2,555 Reviews

Published on November 20, 2010 by Richard Blumberg

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound and Comfort. Quality not so good
Published 21 months ago by Sheldon

5.0 out of 5 stars Clarity, Comfort, Construction, November 20, 2010
These are the sixth or seventh set of earbuds I've had for a succession of iPods and iPhones. I'm slightly hard of hearing, and I've gone for the 'phones that get best reviews for sound. Before these, the best I've had were the Klipsch s4i; those produce great sound, and good noise isolation, but I had to jam them so far into the ear canal that they got uncomfortable after a short while, or if I were sweating.

The Bose 'phones don't get quite so far into the bass as the Klipsch, but nothing I've ever tried beats them for clarity of overall sound. Nothing else even comes close. I find myself hearing lyrics clearly for the first time; the overall crispness and balance is absolutely amazing. I don't miss the pounding bass at all.

And I've decided, after wearing these for a couple of days, that noise isolation is over-rated. Sure, I can hear what's going on around me, but the same holds true when I hear music live, or listen over a speaker system. With the clarity of sound that Bose delivers, my attention is focussed on the music, even in a coffee shop where there are people talking at neighboring tables. I've even found that I can listen comfortably at significantly lower volumes and still distinguish the words and hear every riff and arpeggio distinctly.

And speaking of comfort. Wow! When I first put these on, I was sure that they were going to fall out, because I wasn't able to jam them into my ear canal. Didn't happen. These ear pieces sit most lightly, and they never budge! (I did find that the large tips fit my ears better and feel more secure than the medium tips that are on the ear pieces coming out of the box.) I can wear these for hours, and I feel no discomfort whatever. And because I'm listening at lower volumes, and the 'phones are not isolating me from my environment, I don't even have to take them out when I'm dealing with a cashier at a store or getting a grocery list from my wife.

Construction quality seems superb; the cables are thick and fairly stiff, so they don't tend to tangle. The "Stay Hear" tips clip into place, so that I can be virtually certain that I won't have the problem I've had with other earbuds (especially the Apple In-Ear units) that the tip stays in my ear when I pull the bud out.

The MIE2i handles the iPhone functions just fine, although, like with most iPhone headsets, it takes some practice to feel the inline controls with precision, so that you don't stop the music accidentally when you just meant to change the volume; double-clicking is just as sensitive and tricky as it is on other iPhone sets. Clarity at both ends is excellent, and the stiffness of the cables keeps the mike from rubbing on my clothes and generating noise.

The only negative thing I have to say about the Bose is that they are glaringly ugly. The cables are a bizarre black-and-white swirl; combine that unfortunate design decision with the fact that the shape of the buds and the stiffness of the cable causes the cables to stick out from your ear further than most earbuds, and the whole thing calls attention to itself and looks more than a little ridiculous. [Update: The cables relax over time, and though I still think that a uniform black (or white) would be more attractive, the buds don't seem nearly as ugly as they did when I first wrote the review. BTW, they are really, really durable; I use them all the time, and they are still sound and work just as well as they did when I bought them nearly three years ago.]

Still, if you're looking for great sound and awesome comfort in a pair of earbuds that you're likely to be using for a long time, look no further than the Bose MIE2i. Worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Bose headphones I have ever experienced, December 2, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Bose is well known in the music industry, mainly because they spend so much money on advertising and self promotion. This is why many non audiophiles purchase Bose. The price is a little higher and everyone kind of assumes "Bose is the best" so they save up their money and get whatever new product they have to offer, thinking it is the best, when many times you can get the same or better quality from other products for much less money. I'm sure some reading this will disagree with me, but this is my opinion and the opinion of many others in the audiophile community.

I say all this because I want to let you know that the Bose IE2 earphones are amazing. They are not just another over hyped Bose product. These earphones provide crisp, clear sound at all volume levels, and the fidelity was better than expected at this price range. I normally prefer over the ear (supra aural) type headphones, my favorite being Grado, a company that doesn't advertise but relies on word of mouth to promote their products (Basically the opposite of Bose). But over the ear headphones aren't realistic in all situations, like working out, or lying down, or when there is limited space. The IE2 headphones really shine because of the StayHear tips that go into your outer ear, keeping them secure even during vigorous movement.

