5.0 out of 5 stars Simplest and Best 2.1 System!
I did extensive research before purchasing the Bose Cinemate GS II Series; but before I start my review I have a quick comparison to share by comparing a $300 panasonic system to the Bose Cinemate GS II: I previously owned a panasonic 2.1 system with built in up-convert DVD player which recently broke (lasted about a year). Sound quality on the Bose Cinemate GS II is...
Published on December 13, 2009 by CM

2.0 out of 5 stars Won't output any DTS content
Pros: Remarkable sound from Dolby 5.1 sources. Easy to install if you have an optical digital output from your HDTV

Cons: Won't decode any DTS-ES or DTS-HD signal, the latter being the most common for Blueray discs. You must step down DTS sources to PCM, losing most of the 5.1 mix and ALL of the magic this system offers with Dolby-encoded content.

I...
Published on March 13, 2011 by B. Kemper

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 433 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful sound for a simple solution, November 20, 2010
Michael C. Ruderman (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bose CineMate GS Series II Digital Home Theater Speaker System (Electronics)
I have owned Bose products for over 20 years, so to say the lease I am biased, but I also own other products form other manufacturers to be able to discern good sound quality enough to write a review based on this purchase, which to say the least, is excellent.

I bought this product based on simple criteria of having the best cinematic experience without all the speakers in every corner of the room. My living situation does not merit running wires and setting ups speakers (think rental space with limited room here). Also I am a rather simple person looking for simple, elegant solutions to live as well. Being said, I was not interested in recreating what I had in the past, being a receiver and a number of other pieces of equipment laying around for no better purpose at times other than to take up rack space (remember stereo receiver/tape deck/CD player/TV and DVD player setups - that was me in the past).

This product basically was designed for the likes of me and performs with superior results. My current setup is as simple as life gets...55" 3D LED, Blue Ray DVD player, and Bose system. One wall, limited space to spread out (by choice) and with the speakers literally sitting in the same table as the TV (you do not need the stands...the speakers come with little rubber foot-stickies), the theater experience is fantastic for what I use the system for, which is mostly DVD viewing for an hour or two each day.

Before I set up the sound system to the TV, I popped in various audio CDs into the DVD player and was extrmemly impressed with the sound quality coming from these little speakers and the Base box.

If you think about it, given the system is going for $799, you would have spent the same amount of money to component-ize another system the same, with or without the same quality sound...for those who are trying to justify the price. that being said, for the simpleton in me, it's worth it considering that I choose to purchase items with a lifespan of over 10 years. My last Bose system I gave away in perfect condition and it lasted me over 20 years!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing short of amazing, March 24, 2012
I bought the BOSE CineMate GS II at Best Buy just yesterday. After $150 gift card & $30 in Reward Zone Rebates, it came out to be $680 out the door. Let me start off by saying that I was originally there for the 5.1 Sony system. After hearing a couple of BOSE systems, I realized that I would regret any Non-Bose purchase very quickly. After splurging on a 55" LED 3D HDTV, I wasn't about to go 'half way' on the audio.

Previous reviewer on here said "Save $200 and buy the Bose CineMate Series II". Let me tell you that Best Buy had both of these and my girlfriend & I were looking at the CineMate II, as well. But after a side by side demo comparison of these two systems with the same exact Best Buy Demo sound CD, although $200 cheaper, the CineMate II sound quality was noticeably inferior to the CineMate GS II and we both noticed it immediately. So purchasing a $599 Cinemate II that sounded more like the $331 Sony system was not a good bargain. Paying an extra $200 for a system that sounds like a thousand dollar system was.

The Bose CineMate GS Series II came the option of two different connections to your TV / Cable provider. A red/white standard RCA coaxial component audio connector & an Optical Audio Cable (aka Toslink Fiber Optics). If your home theater system connects only via RCA cable, save yourself some money by buying a cheaper, lesser quality sound system, for you will never get the full benefits of this BOSE system.

