4.0 out of 5 stars Consider the total cost of ownership
I've owned these speakers for 2 months now and have a better perspective. Let's get down to brass tacks because the other reviewers have said most of the key points well.

If you are someone who goes "spec crazy" and counts Watts and diameter sizes, keep browsing. I personally listen to notes and not numbers and these speakers are awesome to me.

The...
Published on March 16, 2012 by S. Nedea

1.0 out of 5 stars I recommended it at first, but not any more...
Published on October 2, 2011 by Peter A. Leman

1.0 out of 5 stars I recommended it at first, but not any more..., October 2, 2011
This review is from: Bose CineMate 1 SR Home Theater Speaker System (Black) (Electronics)
I purchased the Bose Sound Bar as an alternative to a 5.1 Surround System. Candidly, I had gotten to the point where form became more important than function. Yes, the purest of audiophiles will tell you that a soundbar just can't emulate true surround sound - and they might be right. But that wasn't important to me. I wanted a clean/professional look, without wires, that could deliver excellent quality sound.

After three days of use, I highlighted the following:

Pros:
- Very easy to set-up and install.
- Beautiful look, compact, and unassuming.
- Powerful room filling sound (think Avatar).
- Nice to have a Bose product sitting in front of the TV.

Cons:
- Cost - a little on the high side for some people.

All in, I felt really good about my purchase. That said, after more regular use, watching TV and Movies, I started to notice one important weakness in the unit that troubled me:

The unit does an incredible job of projecting background sounds that you never would have heard through normal TV speakers. Honestly, it takes your viewing experience to a whole new level. However, human voices DO NOT project out nearly enough to compete with other sounds coming from the soundbar. As a result, I found myself constantly turning the volume on the unit higher to hear what they were saying. Of course, this also increases the ambient sounds also. Without even realizing it, both my wife and I found ourselves commenting that we had to keep the volume up so much that it began to make our ears ring (for context, we are not old farts complaining - we are in our 30s!). Doing so, also resulted in a constant game of volume up/down during certain scenes.

Secondly, and to the same point, the Bose focus on simplicity is actually a drawback, as there aren't any settings that let you adjust the mix of sounds to solve for this issue. The only option is to increase/decrease the volume and base.

One might think that you could use a combination of the TV speakers and the soundbar, but there is a split second difference between the two making an even worse echo sound.

After one week of use, we are already finding excuses not to use it. Disappointing, considering my love for Bose products and the investment I made in the unit. Bottom line: Know what you are getting in to. If I could to it all over, I would not have purchased this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Consider the total cost of ownership, March 16, 2012
S. Nedea (Houston, Texas) - See all my reviews

The Good..
1. Unexpected and superb surround sound in an medium to small room. Perfect for apartments, master bedrooms or dens. I can hear birds, airplanes and dogs barking and I instinctively look towards my window or door in the house, thinking I'd left a door or window open. Nope - it's the surround sound coming at me from all angles in my living room. It's actually the movie. Awesome!
2. Minimalism in wires and wireless Acoustimass (Sub-woofer) module. This makes it wife friendly, as she's sick of seeing wires running all over the house. Note: When wife approves the battle has been won!
3. Simple setup, great packaging - I would say over packaged. Reminds me of Apple product packaging. It's obvious Bose has hired a packaging engineer to ensure their products are packaged in a specific and intuitive way to keep their products in pristine condition.
4. Quality build and solid feeling product. Piano black surface makes this the sexiest looking piece in the living room. The remote feels like a tank, and like it can be dropped from a 10 story building and survive the fall.
5. Acoustimass (Sub-woofer) module is a new generation/model. provides surprisingly good sound for it's size. The engineers at Bose have figured out a way to do more with less. I find myself taking a shower and have to turn off the water because I hear noises like someone is breaking into the house. Nope, it's the bass from the sound system.

The Bad and the Ugly...
1. No iPod dock, or an ability to purchase one. While it is possible to hook up an iPod, it is not convenient.
2. No Bluetooth integration. This is a shame, as other product lines (Bose SoundLink) do have Bluetooth integration.
3. Remote uses infrared technology. As seems to be the trend right now, this tech will be obsolete in 5 years. A Bluetooth remote would have been nice.
4. Remote buttons: The volume button and channel button on this remote are switched around when compared to the CineMate Series II digital home theater speaker system. This may not seem like a big deal, unless you own both products and switch from one remote to another, you'll constantly hit the wrong buttons when trying to change the volume/channel. I have no idea which genius minds at Bose decided this idea would be a good one, but hopefully he's been redeployed to work in the room with the red stapler.
5. The Acoustimass (Sub-woofer) module is a new generation/model. To that end, it is smaller than it's sister CineMate Series II or even the Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System. Yes, the computer speakers that Bose makes has a larger 'sub woofer' than this Home Theater Speaker system. Visually, this surprised me.