The bass is ample, and doesn't cloud the overall sound as many modern earphones do. The highs are crisp and well balanced and it is always a pleasure to listen to music with these earphones.

A handy clip is provided to relieve strain on the speaker cable, which is relatively thick and sturdy. Overall build quality is good and after a couple months of use, I have not noticed any problems at al, and fully expect these earphones to last a long time.

Yes, I have heard better in-ear phones. Yes, they cost much more money. Expect to pay $200+ for anything that sounds as good as these. If you need earphones that will stay in your ear, just get these. Even $600 earphones will fall out when running if you don't get a perfect fit with the included tips.

So although I will never buy a Bose Wave radio or Sound Dock, I do wholeheartedly recommend these earphones. I was and continue to be pleasantly surprised each time I use them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set of earphones for the price, September 16, 2010
Length:: 5:00 Mins

Here is a quick unpacking and fitting review for the Bose Headphones. My apologies when my dog heard somebody walk in the house and started barking, I edited about 95% of that out.

I just got back from running a half-marathon with these in my ears the entire time. My first impression is that these were extremely comfortable. So comfortable, in fact, I pretty much forgot they were even there when the music was off during pre-race instructions. The other pair I had, that did not have the StayHear tips, were also comfortable, but this raised the comfort level just a notch.

Also, these were very stable. Usually when exercising with any headphones I have to press them into my ear as they shift with all the bouncing that I end up doing. Especially the in-ear, noise isolating ones that give me a headache after an hour of so of use. I did not need to do that ONCE with these headphones. They get in there, they stay there, and are very comfortable the entire time.

Everything about this is fantastic. The sound, from the lows, the mid-range, and the highs, sound great. When I listen to audio books, the speakers come across very rich and clear, almost like they are standing right next to me.

These are, without a doubt, my go-to headphones 90% of the time. The only thing I won't use these for are when I'm trying to block outside noise and only noise-canceling, over-the-ear headphones will work for that. Which is a shame because they block the noise but are nowhere near as clear sounding or comfortable. I just wish I could afford the Bose brand, but I can't justify the expense.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound and Comfort. Quality not so good, October 16, 2012
This review is from: Bose MIE2 Mobile Headset (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I have had 2 pairs of Bose MIE2's now. I will be on my 3rd soon. Both sets I have already had (Thank you Best buy for a $20 replacement plan) the jacket around the cable that leads into the ear bud where the flexible cord meets the hard plastic has come apart. Both pairs have done this now. I wear these earbuds for 6-8 hours a day. I love the comfort. I love the sound. A+ and standard Bose greatness there. The quality of the product is where I have a problem. I paid $130 for the ear buds and $20 for replacement plan. Right at 14-16 months both pairs had the same failure. I go to best buy and pay $20 a year to get replacements because I took them to the Bose store and after 12 months they will replace them for 1/2 off. Way to stand by your product Bose. If it wasn't for the $20 replacement plan at Best Buy I would never buy these again. For me both times the black/white jacket pulled out of the hard plastic ear bud and then separated so the bare wires were showing inside.

I love these earbuds but just plan on buying a new pair every 16 months because that is as long as mine has made it.

Update Sep 03 2013
- Pair 3 did the exact same thing next to the 3.5mm jack. It has now officially happened on a 3 pairs I have had in 3 different spots. Bose is suppose to be sending me replacements because these are only 8 months old.

Thanks

S

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Headphones I have ever owned, August 26, 2010
Peter Dykhuis (Grandville, MI USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These headphones are simply amazing. I have used Bose headphones before and they are always wonderful. Those were always the over the ear variety and honestly although they sounded great I did not like the feel nor did I find them practical. The price was always far more than I wanted to pay as well. That all changes here. Although the price is not in line with the bargain basement ear buds out there this set is so far above what you get that the price is more than worth the difference. The unique in ear ear bud stabilizer is a thing of genius and make in ear headphones a thing of comfort and improve consistency and quality of the audio experience.

