2,560 Reviews
 (1,808)

4,156 of 4,283 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Bose QC15 vs. Sennheiser PXC 450 vs. Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7b
Bose QC15 vs. Sennheiser PXC 450 vs. Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7b

Disclosure: I have tried all these on an airplane. I am not an audiophile. Noise Cancelation is the most important attribute to me.

The Carrying Case: All three are quite durable and stiff.
1.) Bose- the smallest, a low profile, room for an Ipod, accessories too.
2.) Sennheiser-...
Published on August 23, 2011 by Joshua Brooks

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall a good product, but...Noise canceling? Quite contentious....
I'm a typical potential user for a noise-canceling pair of headphones. I'm a frequent flyer (36 flights in 7 months from this year's start) and when in office I work in a busy environment with people constantly talking on the phone.

Since I'm a tech and music geek, I was longly agonizing about the type of headphones to buy, and the process included extensively...
Published on July 25, 2012 by Ferdinando Scala

4.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied for office use, August 16, 2011
Mark "purplie" (Sunnyvale, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones (Electronics)
Pros:

* Great noise reduction, completely satisfies my need for isolation in noisy office.

* Lightweight for its size.

* Long cord.

* Nice firm-shell carrying case.

* Includes an iPhone cord with microphone.

* Battery in earpiece (not in a separate clunky module).

* Sound is good. I'm no audiophile, and my hearing isn't that great, but even
I can tell there's a huge improvement compared to earbuds. I can understand conversations a lot more easily.

Cons:
* The iPhone cord microphone is in the wrong place (it's up by your ear). Listeners tell me I sound a little faint.

* It doesn't breathe around the ear (you can get hot or sweaty). This may be unavoidable for the desired level of noise elimination. I got used to this pretty quickly and it doesn't bother me much any more.

* Stationary, there's no problem, but if you're walking and stepping heavily, and if the battery is low, it might crackle or cut out for a moment. I think this only happens when the battery is low.

* If you're outside and there is any wind, it will make a whistling noise.

Overall: better than anything I've tried previously, for noise reduction and sound, for use in the office or relaxing at home.

P.S. I would wish that at this price point it would include Bluetooth and Airplay but it doesn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can be the best, depending on your needs, November 16, 2011
I did a LOT of research before buying a pair of acoustic headphones, and these were the second pair that I bought. First, I bought Bowers & Wilkins P5 headphones (not noise cancelling, by the way), and I highly recommend them. I actually spent a lot of time comparing the B&Ws and the QC15s side-by-side. My conclusion: if you are in a reasonably quiet room, the B&W P5 headphones have slightly better sound -- the highs are ever so slightly crisper, and the lows every so slightly more true. However, the B&Ws let all sorts of outside noise in to your ears, and allow your music / podcast / whatever out to the ears of other people around you. If there is a television on in the background, or a train whistle, or people conversing, you will hear it.

Environments where there is a lot of background noise is where the QuietComfort 15s are unmatched. I have used them when using a leaf blower, lawn mover, and power tools. I have used them at a pro football game, and on airplanes. I have yet to find a situation where I cannot hear my audio source without a problem (though in the loudest environments I do have to increase the volume a few clicks). I tried to use the non noise-cancelling B&W P5s in these situations and they were completely overwhelmed by the background noise.

It is too bad that this class of headphone has come to be known as "noise cancelling" -- "noise reducing" is more accurate. You can still hear people talking, engines running, or the sound of a television. It is all just brought down to a level that it is much less distracting and that you can focus on the sounds you want to hear.

So, my B&Ws give me the purest, sweetest sound, but my QC 15s are far more versatile and almost match the B&W sound quality. If I could have only one, it would be the QC 15s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Money Ever Spent!, January 18, 2012
Okay... here is how my Bose story goes.

