4.0 out of 5 stars great speakers
Published on June 3, 2004 by Berge

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Sound, So-so Value
These are good speakers, but at this price, you can buy 4 pairs of comparable Yamaha NS-AW350 speakers. In side-by-side testing, I did not have a preference. Check out the Yamahas before you make a final decision.
Published 9 months ago by D. Limbach

4.0 out of 5 stars great speakers, June 3, 2004
Berge (Hillsborough, NC) - See all my reviews
got these a couple of weeks ago from the bose store. they installed super easily, brackets sturdy and easy to place. the sound is phenomenal. very crisp with adequate bass, best appreciated at higher volumes than you may want inside but very good @ any volume. didn't feel like the cost was too prohibitive in comparison to other outdoor speakers, the sound is just that good. also looked @ bose 151's and although they sounded pretty good, there was no comparison to the 251's. highly recommend these if you barbecue a bunch, are in the yard a lot, or entertain outdoors often. we no longer have to blast our indoor klipsch speakers while gardening outdoors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted and expected, September 18, 2007
I had a pair of Bose 101 speakers outside for almost 10 years mounted on the deck, they performed perfectly, unfortunately being outside through Rain, Snow and summer heat took its toll and they were DOA in the spring. I wanted another pair of equally good sounding speakers to replace them and have been a Bose fan for a number of years. My expectations were set by the previous pair, and knowing the the open landcape of a deck is an acoustic challenge for any speaker. I ordered the Bose 251 speakers expecting the same or better sound quality and an easier mount/removal, as I will probably pull these in for the winter months. The 251's are perfect. The sound is crisp and even in an open landscape there is sufficient bass to my ears. I like the hand tightened method for securing the speakers to the deck mounted brackets, which will make removal and remounting a snap. All in all I'n very satisfied with this product, its a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, February 7, 2011
This review is from: Bose 251 Environmental Outdoor Speakers (White) (Electronics)
I purchased these speakers to replace some junky AudioSource speakers after about 10 years. The sound quality from the Bose 251s is incredible. When I go out in my yard, about 40-50 feet from the speakers, they sound like a professional sound system. The sound quality is incredible. These speakers face West so their durability will certainly be tested. They are in the middle of their first winter and so far, so good. Fortunately, I picked these up on Amazon for a measly $198 for the pair. Mistake? Maybe, Good Luck, Definitely. Even at the standard $398, these are still well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bose nose......., May 15, 2010
The 251's build quality is great, they mount nice and look good.

The true benefit of bose is the "jedi mind tricks" they use to create acoustic chambers inside an enclosure to expand bass. They don't use high spec components but instead high tech design to maximize what they use. These 251's are made of a high quality rigid epoxy type enclousre with its 5 inch bass/mid cone mounted sideways INSIDE firing sidways into a chamber. You don't see it. Bass when compressed and ported thru a chamber gets exaggerated. Thats how bose sounds bigger then they are.

When we moved I took my 4 251's with me and installed them in a new 16 x 20 screened in patio using two volume switches hooked up to my 65per watt old Yamaha INtegrated amp from college. Nothing fancy using decent speaker cables to them makes them sound great. Certainly you don't need 4 of these for such a small space but I had them anyway and Overkill is part of the sterophonic/home theatre fun! If you go to fine restaurants with great accustics you'll notice you can talk at your table without lots of noise and the music system is very effective. They do this by having many speakers with the idea of having flood quality sound at low levels. This is what I can do in this space and it sounds great. Sure I can play it loud and it sounds great but at low volume the speakers design works to acomplish my goal. They don't use fancy tweeter, just two in an array to widen the sound stage. I have my speakers at the corners with the tweeters on the bottom (closer to the ear) but the bass end in the corner using the wood ceiling as a sort of additional base chamber with further warms the sound. I tried different placements and like this set up best.

There are "better" speakers with better components with better names on them and perhaps with a lower price but sound is subjective and everyone is going to mount them in a different place so its impossible to directly compare. Also music sources, music types and the components driving them are all going to be different for everybody.

In my old house one pair was mounted on the second floor to flood the deck and back yard. They amplified well and created a very wide soundfield using the tweeter array design. IM glad I got to harvest $700 worth of speakers and move them with me.

Some folks love bose and the bose name. They use their expertise in automobile applications and they are good for creating a nice ambient sound field. Bose has a mixed reputation. "Audiophiles" or ones that aspire to be one don't like them which I can also agree with. Bose for my home theatre and for my two channel critical listening room is not gonna happen for me. But I own bose headphones, clock/desk radio, sub/sat computer speakers and had cars with them and been happy enough with those products.

I gave these speakers a 4 star rating as I believe they are high quality and even at the price provide high value. Five stars are rare and for products that blow you away. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with this purchase! These puppies cost $350, if they were $200 I'd give them 6 stars!