As you weigh the cost of the product consider the total cost of ownership over the 10 or more years that this product will last you. Consider the satisfaction you will have knowing you didn't settle for a product that cost a couple hundred dollars less. And that you'll never wonder "Gosh, how would the Bose sound bar have been instead?". Sleep sound at night knowing that you are backed by stellar, US based support. And should you need to send it back for a replacement, they will email you an UPS shipping label to send it back to them. Will Yamaha or Sony treat you this same way? Or will you have to foot the bill on shipping a large and heavy speaker system to their warranty department? Consider the brand name is a conversation piece in your living room and 99% of the people will comment on how surprisingly great this product sounds for it's size and the way that it looks. Consider all of these facts and at the end of the day, I guarantee you will find that this product is actually a bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Between a rock and a hardplace; the right reasons to get this, March 11, 2012
While I did not buy this on Amazon--I actually thought I could only get it from BOSE directly--I felt compelled to write a review this based on the #1 negative review.

If you have any of the larger, thinner type TV's of the last few years, you have three choices.
1. Simply use the two built in 10-20 watt rear and downward facing speakers... UGH!
2. Do the work for a true 3.1 or 5.1 system. Notice I ignored the 2.1, more on that later.
3. Use a high quality sound bar system.

I think most people agree. The built in speakers are garbage. To prove the point, most genuine home theater TV's are actually Monitors and have no speakers. This brings me to point #2. Take the KURO line of TV's as an example of the Monitor TV I mentioned. This is what I paired with a 5.1 surround system. The audio system was nearly as much as the TV, and that is because I did what I could to avoid spending 2x the TV cost in Audiophile grade components. The one lesson I truly learned in this. CENTER CHANNELS ARE KEY. That is why I also mentioned a 3.1 and not a 2.1 system. Some people might not realize this, but a 2.1 channel is only going to be a louder, clearer form of the built in speakers already in their TV's. It is still Stereo, with the added .1 for all the extra base on the low end. Without a center channel, there is no good way to genuinely highlight the voice/speech within the audio layer. Any quality HD broadcast has separate channels for this reason. It is marvelous to have a proper center channel when watching movies which emphasize the dialogue over the action. It emanates from just below the TV, giving you a distinct point to focus. No more wondering "what did he/she say?" and hitting rewind.

Now to point #3. How does one place a home theater outside of a classic home theater setting? As per the most helpful negative review, he left out this crucial point. Are you in a genuine home theater setting or a family room type setting? I watch a fair bit of TV in my family room, but the idea is not to let the TV consume the room's purpose and be a distraction. For example, its why I don't criticize people who put their TV"s above a fireplace mantle [read the instructions, if you use the fireplace and toast the sound bar you are out of warranty]. That was just the most blatant example of horrible "Home Theater" placement. People who do place a TV in what some may consider the "wrong" area, probably want the convenience of a TV in that room, but don't want it to overwhelm the space with TV accoutrement (speakers, receiver, wires). That is the market this sound bar is designed to serve.

The one pain no one seems to accept. The price. I feel the pain too, but I have some appreciation for where a good chunk of the money went. The initial configuration requires calibration to your specific room. The sound bar and sub both emit specific sounds--sharp chirps,booms, and snaps--during a rather sophisticated calibration session using multiple sample points in a room. The engineering needed to accomplish this means the unit has to be built to accept inputs automatically. This is normally handled manually via a receiver, proper speaker placement, and skilled technician pulling it all together. You basically paid for BOSE to figure out a two part product with a decent stand-in for that entire aforementioned process and a few key components you can skip purchasing.

Why choose this setup?
Get this sound bar to minimize the TV's presence in a room, while maximizing the sound quality given the constraints. Clear voices, clear ambient sounds, distinct directional queues at lower volumes without obvious speakers dangling on the wall. The sound bar seems to blend with space, and is much less obvious. Pairs exceptionally well on a wall mount with the newer slim TV profiles.

