4.0 out of 5 stars Beyond My Expectations *
I bought the Bose SoundLink Air system last weekend on a whim. It was one of those, "Hmm it would be really nice if I had a..." moments.

Published on September 21, 2012 by ReviewGuru

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:27 Mins
Pro's
- Good sound if it's the only speaker in your home
- Set up was easy

Con's
- Play's out of sync (half second delay) with other speakers in your home when using AirPlay.
Published 21 months ago by Nick Boutelier

4.0 out of 5 stars Beyond My Expectations *, September 21, 2012
This review is from: Bose SoundLink Air Digital Music System (Electronics)

I went to Bose, found this system and bought it from Amazon (free shipping). I didn't look at any reviews because at the time of writing, there weren't any ANYWHERE. Try googling, you'll see what I mean. All you'll find are press releases.

So here is my review:

SETUP: 4 stars
There are different methods. The instructions out of the box require a computer to connect the system to your wifi network (AirPlay needs wifi). There are two other methods to hook up the Bose system to your wifi but to find them, you need to look at the owner's manual online.

Because I didn't have a computer handy, the alternative method I used required me to create an Ad-hoc wireless network on the Bose system, connect my iPhone to the Bose SoundLink Air wireless network, navigate to the Bose wireless network setup page with my iPhone, and enter in my home's wireless network info.

This might seem like a lot, but it's really fast. I was up and running in less than 5 minutes from the moment I pulled the system out of the box.

EASE OF USE: 5 Stars
As soon as you configure the wifi on the system, your iDevices (iPad, iPhone, iTouch, etc) will see the Bose SoundLink Air immediately.

To listen to music, simply start playing the music you want on any of your iDevices and hit the AirPlay button. Done.

PERFORMANCE: 5 Stars
My. Mind. Is. Blown.
Bose re-engineered this system since the last SoundLink Wireless system was released. This is the first Bose SoundLink system to support AirPlay (no Bluetooth) and it sounds phenomenal!! Amazing high, mids, and lows. This tiny system completely filled my living room with sound. I played everything from Mozart & Beethoven to Latin and Rap. The bass is a little muddled on bass tracks but once you turn up the volume a bit it seems to even out. Other than that, the sound is crystal clear with no noticeable distortion at high volume as long as you are streaming lossless or high bitrate music - garbage in, garbage out.

All in all, Bose has impressed me with the ease of setup and most importantly, the sound performance. It's my first Bose device and I couldn't be happier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sounding wireless speakers, typical Bose sound, November 10, 2012
This review is from: Bose SoundLink Air Digital Music System (Electronics)
I wanted to check the state of some new Airplay speakers, so I decided to compare a few of them, namely the:
- Bose SoundLink Air
- Pioneer A4 XW-SMA4-K
- Pioneer A3 XW-SMA3-K
- Logitech Wireless Boombox

Right off the bat, you can notice that the Logitech unit is in a different category. It's much less expensive (1/3 the price) and uses bluetooth rather than Wi-fi. However since it received great reviews online, I decided to compare it as well. I'm glad I did (read on!).

First of all, let's talk about what's common here.
When using a bluetooth speaker (the Logitech here is the only one), you get instantaneous response when you change track, change the volume, press play or stop: that's the beauty of using bluetooth. Also, apparently bluetooth has less bandwidth than wi-fi, so it compresses the music before sending it to the speaker. However in real usage, I could never tell the difference. If you are a real music expert and have an very good musical ear, maybe you can hear it but I certainly could not. All the music I played sounded great whether I played it on the bluetooth Logitech or on the other Airplay speakers.

Using Airplay, you will encounter a delay when you try to control the music. It's around 1 to 2 seconds before any action on your iPod/iPhone will take effect on the speaker (except for Stop and volume changes which are almost instantaneous but not quite). This delay will also occur when you skip songs (something I hate) however it does not occur if your let your playlist continue and your iPod is simply going on from one song to the next. This means if you are throwing a party and try to skip a tune, you will get silence for 2 seconds.