Even though much more expensive than many other headphones I found the price to be one that I am OK to pay. These headphones have a remarkable range regardless of price. The bass is full and clear. The sound across the board is very unmuffled and distinct. I am very happy. This product is heads and tails above the standard buds that come with your iPod/iPhone and just about anything else on the market today.

Pros:
1. Fair Price
2. Great Sound
3. Great Range
4. Great Bass
5. Light / Comfortable / Stylish
6. Unique Design for in ear placement

Cons:
1. Cost make the set a bit expensive for all audio devices. I won't be buying for my kids ;)
2. I can't come up with two cons. This is an amazing product.

A great set of headphones that I couldn't be happier with. I hope they last me a very long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge Sound from these Little Guys!, August 24, 2010
Mermaid (The Atlantic Ocean) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I first opened the packaging I was a bit frustrated because it's not the "hassle free" packaging that I truly appreciate. You have to pull out the scissors to open this bad boy and be careful about not cutting yourself with the sharp plastic edges of the cut box. Fortunately, my experience with the BOSE IE2 ear buds gets better from there.

The Medium size, "StayHear" buds are in place when you get the earphones, and you have S, M, and L for both the StayHear and regular ear buds. I normally wear a size Small in other earbuds, so after trying on the Mediums that were already on, I tried on the Smalls. They both fit me, which was unusual for me. So after spending about 5 minutes trying out the various sizes and styles, I opted to stick with the StayHear Medium size ear buds.

They feel a little looser than the traditional ear buds I use from Skull Candy (those Smalls feel truly wedged into my ears when I wear those and it starts to hurt after a while), but they don't seem to fall out after just moving my head around in various directions.

I plugged the IE2s into my iPod first and the sound was much louder than with my other earphones, so I had to scale back the volume. This is helpful on an airplane and in the gym when there's a lot of background noise to have a higher volume ability. Then what shocked me was the actual sound quality. The bass was totally audible without being painful in my ears. The sound was crystal clear. I then switched over to use the earphones on my laptop and again, the sound quality was amazing and much louder at the same setting than my other earphones. I'm not one to listen to things very loudly, but it's still nice to have the ability to listen to it loudly should I so choose.

Aside from the actual earbuds/sounds: There's a little carrying case that comes with it. While it's a nice case, I don't see myself ever truly using it. It's boxy and takes up a lot of space. I'll probably end up just using the satin bag that comes with my old earphones to store them when not in use or traveling as it's much more compact. The wires of the earphones are black and white, which I found to be different. I'm used to the all white from Apple, or all black or all solid color. So I kind of like that it has a distinctive black/white to it...makes me feel kind of "hoity toity" walking around with earphones that are distinctive to being BOSE and not some other, less expensive brand.

I would highly recommend these earphones. They're a gem once you get past figuring out which size/style ear buds are right for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, December 28, 2010
James R. Spitznas (Purcellville, VA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I purchased these to replace the Sennheiser's that I had been using at the gym, cycling and skiing. BTW I will never buy another pair of Sennheiser's as the quality has been lacking in both of the different types that I have purchased -- both seemed to die right around the time the warranty expires. Ditto for the stock Apple buds; I've had two pair short out on me from sweating too much. Anyway, after considerable research these Bose headsets looked like they would fit the bill nicely based on all of the glowing reviews (you should also check the reviews for the MIE2). I love the Apple-specific controls on the MIE2i as I can easily adjust the volume while working out, or with the iPhone in my ski jacket.