Why not to choose this setup?
Do not get this sound bar if you have any designs on "Home Theater" flexibility, expandability and quality. Sound bars are not for Home Theaters, no matter what BOSE might say [the BOSE rep I worked with did not claim it to be, just saying someone else might]. Want to better isolate the rear from the front? Want to isolate and boost the center channel? Perhaps you want to go full on Home Theater with a 7.1. If so, it is easy to spend 2x or 3x the sound bar price with mid range components and speakers. Just don't get carried away, or the sound bar will look like a bargain.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Soundbar "System" That Gets The Job Done, February 22, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
To begin with, 15 feet by 11 feet is the size of the small bedroom this goes into. The TV it connects to is the Panasonic TC-L42U25 42-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV we bought here at Amazon as well when our new Sony HDTV died just 13 months after buying it! It was their most expensive model and Sony told us to pound sand when it probably had less than 100 hours use on it. As a result, we bought this much more entry level (CHEAP!) HDTV set when on sale.

Now why would I want this item for a bedroom? Well we have a brand new Yamaha RX-V671BL 7.1-Channel Network AV Receiver we also just bought here at Amazon to replace a POS Onkyo in our living room. We have a matched 7.1 Polk Audio high end surround set of speakers in that living room that set us back a LOT of money so we already had that room covered. Plus I HAD to know if any Mickey Mouse "soundbar" could cut it at any level in ANY room. Just seemed to me to be a scam. Plain & simple, a scam?

So my next door neighbor who has the same Onkyo surround in his living room as we had, also had the nightmare issues as we did and bought this for his living room. I was cussing Onkyo and we started comparing notes when he told me he had replaced his complete system as well with just this Bose® CineMate 1 SR, and then opposite of myself, moved all his "serious" equipment to his garage that he has converted to his gaming & computer room. Now HE paid for his system, I get to try it for free on the Vine program. So keep that in mind with my review since I really do find quite a few items I review in Vine to suck. Actually suck pretty badly & rarely do I give much a 4+ stars in my reviews. To me, free doesn't equal GOOD.....

So long story short as I can, I asked him if he was crazy when he told me the price (he bought at Best Buy). He told me to com look at it & listen. Now his living room is vastly different than mine and has no carpet, but instead, Mexican Paver Tiles. It is also a quite a bit smaller than mine with a different floor plan. So I go in and sit down when he turns it on. I really thought he was punking me because it sounded REALLY NICE. I don't mean kinda nice or sort of nice, but REALLY NICE. I figured maybe because he had tiles as opposed to carpet but actually it would sound better in MY living room (I will get to that in a bit) with carpet and a larger area. So we put in a couple different movies including a 3D DVD on BluRay. I don't have 3d On my sets so that was weird as well (to me). It was simply staggering to me that this could even sound "acceptable" but I felt instantly sick at the thousands I had just spent upgrading my living room system. My neighbor asked if I wanted to try it in my living room. I thought he was kidding when he showed me how simple it was going to be.....

He reached behind his HDTV and pulled the optical cable and told me to carry the Acoustimass module and he picked up the soundbar, off we went. THAT simple! So we connect it in the reverse order in my home. Well what I thought was really nice made me sick to my stomach in MY house. Sick because I had just lost so much money doing MY upgrade and this sounds almost identical to it. Now MY "real" system has more punch but I never USE that punch. I am in my 60's and just want to hear. I want to HEAR,, simple, crisp & clean. I don't need 120+ decibels of booming bass to upset the World or even myself. And as to that, this bass is perfectly fine. Anyway. It simply so amazed me with it's ability we just began budgeting for one in our master bedroom I mentioned in the beginning of this review. Reason being is I have several major surgeries coming ans will spend the next months in that bedroom in bed. We have been moving my XBOX & PS3 into that room so I can hopefully recover & not lose my mind from another season in bed.

After the living room test, we tried my Master Bedroom and I was sold. For the size room it will now be in in MY home, that 15 by 11 foot room, this is simply an amazing piece of equipment. I mean AMAZING. And it should be nothing less given it's price. When I saw this pop up on Vine to review, I almost missed it because I simply never saw anything so expensive in front of me on Vine! Ever....I actually froze and still figure it was some kind of Miracle or who knows what? I only know how BADLY I wanted and needed this for my 3-4 months of bed Rest coming up and my birthday is next week so I just about had myself yet another heart attack. If I had not heard this exact model in my home, and in 2 completely different rooms in my home, I NEVER would consider spending that kind of money for a device like this. And given I heard it in both my home as well as next door in yet a completely different room with both different layout as well as flooring? I am sold on Bose and at least with this Soundbar, I will possibly never go any other way again (should I live so long as to need to)?