All three Airplay units have about the same wi-fi hotspot power level, so you can expect the same range as a typical wi-fi 2.4 Ghz router you may have in your home today. You may also encounter the same interference problems as your regular wifi.

All Pioneer and Bose speakers have remotes, which I did not use. I figure everyone will control these units via their iPod/iPhone/iPad or other devices anyway. None of the units have any mute button on the speaker themselves. Only the Bose unit has a mute button on the remove (Pioneer doesn't have any).

Pioneer A4
Aesthetically, the unit looks nice. It's fairly large and rather heavy: the speaker weighs 8.4 pounds (3.8 Kg). To power the unit requires the use of an external power brick. The cables are fairly long, so you won't have a problem to reach your outlet.
Buttons are placed in the correct spot and are easy to use. The touch buttons are capacitive (no tactile feedback when you press the button) and they respond quickly when pressed.
On the back of the unit, you find on one side an ethernet port with a USB port and on the other side the power port and a AUX input. The ethernet is a nice touch if you happen to have a hard-wired network at home and don't plan on moving the unit often: you'll never have to worry about wi-fi signal drop-offs.
The USB port can be used for both connecting directly to the speaker with your player (iPod, iPhone, etc) and playing music through USB or can act as a charger for your device. Unfortunately it only charges your device if the speaker is turned on (what was Pioneer thinking?).
When you charge a device you can still play music wirelessly to the speaker (good thinking here Pioneer). When playing music through the USB (as a dock) you cannot control the volume with your ipod: you must to use the volume buttons on the A4.

There also another button on the back labeled 'network setup'. This button can be used to setup your network but can also be used to set the speaker to be a wi-fi hotspot (more on this later).

When you power on the speaker, it takes a long time to be ready (34 seconds). However if you check the manual there's a 'quick-start' mode that you can set and once done it starts within less than a second. When in standby, the unit only uses 0.5 watt of power but if you set it to quick-start mode, it uses 3.5 watts in standby.
Once set to 'quick start' mode, the unit can also be awaken by your iPod, so you don't need to press any buttons on the unit to send music to it (I like that). This is particularly useful because the unit will power-off itself after a while if it doesn't receive any music. Once it's powered off, if it's not in quick start mode then you'll have to press the power-on button to see it on Airplay. If the unit is in 'quick start' mode then it's always visible on Airplay and as soon as you send music to it the A4 will wake-up and play your music (it takes 2-3 seconds to wake up).

Configuring the unit to work with your existing wireless network can be done in so many different ways, it can be confusing. By far the easiest way is to simply plug your iPod/iPhone, wait for the 'On' light to stop blinking, then connect your iPod in the back and then press both the input and Network Setup buttons at the same time for 3 seconds. You iPod will then display a message asking you if you allow it to share the network settings with the Pioneer; tap Ok on the iPod and you're done! All the wireless security settings and password were setup and the A4 is now able to be seen via Airplay. If you prefer, you can also set it up using a web browser, particularly if you want to change the wireless name of the A4.

The unit can connect to your existing wi-fi network but if ever you take it elsewhere where's there's no wi-fi, it also can act as its own wi-fi hotspot which is great. Switching the unit that mode (called 'wireless direct') is easy: power it on and press a button in the back for 3 seconds. It then appears as a new network (with a weird name 'Wireless Direct' and a bunch of numbers/letters that's unique to the unit) and you can join that network. Once you join the network, you can use Airplay in the normal way. I think that's a great idea. It gets even better with the A3 which is the portable version (more below).
In 'wireless direct' mode, I could operate the unit from 2 walls away (the unit was in a closed room and I was in another closed room (both doors closed) approximately 25 feet away. I didn't try further but checking with a wi-fi sniffer I could see that the signal was just as strong as the one from my wireless router (in 'g' mode only however). The A4 uses Wi-fi 2.4 Ghz channel #11, even if other channels are unoccupied. There's no way to change the channel even through the settings.
When connecting to your router, it supports modern encryption methods such as AES and TKIP with WPA2, which is a good thing. I had no problems configuring it to find my wireless router which doesn't broadcast its SSID.

