5.0 out of 5 stars Simplest and Best 2.1 System!
I did extensive research before purchasing the Bose Cinemate GS II Series; but before I start my review I have a quick comparison to share by comparing a $300 panasonic system to the Bose Cinemate GS II: I previously owned a panasonic 2.1 system with built in up-convert DVD player which recently broke (lasted about a year). Sound quality on the Bose Cinemate GS II is...
Published on December 13, 2009 by CM

2.0 out of 5 stars Won't output any DTS content
Pros: Remarkable sound from Dolby 5.1 sources. Easy to install if you have an optical digital output from your HDTV

Cons: Won't decode any DTS-ES or DTS-HD signal, the latter being the most common for Blueray discs. You must step down DTS sources to PCM, losing most of the 5.1 mix and ALL of the magic this system offers with Dolby-encoded content.

I...
Published on March 13, 2011 by B. Kemper

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice sounding system - price imho is justified, March 22, 2011
This review is from: Bose CineMate GS Series II Digital Home Theater Speaker System (Electronics)
coming from a strong background of high end stereo and multi-channel systems (talking of brand names like proceed, martin logan and such) i highly recommend this really nice sounding 2.1 setup.

do not let those bose bashers come in your way of decision making on this unit! those people usually talking about brands like yamaha, hk, pioneer and others as far superior as bose products. not that those brands are crap but all of them are far away from being "high end" - bose btw isn't either!

i used to own a bunch of really, really great sounding equipment from real high end companies and spend a fortune on their electronics. let me tell you the truth, there has not been one product (receiver, speakers, cd transport, bluray player, amplifier) which has been fault free! those high dollar system always gave me hard times with sound and electrical problems and you have been in the need to firmware update on a frequent basis just to iron out any given issues.

to me, this has been simply anoying and i could no longer justify paying such a premium on devices not working properly.

my parents own a very old pair of bose 901 speakers which are working flawless for decades now, so i decided to give bose a try.

i do own an extremely nice pioneer hdtv and did not want to clutter my living room with speakers and cables for the sake of crash, boom bang from rear, side and whatever one hearts delight speakers,.... i decided to go the best sounding BUT simple route!

the bose cinemate gs series II has been the very best system i could find for my needs! it sounds awesome with any kind of media i throw at it (bluray, apple tv, itunes).

the only thing i would like to advice you is to buy speaker stands for the "gemstones".
the speakers benefit a lot from "hoovering" in the air and not beeing crunched in a bookshelf.

another beauty of this system is that it does not require a lot of space and looks good as a bonus also!

if not sure if this is a speaker system you may like, i would suggest to visit your local bose store and give it an audition,.... you most likely will not be dissapointed.

just my 2 cents

5.0 out of 5 stars The GS far more superior, February 11, 2011
Ok for about a month reviewing and going back and fourth between the Bose cinemate series 2 and the GS series 2 and reading review after review and hearing people say the 2 systems sound the same, Is a bunch of CRAP ! I went ahead and purchased the Bose series 2 from Best buy thinking I can save 200$ and get the same sound as the 800$ GS series. False, As soon as I hooked up the Bose series 2 I felt like there was something missing I felt like I was getting robbed of true quality sound. After numerous tests with Bluray movies and xbox 360 games the sound did not live up to the Bose brand. The Base was non existent and sound was terrible at high volume. SO, Ater 2 days I went back to bestbuy and returned it for the GS series. Yes its 200$ more but worth every penny. As soon as I hooked this bad boy up I heard a Huge difference in the base and sound it just sounded so much clearer and rich of sound. And even the speakers look more sleeker and stylish and it comes with a handy Bose universal remote. I am so happy I went with the Bose GS series, Trust me its worth every penny and dont listen 2 people telling you the 2 systems sound the same because its NOT true !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful sound for a simple solution, November 20, 2010
Michael C. Ruderman (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have owned Bose products for over 20 years, so to say the lease I am biased, but I also own other products form other manufacturers to be able to discern good sound quality enough to write a review based on this purchase, which to say the least, is excellent.