It is somewhat ironic I had been researching this to buy & reading reviews. Always found One guy who makes it his life's work it seems, to counter ANY review for this that turns up positive. I will probably see him in comments to this review eventually? I would ask you to PLEASE consider giving this a try in your HOME if you can (they offer some sort of 30 day satisfaction Guarantee) if you have doubts. Check my other Vine as well as other reviews. I am a hard sell....I don't roll over & give glowing reviews for crap. Is it worth this extremely high price? Would be for me had I not been given this chance to test it. And set up? WHAT set up! This will configure itself for you by comparison the the NIGHTMARE of my so called "real" living room Yamaha/Polk System. It is all about where to place your values. In the grand scheme of things, this IS worth it to me, for the specific use I have it intended for, I the specific room I have it going into to. I simply love this product and give it 4 stars ONLY due to cost. If it were just 200 to 300 hundred bucks less it would be a SOLID 5 stars. Understand clearly, I rate this as 5 stars in quality of sound. FOR SOUNDBAR. Factor in the slight loss of power over my living room system (cost $3800.00) and I find this a fair value. No real setup as I formally knew it, no wires, no speakers EVERYWHERE I turn (my cats think they are clawing posts!), and this becomes such a wonderfully simple & clean install I fall in love over & over again.

My recommendation is simple when you read reviews on items like this. Sound is subjective. Looks are as well. I love this, you hate that etc. We are all different. When reading reviews on Amazon, factor in this....Is it an Amazon Verified Purchase? If not, who knows what you are actually reading? The world is full of "haters" these days with agendas, frustrations and life in a hard world. THIS item has made MY world a whole lot more simple and for that, I am grateful.

PS, Do NOT make an idiot mistake I first made when connecting my optical cable. I had it plugged from the rear on my Cheap Panasonic TV into the "AUX" Input to the Bose soundbar so spent awhile figuring out what stupid mistake I made. My eyes are worse than my ears. I am also adding 2 pictures to show the setting I use in my small bedroom as our ND system and for hospital recovery etc. Please note I took this after the whopping 5-7 minute install and BEFORE hiding the wires etc!

Last but certainly not least is the remote. I was stumped at first but quickly found it is pure genius if you hook up as many peripherals as I have. Once you understand it's logic for turning other connected items off & on it instantly becomes intuitive from that moment on. It is odd (to me anyway) at first glance then once you see how it is set up, it is brilliant. It is also an EXTREMELY nice remote. Very high quality and much nicer than our COX Cable HD DVR remote. It works with our just bought DVR/DVD device and no more 6 remotes. It only took 5 minutes to find the frequencies to program it using the frequency guide that was included. Every single thing you may ever need to connect this Soundbar is included, as it should be for the cost. And most important, it all works seamlessly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bose CineMate SR1 a great listening experience., October 25, 2013
The Setup,
This system sits in my small/medium sized bedroom, and is placed on the wall; the subwoofer (Acoustimass Module, against Bose's suggestion) is placed under my bed, which against the opposite wall.

The Perception.
1) As an experienced electronic and audio system buyer and consumer, I did not have doubt about Bose build quality.
2) My Concern was around the pre conceived notion that the Bose does not produce a rumbling bass, also its bass is more hollow and unnatural.
3) I had few Bose headphones before, so needless to say I am extremely pleased with their customer service.
4)No Manual controls or override of any kind, except volume (and to certain extent bass) made me very uncomfortable.
5) It did not have other frills like Bluetooth connectivity or any other wireless technology; however that was not my purpose of use, so I was not bothered. Everyone knows Bose is extremely suspicious and late adapter of new technologies which were not part of their research. Remember how long it took them to provide a MP3 format on their systems?
6) I did not expect much from surround sound, as per me it is not only difficult but impossible to produce effect a true surround sound system generates.
7) Price for such a product exceeded my expectations.

