, so far, we're very impressed. This model is extremely quiet and gets dishes very clean with minimal pre-rinsing. I've seen reviews of other Bosch models that complain about the dishes not being dry when they're finished, but we haven't had that issue at all. Just follow the instructions and use some JetDry, and you won't have problems.

So far, a quality product. We'd definitely buy it again.

3.0 out of 5 stars If I could, I would get something else, October 3, 2011
Had to replace the dishwasher in a new house. Looked into many models, and decided to go with this model (bought at a local BestBuy). Used for 5 months prior to writing this review.

Pros:
1. Washes dishes well.
2. Supposedly saves water (not sure if I can check this claim, so I am taking it as is)
3. Supposedly saves energy cause it's not using dry-heat at the end of the cycle but rather FINISH rinse agent (more on it in #3 of Cons)
4. Nice looks and easy to operate. Mainly use the AUTO wash - set it and forget it. Also we use 3hr delay so we don't get bothered with noise (later about the noise).

Cons:
1. It is much smaller than other dishwashers we have owned and/or operated (primarily Kenmoore and Whirlpool). I think this Bosch's basic model was made smaller on purpose to make you buy a more advanced washer that is sized properly. For a family of 3, we turn the dishwasher on at least every other day, sometomes daily (when we have guests and such)
2. Maybe I got a defective dishwasher, but mine is NOT QUITE. Again, I compare with kenmoores and whirlpools that I have used and/or owned. We set the 3-hr delay so that in the evening we can watch the TV in the living room without having to turn the volume up.
3. This dishwasher goes though FINISH Finish Jet-dry Rinse Agent, Original Liquid, 32 Oz lightning fast. We set the use of FINISH to the lowest, but the LOW indicator lights up every three or so weeks. Maybe the dishwasher is saving water (see #2 in pros above) and energy (see #3 in pros above), but last time I checked water is much cheaper than FINISH liquid. With Kenmoore, we had to refill the liquid no often than once every 3-4 months.

All things considered, we aren't getting anymore BOSCHs. Next time around I am getting a Kenmoore from Sears. They all are regular sizes and don't consume FINISH at lightning speeds.

1.0 out of 5 stars Read this if you are considering ANY Bosch dishwasher, June 25, 2012
A. Stubbs (Va. Beach. VA) - See all my reviews
A repairman just left my house after an unsuccessful attempt at repairing a five-year-old Bosch dishwasher. It needed a new control board which was discontinued, unavailable, recalled, and the recall had expired. In other words my not-so-old, very expensive dishwasher is JUNK.
I'll not be looking for another Bosch. Would you?

2.0 out of 5 stars irritating high pitch noise, June 26, 2012
We recently purchased this dishwasher at a local big box store. It cleans and drys well and looks nice and is relatively quiet. We are a two person household so the size is fine. HOWEVER, it makes a very irritating high pitch sound throughout the entire cycle. We exchanged the dishwasher for another one thinking and hoping that we had simply received a bad one the first time around. Unfortunately, the second one makes the same horrible noise. I can't believe no one else has complained about this. We even added a piece of foam behind the foot plate but it didn't dampen the noise enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, relatively inexpensive, April 22, 2012
mnmom (Northern Minnesota) - See all my reviews
I have owned a more upscale Bosch before and loved it. Recently moved and bought a house with a relatively new Whirlpool that cleaned nothing, was loud and was too short to allow the upper arm to go around when my stone wear plates were in. After multiple cleanings, etc i saw a Best Buy sale and went looking for another Bosch. The options in store were not great and this was the low end choice. No adjustable shelf. I decided this wasn't' worth the $300 difference. Didn't notice there was no rinse only cycle until reading the instructions after installation. Decided to just live with it. So, first load had dried on cheese, other assorted rinsed in the sink by teenager stuff. Used the 'Auto' setting. This works great and have not worried since. Have only had for a short time but would buy it again. Is deep enough for pots and pans and Have not tried to put the wine glasses in the upper rack yet to gauge height. It works as well as the more expensive model I owned previously.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›