5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely quiet and cleans well
Published on July 3, 2011 by jray

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems and Bosch doesn't stand behind their product
Published on December 4, 2012 by Matt S

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems and Bosch doesn't stand behind their product, December 4, 2012
This review is from: Bosch : SHE55M15UC 24 Evolution 500 Series Full Console Dishwasher - Stainless Steel
We did a lot of research 15 months ago and selected this Bosch dishwasher. Consumer reports rated it high and the key drawbacks we saw were the smaller interior size compared to our previous dishwashers and the lack of a food "disposal" system. Many of the high efficiency washers have a filter basket that has to be removed periodically and cleaned out. That is the case with this one.

Shortly after our first use with the dishwasher we were smelling a lingering egg smell on the glassware. At first it was lingering and then it became strong and gross - like rotten eggs. We called Bosch. They told us to change detergents. Same problem. Talked to Bosch - they said we needed to turn our water heater temp up. Same problem. Talked to Bosch - we needed to remount the drain hose an extra 6 inches higher than the instructions stated. Same problem. Talked to Bosch - we should rinse our dishes better (what?!!). Same problem. Talked to Bosch - our water must be too hard... Huh? We never had that problem before. Same problem. Bosch said we cook with too much oil. $%@$^@$%@$???? Every time we called to get help they told us some other goofy thing to blame something other than their dishwasher. The one solution we found was to put white vinegar in the washer when it was in the middle of the cycle - that made things liveable. We would go through a gallon of white vinegar every two weeks.

Something we saw all the time was a gross, gooey sludge developed on the filter and the water that was left in the bottom of the dishwasher was dirty (high efficiency units leave a little water in the bottom under the cover). I would clean gooey yellow-orange-brown-sludge-butter-muck off the filter 3 times each week. Gross. No wonder the dishes smelled.

About 6 months into the ordeal (mind you, we are eating on dishes that smell awful but appear clean) we call Bosch and tell them we have had it and we request that they replace the dishwasher. We have a one year warranty, right, and clearly there is some type of defect with this dishwasher. What did Bosch say? "Oh, I am sorry to hear of your problem, but we don't have any record of you having any concerns with this dishwasher." What?!!! All the calls from our home, that they logged our home number with and provided us a log number - yet none of that was in their system. So what now? We need to start a process with a service call to get things in order. Great! In my mind, another delay tactic.

First service call: The repair man finds no problems - mechanically everything works (yep, we know). It took us 2 months to convince the service person there was a problem. At 10 months we were getting concerned that we were going to be stuck with this awful dishwasher so we called the reputable dealer where we purchased it. They told us "good luck, Bosch will never replace it." They were nice about it, but it was clear that others have had issues with Bosch and the company doesn't take care of their appliances under warranty.

The good news - we did buy an extended warranty at the time of purchase. On the day the extended warranty kicked in we started a 3 month process to show the dishwasher was defective/unfixable. The repairman was helpful and within 3 visits noted that the unit was unrepairable. We received a check to replace the unit. We purchased and installed an LG dishwasher and all is well. Smell is gone, dishes are clean. The dishwasher has more space and has a soft food disposer (no more filter cleaning). Turns out it wasn't my water heater or hard water or too much oil or too little rinsing or the detergent.... All that stuff is the same and the LG cleans well and doesn't leave a rotten egg smell on the dishes.

The reason I bought the LG washer was I read a review where a guy talked about researching appliance companies from the standpoint of how they treat their customers after the sale. His research showed that LG treats their product owners great. I researched the LG web site and found a lot of great resources and confirmed several of the points this gentlemen made. Then I contrasted that to the ridiculous way Bosch treated my family and me.

In a nutshell - the Bosch dishwasher I purchased was defective and the bigger issue was Bosch as a company treated me and my family horribly as we were trying to fix and resolve the problem. My experience causes me to stay well clear of Bosch appliances.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely quiet and cleans well, July 3, 2011
I bought this model to replace a prior bosch dishwasher that lasted 13 years of everyday use. This model does everything my last model did and more. I rarely do any pre-wash on the dishes and I have yet to have one come out dirty (same with my last bosch). To say this is quiet is an understatement. If there is any other noise in the room like a refrigerator or talking you will not hear this unit run (be sure to install the two bottom covers along with the noise insulation thats provided). Its very quiet. Lots of adjustments in the rack as well as height and many wash options. The front controls are a big plus and something I was looking for rather than the hidden. Most of the time I use the quick wash (approx 30 mins) and that is all thats needed. Plastics don't dry but that was the case with my old unit as well, everything else dries fine though. This was also the #1 ranked unit in CR beating out some much more expensive models. I am quite shocked by the poor reviews here as virtually every review on other sites are excellent. Not sure whats up with that but mine has performed exactly as I expected. If something changes I always update reviews and will answer any questions if someone adds a comment that needs a response.

One of the other reviewers stated the bottom rack will not hold heavy dishes. Makes me wonder if they have their models mixed up. The bottom rack actually does not have rails but rides atop molded runners pressed into the stainless steel sides. I am not sure what kind of weight it would take to have the rack come off but surely the rack would bend before the sides give out. I can push down on it will a lot of force and its solid. I would think you could safely load 50 pounds of weight in the lower rack without any issues at all.