The Experience.
1) As per my perception I was not wrong about the build quality, it is surprisingly light, yet feels sturdy. The lightness threw me off initially; I am not used to handling any systems that light, even few center channel speakers weigh more than this thing. I even felt that at higher volumes it might vibrate by the sound it produces (and hence distort it), rest assumer, it does not.
2) That was seriously shattered, though I am adamant to admit it, the little Acoustimass produces plenty bass. The low notes produced by the speaker itself, do sound a bit hollow at times.
3) Thank fully, I did not need any assistance from their customer service yet on this product.
4) I have over a period of time started to like this drawback. I have 3 other pure 5-1 or 7-1 systems and on each of those I have to fiddle around each time I play a different media to get just the right sound. This one does it for me, and I haven't had any issue with its decoding of various formats. The voice are natural the music is crisp, and the action scenes sound almost too real. Every now and then I have slight issues with the voice, but that could be contributed to the source, rather than the system. My Only complaint is it's difficult (impossible?) to reduce the surrounding volume and only keep the Mids up when I need them (Especially at night), I somewhat solve that by physically switching off the Acoustimass module, but that's not an elegant way of doing things. (Bose please provide a Night viewing mode).
5) I am not missing the peripheral connectivity; I have other specialized speakers for that. So no problem there.
6) Surround sound, again Bose proved me wrong. This thing does the job of producing the surround sound much better than anything I have experienced from a single speaker/speaker array. It even beats an unturned 5.1 at times. But this by far is the biggest shortcoming of the product due to physical limitations.
7) Price, I will always be unsatisfied on this point I hardly feel any system is worth that price, however to be fair I will compare it to other products, I experienced the following products Sharp SP40, JBL SB 300, Pinnacle QP 15 (Different occasion did not buy for this use), Martin Logan Vision. Wished I had tried Sonos, however I did not for the same reason I did not keep the QP 15, it is a passive speaker and not truly a Soundbar. Harman Kardon SB3 0, should have tried that, but it did not sound as good at frys or any other place as Bose, also I have a HK true 5.1 in my living room, and I know what it's worth. Out of the above the only speaker one can compare Bose to was Martin Logan, although as good at producing crisp Mids and truly nice sound effects, it sound metallic and not anywhere as near natural as Bose, on all the sound tests I did I would pick Bose each time. From that perspective the price seems ok, but I still cannot get over the high sticker and think to myself, was it really worth it? And the answer does not come easy, but always after ponder it always ends up to be Yes (Especially with 36 months financing offered by Frys).

Other Thoughts.
The ADAPTiQ makes a world of difference. I had placed this bar in horizontal position before I wall mounted it and had run the ADAPTiQ, the sound was completely messed up when I placed it on the wall. After running the ADAPTiQ it was (almost) perfect again, I think the sound it produced when it was horizontal was a little better than the one it does now on the wall.
Remote, if you are using it as a universal remote, makes sense. However to use 3 buttons (Power, and Volume up, down) the brick is overkill, I wish I can somehow use my TV Remote to control speakers.
It has very limited connection options I use both Optical, so not an issue with me, but I feel it should have other things like RCA, HDMI etc.
The Optical cables that come with the product are super thin, don't know if they are technologically superior or just cheap, so did not use those.
Separate wall mounts, really Bose? You can't provide those as options or provide it on request for people who may need it, free of charge?
Setup is a breeze just like the Martin Logan's, and no complain about that for both.
Looks are sleek and clean, the provided wire cover is a great idea.
It's a great listening experience and it never stops amusing and amazing me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary, February 24, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Since starting a family my interest in owning the latest AV equipment has been replaced by a desire to have good, but simple sound. Before this sound bar I had a set of Bose CineMate 2.1 speakers (GS Series II). Those were fine for my purposes. They sounded good (far better than any of the soundbars I tested) were simple to set up, and had a very small footprint. However they didn't quite replace the quality of my older (and more expensive) reciever/speaker setup. So when I got a chance to try out the CineMate 1 SR home theater speaker system I was very curious to find out what 3x the price would bring? And how would it compare to my old traditional multi-speaker sound sound setup?

The short answer is I'm stunned. The CineMate 1 sounds amazing. Aside from an extreme audiophile anyone is going to love how this sounds. Yes, if you hire someone to install a high-end AV setup and carefully calibrate it, you can have better sound. But if you are like me and want great sound with minimal hassle, this system is perfect. Bose does not design speakers for fanatical audiophiles who complain about the reproductions of frequencies they can't even hear. Bose designs speakers for real humans, who want great sound but who do not want to become audio engineers. And this is firmly aimed at that market, and that market, is me.