While still very new, it seems as though the Bose will withstand the rigors of the gym, skiing and cycling (read lots of sweating and jouncing) and if they fail the warranty is a good bit better than average (1 year in store no questions, $50 to replace with new pair after that). A final note, these are earbuds, which is exactly what I wanted as they still allow me to hear what is going on around me. In the past, I have been willing to sacrifice the poorer audio quality associated with earbuds for the added safety of being able to hear what is going on in my surroundings. No more -- the audio quality on these buds have blown me away; the sound is rich with plenty of good bass. I'm thinking that these are keepers...

UPDATE: The Bose buds have not held up well under strenuous gym workouts (read sweat). After a couple of months the in-line controls would cease to work and caused my iPod to randomly pause, stop and skip tracks. The first time, I thought perhaps I had a bad unit and the second time I figured it must be that that are not sweat-resistant in the long term. Both times the Bose customer service was awesome in giving me a brand new pair, but I'm no longer using the Bose buds at the gym; I'm now using the Yurbuds which are less comfortable and don't have the same audio quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bose's signature sound works in its advantage, June 29, 2011
When you take 100 dollar earbuds the biggest hurdle is the technology. No matter how accurate the earbud WANTS to be, its going to be hindered by the cost. Earbuds are smaller than a penny, there is amazing technology inside of them, but they are limited by the competitive pricing.

Klipsch, Sennheiser, Shure, and a host of others have competitive products in the market. I am not a "nose in the air" audiophile, I am just a lover of music. My Current line up of Audio gear I have is the Sennheiser 555 for recording music, and Bowers & Wilkins P5 for listening to music around the house. My Audio gear is powered by my MacBook Pro, iPad 2, iPhone 3GS, and iPod Classic. I have no interest in dealing with amplifiers at this stage.

I tried and really enjoyed the Klipsch Image S4i. I specifically bring these up, because they are probably the closest competitor to the Bose IE2. The Klipsch were very accurate, the way it presented the music, sounded like they were much more expensive. My problem with the Klipsch's were that, no matter how hard they tried to present the sound in its natural way, the treble hissed, and gave me headaches. It was not noticeable in every song, but it sounded like I was in a 5th grade choir class learning about the importance of the "s" sound. The technology got in the way of an otherwise great earbud. I couldn't take it. Soon after I tried the Sennheiser IE7, but because i couldn't create a good seal, they ended up sounding terrible.

Enter the Bose IE2's.

I am far from a Bose faithful, I think their product lineup range from incredible to trash. Bose's most concerning quality is their custom EQ. In which they EQ their headphones and speakers to sound a specific way. Every company does this to some extent, but Bose has been known to do this far more prominently. The catch is, I think their custom EQ works to the IE2's advantage. While the BOSE IE2 is not natural and accurate, they manage to make these baby's sound far bigger and bolder than they are. Nothing sounds bad on these, nothing sounds tinny, or muddy, it comes off sounding warm and full. The Treble doesn't sound tinny, the mids are solid, and the bass sounds like they are being produced by larger headphones. These still have that polarizing Bose sound signature, but they are done in a tasteful and welcoming way.

The design is plastic, but its good looking plastic. With the black and silver accents, along with the alternating black and white chord it gives them a stylish and professional look. The most interesting part of the design is the "stay hear" tips. The tips fit around the outside of your ear, and the earbud peeks into your ear canal. Never going in, and most importantly never falling out. This design is simply.. refreshing. I am not someone who hates the feeling of IEM'S that go deep into your ear, but hate the feeling of not creating that all to important seal. With the IE2's you never have to worry about that seal, you get the perfect fit every single time. Its bliss, it really is. I walk around the park, and they never fall off, I sleep with them in nightly and they don't come out until I pull them out.

