5.0 out of 5 stars A Great But Pricy Sound System
Published on December 2, 2008 by TMStyles

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced but good quality.
I was hoping for a good music player and a alarm clock. It makes a decent music player and alarm clock. It is supposed to have really good sound. The sound is muttled and there are no adjustments to make it any better.

Published on March 23, 2009 by wyldwrh

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great But Pricy Sound System, December 2, 2008
I have enjoyed my Bose Wave music system for just over a month and I am very pleased with its performance. This is the second or third generation of the iconic Bose one-piece tabletop sound system that is intended to make you think you are listening to a much more complicated and professional component system. And, to a great extent, it does just that--or at least, it is closer to a stereo component sound than to a stand-alone run-of-the-mill radio sound. It certainly features a deeper range of bass sounds than any other one-piece radio I have ever encountered.

Bose has pioneered its spectacular sound machines which seem highly defined by their innovative speaker systems which they refer to as "waveguide speaker technology". This one-piece system produces a clear, natural, room-filling sound without the need of external speakers. It has a very innovative physical design with a small unintrusive footprint that sits well on a night stand or in the kitchen. I particulrly appreciate the Titanium Silver color which seems appropriate for any area of the home. It is simple to install right out of the box and has the FM/AM radio, CD player, and clock/alarm built in. There is an auxiliary input for an MP3 player or other alternate sound source.

I especially appreciate the alarm system that opens softly and gently rises in volume as you awake. It comes with a credit card size remote control; however, I purchased the larger backlit remote with a dedicated cradle that I use instead. All in all, this is an effective and very impressive one-piece tabletop sound system that I enjoy daily. It is a bit pricy, but ultimately, you get what you pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAAAT!? 500 dollars for a stereo? Is this the 80's?, June 20, 2012
This review is from: Bose Wave® Music System III - Titanium Silver (Electronics)
I bought this system through the Bose website because they offer a 90 day no questions asked return policy which includes shipping, PLUS 6 month zero percent financing, so I could try it out and only put up a hundred bucks to decide if I want to keep it. The first thing I thought when I saw the different options were that the prices are RIDICULOUS. For one of these guys without the CD player, it's 350 bucks. You add a simple decades old technology CD player, and they bump it up 150 dollars. Insane. However, if you don't listen to CDs and use your iPhone or MP3 player to listen to the majority of your music, you can get the CD playerless model, and add bluetooth connectivity for 100 bucks, which totals 450 for the system. I opted to go for this model, partly because I can always add bluetooth later but can't add the CD, and because I buy most of my music through amazon and it's all burnable to MP3 format, so I have CDs with over 120 songs on them in alphabetical order that I listen to in my car, and it's a huge bonus that they all work on this CD player.

So, moving along... Unpacking and getting it up and playing is as easy as the listing said it would be. Take the cord, plug it into the unit, and plug the other side into the wall, and voila- you're ready to go. One thing that I want to mention is that this does not come with an FM/AM antenna included, but the instruction manual says that you can plug one in, so that's something you may want to consider if you're living in the boonies or out in the middle of BFN. The unit uses the power cord as the antenna, and the manual states that the cord should be straight to get optimal results, but I haven't really had any problems with getting the stations I want to listen to, so it might be YP, but not MP. (My problem)

The design of the unit is very simple and seemingly seemless. There is a "touch pad" at the top of the unit, which is nothing more than an invisible button useful for the alarm functions, a slot for a CD, an lcd display, all on a clunky, though charmingly attractive box. The remote control is essential to this music player's operation, and Bose is probably counting on me losing it so they can wring me out for more cash. The remote is nothing special, and almost reminds me of those remotes I used to get when I had Kenwood CD players and disc changers installed in my car. Nonetheless, if you lose it, you won't be able to use this thing for much.