I did not try the unit with a Android phone but I assume the experience is similar. I did not try DLNA either.
However I think adding these 2 was a great idea since it makes the unit really universal.

Now let's talk a bit about the sound. I found it to be well balanced. The unit really has great deep bass; Adele's song 'Rolling in the deep' is a real pleasure to listen to on this speaker. This is no surprise since this unit is the only one that has a dedicated subwoofer. This sub really makes a difference. On top of it, the unit can play really loud (louder than I could bear anyway!).
Of course, since this is a fairly compact unit, there's little to no sound separation between the left and the right channels. The speakers within the unit are so close together, you can't really hear separation between the two. That's true of all the speakers in this review anyway.

When controlling the volume from your iPod, the volume control isn't really linear. Set your iPod to half-volume and you will barely hear the A4. However it's very sensitive towards the 3/4 of the volume range, so fine adjustments can make a big difference. It requires a bit of fiddling but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. I didn't have that problem when using the volume buttons on the A4 itself. I also did not experience this issue with the Bose unit, so Pioneer has improvements to make here.

Overall, I found the A4 to be really good. Out of the 4 speakers listed above, this unit had the best sound; it was head-and-shoulders above the rest because of the subwoofer.

Pioneer A3
This speaker is similar to the A4 apart from 3 major differences:
- it feature a lithium-ion battery, so it's totally portable
- its a smaller form factor
- it doesn't have the subwoofer that the A4 has and the other speakers it has are slightly different, although similar (see specs on Pioneer site)

From the outside, it looks a lot the same as its bigger brother the A4; same buttons, same ports in the back. Unlike the A4 which has opened ports, the ports in the back of the A3 are all covered by a rubber flap, so it makes for great outdoor usage. However the piece of rubber is difficult to remove as there's nothing to grab on: you basically have to use your fingernails to pry it out. Pioneer should improve this.

The Quick Start mode only works like the A4, however only when the unit is connected to AC power; quick-start doesn't work while on battery power.
The battery is certified for 300 recharges and doesn't seem to be user replaceable. I don't see any replacement battery anywhere on the Pioneer web site or elsewhere. This is unlike Bose SoundLink Air which has a user-replaceable battery (the battery cost $90 but that's another issue).

I charged the battery full and was able to have it play for 2.5 hours at average volume before the battery indicated it had reached 50% of it's charge, so I have no difficulty believing that it can achieve 4 hours and more as indicated in the documentation (they say 6 hours at 50% volume).

Setting up the network is just like on the A4, so I won't repeat myself here.

The sound is not the same as the A4 however, far from it. The bass level is too low for my taste and disappointing for a unit at this price. The Soundlink Air definitely has better bass. I even compared it to the low-price Logitech and I have to say the Logitech beats its: it simply sounds better. The bass on the Logitech is better than on the A3, which cost 3 times more: this is not cool.

Another thing I noticed is that at max volume, the speaker doesn't play quite as loud when it's running on battery as when its plugged into the AC. However it's still plenty loud for me and the difference between the 2 is not huge but nevertheless noticeable.

On it's own, someone would think the A3 sound is good. However once you start to compare it side by side, it simply doesn't hold up to the competition above. The feature set is great and the portability is fine. I wish Pioneer would give it a better bass.

Bose Soundlink Air
This is my first time with a Bose speaker or sound system, however I had the opportunity to listen to their SoundDock in the past while at a friend's house. I was always impressed with the Sounddock ability to have good bass. I had read on the web about the 'Bose sound' but never got to compare it with other speakers head-on, so this proved interesting.

Let's start by the exterior. The unit looks good and actually has a cleaner look than the Pioneer (that's a matter of personal taste).
The power brick is enormous. When plugged vertically, it won't block your second outlet however if you have to plug it in a power bar where the connector are oriented horizontally then be ready to lose 2 outlets. I really wonder why Bose chose this format since there's absolutely no advantages.

