5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality and quiet
We actually bought this Bosch dishwasher model SHE45M06UC at Lowes with a 10% discount for a total of about $635 in January 2008. It is superb! We originally were looking at the Kenmore and Whirpool lines in the $500 range. But after examining the Bosch we went ahead and spent another $135 to get it.

I think we could easily have been happy with the kenmore or...
Published on January 20, 2008 by Jeff

2.0 out of 5 stars Pay attention to the negatives...and it's smelly....
I bought this Bosch dishwasher model SHE45M06UC at Lowes with a 10% discount for a total of about $600 in Feb 09.

Published on August 5, 2009 by JMann

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality and quiet, January 20, 2008
This review is from: Bosch SHE45M06UC Dishwasher with 4 Wash Cycles (Black)

I think we could easily have been happy with the kenmore or Whirlpool models, but we are glad we bought the Bosch SHE45 instead. We are very pleased with it even at the premium price.

Significant features:
- All stainless steel interior and nylon coated racks (not likely to wear through and rust)
- Opti-Clean dirt sensor to automatically adjust cleaning time
- Regular, pot scrubber and half wash
- Time delay
- 51 db (super quiet)
- Qualifies for an Oregon State engery savings tax credit
- No heater coils exposed so you can place plastic items on lower rack

PROS: Every Bosch is much quieter that any most other brand because it does not have a food grinder built in. It just uses a stainless steel mesh screen which is easy to empty and only needs to be emptied every month or so. We scape and quickly rinse our dishes before putting them in the dishwasher anyway, so a food grinder seemed superfluous. Fewer moving parts also means fewer things to break or wear out.

Another feature we like is the stainless steel tub/liner which is heavier gauge than the similar Kenmore. Granted, our old Kenmore never wore out its plastic liner, but the Bosch interior is NICE.

This model is not only quieter than even most Bosch models (you can barely hear it and is much quieter than our microwave across the kitchen), it also uses about half the energy per year as the cheaper SHE43 model.

It is fantastic to be able to put large plastic items (mixing bwls, colander, etc.) on the lower rack. This is because most washers have a heating element exposed in the bottom of the interior and will melt plastic items to close to it. the bosh uses an enclosed heater that has the water forced through it making every part of the interior the same temperature as the water.

Dishes come out VERY clean. Only uses one tablespoon of detergent for our Pacific Northwest soft water.

Very easy to raise and lower the top rack.

CONS:
Drying of items takes longer as the heating element is not exposed in the interior. This is not a problem for just my wife and I and occasional family get togethers. We typically only wash a load ever 1-2 days. But if you frequently needed to do back-to-back loads for a large family or groups, then the Bosch line may not be the best for you.

The racks seem not to hold our particular type of dishes as efficiently as I expected. Again, for just the two of us now it is no problem. I think the Kenmore/whirlpool may have a better rack design.

Installation requires very specific routing of the power and water lines along the floor. This is because it fits so close to the floor that it has channels molded into the bottom to allow the passage of these two lines. However, with no experience I was able to do this by making sure I had long enough lines to get them routed through while the dishwaser was just in front of its cubbyhole and fully exposed. Other guys I talked to suggested taping the lines to the floor at the distances specified in the instructions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ever!, March 28, 2008
Joe (Foxboro, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch SHE45M06UC Dishwasher with 4 Wash Cycles (Black)
We bought the Bosch to replace a 10-year old Maytag that still worked quite well. The racks on the Maytag had rusted enough though that we couldn't repair anymore. We visited a local parts store and found out that the replacement cost for the two racks was $300.00 - ouch!
So we opted to buy a new dishwasher and the Bosch was on sale. We ended up paying $525 - and what a great buy that was.
There are many pros:
* Super quiet - you have to experience it to believe it. We have an open kitchen design and with the old dishwasher, we could NEVER use it while watching TV or generally on the first floor. The loudest it gets is way at the beginning of the cycle for about 10 minutes. After that, you can't even tell that it's on.
* All stainless steel tub. Just looks nice every time we open it. It's also super clean and not prone to discoloration as with white interiors.
* No heating element. This was another major reason we liked the Bosch. The old dishwasher had an exposed heating element that melted a few items over its life that got loose during a wash. It also used to get so hot, that steam would rise during the drying cycle from the dishwasher. I didn't think that was good for the counter tops or the wood cabinets. For the past 2-3 years we turned the heated drying function off. With the Bosch we do not have to worry. Other reviewers find this a turn off or a problem, as the dishes do not come out 100% dry. We have zero problem with that and are happy with the performance.
* Dishes come out clean. You'd expect that, but one never knows. We are very pleased with the performance and cleanliness of the dishes.
* Auto clean cycle is a neat feature and it counts down the time to completion.

It's not as deep as the older model and does not hold as many dishes, but not by a substantial amount. The top rack has two height adjustments, which is slick.

If you can live with a few European idiosyncrasies this is your next dishwasher. The pros way outweigh any cons you could dream up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding dishwahser, December 12, 2008
Good guy (Colorado Springs, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch SHE45M06UC Dishwasher with 4 Wash Cycles (Black)
Having been disappointed with the cleaning power of past-owned DW's (Kitchenaid, Whirlpool, GE) I was apprehensive about this one but the excellent reviews convinced me to try it. It is outstanding! It cleans just about anything (except burned on stuff in a frying pan) and does it extremely quietly. It is quieter than our refrigerator. I am very impressed and would highly recommend this to anyone. This one works so well I wonder why people would buy the $1000+ DW's?