There are four inputs/outputs on the back of the system, and they are: FM antenna, Bose link, AUX in, and Headphones. The AUX in and Headphones outputs are both 3.5 mm, which is the smaller of the two main connectors, but if you have a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter (that costs like 2 bucks on amazon) you can plug in your digital piano, or guitar from the amp into the AUX IN. I've done both, and the sound, especially from my Casio Previa Digital Piano came out about a million times cleaner and more pleasing than the stock speakers. You can also use professional headphones with quarter inch jacks with the adapter, but that almost defeats the purpose of spending 500 bucks+ on a stereo set.

After taking the time to learn the components, the remote and operation, alarm functions and time setup etc. and finally getting to really listen to music, it's easy to remember why I bought this thing in the first place. The sound is as good as money can buy. I'm a leisure musician living with a family of musicians, and we all appreciate the distinctive Bose sound. The songs I've listened to seem to come to life, and the speakers don't miss a single detail. Playing Christopher Cross's "Sailing" turns the living room into a warm day in the bay, listening to Kenny Chesney takes me back to my roots in Tennessee, "Turkish March" transforms the space into a music hall, and the bass from Juvenile's "Back that Azz Up" really makes my house feel like the VIP room at the club. When I listen to my Wave, I like to just close my eyes and absorb the sound that you almost never get to hear in your car or from your ipod. It's ear candy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great even at a Distance, September 20, 2009
David Muskera (Huntington, WV United States) - See all my reviews
I had the Bose Wave Music System (one disk changer and remote) for a week or so now. Never thought I would pop the $$ for this but when I found it at a good price, I said "go for it". I'll admit, I'm surprised and impressed. I did expect it to be different, better and so forth - just because of the reputation - but I was not prepared for the details of that difference. The sound is remarkable. It not only sounds great when you're in the room with it but also because of how well it produces music throughout several adjoining rooms . For example, when I am in my living room, two rooms away from where I placed the Bose (in the kitchen at the rear of the house and facing the back) the music sounds almost even better - its rich and full and more rounded than any of my other music systems with the possible exception of the one that takes up a great deal more space. I like listening to it from my reading chair in the living room....great full powered sound without being overpowered by it... I hear details of CD music I've not heard before from such a distance. I think the distance listening factor of this unit is the most remarkable feature of all that are mentioned.

Some reviewers have been critical of the unit being controlled only by the remote with no on board buttons. I can see that as a problem if you have kids and pets (who like to eat remotes - and yes, both the kids AND the pets might do that).... but for me, a single guy living alone, it is no problem. Actually, the unit looks sleek without all those buttons on top and you don't have to worry about dust accumulation. Just the same, I do recommend getting a backup remote - easily available on the eBay market (just Google it). If you've got an extra $500 for a new unit, go for it...or, if your funds are more limited, look around. It can be found for less. In my case and considering what I paid, it was more than worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars comparing Bose Wave and Boston Acoustics Trio, February 20, 2011
Aman (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I originally ordered the Boston Acoustics Trio because of better features but due to a couple of issues (details below) decided to switch to the Wave. While I had both units, I did a side by side comparison, and here is a summary:

Sound Quality: Both the Trio and the Wave sound great. Listening to the same radio station and CD in both, the sound is different and IMHO the Bose sounds better. Especially in higher frequencies and lighter tones. Some may like the Trio better. But the difference is not likely to be a deal breaker for either.

Sleep feature: Both units allow a programmable sleep time (up to 90 min). When it is time to turn off, the Wave gradually lowers the volume and turns off. The Trio suddenly turns off at whatever volume it was, which can be jarring. Bose wins.

Controls on Unit: Trio controls are nice to use, and most people will not need the manual for common tasks. The Wave has no buttons on the unit itself, every control is through the remote. If you buy the iPod dock, you get an additional remote for the Wave and then one can leave one remote near the unit. But still, the lack of a Snooze button and CD eject button on the Wave is annoying. And one has to worry about not loosing the remote or having a dead battery one day. The Trio definitely wins.

Remote control: Comparable features on both. Bose does offer an optional bigger premium remote with back-lit buttons.