Bottom line, if you want a surprisingly powerful 2.1 sound system that is going to absolutely blow your mind without spending thousands on unsightly bulky speakers that take up square footing from your living room space, this system is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, limited sound system, September 7, 2010
PGH (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
I'm sure that there are lots of great speaker systems that sound as good as this fantastic system. I doubt that they also look as good in your living room. I did a lot of research before deciding to get this system, and have been extremely happy with how it sounds and looks it since it arrived. The only weird thing about it is that the inputs are RCA and optical, which are both incredible outdated and make it difficult to have a lot of inputs go directly to the system (e.g., airport, ipod dock, tv, etc.).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Mini-home theater, February 17, 2012
We wanted to replace our large 5.1 sony system with something more desecrate. I must say, this system is wonderful. The sound is clear and full. In our living room, a Bass setting of about 50 % provides a rich sound without sounding too low. We are not audio experts but I have been involved in music performance for much of my life in School, College and church. I must say that the sound is great. It was a little pricy but we are very happy with the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of sound in a little package, January 10, 2010
Very simple to set up. I have this system connected to a 52 inch Samsung HDTV. You won't notice a great deal of difference watching TV but this system shines when playing music from my Itunes collection and watching Blu-Ray movies. The difference here is dramatic. I wanted a small form factor without buying a digital receiver and running wires all over the room. The GS fits the bill. It's too expensive but I'm happy with the results.

4.0 out of 5 stars $200 difference, December 27, 2009
At local Bose store yesterday I listened to both the Cinemate Series II & the GS model, utilizing the very same scene of the same CD of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Not an audiophile here but there is clearly a difference between the two. The Series II seems to have a deeper sound and the GS seems to be more crisp. I tried to listen for as many sound effects as I could pay attention to during the scene and what I noticed in particular with the GS that I did not notice with the cheaper version were the Kraken's suction cups as it climbed up the ship's side.

I'm not a real technical person so I don't know that one system is better than the other or worth an extra $200, but perhaps the choice might be made upon taste, depending on whether you prefer a deeper or a crisper sound. Either one, I thought, was pretty amazing, and perfect for the small (10 x 10-foot) den where I've set up the flat screen TV.

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected better design and quality, December 26, 2013
Amazon Customer "drummermom" (Long Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Pros:
Great BOSE sound with TV, streaming video, DVD player. Good for music too.
Bi-directional front speakers have surround sound effect if speakers are facing walls correctly.
Can adjust subwoofer volume separately from other speakers (bass level can be adjusted, which is important to me since I live in condo).
Can connect via digital autio (optical cable) to TV source, and can connect via analog (red and white wire connectors) to second source (such as turn table).

Cons:
I purchased this system to replace my Harmon Kardon/Infinity speaker surround sound system. That system was wonderful, but I gave it to my son and decided to get something more simple with fewer wires and cables, since it is difficult to hide surround sound speaker wires in a two story condomenium (and I have fewer things to plug in an AVR system now that he moved out).

I was also surprised to find out that this system does not use normal speaker wires and subwoofer cables like you would expect from a home theater system. I was also surprised that the speakers do not attach to the interface module that sits near the front of the TV. Instead, these electronics are in the subwoofer (called the "Acoustimass Module"). I advise you to look at the Owners guide on the Bose Website before purchasing it to make sure it will work for your media set up at your home: [...]

If you look at the advertised picture which shows the back of the system components, you will notice that the Acoustimass Module/subwoofer has two serial ports as well as the power cable port. One of the serial cables (called the speaker cable) is 15 feet long and separates at the far end to plug into each large connector on the back of each speaker. So, there can only be a distance of 15 feet between the subwoofer ("Acoustimass Module") and the most distant speaker. If the speaker sits on a console and is within three feet of the TV, then this will allow for an ok subwoofer placement. If the cable has to make any turns or needs to go up a stand, then the subwoofer ("Acoustimass Module") will need to be very close to the TV, which is not good. If you planned on running speaker wires through small speaker wire holes in your media cabinet, forget it. This system will require 2" holes large enough for the speaker cable connectors.

Also, there is a cable permanently attached to the center of the interface module (not shown) which attaches to the other serial port on the subwoofer ("Acoustimass Module"). The length of this cable is not shown in the specs, but the lenth of this wire has not been a problem for me.