2.0 out of 5 stars Pay attention to the negatives...and it's smelly...., August 5, 2009
This review is from: Bosch SHE45M06UC Dishwasher with 4 Wash Cycles (Black)

Note this model has a Quick cycle, which is 35 mins as opposed to 100 min. its the reason I bought it....I use it often since I rinse the dishes first to Save Energy, ie, to only run it when its filled completely, which takes 2 days or so for me.

True that Bosch is much quieter than expected...you hardly know its on. But the problems which are mentioned in other reviews need to be addressed.

First, the thing stinks. The stainless steel yields a wierd industrial metal smell afer a day or two of non-use. I tried running vinegar in it, no change. It was this way the first week and its still this way. And I do rinse off food before putting dishes in. Maybe steel is not suitable? Is there reaction with other metals that are being washed?

Drying of items takes longer and most plastics in the top rack, ie, kids cups, don't dry at all. This is big pain as I have to dry them by hand to put them away. If you have kids then think twice about this, its a waste of time that isn't necessary with other washers. and i can see it happening for the next 5 years or so. BTW the silverware doesn't get dry either.

Another annoyance: The racks seem not to hold our particular type of dishes as efficiently as I expected either. Deep bowls like cereal bowls just don't seem to have a place. So they take up a lot of room. There are a few spots where vertical pieces were left out (along the side of the top rack - must have saved a whole penny there!), and sometimes plastic sipper tops or tupperware will slide out.

Sorry Bosch, but that's the way this machine (SHE45MO6UC) is working out for me. I don't think I'd recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Photogirl, December 18, 2011
This review is from: Bosch SHE45M06UC Dishwasher with 4 Wash Cycles (Black)
Have tried different ways to stack cereal bowls and nothing works. My old Kitchen Aid could handle three times more dishes than the Bosch, due to the poor stacking design. Also, the filter has to be taken apart frequently in order to clean out the debris or you have the odor of rotting food. The instruction manual does not mention how to take the filter apart - learned how to do this on a You Tube video. Frequent cleaning of the filter gets rid of the stink. Another design flaw. How could Consumer Reports recommend this dishwasher?????

Would not recommend this dishwasher. It is quiet, but if I had it to do over again, would buy a Kitchen Aid.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, August 13, 2009
This review is from: Bosch SHE45M06UC Dishwasher with 4 Wash Cycles (Black)
Just got our Bosch. Have used it twice. Had concerns about not having a drying unit, and am
definitely missing that feature. The salesman said all the new machines, no matter what make will
be the same. Don't know if that is true. If I had to do it again, I would buy a unit with a
dryer. Already am tired of having to dry dishes after running. Don't know about the smell mentioned,
but do agree the bottom rack loading is very awkward. Feel like I get substantially fewer dishes in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quiet machine, wish it had a couple more things, March 17, 2008
This review is from: Bosch SHE45M06UC Dishwasher with 4 Wash Cycles (Black)
Just got this unit a week ago. Seems to clean very well and it's MUCH quieter than our 10-year old Kitchenaid. The old machine did have something we miss - little clips in the top rack to hold plastic lids/tupperware. The Bosch sprays these things around and turns them upside down, filling them with water every time.

Also, the child lock is only "half-useful". It can only be activated after you've started a cycle, not before. So you can't prevent children from turning it on, just playing with it after it's already running.

Also I find the "on/off" button a bit strange for a dishwasher. Don't think I've seen that before.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bosch SHE45M06UC, February 26, 2011
This review is from: Bosch SHE45M06UC Dishwasher with 4 Wash Cycles (Black)
WARNING!!! DO NOT BUY THIS DISHWASHER!!! No matter what your told, this BOSH dishwasher develops a terrible smell over the course of 2-3 days PERIOD!!! Bosch will tell you to use the approved tables, rinse agent and cycle the dishwasher without anything from time to time but DO NOT listen. I've tried absolutely everything and there is NO way to get rid of this smell. buyer BEWARE!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Quiet- Doesn't work!, April 19, 2012
This review is from: Bosch SHE45M06UC Dishwasher with 4 Wash Cycles (Black)
I purchased this dishwasher from Lowe's less than four years ago. Insides fell apart (plastic) but boy it is quiet. Now it is really quiet, doesn't work! Service options are limited. Twice the wrong part has been sent and returned. Now they are saying it is the correct part and don't believe their own authorized service repairmen. Waiting for them to send it again and walk service man (again!) through it. Ooops!! they forgot to send the part and now it is over 4 weeks since problem began. Part is still under warranty but only a replacement part (not the original) is available. Do not buy the product unless you like the silence...of it not working.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for intended purpose., October 24, 2011
Royce (Tombstone, AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch SHE45M06UC Dishwasher with 4 Wash Cycles (Black)
This Bosch dishwasher just plain does not work. Leaves a gritty film on everything- glasses, dishes, silverware- everything. Recommended soap and rinsing agents completely ineffective. Trap clogs easily; not cleaned easily. Will never buy any product with Bosch badge again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›