Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Style: Black|Change

on June 3, 2004
got these a couple of weeks ago from the bose store. they installed super easily, brackets sturdy and easy to place. the sound is phenomenal. very crisp with adequate bass, best appreciated at higher volumes than you may want inside but very good @ any volume. didn't feel like the cost was too prohibitive in comparison to other outdoor speakers, the sound is just that good. also looked @ bose 151's and although they sounded pretty good, there was no comparison to the 251's. highly recommend these if you barbecue a bunch, are in the yard a lot, or entertain outdoors often. we no longer have to blast our indoor klipsch speakers while gardening outdoors.
on September 18, 2007
I had a pair of Bose 101 speakers outside for almost 10 years mounted on the deck, they performed perfectly, unfortunately being outside through Rain, Snow and summer heat took its toll and they were DOA in the spring. I wanted another pair of equally good sounding speakers to replace them and have been a Bose fan for a number of years. My expectations were set by the previous pair, and knowing the the open landcape of a deck is an acoustic challenge for any speaker. I ordered the Bose 251 speakers expecting the same or better sound quality and an easier mount/removal, as I will probably pull these in for the winter months. The 251's are perfect. The sound is crisp and even in an open landscape there is sufficient bass to my ears. I like the hand tightened method for securing the speakers to the deck mounted brackets, which will make removal and remounting a snap. All in all I'n very satisfied with this product, its a winner.
on February 7, 2011
I purchased these speakers to replace some junky AudioSource speakers after about 10 years. The sound quality from the Bose 251s is incredible. When I go out in my yard, about 40-50 feet from the speakers, they sound like a professional sound system. The sound quality is incredible. These speakers face West so their durability will certainly be tested. They are in the middle of their first winter and so far, so good. Fortunately, I picked these up on Amazon for a measly $198 for the pair. Mistake? Maybe, Good Luck, Definitely. Even at the standard $398, these are still well worth the money.
66 comments|14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2010
I bought these speakers for my backyard as the previous house owner had this model of speakers installed previously (he took them with him when he sold the house). I figured that the installation would be easier if re-installed the same model of speaker. As it turns out, a new installation would only take about 10 - 20min anyway as the bracket assembly is four holes and comes with simple instructions to mount the speakers to different surfaces. Speaker wire was already located, so it literally took about 10 minutes to install these speakers at my home.

The sound is good - as you would expect, not as much bass as equivalent 100W floor-standing speakers, but very good when you consider that these speakers are designed for all weather conditions.

That being said, at $358/pair, these speakers are not cheap and I am sure there is a significant portion of the price in the Bose name.

Bottom line: I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the performance, but I'm not sure they are the best value for money.
on July 29, 2014
I took the advice from the "most helpful critical review" and purchased the Yamaha NS-AW350 speakers. While they sound marginally ok indoors, they sounded a little pathetic in my large back yard. After living with inferior sound for a couple of years, I just upgraded to the Bose 251.

Wow! There is a world of difference. From a full, rich base to crystal clear cymbals, the sound is simply amazing. And just for grins, I brought the 251's back indoors and compared them to my ridiculously expensive JBL's. To me, the 251's sounded better.

These are terrific speakers and well worth the money.
VINE VOICEon March 20, 2013
Style: White|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have never been more pleased with a product I got from Amazon Vine. These are the coolest speakers ever. They sound wonderful. They look really nice. They were easy to install. They hang at a nice downward facing angle that aims the sound right at the patio table. The result is just great.

I can't say that I am an expert on audio technology, but I do have a nice indoor stereo system with a lot of great old vinyl records. I can play my records inside, and listen to them outside. I can't even tell you how great this is. I think my outdoor music sounds better than my indoor music.

Having this nice music on the patio will encourage my family to spend more time eating meals outside this summer. I love this. Family time on the patio with nice music and good food. What could be better than that? I couldn't be happier.
on March 23, 2014
These are good speakers, but at this price, you can buy 4 pairs of comparable Yamaha NS-AW350 speakers. In side-by-side testing, I did not have a preference. Check out the Yamahas before you make a final decision.
on June 5, 2016
The sound is terrific. Don't let the term "wireless" let you think there are no wires. You have to connect the speakers to an amplifier via speaker wire and plug in the amp to an electrical outlet. The recommended amp is for indoor use only so I had to drill a hole in my house to run the 2 wires from indoors where I plugged in the amp to the 2 speakers outdoors. Once installed, playing the speakers via a Bluetooth connection is a breeze. A tip is to be sure you have good wireless connection near the speakers too.
review image
on February 10, 2016
Love these speakers!! Ours are mounted outside on a covered patio approximately 10' apart and 8' high and are connected to a Sonos Connect Amp. Sound fills our back yard and the bass is surprisingly resonant (not booming, but satisfying). The small amp drives the speakers distortion-free up to max volume (which is louder than we would ever need them). Easy install, great mounting system, highly recommended.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2010
The 251's build quality is great, they mount nice and look good.

The true benefit of bose is the "jedi mind tricks" they use to create acoustic chambers inside an enclosure to expand bass. They don't use high spec components but instead high tech design to maximize what they use. These 251's are made of a high quality rigid epoxy type enclousre with its 5 inch bass/mid cone mounted sideways INSIDE firing sidways into a chamber. You don't see it. Bass when compressed and ported thru a chamber gets exaggerated. Thats how bose sounds bigger then they are.

When we moved I took my 4 251's with me and installed them in a new 16 x 20 screened in patio using two volume switches hooked up to my 65per watt old Yamaha INtegrated amp from college. Nothing fancy using decent speaker cables to them makes them sound great. Certainly you don't need 4 of these for such a small space but I had them anyway and Overkill is part of the sterophonic/home theatre fun! If you go to fine restaurants with great accustics you'll notice you can talk at your table without lots of noise and the music system is very effective. They do this by having many speakers with the idea of having flood quality sound at low levels. This is what I can do in this space and it sounds great. Sure I can play it loud and it sounds great but at low volume the speakers design works to acomplish my goal. They don't use fancy tweeter, just two in an array to widen the sound stage. I have my speakers at the corners with the tweeters on the bottom (closer to the ear) but the bass end in the corner using the wood ceiling as a sort of additional base chamber with further warms the sound. I tried different placements and like this set up best.

There are "better" speakers with better components with better names on them and perhaps with a lower price but sound is subjective and everyone is going to mount them in a different place so its impossible to directly compare. Also music sources, music types and the components driving them are all going to be different for everybody.

In my old house one pair was mounted on the second floor to flood the deck and back yard. They amplified well and created a very wide soundfield using the tweeter array design. IM glad I got to harvest $700 worth of speakers and move them with me.

Some folks love bose and the bose name. They use their expertise in automobile applications and they are good for creating a nice ambient sound field. Bose has a mixed reputation. "Audiophiles" or ones that aspire to be one don't like them which I can also agree with. Bose for my home theatre and for my two channel critical listening room is not gonna happen for me. But I own bose headphones, clock/desk radio, sub/sat computer speakers and had cars with them and been happy enough with those products.

I gave these speakers a 4 star rating as I believe they are high quality and even at the price provide high value. Five stars are rare and for products that blow you away. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with this purchase! These puppies cost $350, if they were $200 I'd give them 6 stars!

UPDATE 6/2014

Speakers continue to please the ears!!!! They are in a screened in area and holding up very well!! Would still recommend.