The back of the unit has the AUX input, the power input and a micro-usb port used to configure the unit via your computer. On the bottom of the unit you also find a Reset button. The placement of this button is inconvenient since it's also used to set the unit in wireless direct mode (hotspot) but since you won't be doing this very often, it's not too bothersome.
There is a cover in the center on the back of the unit that can be removed to attach a battery (sold separately, unfortunately).
The side of the unit has volumes up/down capacitive buttons (no tactile feedback). There's no power button on the device: only volume up/down.
There's also no network port in the back, so you cannot connect it directly to your wired network at home, unlike the Pioneer one.

Configuring the unit must be done using an application you download from the Bose site and you must use your computer. I had no problem configuring it to use my wi-fi network which uses WPA2-Personal and doesn't broadcast its SSID. You can also edit the network name of the device during the setup.
You can set the unit use wireless direct (hotspot): simply unplug it, re-plug it and hold the 'Reset' button underneath the unit for 2 seconds until the indicator in the front turns amber. After a few seconds, the unit emits a tone and it can now be see as a new wireless network called (Bose Soundlink Air). Once you join that network, you can AirPlay to it. The wireless direct connection worked fine just as the one with my own wi-fi network (couldn't see any difference).
The unit is always on (always visible on your iPod) you simply press play on your iPod and it streams.
It only uses Airplay however, so if you have an Android device this speaker won't work (unless there's some Android app to simulate Airplay: I don't know).

If you have used a Bose Sounddock or other Bose speakers in the past, you will feel right at home. If you never used Bose speakers, you will notice the same thing I notice: Bose sound processing. Overall, the speaker sound good (better than the Pioneer A3) and there's good bass. It's even surprising to hear that bass from such a small unit. The mid-range however is a different story. Bose seems to use some processing that pushes the mid-range slightly forward and makes them more present. This sounds impressive initially and if you like the 'Bose sound' you will like this speaker as well. I personally found it tiring after a while because the mid-range and highs were too present. After listening to it for an hour I found myself going back to either the Logitech or the A4.
Don't get me wrong, this is far from a poor sounding speaker. Adele's song 'Rolling in the deep' sounded good, although it didn't have the power that the A4 had because of its subwoofer. If you plan on buying this unit but never had a Bose before, I suggest you try it over several songs (10-15 mins) to see if you like the color that Bose gives to their speakers.

When controlling the volume from your iPod, the volume control was very really linear, no problem here unlike the Pioneer units.

I didn't get to try the battery. However I couldn't help but notice that it was expensive ($90!). This means that once you add the battery to this unit, you have a system that's close to $450.

Overall, I found the Bose SoundLink Air to be really good but didn't like the mid-range being too present. This was my second favorite speaker of the bunch.

Logitech Wireless Boombox
Unlike the other units, this speaker is only bluetooth. It's also much cheaper than the other ones. You can find it around $130 while the other ones are around $350-400; what a difference.

In the back, the speaker has a power port and an AUX port. In the front, the little bluetooth button can be used to pair it with your device.
Pairing is pretty simple: when you power on the unit, it goes in pairing mode automatically. Once it's paired, things could be any easier: just select the unit in the list of speakers on your iPod/iPhone and play. Everything command is instantaneous, unlike on Airplay units.
A nice thing is also that if you power off the Logitech, when you power it back on it will remember the last device you paired it with. Furthermore, once the Logitech was turned back-on my Ipod also remembered it was playing on that speaker so it automatically sent my sound to it (I didn't have to select Logitech again in the list of speakers available). Brilliant.

If you want to change the pairing (i.e. pair with another iPod for example), there's a bit more trouble, however once you know how to do it it's easy. Press and hold the bluetooth button on the Logitech for a few seconds until the bluetooth led on the unit starts flashing, then go to your iPod and pair it. However if the iPod you are using had already been paired with the Logitech in the past, you will still see the Logitech listed in your list of bluetooth devices but you won't be able to pair to it: you must first remove it from the list, then redo the pairing.
It's annoying but once you figure it out then it works just fine.