I first really wanted the QuietComfort 3's.. mainly because of their sleek and compact size.. I tried them on in the Bose store as well as the QuietComfort 15's. I thought both were comfortable, but I ended up choosing the QC3's (even after the store clerk tried to convince me to buy the QC15's!) The clerk told me there have been complaints about pressure on the ear and side of the head. I literally laughed thinking that it was a ridiculous remark.."how much pressure could they possibly put?..these are top of the line! people complain too much."

I got home and unwrapped my QC3's excited as ever! I put them on thinking "Ah, I'm so glad I got these..."

I wore my headphones for about 2-3 hours that night.. (I'm headed to Australia with a 14 hour flight coming up, so I needed to make sure I could wear them for long periods of time...yes I would take breaks as you are supposed to do with ANY headphones). All I need to say to sum up the rest of my night is that I had a horrible headache down into my neck and shoulders. I didn't know what it was really, and I convinced myself it was from stress at work!

The next few nights I tried the same thing. Horrible headache and pain, one night I even went to bed kind of dizzy. I kept on convincing myself it couldn't be these $300 + headphones!

I finally admitted to myself that I need to get the QC15's. I exchanged them no problem at the Bose store (within 90 days), and got the QC15's, and an extra $50 reimbursement for the price difference of the 3's and 15's. The pain is gone, the noise cancellation is EVEN BETTER and I am just overall so much more comfortable with the QC15's. The (SINGLE AAA BATTERY) lasts much longer than the charged battery for the QC3.

I truly think the QC 15's are Bose premiere headphones. While I still think the QC3's probably look a LITTLE bit better and more sporty, you absolutely cannot compare the comfort level between the QC15's and anything else. You trade just a little bit of looks and a little bit of size for a MUCH better product! The case is literally the same size as the 3's .. possibly a quarter of an inch bigger.. but that's it!

My Advice: Really truly listen to the clerks' recommendations in the store (They didn't even push the more expensive headphone on me), take your time trying them on, there is no rush for a purchase this major! Last but not least, most definitely don't be shy about returning or exchanging if you feel you have to! Be honest with yourself about the product you buy! ENJOY : )

5.0 out of 5 stars I've owned Beats, and these are better., October 12, 2012
There's a lot of talk regarding these lately and how they match up to the beats. I've owned or used a pair of most types of Beats by Dre. Generally, I'm pretty positive on the sound quality of the Beats Studios and I proudly owned them for a bit. I had the matte silver ones so they looked a little less flashy for more conservative environments. Recently, however, I made the switch after a long and drawn out internal debate. I do not regret switching to the QC 15s, and I'll go into some detail why.

I'm 32 and an academic, and I have had this difficult time getting past the feeling that I'm too old for Beats. They are, after all, very much geared toward a younger 24 and under crowd. Bose, in my opinion, is not just more mature, but I believe they are a brand that crosses all age groups. Bose is a brand of sophistication, not really bold fashion; sophistication can look amazing too, and these do.

Between the Bose and the Studios, I can most honestly say that I cannot tell a lot of difference in the bass except for the Bose sounding a bit more clean. These reviewers stating that the QC 15's have no bass I can't help but think they got a defective pair. I listen to many, many different types of music ranging from dubstep, ambient, and symphony and I believe that Bose offers the all around best and most accurate bass. Combine that with the clearer acoustics, percussion, and everything else you could possibly think of and you have a significantly better sound. As for how they sound in hip hop...I can't stand hip hop, but I have listened to it for the purposes of comparison. Bose still sound better, and there's more than enough bass to satisfy the biggest rap nut.

As for appearance, I stress that Beats create a look for fashion, and Bose go for a look of sophistication. Beats seem to be best worn around the neck as far as I can tell. Like I said, they are a fashion accessory. Bose QC 15s are meant to be truly worn, and when you put these things on you feel...well, sophisticated. They look extremely classy.