I bought this product based on simple criteria of having the best cinematic experience without all the speakers in every corner of the room. My living situation does not merit running wires and setting ups speakers (think rental space with limited room here). Also I am a rather simple person looking for simple, elegant solutions to live as well. Being said, I was not interested in recreating what I had in the past, being a receiver and a number of other pieces of equipment laying around for no better purpose at times other than to take up rack space (remember stereo receiver/tape deck/CD player/TV and DVD player setups - that was me in the past).

This product basically was designed for the likes of me and performs with superior results. My current setup is as simple as life gets...55" 3D LED, Blue Ray DVD player, and Bose system. One wall, limited space to spread out (by choice) and with the speakers literally sitting in the same table as the TV (you do not need the stands...the speakers come with little rubber foot-stickies), the theater experience is fantastic for what I use the system for, which is mostly DVD viewing for an hour or two each day.

Before I set up the sound system to the TV, I popped in various audio CDs into the DVD player and was extrmemly impressed with the sound quality coming from these little speakers and the Base box.

If you think about it, given the system is going for $799, you would have spent the same amount of money to component-ize another system the same, with or without the same quality sound...for those who are trying to justify the price. that being said, for the simpleton in me, it's worth it considering that I choose to purchase items with a lifespan of over 10 years. My last Bose system I gave away in perfect condition and it lasted me over 20 years!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have the $$, sound for size the Bose CineMate GS delivers, January 17, 2013
Wade Bloom (Fargo, ND USA) - See all my reviews
The Bose CineMate GS Series II delivers great sound in a very small package. It brings those movies at home to life.

I went through 2 HDMI switching receivers and tried several solutions for wireless rear speakers. For some it just isn't worth all the universal remotes, wires and other joys that come with maintaining a full 5.1/7.1 system. I scrapped my whole system and just used the TV speakers for a few months. Call it simplifying. Call is cleansing of the ears. During those few months I researched the best 2.1 system that didn't require a receiver. The Bose CineMate is the clear winner. I was ready for great sound again.

I have a 60" Sharp Aquos 3D LED TV. The Bose CineMate GS sounds amazing. Can it match a full 5.1/7.1 system in sound? No, but it still sounds great.

My Dish Hopper remote learned the Bose remote code (1933) and adding it to my system was essentially invisible, except that I get great sound again. The two GS speakers are tiny and require very little space. Just keep them at least 3-4 feet apart.

With anything, don't buy it if you can't afford the $799 price tag. I would rather pay more up front than be unsatisfied with a soundbar that was $300 cheaper. Having listened to them both, I think it is worth the $200 to go with the "GS" model over the standard Series II package.

Setup is very quick. The optical cable provides the best "pass-thru" sound from your DVD, Satellite box or other device.

I am very happy with the Bose system. Do your research, read reviews and feel confident about spending the money on this system. Worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars SOLID!!! GREAT SOUND!, November 25, 2011
I just purchased these speakers in the last 3 weeks. Easy set up. I replaced my 5.1 sound system, which was very good. As a 2.1 system, I am very happy, but do take the time to work with your speakers to optimize the sound. If it is not quite sounding like what you heard in the store, there may be a reason.

In my case, check your HDTV sound settings!!!

What I mean is your bass and treble settings. My TV controls the output in both volume and sound quality. If you have your TV set at a mid-point setting for bass, and for that matter anything else, that will very definitely affect the sound output on your BOSE. You are only getting half the sound quality, half the volume. Crank those TV settings up, and control volume and bass with the BOSE remote and sub-woofer volume control.

Again, this is an excellent speaker system. Solid equipment and may well be my last sound system.