Since it uses bluetooth, it should work with just about any device (Apple, Android) that can support bluetooth, which is a plus. The range of bluetooth can be less than a wi-fi router, however in practice I never has any problems with the range. I could play the unit through 2 walls and approx 20 feet apart. However again interference could lower the range you will get at your house, so it's best to try it out and see for yourself.

The battery is easy to replace and I tried the unit a couple of hours without issue (I didn't try to see how long the battery would last).

The sound on this unit was impressive. For a unit this price, it's really exceptional. The sound was well balanced and the bass was good although not quite as present as the Bose unit. However it was better than the A3 which cost much more. I could easily see why people buying this speaker were very satisfied with it. I tried the unit for a full day at work at low volume and I really liked it.
If I had to choose between the Bose and the Logitech, I would personally choose the Logitech because the bass sound difference isn't huge, because I find the mid-range boost of the Bose to be tiring on my ears and you just can't beat the price of the Logitech.

Using this unit, the volume control from my iPod had full range (no problems like the one I saw on the Pioneer units).

There you have it! So many choices... as once said in a movie: choose wisely :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Like the sound quality but still need some robust testing, October 10, 2012
This review is from: Bose SoundLink Air Digital Music System (Electronics)
My intention is to stream music to both upstairs and downstairs of my home wirelessly. I researched a lot, and zeroed in on two - Bose Soundlink Air and Sonos. I went to a store to hear the Sonos - even though Sonos seems to have an upper hand in functionality, I was not impressed with the sound quality at all. One thing that attracted me to Sonos was the ability to stream different music to different speakers from the same device, but that was not as important as the sound quality.

Bose recently released their Soundlink Air device - while I was researching, and I waited for a week to get at least 3 reviews before I decided to take a chance and buy it, mainly due to Bose's reputation of delivering excellent sound quality.

I received the speaker via UPS on time. It took me about 3 minutes to connect it to my WiFi - the instructions ask you to connect to a computer using USB to configure the WiFi which I did. Now I stream music from my iPhone, iPad or iTunes on any of my computers to this device. The sound quality is very good, though not as good as B&W (See below). It is very loud, has a great bass, the voice is very distinct, and at 1/3rd the volume, it is loud enough for my kids to wake up screaming from their bed (for the loud alarm call :)

I also have an Apple TV connected to my Plasma TV, and from my computer's iTunes, I select the "Multiple Speakers" option to send to both the Bose and Apple TV so I can listen to music in different rooms. I plan on buying a second Bose speaker after more tests, so I don't have to burn the life of my plasma TV just to listen good music.

The only problem I noticed was, once in a while, the connection drops. I believe this is because of my WiFi because at the same time, my AppleTV device also doesn't play the music. The other problem is, when I use my microwave, the WiFi becomes spotty and the device doesn't play well - I do not believe either of them are problems with the device. I am going to run some "stress tests" this weekend and update my review.

The other device that I checked is the Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin - this is by far the best I heard - the sound blows you away, but since I am planning on buying 2, I did not want to blow away my budget as well - so I settled with the Bose.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, April 23, 2013
Nick Boutelier "Nick" (Brentwood, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Length:: 1:27 Mins

Pro's
- Good sound if it's the only speaker in your home
- Set up was easy

Con's
- The speakers are not 802.11n compatible, so they eat up a lot of your home bandwidth. Using more than two is virtually unplayable while browsing internet.
- Sometimes disconnects from AirPlay. Have to turn the speaker off, then on, to reconnect.
- Not battery portable. When they say "portable", they mean you have to plug in it's oversized wall charger to a new location.

The "playing out of sync" and "eating up my bandwidth" are dealbreakers for me. I would not recommend purchasing this unit if you want a multispeaker system.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, poor connectivity, December 17, 2012
This review is from: Bose SoundLink Air Digital Music System (Electronics)
Pros:
- Sounds great. Exceeded all expectations on sound.
- Good volume.
- Doesn't take up a lot of space.