Lets discuss the feel for a moment. Beats Studios, I'll admit, feel great. I have absolutely nothing bad to say on their comfort. Bose QC 15's are significantly lighter, and the ear cushions envelop the entire ear a bit more spaciously than the Studios. Also, I don't believe the hold in as much heat in the ear cushions as they Studios, but neither one is extraordinarily hot. Also, I wear glasses, so sometimes ear fatigue can be a problem with headphones in general. Neither the Studios or QC 15s caused me any issues, but I was much more prone to forgetting I even had the QC 15s on. They just feel so incredibly light, and part of that is they are made of high grade plastic. Regardless of what you might hear or read, I feel these things are very, very sturdy. The Studios always felt like their folding hinge was going to be a problem at any given time.

Noise cancellation? QC 15s have no equal, and the Studios are a joke in comparison. The QC 15s will put you in your own world with your music, and with perfect clarity. The noise cancellation in the Studios creates a low volume static white noise that is very noticeable when listening to lower volume music, especially orchestral symphony and ambient. QC 15s are almost magical. I will forever be shocked by these. Oh and by the way, don't trust the quality exactly from the demo units you see in chain retail stores. Your actual pair sound significantly better, especially the noise cancellation.

I won't go any further for fear of droning on, but I will say this: I would buy the QC 15's many times over than get another set of Beats or even Beats Studios. They sound better, the noise cancellation is unrivaled, and their sophisticated appearance are difficult to "beat."

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor engineering, April 5, 2012
Peter Watje (San Francisco, California United States) - See all my reviews
After owning one for about a year the plastic deformed enough that you cannot get the AAA battery out making it useless. This is the second Bose product that I have bought that suffered from poor engineering. Pretty much not buying from them anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 26, 2014
Noise cancelation works perfectly. I can't hear a word my wife is saying. Thank you Bose.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 years in - I love them as much as day one., June 7, 2014
I have owned these wonderful Bose headphones for a couple of years now and use them several hours a day. They are still going strong. Here are some pro's and con's:

THE GOOD

- The sound spoils me. Really. It is hard to tolerate listening to music with any other lesser speakers (not just headphones). Indeed, with these, One hears nuances in my music that I did not notice before. The way I would describe the music is CRISP, deap and spacious.
- Noise canceling is excellent. I am disabled after suffering brain trauma and cannot tolerate much noise nor commotion around my home - yet I have three small kids! These Bose save the day; all-day and everyday. I can block out most of the noise with the noise canceling just turned on without music. When the rest of the noise needs to disappear, I simply play some light music from my iPad. The world magically becomes completly silent. love them!
- They are extremely light and comfortable. I can wear them for hours a day with very little fatigue. These are the only over the ear headphones which I have owned that do not rub my ears and cause irritation.
- I love that e cord easily detaches from the headphones so that I can take advantage of the noise canceling without chords.

THE BAD

- They do create a practically airtight seal which causes a weird air preassure change that you feel. Wearing them with the noise canceling turned on thus has an effect on your ears as though you were swimming a few fear under water. I have gotten use to it but it took me a few days. Everyone whom I have had tried he headphones, notices this air preassure change. Yet, they tolerate it because they are blown away by the noise canceling and the quality of sound.
- The only other con is that they do cause my ears to heat up and slightly sweat. I find that I need to take the headphones off every 30 minutes or so, just to give my ears a breather for a few seconds.

In short, these bose QC 15's come highly recommended. If your purchase them, I can pretty much gaurentee that you will enjoy them and feel that they are well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars let's add another positive review., December 10, 2012
If I round the numbers slightly, there are six hundred reviews for these headphones. Four hundred rate these as "five star" and one hundred more rate them as "four star", and of course the remaining hundred are all over the place.
So, am I going to add anything that hasn't been said before? I doubt it.

Still, I like to do a review if I really love or really hate a product, and I love these headphones.

Recently, my job requires travel every month or two. I had a pair of $50-$75 dollar "noise canceling" (ha!) headphones. I would sit on a flight, miserable, because the sound quality was horrible and the "noise canceling" was barely detectable, really nothing more than a cruel joke. I use to try to offset the noise onboard by boosting the volume, thinking "great, now I'll damage my hearing". And if I switched to acoustic or classical music, I simply could not hear what I was listening too.