So at it's core, the CineMate 1 takes over for your TV's built-in speakers. You do this by connecting your TV's audio output to the CineMate sound bar. You can also directly connect things like your cable/sat tv and Blu-Ray drive if you desire (it's not needed the TV can pass that and that's what I do). The setup is simple. Unpack, place your soundbar (vertical or horizontal) hookup a cable from the soundbar to the TV (the sub is wireless), and run through the ADAPTiQ calibration steps (which are simple) and you are done. After that, throw in some ear candy and prepared to be blown away. It includes a universal remote. The setup looks pretty standard: push a few buttons, plug in a code for a device (DVD player, cable box, etc..) and repeat until done.

If you are ready to spend a fair chunk of change for really good sound, but don't want to route speaker wire everywhere, this is a truly amazing choice that won't disappoint you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Listen To the Bose Haters!, July 14, 2014
After reading the multiple reviews and then weeded out the Bose haters I decided to purchase the Cinemate 1 SR, Sorry Amazon I bought it directly from Bose I'll make it up I promise. I can't add much to what the other reviews have said, but I can offer some advice and something I found out if you have AT&T Uverse. First the advice; follow the instructions to the letter and run the ADAPTIQ to configure the device to your room you won't be sorry. While it is technically a simple setup, one wire from your TV to the speaker array and a couple of power plugs, if you follow the instructions and also utilize the aux inputs from the device directly to the speaker array, the audio results will be greatly improved. You see the array will use the best signal; as per the instructions, you need to connect the device to the TV and to the array's aux imputs. So if your TV or cable box only outputs PCM audio through the HDMI cable, but if you can connect via composite or optical digital audio directly to the array from the cable box and the cable box supports Dolby 5.1 you will get Dolby 5.1 to the array. The same thing for a DVD player too. This will make a big difference not only in the sound quality but also for the effects.

Now what I discovered with AT&T Uverse which might be also applicable to other set top boxes. In the options menu for the Uverse box you can set the audio output preference to either stereo or surround sound. Mine was set to stereo by default. When I made the change to surround sound, I head the most amazing audio including some good bass from regular network TV and my premium channels like HBO came to life. My Samsung TV was now showing Dolby Digital as an audio source and I actually had to cut back on the bass adjustment located on the Acoustimass Module. I never realized there was so much bass on the Food Network!!!

What else did I hear? I heard helicopters flying overhead, crickets in my hallway, water dripping from a faucet in the other corner of the room and some of the clearest dialog through it all I have ever heard. All pretty amazing stuff from a single speaker array and a sub.