Cons:
- The Wi-Fi connection is unreliable and often cuts out. We bought the speaker to use in the kitchen. The signal strength in that room is fine, but it is subject to interference from the microwave. EVERY TIME we turn on the microwave the speaker loses connection, and it sometimes fails to recover when the microwave finishes. How is it that a $350 speaker designed to stream media doesn't support dual band? A dual band radio would have added like $1 max to Bose's bill of materials, but it would have allowed me to jump up into the 5GHz band, away from microwave and other sources of interference. I'll tell you what Mr. Bose, charge me $351 if you have to, but give me dual band! Very disappointing...
- No WPS? Are you serious? I have to connect a USB cable and download an install utility. What is this, 2005?
- The power supply is ridiculously large and unwieldy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge, November 14, 2012
This review is from: Bose SoundLink Air Digital Music System (Electronics)
Setting up the SoundLink, including updating its software, renaming it and connecting it to my wireless network took about four minutes. I then easily found the device (with its new name) in iTunes and hit Play. I actually thought I was listening to my main stereo when it came on, but realized that it was the SoundLink and was blown away.

I've read reviews complaining about bass response at high volumes, but those must have been VERY high volumes because it dealt with about as much as I could stand and filled a 350 sq ft room with ease. In fact I had to turn it down.

I also have tried the Sonos Play3 and although it's great and sounds amazing too, it will not work with iTunes (at least the Play3 won't). The Play5 will work with airport express because it has a aux/line in but then you have to spend $100 on an airport express. Why bother?

One other huge advantage is the optional rechargeable battery pack which allows you to unplug it and move it to wherever you want (within range of your wifi, of course).

One complaint: the power adapter is absurdly large. Not sure why or if it has to be that way, but it's the largest power adapter I've ever seen on a First World piece of consumer electronics. But don't let that stop you. This thing rules.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Say Enough Good About This, October 13, 2012
This review is from: Bose SoundLink Air Digital Music System (Electronics)
I have never written an Amazon review but take them as gospel before purchasing any product and for the first time I have come across such a fantastic product I feel compelled to give back to the community and review this item.

I recently upgraded to the iPhone 5 with not a lot of thought. I am very Apple loyal, and Bose loyal too for that matter. I purchased a Bose Portable Sounddock a few years ago and have nothing but positive pleasant experiences with the device. I have never looked back.

After purchasing the iPhone 5 I quickly came to realise the Portable Sounddock was a little bit out-dated and wireless was a way of the future. The Bose rep. told me there was an easy fix and to put a blue tooth receiver in my Portable Sounddock. Call me superficial, but I wanted something sleeker looking and didn't want my current sounddock to be sitting there with a Bluetooth receiver, so I made the decision to upgrade.

The set up was a little tedious, but I think I was just having a bad day and it was late when I went to set it up.

Beside from the not so super quick set up, I can't say enough positive things about this unit. If you plan on going from docking your iPod to wireless, you have no idea how much more you will love your Bose. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Bose prior, but let's be honest, having to dock your phone is more than inconvenient. I find that since I have gone wireless, I use the system so much more than I would than normal because I don't have to dock my phone.

I was concerned about the unit's performance and functionality outside of your wireless home network (beach, BBQs etc). I was originally told if you were outside the network you needed to hardwire your device in using the 3.5mm to 3.5mm headphone jack. Not true. If you are outside of the network the unit creates it's own wireless network which you connect to through your phone. The only downfall to this is you cannot go on the internet while you are streaming as your wifi is hooked up is to the Bose. No big down fall for me seeing as though when I am socialising and spending time with my friends, Facebook is the last place I want to be.

All in all, a great product. Well done to Bose for being proactive and having an answer to the iPhone 5. Please bear in mind this unit is completely specific to the iPhone and is not compatible with android products for example. Not really a problem for me seeing as though I plan on using an iPhone for a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bose does it again., September 22, 2012
This review is from: Bose SoundLink Air Digital Music System (Electronics)
I have used several Bose systems, but I have been waiting for one with AirPlay. We happened to walk into the Bose Store to look at replacing an old Bose Dock and this was brand new and just in (came out on 9/18)!!! Well, after looking at other products, my wife said I could get the new Soundlink Air and I did not argue! It was easy to set up and sounds great! This is a great addition to our houses speaker system and with the Apple line of products.