Radio: The Trio shows radio station names and the name of the currently playing song. The Wave only shows the station frequency. Wave does have one more pre-set memory location. Boston Acoustics wins.

iPod: The iPod dock was free with the Wave at the time of this writing (through Bose) and deeply discounted with the Trio (through Boston Acoustics). The docks work on both, but are only mediocre in terms of the amount of control over playback one gets from the remote. The Trio dock does allow for the alarm to be set to wake to iPod. The Wave dock needs a separate bulky power adapter while the Trio dock gets its power from the same wire that connects it to the Trio. Both do charge the iPod. Trio wins.

Alarm: The Wave has one alarm, which cannot be programmed for days of the week. The Trio has two alarms each of which can be set for all 7 days, weekdays, or weekends. Trio wins. (BUT, the Trio seems to have a bug, also noted by some reviewers for Trio. I set both alarm 1 and alarm 2 on the Trio. Alarm 1 was set for an earlier time and it did go off at the set time. The Snooze worked. But when I turned off the alarm using the correct method, two bad things happened: Alarm 1 automatically reset to 12am, Alarm 2 turned off and did not sound at the set time.)

Wake to: The Wave allows the alarm to be set to CD or Radio. The Trio allows CD, Radio, iPod, or a tone alarm. Trio wins.

Battery backup: Both the Trio and Wave remember the time, alarm, and radio presets in case of power failure. Neither will sound the alarm if there is no power at the time the alarm is supposed to sound. Its worthwile to note that many cheap radio alarms have a backup alarm on batteries that sounds even if there is no power.

Clock: Neither adjusts for daylight savings. The time display IMHO is better on the Bose and easier to read, though the screen on the Trio is higher resolution. Both allow for changing the display brightness. The automatic brightness change on the Trio is jerky and not pleasant to look at when its changing. The Bose brightness change seems imperceptible.

Looks: This is very subjective. I liked Bose better. More importantly, my wife liked Bose better and she has a good aesthetic sense. Maybe that's why she married me :-)

FM Antenna: The Wave's FM antenna is part of the power chord, so no need to extend and hide an additional wire. The Trio has a separate wire for the FM antenna. Bose wins.

AM Antenna: Hidden for the Wave. Exposed as a twisted wire for the Trio, which for me was damaged on delivery. Bose wins.

Price: Bose spends more on marketing and customer service. They have local stores where one can experience the products in person. As expected, Bose is more expensive.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced but good quality., March 23, 2009
wyldwrh (Tell City, IN USA) - See all my reviews

I didn't like the fact that there were no buttons but I've found that it doesn't really cause to much of a problem as long as the batteries are good. It does however have a couple annoying features.

It has an auto dim feature for low light which I would rather disable but it won't let you. It will let you turn it up some with makes it tolerable. When you set the alarm it comes on low but it automatically goes up to 30 which I wanted louder but again no adjustment.

Now the good features. It seems very well built and sturdy. The design is attractive and fits in most places with no problem. It does have a Cd player which works well as long as you don't what to preset tracks (It will only shuffle).

With all this said, I still have to give it a three. I would give it a four if the price tag wasn't so high. For the money, I expect a few more adjustments. It is very easy to use however and serves it purpose well. It does need to have more options. It works well and seems like it will last a good long time. I'm fairly happy with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good choice for senors or older users, January 6, 2013
We bought on of these for our 90 year old mother, who has moved into a retirement home and needed something more compact and easy to use than her old component system. We are probably going to be returning it due to two seemingly trivial problems.

- the headphone jack is on the BACK of the machine, so to hook up headphones you have to lift the radio, turn it around and search for the tiny black-on-black jack. If you have the multi-CD changer the radio part comes off when you do this and is fussy to reposition. She likes to listen with speakers during the day but headphones at night when it would bother others, but moving the radio to plug and unplug it on a daily basis is just too hard for her, as I suspect it is for many other older users. Why not just leave the headphones, or put a short extension cord on them to allow plugging and unplugging? You can't because when the earphones or extension cord are plugged in the speakers are automatically turned off. There is apparently no way to fix this without doing very tricky internal rewiring which would void the warranty.