Although I love the sound of this system, this design makes optimal subwoofer and speaker placement impossible, unless you have the exact set-up that is shown in the advertised picture. Even then, that picture is very disceptive because it doesnt show the cables at all, and I am pretty sure the speaker cable would not be long enough to avoid a hanging cable). If you planned on placing the subwoofer near the adjacent wall using a small easily hidden subwoofer wire, forget it. Two large cables have to go from the speakers and interface module to the subwoofer, so it cannot be very far away. And remember that the power cord also attaches to the subwoofer. I want to have hidden cables and optimal speaker placement, and this system desigh makes that impossible for me. It would have been nice to see the cable system in the advertisements so I could decide if this system would work in my home. This has been a huge inconvenience for me, causing me to have to alter expensive furniture, and is the reason for the three stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound in a small package, February 7, 2011
EDIT: Got a response back from Bose yesterday. Their customer support sent me two codes, the latter worked for me. Here is the email text in case anybody else has this problem:

"Try codes: "00858" under CBL-SAT brand "Motorola" or "01998" under V-ACC brand "Motorola""

I finally decided that I'd had it with the built-in TV speakers, and purchased this system. I shopped around for about a month before finally settling on the CineMate GS Series II. I opted for this because it didn't require me to run wires all around my living room. I also figured that if I'm going to go for a 2.1 system without true surround sound, I should get the maximum benefit from the smallest package possible and go Bose.

Pros:
This system is easy to setup and takes up very little space. The sound is great, and plenty loud enough for my smallish living room. So far I've played music, movies, and video games on my television and have been pleased with the results. Turning down the subwoofer at night is a must as it tends to noticeably vibrate the upper floors of my house. All wires, batteries, etc. come in the box so you don't need to buy any accessories to get it up and running.

Cons:
There are absolutely no options for tweaking the sound other than a knob on the back of the sub, which only changes the sub level. Personally I don't have a need for more than that, but audiophiles more demanding than I will miss that sorely. The universal remote doesn't have a code for my U-Verse cable box. I have a support email out to Bose, and am currently still waiting to hear back. Only has two inputs, one optical and the other is the usual RCA red/white. I have an optical out on my TV and I run all my HDMI cables through it, so again, not a con for me personally but could be for others.

Overall:
I'm extremely pleased with this system. The sound is as excellent as one would expect from a Bose system. While it's not as full featured as other systems at this price range, it more than meets my needs in sound quality. I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't want a complicated setup, or lots of wires coming out from behind their TV. It's a little pricey as all Bose products are, but in this case I firmly believe you get what you pay for. This system won't meet everyone's needs, and while it's a great set of speakers, it falls a little short of a true surround sound home theater system.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great 2-1 speaker system, December 31, 2010
At first I was turned off by the price, Bose sets the price and that's it...!!!
Once I heard the system in the store I kept coming back, comparing it to others.
Didn't want another 5-1 system, had a Panasonic and had to much base and distortion so sound wasn't clear to me, I'm older so thought it was me, then my wife who has good hearing started to complain also.
This system is easy to set up, but what it was designed to do for a 2-1 system it does well...sound is clear and sharp...realistic.
Was amazed by the sound quality of this system...its looks were deceiving.
Now I don't have all the speakers all over the place, just this system neat and clean looking, that does the job it was designed to do well.
Very happy with this system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Sound - Amazing!, September 8, 2013
The sound quality is amazing. They are loud and clear. The bass can be controlled by a dial on the back of the woofer, so you can boom like a thug in a lowrider, or you can keep it in the mid-range as intended (in movies). Installation is a piece of cake and takes five minutes.

Make a note to turn it on using the Bose remote. I thought mine was not working, but it was because the little box that you plug the optical cable into has to be turned on with the remote (there are no external buttons for this). Of course, you can program your cable or sat remote to control it, but until you do, you need the Bose remote for power and volume.

Football games and action movies sound like you are in them. Watch the shootout scene of the Matrix when they go through the lobby of the building to get Morpheous. It sounds better than the movie theater.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 433 | Next ›