It sounds great and fills the room. We are getting the additional battery so we can take anywhere in the house or even outside!

If you love audio and need AirPlay this is the way to go!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great System, but a little expensive, September 22, 2012
This review is from: Bose SoundLink Air Digital Music System (Electronics)
I purchased the Soundlink Air to replace my SoundDock II. I thought it was time to cut the cord and no longer use docks, 30 pin connectors. I was waiting on this system and glad I did. Scores out of 10, (10 =better)
Sound-9 - Great, great sound. Unmatched when comparing to Sonis, Logitech, Beats.
Design- 7- Simple easy design, but the plug is huge, It has auxiliary input. Also a volume up and down. The unit will go to sleep after 1hr of no use.
Ease of Setup- 6. They didn't give you a manual so you have to download from the internet. The software utility to configure the system was the option I chose. The adhoc to sign in at 192.168.1.1 was my router so that pretty much limited my option. I did talk to Bose and if you don't have a computer there is a work around to configure but you can't follow the manual instructions.
Quality of High, Mids, Lows- 8. I cranked the sound and held the quality to nearly full volume.
Connection- 7. There was a software update out of the box I needed to download but after that the connection stays connected. Once in a while you might have distortion caused by interference. This is common in any wireless connection including bluetooth. This happens, but has been rare.
Price- 7. I felt it should be under $300. The Soundlink Series II is wireless option and rechargeable. I guess Bose feels that $50 is the premium for Air but you lose the rechargeable function unless you want to pay another $90 for a battery pack. I wish it came as a rechargeable for $349.
Satisfaction -8.

I guess there are trade offs, but if you are looking for music output get this over the Soundlink II. Maybe someday there will be a system with both Bluetooth and Airplay. That would be awesome and my next unit.
Brian

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, October 28, 2012
Greg Clark (Cape Coral, FL, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bose SoundLink Air Digital Music System (Electronics)
I've been looking for a speaker with a little more "oomph" and of a little better quality than my Logitech 715i (which I keep at work and continue to enjoy - it's a fine product). My wife and I also made an impulse buy last year and bought not one, but two Jawbone Jamboxes. Yes, they're nifty and we probably like the "cool factor" of them more than anything else. But the sound is small, like the devices. We then listened to the new, "super-sized" Jambox, and it was very underwhelming. Same with the new Bose Soundlink Portable. We thought this would be IT, but it definitely wasn't. As a last resort, the saleman showed us the new Soundlink Air. Did we have Apple devices? Were we familiar with Airplay? Yes and yes. Did we mind that it was corded (a battery is available for $78, yikes!). No, a cord was fine with us, as we already had three wireless speakers in the family for our portable needs.
Then we listened to it. That sold us. The sound quality is very, very good. Unless you're a real audiophile with a very expensive sound system, this little speaker may very well be the best thing you've ever heard for its size. We have a Bose Lifestyle 20 system with jewelcube speakers (sure it's 10 years old, but hey, it's still a Bose!), and this little Soundlink has more clarity. We both agreed that we're hearing sounds on individual songs that we've never heard before. It just arrived two days ago and we've been playing it nonstop since. Setup was very simple and quick, and we were up and running in minutes. I have an iphone 4s, my wife has a 4, and we have a 1st generation ipad. All three sync perfectly to the Soundlink, and we had a ball staying up till quite late that first night switching back and forth between our phones, playing each other our favorite songs. I unplugged it, took it out to the garage, and plugged it back in while I washed my car a little while ago. Then, brought it back inside and plugged it back in where it originally was. On those occasions, the Soundlink re-acquired the connection with my wireless network immediately, with no problem at all. And I just have a run-of-the mill, off the shelf router.
I cannot recommend this product enough. Kudos to Amazon, also. I saved a little money here vs. the Bose store, and delivery was quick.

Bose SoundLink Air Digital Music System