UPDATE 6/2014

Speakers continue to please the ears!!!! They are in a screened in area and holding up very well!! Would still recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound and lasts for years, January 31, 2011
I have had these speakers for 8 years. I leave them outside year round. I live on Illinois where temperatures range from over 100 F in the summer and below zero in the winter. Great sound across all ranges. I have sprayed the hose directly on these speakers and it does not affect them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but pricey speakers for the backyard, May 27, 2010
Christian (PLANO, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
I bought these speakers for my backyard as the previous house owner had this model of speakers installed previously (he took them with him when he sold the house). I figured that the installation would be easier if re-installed the same model of speaker. As it turns out, a new installation would only take about 10 - 20min anyway as the bracket assembly is four holes and comes with simple instructions to mount the speakers to different surfaces. Speaker wire was already located, so it literally took about 10 minutes to install these speakers at my home.

The sound is good - as you would expect, not as much bass as equivalent 100W floor-standing speakers, but very good when you consider that these speakers are designed for all weather conditions.

That being said, at $358/pair, these speakers are not cheap and I am sure there is a significant portion of the price in the Bose name.

Bottom line: I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the performance, but I'm not sure they are the best value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bose, December 13, 2008
These are really great speakers. I use them in my work van. I have them on a 200 watt amp with a powered subwoofer. they sound great. Anyone would be satisfied with these speakers in car or home.

4.0 out of 5 stars supposed fomer bose hater, May 16, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like music. Even more so, I like it really clear with a nice balance of sound. I don't like too much or too little of bass and treble. There needs to be just the right balance so you can hear the full spectrum of the music. Aound the house you will find a lot of upper end consumer speakers (Deffinitive Technology, Mirage and Triad). I also have a couple of really expensive headphones (shure s535 and B&W P5). For years I have been completely anti-bose.

That changed a few years ago when someone gave me a set of bose in ear headphones. They don't have the quality of my other headphones, but for daily walk around use, they are very comfortable and don't block out all background sound (which I prefer for an out and about set of headphones - I am able to hear other people and still listen to music).

So when it came time to get these, I decided to relax my hard anti-bose stance and give them a try.

Right out of the box, I was very impressed with the installation instructions. They were very well documented and made the install process as easy and clear as it could be. There is also a lot attention to the fit and finish of these speakers. Bose does this very well. I think this is part of the reason they appeal to a very specific demographic.

Then came the moment of truth.... how do they sound. The common statement about this brand goes "No highs? No Lows? Must be Bose!" and that was my fear.

So when I powered them up I was initially a little underwelmed, as i did notice that the sound range wasn't as clear and full as I would prefer. They didn't sound as clipped as the famous tiny acoustimass speakers, which is what most people think of when they think of Bose.

I have to say that I was a bit disappointed. But them more I listened to them, the more I realized that this may the most appropriate sound stage for outdoor speakers. Plus, it is really hard to get controlled and refined sound outside. At this point I started to think that this may be the best blend of range for this purpose..... of course it also could be that I didn't want to deal with taking them down now that they were installed.

They have been installed for a few weeks now, and I enjoy them more then i initially did. That does not necessarily mean that they are my favorite speakers or that I would get bose for inside the house, but I think there are worse speakers out there. The biggest flaw, is that you are paying big time for the brand (they retail for $400).

These are definitely going to be something that you want to listen to before buying. Make sure you are going to be happy with the results before dropping the cash on these. For many people they are going to love them. Although. I know that there are a lot of people that won't event think about them because of brand prejudiceness. But that is ok, we are all entitled to our opinion. And just because someone likes how something sounds, doesn't mean everyone else will too.

If nothing else, if you have these in your home you are going to get 2 types of reactions from people. Some of your family and friends are going to think you are living large - you have bose speakers! On the other hand, the other people you know are going to tell you how crazy you are. Prepare for both and if it gets to be too much to handle.... just turn up the volume on the music, and nod to the beat of your own drummer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing, June 29, 2012
We recently upgraded our home to a dual zone receiver. We wired our living room for zone 1 and left zone 2 unwired. I bought these Bose 251 Environmental Speakers for my boyfriend as a surprise for Father's day. We just got the AV guy out yesterday to wire and mount these speakers in the back of our house. When we turned them on the sound was unbelievable. The AV guy looked at me and said how much did you pay for these speakers, thinking I must have spent at least $1000.00 on them. He couldn't believe when I showed him the price on Amazon that I paid. With the volume turned down to 24 dB, the audio output was still crystal clear at the furthest area of our outdoor entertaining space (at the back of the diving board). We cranked the volume up and there was never any distortion, just pure clean sound. We were even able to hold a conversation at normal volumes anywhere in the back yard because the speakers were providing such an even omnidirectional sound projection. Absolutely Amazing! I can't say enough good things about these speakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Wall Mounted Outdoor Speakers, May 17, 2013
When looking for outdoor speakers I tested the Bose 151, Bose 251, Polk Atrium 4 and Yamaha NS-AW570. The Bose 151 were disappointing. While the high end range was good, as you would expect from Bose, there was no base. At this price point I much preferred the Polk or the Yamaha. Both of these provided much better base. I ended up purchasing the Bose 251s which are fantastic. Best base out of the wall mounted outdoor speakers that I tested, and all around great sound. The 251s also do a great job of projecting the sound to all areas of the yard. They are more $$, but they should last a long time, so worth the investment.

The only better sounding speakers that I found were the Bose Free Space 51 In-Ground Speaker. However, I wanted to mount on my wall, so I went with the 251s.