Update 5/23/2012

I am close to a year owning this and have had no issues. Still quiet and cleans like it did on the first wash. Use it 3 to 4 times a week. I use the powerball tablets as suggested in the manual. No negatives to report.

Update 3/16/2013

Still running like new. No issues !

Update 12/5/2013

Still going strong. No problems or issues.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Quiet, Washes Well. Capacity and Price May Be Factors., November 27, 2011
We've had this dishwasher just over a year, and I'm writing this review now because we finally figured out how to get it to dry dishes once washed.

First, it replaced an excellent LG (which we gave to our kids) because the LG was white and there seems to be some sort of law that you can't have a white dishwasher with a stainless steel refrigerator or range. The LG was the quietest dishwasher we'd ever had, often having to check it to make sure we'd turned it on. Well, this Bosch is comparable. It is extremely quiet in all but the "drain cycle." That's to be expected, and even that is quiet, well, as quiet as the LG and quieter than out old old GE.

We required the buttons be on the outside of the door, NOT on top so that they disappear when the door is closed. Believe it or not, this cut our choices in half. Another issue was the handle. In a galley kitchen (or not), we would not have a dishwasher with a handle that sticks out - even if you could have another dish towel hanging. We definitely wanted flush "handles" which, btw, is how we ended up with the Bosch counter-depth (flush) refrigerator.

The capacity is good, not great, one reason why I can only give it four stars. People talk about "holding place settings for 6," but they never mention what happens to those place settings when you add a pot or pan or a broiling rack or pan! But we're only two people and on a daily basis, this more than meets our needs.

Drying: Ah, drying. This has been a problem with many of our dishwashers. We've tried all the products for drying from Jet-Dry to a "cake" that was made to fit in the dispenser. We washed the dishes after dinner and let it go through the cycles and left the dishes and pots and pans to dry overnight. In the morning, there would still be spots that were wet though the dishes were dry and squeaky clean. Basically, we were running into the age-old problem on the lips of pots and the tops of cups filling with too much water for the machine to dry. Cups we dealt with by lying them on their sides, and that really worked. Pots or pans with lips we loaded on top when possible, and they were the first things we took out in the morning, and hand wipes the lips. And now - so we added 60 seconds to the unloading routine - all is well.

In the old days, dishwashers had a heating element in the bottom and did a better job of drying. But in the old days, you couldn't have a conversation in the same room as the dishwasher, they were so noisy. You learn to live with these things.

Washing, this gets 5 stars. Quiet, this gets 5 stars. Reliability, 5 stars. (Never a problem or repair.) Capacity and price ratio, four stars. Would we get another? Probably.

5.0 out of 5 stars SHE55M15UC Dishwasher, November 24, 2011
This is an exceptional unit. I have had KitchenAid, Bosch and Maytag dishwashers previously, and each successive unit seemed more quiet than the one before. This unit replaced a Maytag that just didn't clean well anymore after about 8 years of operation.

I was a little concerned about this unit not being a self cleaner as I didn't want food recycling back onto the dishes -- a problem I have had in the past.

So here is the scoop.

1. The unit installs easily. Be careful with the door top though on installation as that can get scratched if you need to "jimmy" the unit in (sometimes if you have hardwood floors that don't go all the way into the dishwasher bay this can be tricky).
2. This dishwasher cleans as advertised. It washes dishes without pre-rinsing, and ones that have one day dried food also. It is a superior washer.
3. This dishwasher is quiet. Wow, is it quiet. Of all the units I have had it is probably half as loud. I have always aimed for good quality units, so the others were not bad. This unit makes less noise than the 2 fish tanks I have in my kitchen dining area. It is that quiet. Great job Bosch.
4. OTHER: The unit has LESS water wands than previous generations of dishwashers. My Maytag had 4 wands. This unit has 3 (well 2 wands, and a sprayer assembly on the very top). I suspect they use less for higher pressure. Whatever it is, this dishwasher cleans. It works! Great job Bosch.
5. OTHER: The food waste filter has not been an issue. Most little food scraps are getting cleared from the washer. Also, the filter is not getting grimed with grease as I had experienced with a previous unit.
5. Negative: not a biggie, but the wine glass holding facility is a bit weak -- you need to be careful opening the upper tray if you have wine glasses, or they will move and potentially break (yeah, I broke one).
6. Negative: you do have some flexibility in installing the unit on how far "out" the door protrudes. If you install it protruding too much, then watch out if you use the counter top above the dishwasher as you may rub up against the on button. If this happens, you will need to adjust the unit farther in.

Overall, I highly recommend this dishwasher. It cleans and it is quiet. It looks very sharp in stainless steel. And you don't need to wash your dishes beforehand in order for it to work!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cleans Well and So Quiet I Question if it's Running...., December 29, 2011
I'll update this over the next few months, but after the first two weeks of using this Bosch my wife and I are nothing but pleased.