I hope I have been helpful. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars BOSE is the BEST, April 2, 2012
I had the Cinemate and let me tell you I was very happy until I had a problem with it.. when piano notes were playing I was getting some kind of feedback noise at peaks.. so I took a chance with the GS.. I heard some stories that there's not much of difference.. well there is a difference and I value it.. The GS is much richer in sound and it can handle higher output.. but don't let the cinemate fool you.. It can crank.. I owned speaker cables that cost more than both of these systems put together and I could honestly say I wish I new about the GS sooner, I would have saved thousands of dollars. That should sum it up. Don't be misled by the audiophile hype I was one of them. Thank God no longer.. The so called hi-end audio label is 90% of a total waste of money and most of those set ups were so far away from being tonally accurate. Thank you so much Bose and I am sorry I didn't listen to myself and purchase a Bose set up a while ago but like some people say things happen for a reason. BUY IT you will not regret it.. and one more note.. If you have a cheap source.. meaning a cheap dvd player or what ever you choose it will not be the GS's fault or the Cinemate.. The better the source the better and more amazed you will be.. A decent dvd player like even spending 80 bucks on one will rock your socks but it gets better when you do your own research.. that's what I love about Bose, mostly everything I play with it even a 40 mp3 player sound exceptional to keep it on for good.. and again buy it.. Its POWERFUL.. In my heart felt opinion you will wind up keeping it. :) I thought I would never say Bose is the best but it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars GS Series II: Little System, Big Sound, January 2, 2011
I've spent much of the holidays attempting to find a home theater system for my girlfriend. After listening to numerous surround sound systems and reading up on reviews, I decided I to build a system from scratch; however ran out of time since this was going to be a gift.
After reading the reviews from Amazon and back to the audio store I decided on Bose. After narrowing the margins by price, I decided between their Cinemate Series II and GS Series II. The differece from the series II and the GS is very apparent as far as sound quality(and the $200 difference of course). I liked the fact the GS comes with a fully-programmable remote compared to the little four button remote included with the series II(I also seen on one review you can acquire the fully programmable remote from Bose for $30...if you are debating on the two). The GemStone speakers are more crisp and clear where as the series II is more deep-toned. Either way, the quality of the sound from the GS is amazing and found no distortion when the volume is maxed out. I decided the $200 was worth spending with the GS Series II.
Installation is "idiot proof" with the owner/install guides and connections to the acustimass/speakers/module. Setting up the remote to the Xbox, DVD, TV and DVR was simple as well. A code book is included with the system. An optical/AV wire is included as well as batteries for the remote which made me happy I did'nt have to run back to the store compared to other systems.
Overall my girlfriend and I are very pleased with Bose and their Cinemate GS Series II system...Although the sound is fabulous in our living room and this system adapted very well with everything else, I give it 4 out of 5 due to the ridiculous price. However, nothing I have heard compared close to Bose and its Cinemate GS Series II.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love My Bose Theatre System!!!, January 29, 2013
I just love my Bose home theatre system. No, I never owned Bose gefore. Yes, I read the reviews and was mixed in the beginning. I had a Visio 5.1 sound bar system with sub woofer and 2 rear speakers. I loved that system very much; or at least I thought I did. It did sound good and I could hear sounds coming from all around, though some sounded kind of fakey. Ad at times the sound would muttle if you had it too loud. Well, it broke down on me within 14 months and I fell out of love quickly.

I bought myself the Cinemate II system ( the one w/ the smaller remote) at Costco and it came with the speaker stands. Putting the stands together took the most time, but hooking the system up was quite fast. I'll just say this thing sounds very, very awesome. You don't get direct sound behind you but at times you feel you do. The sounds from this system is crazy good. I have a 46 inch Panasonic it it sounds perfect. The t.v. without the speakers sound good too, but when you power on your Bose, rich full sounds seem to come from nowhere. Conversations are totally clear. I read some reviews saying you have to turn up sound during talking, and then down when the music comes on. That's COMPLETELY FALSE. That sounds like a hater talking if you ask me. The speech is clear. The music is clear. And your room is clear of clutter.

I can play a movie or a music cd and can hear it clearly just about anywhere in my house...upstairs included. Pandora sounds too awesome that I listen to it much of the day. I think you'll be very happy with this system, or the GS II; whick ever you buy. Trust me when I say you can hear EVERYTHING when watching a movie or tv, even the background speech in the background like in a airport or park. Sports is a treat when you have your system turned on. Sometimes you hear things you're not meant to hear like players and coaches cursing in the back ground....this system picks it all up.