Was it expensive, yeah it was compared to others. Does it sound amazing? Once you get it set up right it will be awesome. As far as music is concerned, the first music that I played through it was BB King and Eric Clapton's "Riding With The King" and when it started by wife looked at me and all she said was WOW. Is it worth the money? If you got the money to spend, yeah it's worth every penny if you're looking for a sound bar type system. If you're thinking this system will have the same effects as a 7.1 system, it won't, but it will still blow your face off with some pretty incredible sound.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good for Show and Tell, Form over Function, I could go on and on..., December 21, 2013
The sound bar is a sleek and stylish piece of hardware with great name recognition and a very nice wireless sub. The only problem I have with this piece of equipment is the sound quality! I have owned this item since November 2011 and unfortunately I have waited this long to inform others of the mistake I knew I had made within a few days of purchase. The reason the sound quality is horrible, in my opinion, is that I, and everyone else that has came over, can hardly hear any of the verbal conversations being had on TV/Movies. The special effects and background music/explosions are great, but you just simply cannot understand verbal communications. This could have been mitigated with a simple onscreen menu to adjust sound properties yet it has none. Not only is it lacking an onscreen setup, it has absolutely zero ways to adjust any sound properties at all. What you hear is what you get. I should have taken this product back but as you can tell with my two year late review, I am pretty darn lazy. I have resorted to using this setup as my living room show-off. I should be fine as long as guest do not want to watch anything other than Nature Documentaries.
P.S. It does not come with any mounting hardware, and they have done a pretty good job of engineering the ability to mount yourself right out of this thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Product For Great Sound!!!, January 8, 2013
Wade Wasserman (Pensacola, FL United States) - See all my reviews
Let me start by saying this is the first Bose Product I have ever owned. I am not a fanboy or a hater. That said I have to say this Sound Bar rocks. I bought the Sound Bar to replace my Sony D900 Home Theater System which broke after 11 years of excellent sound production. My wife wanted smaller. The D900 is a massive space user so when we went to get a new system we noticed all the Sound Bar systems. Every system we saw was hooked up so you could hear what they sounded like. Not only did The CineMate 1 SR out perform all Sound Bars but also sounded better then sound systems with 5 speakers. I even looked at the Bose Lifestyle Series Home Theater Systems which have all the speakers, IPod Dock, etc. But that option would have cost another $1,000 plus and would have taken up the room my wife wanted to save. Before I purchased the CineMate I asked what the return policy was just in case it did not work as it promised in my home. I had 45 days to check it out. To be honest it sounds even better in my house. I wanted to make sure I was getting the best sound possible so I called Bose Tech Support. I called Tech Support 3 times. I have to say they have some of the best support I have ever used. My old Sony system was great but their Tech Support is one of the worst I have ever dealt with. The bottom line is that the Bose CineMate is an awesome sound system. It takes up minimum space, it looks gorgeous, and most important it sounds like ear candy. For you Bose haters out there, if your going to buy a Sound Bar you have to try out the CineMate. For everyone else it's your only choice---all other Sound Bars are just inferior to the CineMate.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality TV sound for the interior design conscious, February 23, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was impressed with this system starting from the moment the UPS driver dropped it on my porch, a large heavy big box lavishly packaged in a complex architecture of cardboard and styrofoam. The equipment once unpacked is clearly well designed and constructed of excellent materials. No low-rent 'power bricks' here, all the power supplies are integrated into the two modules (speaker bar and subwoofer) where they belong. There is an obvious attention to detail. It was easy to set up also, following the manual or an included DVD. The appearance of this system is one of its main selling points; there is only one visible speaker, a long bar which mounts on the wall or under the TV. Very sleek.

Of course sound quality is the main thing. I tested this A-B-C against two other systems connected to my Panasonic plasma TV. The first was a standard stereo with a basic receiver and two Sony bookshelf speakers, not expensive. I used a Judy Collins CD as a sound source. The Bose CineMate was distinctly better than my stereo system for naturalness and dynamic range, a big upgrade. The third system was another speaker-bar product, but much less expensive, made by Mint as the SB10. This was the worst of the three and the less said about it the better. Dreck. The Bose CineMate with its room-filling, clear sound wins hands down. Remarkably, the CineMate also does produce directional imaging, and on some passages absolutely sounds as if there were a speaker at the back of the room! But it's just a wonderful trick of electronics, phase delays in the individual drivers of the speaker bar which fool our ear directionally, much as a vantriloquist throws his voice.

Next we come to a unique high tech feature of this system; the box includes a sensor device called ADAPTiQ. This is a pair of headphone/microphones which one wears walking around the room while an electronic algorithm sends out signals and adjusts the individual driver/phase outputs to compensate for your individual arrangement of walls and furniture, based on seating positions. Amazing for a consumer product but is it a gimmick? It is a bit hard to detect what it does - the adjustments are subtle if your room and seating geometry are ordinary; where it is likely to be an advantage is to compensate for very unusual rooms or positioning of the TV. In any case you only use it once, at setup time.

So a remarkable system full of high tech, high quality magic. The real question mark, given the very high price tag for this system (nearly twice what most people paid for their flat screen TV and three times the cost of popular 5.1 speaker sets), is what an individual home theatre enthusiast should choose from the many available speaker options. These range from my simple two-speaker stereo to 5.1 and so forth. Bose themselves offers half a dozen home theatre products. The choice depends on your taste in movie content and interior decorating. The surround type systems - which Bose also sells - have more dramatic directionality and will work best for special effects movies such as "Casino Royale" or "Wall-E" or 3D movies like "Avatar." The CineMate is more an excellent general purpose system which is clean enough to support music listening, even classical, and it offers an elegant, uncluttered appearance. On the other hand, for the same dollar cost, one could afford a top rank pair of speakers and amp which would be even better in the accuracy department. Probably the CineMate goes best with a very large screen, cost-no-object home theatre where musical quality and neat, clean appearance are more important than special effects. In any case no one is going to be disappointed with this product; impressive quality and performance.