4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, but there are better speakers for the price
Published 8 months ago by Audio Nut

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor purchase
This was an awful purchase
Published 2 months ago by KAT

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, but there are better speakers for the price, June 28, 2014
This review is from: Bose 151 Environmental Speaker Pair with Brackets (Black) (Electronics)
I have a pair of these that have been outside playing for about 12 years now. They still play fine and sound about like they did when new.. They use a single driver, so they do not have a tweeter. That, in my opinion, is what keeps them from being a 5 star product. The bass is actually quite good for a 4.5" driver, and the midrange is clear and well balanced. But they are missing the sparkle and sizzle at the upper end because of their lack of a tweeter.

I also have a pair of Polk Atrium 4's that I could directly compare these to. The bass is slightly better on the Bose, but the Polks win on overall sound quality and definitely on the upper range due to their excellent tweeters.

I'm giving the 4 stars because they do sound pleasant and they have held up to the elements nicely. But the Polks are better and even slightly cheaper.

I will add...Bose went backward by replacing these with the newer 151's with the Twiddler drivers. The new 151's have no bass response at all, only having twin 2.5" drivers. These older models are far superior.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bose 151 speakers, November 13, 2013
Great sound, great look and easy installation. Used these to replace a 22 year old pair of outside Bose speakers that I loved. Was not disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm sick of the Bose Bashing..., May 19, 2004
I am so tired of reading so-called audiophiles bashing on BOSE for being a successful audio line. I personally own BOSE, JBL, Harmon Kardon, and other brands of audio products and think that saying a whole product line is "not taken seriously" by a bunch of audio elitest snobs is both the antithesis of the hyped marketing being lamented in the first place and also an indicator that the reviewer is trading one set of hype (BOSE marketing) for another (so-called audiophile popular opinion). Let me give you a clue -- I like the way BOSE sounds and so do many other people. These particular speakers are great, and at around $150, these beat the socks off other outdoor speakers in its price range. If you don't like them, it's ok. Just lay off the Bourgeois audiophile rhetoric, ok?

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my Bose speakers, June 30, 2013
These are the second set of Bose speakers that we've purchased. We have a beautiful backyard with a pool and having such great sound quality while we enjoy the outdoors with friends and family is priceless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy these, don't let the Bose bashers scare you off...., May 21, 2012
Several years ago I purchased the previous generation of these outdoor speakers, the 121's...casing appears the same, brackets for mounting, single speaker, etc...yesterday I pulled them out of storage and mounted them on the metal fence which surround my inground pool. All I can say is, Fantastic..., driven by a 20 year old Denon with my Ipod as the digital source of music, these speaksers sounded awesome. Good as new. I trust that Bose has not strayed tremendously adrift from the original design as these are very nice speakers for an outdoor application. Moderate range, but again folks, this is the outdoors...grilling, pool parties, deck with friends...perfect and they are very well built.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outdoor Speakers Just what we wanted, May 4, 2013
Speakers came just as advertised, Brackets, screws everything needed was in the box.
took about 20 minutes to hang brackets, and speakers, no problems.
We put these speakers in a 30' x 40' outside cover patio, sounds good all the way around the area.
Good Purchase for long term use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, sharp sound audible throughout the yard, May 20, 2003
David Traill (Stuart, FL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I got these as a birthday present and once installed, found their performance was exactly as I had hoped they would be. Several guests at a subsequent outdoor party noted how much they appreciated the background music, and those who wanted to sat nearby clearly enjoying the music. It'll also be nice to have music while we enjoy our pool area from now on.
I ran the cables from the speakers to my indoor stereo so I could have the same music inside and out, and as a result, it should be noted for anyone considering doing the same that you might want to wire in a manner that would allow you to disconnect them if you are showing something in surround sound, or enjoying music indoors so that your neighbors won't have to listen in to the fun.
The speakers work very well, and their waterproof design will see them last us for quite a few future events- well worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Outdoor Lake Speakers, April 28, 2014
Replaced some cheap 100 watt speakers with these and they fit my bill for the outdoor installation and quality so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars best speakers ever, February 13, 2014
JP (Alameda, US, Canada) - See all my reviews
For the price I got those Bose speakers I could not have had a better deal and a better sound
I installed them (very easily) on to my sail boat and appreciate the fact that they are outside rated and fit the 4 ohms requirement of my radio
I will definitely recommended them but I think they are older models and might not be available very much longer

5.0 out of 5 stars Bose goes bold, into the outdoors ( 9 out of 10 ), June 24, 2003
I have always favoured Bose (and Sony) for sound. I was going for my first SERIOUS purchase for speakers in December 2000, at Future Shop in Toronto. A salesman asked me to try the newest Polk Audio bookshelf speaker, and compare it to the 151's.
The dude loves Polk Audio.
Polk Audio impressed me some with good sounding small speakers. It spilled out sounds that were a fair score. Not to impress me into buying them. Over to Bose's 151 Environmental speakers.
And I love Bose.
The construction, although not a wood or grain, is made of a cool hard-weather-resistant poly structure, in order for it's outdoor capabilities.
It can handle up to a hot 50 C, (apr. 125 F), or dip into the Greenland regions of around, -22 C (about 5 F). Wow. Winter parties! And for even indoors, it reall does OVERALL look like a neat speaker. For sound, it punches out a more than decent 80 watts per channel. And since BOSE is renound for it's realistic natural sound, it more than proved it's greatness over slightly polky Polk. The 151's made the music so well delivered, making them sound relaxed, yet strong and natural. Just like they were "breathing" music. You could 'feel' the sound everywhere.
However,(yeah, I know) these speakers are better with a subwoofer. Otherwise, you'll call this review, "correct yet overgenerous".
Polk on the other hand, are better than average....but with too much push and shove. They sounded like a couple of little loud punks with some manors.
I consider my 151's the boss of 80-120 watt speakers, indoor or out! And they also come with wall mounts that have a spacer to change angles at the notch of the bracket.
A blessing is the reliable 5 YEAR warranty it carries. No extra price for 5 years. All automatic with your purchase. But courtesy of Bose, not your store.
So, if you need a good pair of bookshelf, outdoor, or even GREAT movie speakers (and not just as rear/satellites...great for front channels too), then Bose wants to ask you.....
"What would you like to hear?"

BOSE 151 Enviromental Speakers : score - 9/10