I really love to listen to music, but $300 on headphones specifically for travel, is not in my budget, so I was committing to suffering in flight, with bad sound and a lot of background noise, while I stared at my fellow passengers with envy, as they enjoyed music and videos in flight, thanks to their Bose headphones.

Fortunately, a family member gave me these as a gift a couple of months ago. Wow. When you open these up, you can't help but be impressed with the packaging and the neat carry case they come in, really nice quality.

I spent a night listening to these at home and I really loved them. I have to admit, I do not own any high end audiophile headphones, but I thought these sounded real nice: balanced sound, crisp middles, full bass. But not overpowering. Even in a home, the sound of the TV, refrigerator running, things you never really think about, just disappear.

But how would they be on a plane?? Let's just say that now I can fully enjoy my music. All of my music. From Hendrix to Bach. In fact, I have Paul Gailbraith on my Ipod, who plays beautiful solo classical guitar. Some of his recordings capture his breathing, and the sound really drives some people crazy. I hear it as well, but it doesn't bother me. These headphones are so clear, even on board the flight, his breathing was crystal clear and that might not sound like much, but after a year and half of lousy sound quality on board a plane, I am a real happy guy.

I do think the noise "canceling" implies that all the background noise disappears. It doesn't. But most of it does and the clear sound quality makes up for a slight "hiss" of airplane engines you may hear if you have NO music playing. Put on some music, and that too, goes away.

By the way, if you are stuck with hours to kill in an airport, rather than listening to nonstop PA announcements, pull out these headphones, put on some great music and work on your laptop or just relax for a bit, you can easily shut out the world around you, and that alone is worth $300. Happy customer? You better believe it. Last week I think I wore these for a full day on planes and at the airports and I hated to take them off when it was time to descend, etc.

If you are in a noisy environment, I do not think you can beat this noise canceling feature and the quality of the sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dogs? What dogs?, December 21, 2013
I bought these for my husband for Christmas along with an IPod. He works so hard I wanted him to be able to enjoy his beloved classical music without all the noise in our house. Let me clarify: we have a 6 year old, a Basset hound, and a Beagle. Of course I had to try them out while he was away this weekend:) I loaded his IPod with his favorites and took those out of the box. Right away you can feel the quality. The case is perfect. The different wires and attachments all fit in a little zippered pouch inside the case in "case" you need them (sorry it's been a long night haha). The headphones are soooo comfortable. I slipped the AAA battery (included thank you) in, turned on the noise cancelling button plugged them in the IPod and selected Dvorak concerto and... Excuse me? What did you say? There's a squirrel in the yard and you want to chase it away? And you are baying? Strange... I see your lips moving ( or flapping= Basset ) but can't hear a sound. Bring on the plane noise if these babies can cancel hounds, they are winners in my book. Of course I am realistic. I may have hear them had I selected a quiet Chopin Nocturne. PS this is not a professional or technical review, just the opinion of a mom and dog owner who wanted to offer to her husband the opportunity of having a moment alone with his favorite composer. Yes they are pricy. But they cancel hound noise. In my book that's priceless. I may have to get a second pair :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, poor durability, December 10, 2011
Never again. I got a pair as a gift. After two years, the wiring to the right earphone went bad. Called Bose --"No can repair. We'll sell you a reconditioned set at a discount" ($200 instead of the new price of $300.). Never mind. I bought a used pair on Amazon. The on-off switch was already out of whack and hard to set in the "on" position without jiggling. Then I dropped it on the carpet -- not the hard floor, a thick carpet. One plastic post that holds the right ear cup broke and the cup was left dangling. At this price, construction should count for something, right? I got a pair of Koss Quiet Zone phones I am so far very happy with. No more Bose phones.Love their computer speakers and Wave table radio/CD player. But no more head sets.