My only regret about this system is that my lady won't let me turn it up as loud as I want when she's here. When she's gone, I give myself a treat and turn it up on movies like Avengers, Predators, Battleship and The Dark Night...man the Dark Night was...WOW!! Heck, it even makes the music into to news sound good. So what I'm saying is that this system is WELL worth the money. Don't believe the bad hype. If you're looking for a system that will for sure please you, and look good in your home, you found it.

Now. If you are one of those audiophile people or want perfect sound for each type of sound or music format. Most music cd's will play fine as they are. Some movies may be formatted in different ways like dolby, True Sound and other formats. Bose system will usually pick up the format or convert it. Or if you wish, you can go to the audio section on your dvd menu and change things on there like bitstream or pcm. You can play around with it or let Bose do the work. If you have a Panasonic, do this: hit home on your dvd controller, scroll down to 'digital auido output', choose ' dolby d/dolby d+ truehd' (all will show on the same command line). Then selrct bitream. Then go down to 'dts/dts-hd' which will be the next one down and select bitsream again. Listen to music and movies. Pick which sound you prefer and bingo. Sometimes I switch them up, but lately I prefer the bitstream sound. Its good anyway you choose but if you're picky or like to play with your menu's, it'll be fun.

Have a good day.

Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars over 3 years, still sounds amazing!, February 5, 2014
I wouldn't go so far as to call myself an audiophile and I don't know many technical audio terms, however I do find that I am not so easily satisfied or fooled by mediocre sound quality as much as most people (I can't stand to listen to any Beats by Dre products). So I can say that, for what this product is, and for what it does, it is nothing short of amazing. Yes, these are still relatively expensive, but think about what you are getting. This is a 2.1 system that truly sounds like 5.1 surround sound. The way that these speakers bounce audio off the walls will make it sound like something is behind you when it's meant to be. I've had other people say that I've wasted my money (I bought this years ago at $750), then show me their true 5.1 or 7.1 surround systems that they bought for a couple hundred less. In the beginning I listened to their sets and I thought to myself, "wow, their less expensive system sounds just as good as mine, maybe they're right." Then the voice of reason inside my head chimed up and said, "hey stupid, you only have 2 speakers and a sub, which makes it super easy for cable and speaker management, while they need to physically place multiple speakers all around the room and have wires running everywhere, and don't forget about their extra receiver/amplifier." What you pay for with this system is compactness (wow that's really a word) and the ultra style/innovation that is Bose, without sacrificing big theater sound. You will not get any distortion by turning it up loud (well as loud as I can handle anyway, which is a bit less than really loud). There is a dial on the back of the spectacular Acoustimass Module (subwoofer) which I have to keep at half or less because the bass has too much boom for me and I feel like I will break it. I did, however, do a little stress test, by turning the subwoofer up to full and the volume almost to full and listening to it for a while (while covering my ears). Then I returned it to normal room filling volume and noticed that there was no lack in quality of sound or audible indication of damage. After years of using this system, I still get really immersed in the action while watching epic 3D blu-ray movies like the Avengers or Man of Steel. Listening to high quality music with these speakers also gives me the same feeling of immersion, just like breathing in an atmosphere of audio greatness. All in all, you get what you pay for, which in this case is not a bad thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with the purchase, April 1, 2012
All the haters told me not to buy this, but I took the plunge and couldn't be more pleased. Could you get better sound quality for $799? Yes definitely, yes. But you are getting more than just a set of good sounding speakers with this purchase.

First all, gone are the days of having to deal with an amplifier and multiple connections which makes the wife happy. You are paying a premium price for an easy setup by being able to connect directly to your tv.

Second, the included remote is great and worth more than $30 in my opinion. I would have paid $100 for it. It controls my tv, Directv, Xbox, Netflix and iPod. Seamless integration with one remote.

Third, sound quality is great. I hear so many different sounds in movies and Xbox games that I didn't hear before. The weak spot with a setup like this is going to be the midrange loss, and with this setup I really hardly notice it. The gemstone modules seem to be quite an improvement over the cube speakers that have given Bose sound such ridicule over the years.

After researching for months, I am a very happy with this purchase.

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›