Overall the value of these are worth the asking price. They are reasonably priced, they are stylish, and they sound pretty darn good. I am sure you could find better IEM/Earbud's for the price, but in my opinion everything sounds good on these. Meaning that, for around 100 dollars you'll get a pair of earbuds that don't sound tinny, but sound full and fun. I purchased the Bose MIE2i, which were made for the iPhone in mind. I have not tested the microphone yet, but the music controls work perfectly on all of my Apple stuff. I will give these earbuds a solid 4 out of 5 . Why not 5/5 ? Because I know that there are better earbuds out there, heck the Klipsch S4i's had some attributes that were better than these, but overall I think these are the best choice for me, for the price point, and perform well with everything I have thrown at it. hopefully this review was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, by far, on its range, August 8, 2012
This review is from: Bose MIE2 Mobile Headset (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I got these a month ago. Did not sounded as expected out of the box, had to try all combinations of tips and finally decided that the small one on the left ear and the medium size on the right was the best fit. Then, a two overnight burn in... These became the best sounding earbuds or headphones I have ever heard. I own a pair of Klipsch Image S4a, Klipsch Image One, Audio Technica ATH M50, Polk 2000 and V-Moda Remix. Perhaps, only the M50's stand a chance against this Bose magnificent piece of equipment. Absolutely flawless on hi's, mids and lows, bass is just perfectly balanced and not as overwhelming as Bose's usually are.
Since I got them, I have been very hard on them, carrying them on my pocket, stepping on, leaving inside car with harsh sun and playing them for 6 or 7 hours daily at work....Use them on car also and the mic works flawlessly. Use Jay's Headset App for Android users and you will be able to use the one button control to do everything: play, pause, next track, previous track, volume, etc...
Just amazing. I am not a Bose fan and think that many of their products are overpriced, most of their Life Style products specially. I own a custom built KEF Home Theater and would never spend on any Bose for this matter. But this set is way over the top and worth every penny...Oh, and the comfort, it's just as almost listening to music ear naked, no earbud even gets close in this area.
If you get a defective set just exchange it, remember this can happen with any product and don't pound on the brand.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE JULY 2013

I still got this set and still working as like new product, outstanding. However, I must say that I have move on to higher end products like the Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro (closed back, for use at the office) and DT 990 Premium (opened back, for use at home), which just provide unparallel sound, especially the DT 990. As far as earbuds go, these Bose still are the best and the most comfortable the market offers, although now I used them only in the car and at the gym.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fatal Design Flaw for Exercising, August 15, 2012
Sorry folks...

Looks like Bose still hasn't resolved the microphone moisture issues (as of late July 2012). Just bought these two weeks ago and at first I absolutely loved them. The sound quality is excellent (especially compared to standard iPod earbuds) and the StayHear design works incredibly well - I use these when running and working out and I've never had a pair of earbuds that even comes close to fitting so securely.

After a week I went on a fairly long run and that's when things started going downhill. A couple miles into the run (I was sweating pretty good at this point), Siri started activating and asking 'How can I help you?'. Then my music started playing really fast and started skipping songs. At first I blamed my cheap eBay cover on my iPhone 4S, so I ripped that off and continued to run. Seconds later Siri started interrupting me again followed by my music playing at 2x normal speed... I was pretty frustrated at this point (I hate when people try to talk to me when I'm running!) and decided to switch off Siri completely, which fixed the issue for a few more minutes before the 'Voice Command' feature started popping up. ARGHH!!!

After my run, I decided to check out for any possible issues on the internet, and of course I saw that I'm definitely not the only one with this EXACT issue. Since I really didn't care about the microphone/volume control anyway, I decided to cover it up with black electrical tape so no moisture would get in the microphone. To my dismay, when I went to the gym last night and started running on the treadmill, Siri started up again, and again, and again... At this point I didn't even have a chance to break a sweat. I even took the tape off (just in case it was accidentally causing one of the buttons to be pressed) and still had the issue. I think people around me were pretty amused (or offended) because I couldn't stop swearing at my phone during my run. Needless to say, these fantastic earbuds are now completely worthless to me.

I'm returning these back to Amazon and just purchased the IE2 model since it lacks that #^%$& microphone (and is $30 cheaper because of it!). I'm really hoping the IE2's work out well since I would have GLADLY given these earbuds 5 out of 5 stars if it didn't have this fatal issue...

Rate and Discover Movies