We have three boys who eat a lot and subsequently we run the dishwasher one or two times a day. The first time I ran this, I couldn't hear it at all and had to put my hand on it to verify it was running. Also opened it to make sure - water was dripping as typical when you open a washer mid-cycle. If it's quiet in the house, you can hear it running but barely. You can also hear when the washer is purging water before and after the rinse cycles through the drain but that's not bad either. But if you have the TV on or have kids in the house, you generally can't hear it at all.

But if it's quiet but doesn't clean, what's the point? We've had no issues with cleaning due to the washer. We have hard water in our area and the only issue we had some problems with spotting, etc. was when we didn't have the rinse agent in with standard detergent or using our usual special detergent. That was the same with any of the washers we or our friends have or have had.

Both the top and bottom baskets have lots of slots for things and at least 50% of them will fold down to accommodate whatever you are trying to wash.

Also, there's a timer to let you know how long the wash cycle has left. Not essential but nice.

Only issue we've had in two weeks is the door is extremely heavy (I believe a spring loose or missing). It has slipped or people new to using it have just let it drop. It goes fast enough I have worried about our dog. With the repeated drops the door has gone past horizontal. I scheduled a tech repair today and will update this once we see what normal should be.

But again, no issues with cleaning or sound. Both have been great for the first two weeks of use. You'd hope that'd be the case. Will update after we get the door squared away and again at the six-month mark.

--------------update on door-----------------
The door issue was as the comment from Lynn said - contractor screws that were too long. After the fix by Bosch (who's repairman said this was fairly common for appliances installed by contractors), the door is back to out-of-the-box condition.

New observations:
-the insulation on this thing is amazing. If the cycle is done running even two hours previous, the dishes and air inside is still really warm. I'm guessing once hot water goes in, it stays hot.

-drying dishes can be an issue if you run out of rinse agent or seem to run it on Auto Wash vs. Regular Wash. I'm going to keep a better eye on this as well.

-if you have any back issues, the bottom rack is extremely low to the floor. Likewise since the controls are on the door, there's more room in the top of the washer too. Again, lots of room for almost anything you could stick in it.

Again, overall satisfaction is high. We'll see where we're at in two more months.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware the Evolution, April 18, 2011
ViperDriver (Watertown, CT USA) - See all my reviews
Agree with other reviewers; flimsy construction.

My issue was the top faceplate. It is used, with a cutout in the middle, to open the door. After it pulled away from the frame spewing the control buttons all over the floor, I could see that it is actually plastic. It is held on, if that's the word, with plastic tabs that click into slots in the frame of the washer.

The tabs can not handle the repeated opening of the door. (Gee-whiz, why would a customer expect THAT Bosch?)

The tabs WILL break in time. Mine occurred just after the warranty expired.

ALL of the Bosch Evolution Dishwashers are like this. Flimsy construction obviously driven by cost constrained MBAs.

As always YOU the Customer are the Test Lab.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Honest Objective Review, July 24, 2011
OK I've read the other reviews and they are inaccurate, I have owned this dishwasher since 2009 and we use it if not every day, every other day. It is the quietest dishwasher you will own. It cleans well, if you have hardwater and no softner you will need to clean it monthly (any dishwasher cleaner sold in the grocery store does just fine). I have NEVER had a repair problem, my biggest complaint is with loading the bottom rack, if the weight is not balanced you will have a hard time sliding it in and out, which sometimes get frustrating. Compared to others in this price range I would recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quiet but needed repairs, January 14, 2010
We liked the quiet wash cycle but the motor went out in the first six months and we had to wait 3 months for a replacement part. Lower racks would not support heavy dishes and kept unhooking from bar. We can't wash heavy dishes on the bottom shelf because of this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with it so far, February 17, 2012
We have 2 dishwashers in our kitchen in order to catch the overload from our large family. I replaced a Maytag unit that finally bit the dust after almost 6 years. This Bosch is very quiet and cleans exceptionally well. We have been using it about a month now with no problems. All the dishes are clean. It wasn't hard to install and I liked the way the insulation was done on the outside. The electrical and water connections are in the front and my old one had water connections on the back so I had to make a trip to the hardware store to get a longer water line. Great dishwasher!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Clean, Very Quiet, Very Happy, October 5, 2011
crroal (Whitefish, MT) - See all my reviews
Installed myself. You will need a strain relief and power cord, and possibly an adapter to connect to your garbage disposal or pipe. The drain hose supplied fits up to 3/4". I needed 1". A $5 dishwasher drain hose adapter and a $1 3/4" galvanized steel pipe nipple solved that problem.

This thing is unbelievably quiet compared to our 8 year old previous 'quiet' model. You can easily carry on a conversation next to it. We have an open kitchen / living area that used to require turning up the television volume when the previous dishwasher ran...No More!

Dishes come out very clean. As others have said elsewhere, I think the Finish Quantum Powerball (sample provided) or another highly rated CR brand will make a huge difference in your results too.

The passive drying works extremely well. We will only have a few drops of water left on plastic.

I have seen the Sanitize light come on. It means that very specific conditions (time, etc as specified by the NSF) were achieved during the wash and dry. Note that the Sanitize light won't come on until the Drying cycle is complete, which is well after the Cycle countdown has reached '0'.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›