SHE6AF02UC
SHE6AP02UC

The Bosch SHE6AP02UC was advertised to be one of the quietest dishwashers in North America with a noise rating of 50 dBA, about the average for the interior volume of a modern automobile while idling. With the Bosch running, I can listen to my TV show and even fall asleep in the next room without being bothered by the dishwasher...
Published on March 20, 2010 by Gearhead Mania

1.0 out of 5 stars What's the point?
Published on September 17, 2011 by James A Sunkes Jr

4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and easy to use, with Bosch's reputation for electromechanical devices, March 20, 2010
This review is from: Bosch : SHE6AP02UC 24 Ascenta Series Full Console Dishwasher - White
SHE6AF02UC
SHE6AP02UC

The rack design and layout needs some slight improvement. There's some wasted space, but I could load up all of the dishes, pots, and utensils I use for an entire day. The plastic tray/bin is very versatile. The door latch can be quite tight, and the mechanism for the detergent can be a bit finicky. The jet dry rinse agent reservoir doesn't make a lot of sense because it is hard to tell if it is full or needs to be filled. There's a sensor that tells you if it needs to be refilled, but I couldn't easily tell the current level. The Bosch takes either detergent tablets or regular detergent.

The instruction manual is very bad. There are a lot of discrepancies in the models and features, and it is even harder when they basically state that "these features are dependent on the model" - great, so does my SHE6AP02UC or SHE6AF02UC have this or not?? My dishwasher was actually a SHE6AF02UC, and had "EcoWash" instead of AutoWash. Otherwise it was identical to SHE6AP.

The installation of the dishwasher was tricky. The water intake port faced the front, which makes no sense when most plumbing is from the bottom or from the back wall. I had to fabricate a converter using copper pipe and two 90 degree elbows so the water could be fitted directly from the rear. Bosch should have made the intake facing the rear or at least the side.

The exhaust or drain pipe is nothing more than translucent convoluted plastic tubing, and there's a filtration system that helps collect debris before it gets pumped out.

Bosch has a terrific reputation for making quality and reliable electric motors or solenoids. Bosch fuel injectors are used on practically every automobile on the road. Bosch electric pump motors are also commonly used in automotive applications. Their reputation stayed true when I ran this dishwasher. The vibration was non-existent and the loudest sound came from the water itself. The sweeper arms were virtually silent, and the pumps are extremely quiet during the draining and filling process.

The wash cycles are described in the manual except it does not describe how the SANITIZED system works. I found out by trial and error that you MUST use the Power Scrub setting (2.5 hours or so) in order for the SANITIZED LED to turn on. The last 40 minutes or so is a dry heat cycle where the element fires up to dry out your dishes and utensils. It helps accelerate the drying process. All of my dishes, pots, cups, and pans come out spotless. My complaint is that there's no easy way of adjusting the rinse agent quantity used for each cycle. You have to enter a special setting mode to change the dry heat option and rinse agent quantity. Basically you hold the RIGHT carat key (>) and the START button, then release the START button. The right carat changes between the dry heat (d) and the rinse agent ( r ) settings.

I used a variety of name brand detergents and they all seem to do a great job without leaving many spots as long as you apply some drying agent. The little pouches with gel worked well for me, although you really need to use Eco Sense or Power Scrub so the detergent is thoroughly rinsed.

Pros: Stout unit with lots of settings to choose from (2 hours+ to 30 minute quick wash), easy to use, vibration-free, extremely quiet, a pleasure to use.

Cons: Inefficient rack layout, instruction manual that has plenty of discrepancies, unintuitive installation procedure, the detergent tray doesn't lock as positively as I'd like.

Overall: 4/5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars What's the point?, September 17, 2011
James A Sunkes Jr (Huntsville, AL USA) - See all my reviews
This dishwasher is an unmitigated disaster. It is indeed very quiet, but if you didn't turn it on it would be even quieter and almost as effective. About half the time we open it after cleaning a load of dishes only to find the soap dispenser drawer hasn't opened. This means of course that the food on the dishes has not only not been removed, it has been steamed on. Won't buy another Bosch dishwasher again. Ours is one year old and we are already looking for a replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Dishwasher, November 21, 2010
The dishwasher looks very nice. It is very easy to load. There are a lot of options yet easy to use. It is very quiet in comparison to other dishwashers. My boyfriend didn't even know the dishwasher was running as he told me to start the already running dishwasher. I was a little confused when filling rinse aid as I didn't really know how much to add (I fill it to top of oval and shut rinse aid door), like someone else mentioned there is the light that indicates when you need to refill it. In regards to the manual just make sure you know which model you have purchased. I find the manual easy to understand although I don't really need to refer to it. I really like the quick wash option as I think I will use that most often. My dishes come out clean; however not 100% dry. Leave the dishes in the dishwasher well after the cycle has ended or some dishes and silverware will need a little towel drying.

1.0 out of 5 stars Should Come With A Complimentary Xanax Prescription, August 13, 2012
We bought this a couple of years ago to replace the one that came with our home, that was about 15 years old. We thought, "Ah, Bosch, surely this will be a model of efficiency and quiet operation, and we will perhaps even look forward to running the dishwasher!" Well, we were right about it being quiet, but efficient? I don't have enough middle fingers to express how this dishwasher makes me feel every time I use it. Now, granted, we are on a well, with a water softener, but our 15 year old dishwasher was more reliable than this thing - it was just very loud. I wish now I would have spent the money on an iPod to use whenever I ran the thing and saved myself some frustration. I basically have to wash my dishes before I put them in this, or they do not get clean. So it basically serves as a sanitizer, while I have to still do all of the work. And I am running it on the "Power Cycle" so you'd think there'd be some oomph behind that, but nooooope.

Also delightful is the failure of the electronic controls to respond as labeled. The "top rack only" button turns itself on (no, it's not a matter of bumping into it, because you have to press these buttons hard, usually several times, before they respond) and therefore shortens the cycle time. So then, I'll try to press and hold the Start button for 3 seconds, as instructed on the face of the machine, in order to reset it. No dice. Then I turn it off for a few minutes and try to reset it again. Nope. I go down to the breaker box in my basement and turn off the circuit to that part of the house for a few minutes, restore it, come back, nope. It is STILL stuck on a shorter cycle and will NOT reset.

Unfortunately it is not in our family budget at this time to replace this heap of turd machine, but when that time comes, I will avoid the Bosch brand like it is a leprous porcupine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Machine but Incompetent Company, June 1, 2012
It took Bosch technician 4 visits with changing functioning parts, and took me months communicating with Bosch in Germany and in USA to solve a trivial problem,that I could have easily fixed by getting the simple plastic part. While the engineers knew of the issue, they never brought it up to the technician.
The issue was that in time the plastic piece that separated the machine from the pump became loose, and stopped holding in its place when water pumped out of the machine; this, in turn, caused error E25 and water to stagnate in the machine.

May be the company is successful but none of its parts know what the other one does. The Engineers know the issues with the machines but don't tell the call center, the management, or the technician. Even among engineers they don't talk. Bosch technician called 3 times the engineers to see if they were aware of the problem, but not until the third call that he got the engineer who knew of the issue, that by the way was very common. It was only then that he was provided with the part, which is no more than 2"*2". But of course, the technician had to order it.
Now, if you are properly run company, and you know of recurring problem with your machine and know how to solve it, you'll make sure the technician has to parts with him, especially when the parts are so small that they barely take space. Apparently, companies prefer to waste money and then blame their inefficiency on labor cost.