- the remote is too small. She can use it, but just barely. It's hard to read and the tiny, tiny buttons with little feedback are hard for her to push. She frequently pushes the wrong button then gets confused. And she frequently misplaces it because it is so tiny (and the Bose has no controls on the radio, so without the remote it cannot be used).

It's too bad Bose won't put the headphone jack on the front where it could be found and used like on most other modern systems. And it would be easy to offer a larger remote for the old or hard of seeing. My impression is that older buyers are one of Bose's largest market, too bad Bose will not direct some engineering at them - rather than just advertising!

BTW if you are buying one of these for an older user, avoid the multy-CD changer - it makes the system much more complicated to use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just Okay...Not Spectacular- Over priced, September 10, 2012
Needed a new radio for my livingroom and wanted a quality, small sound system.
this Bose Wave Radio III had many of the features I was looking for except for two things, no integrated iPod/iPhone connection and the price was a little higher than I wanted to pay. I purchased the Bose Ipod dock separatley for $99

None the less I brought it and am happy with some of the sound and quality. The remote control seems cheap and could be an issue if you use the radio/player a lot (buttons might wear out sooner - seems they could have added some extra buttons on the radio itself - not just only rely on the remote).
There is the touch power off/on feature which is nice feature. It plays MP3 disks and regular music CDs. The sound was only good. I had to turn the volume way up to get a decent tones and sounds from my music CDs do need some volume to get the best sound, this system did not perform as I would have expected. I eventually moved it to my bedroom which is smaller. That's the only way I was able to get the nice loud sounds I like from the big box speakers. Unfortunately i ened up purchaseing the big speakers and system for my livingroom. This system is not for those that like to adjust bass and treble since there is not a button to do so. i also do not like that you have to use the reomote for everything. this could potentially be a problem in the future if the reomte is misplaced or damage.

1.0 out of 5 stars Electronic piece of crap, December 10, 2012
Had Wave III system with multi cd changer for 2 years (11/2010 purchase) and cds starting skipping. Called local reputable electronics dealership. They cant service because Bose wont support any U.S electronic repair facilities with parts. However, they will do it for some countries overseas. Bose wants you to pack it up and ship it for a $100 repair bill with a three-week turnaround. Doesn't include shipping and tax. Customer service rep said they do that for "customer convenience". Huh? After that conversation, they're not getting any more of my money. So I popped the lid. Hoping against hope maybe a good air clean could fix it. Wished everyone could see inside before they buy one of these. Definitely form over function. Good looking piece of equipment that has good sound but extremely poor quality electronics inside. Surprised it lasted this long. Air clean didnt help. Just thought you ought to know before you buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok system...if you haven't heard anything else, November 4, 2012
I would like to think of myself as a non-audiophile, yet I love music and want it to sound good, just not willing to put 10k into that passion. I thought the Bose would fit the bill, I had a B&W Zeppelin (original, not Air) and it opened me up to what music can sound like, it was like hearing my music again for the first time, I absolutely loved it, however, it kept having this digital noise on quieter moments, even after a firmware update. I returned it to B&W and they replaced it with another, that still had the same issues. I got rid of that and purchased the Wave Music System as I also wanted to listen to CD's. While it has a good sound, I could notice the top end was almost completely missing, I thought the mids were the highlight and the lows were serviceable, given the small stature of the Wave Music System III, although they were sometimes overbearing, I just couldn't get over what was missing, given I had heard these songs before on a more dynamic speaker, I retuned my system after about a month of ownership, of note, the Bose Store in my area was very helpful and courteous, and even though Bose manufactures almost everything in Mexico and China, the Wave Music System is still made in the USA. I would recommend the Bose if you want something still made in the USA and you are upgrading from an inferior system, but the Bose is something you can't step down into once you have gone above it fidelity-wise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, great look....pricey, but worth it, September 7, 2009
Just completed a major kitchen remodel and when all was done, we realized the one thing we hadn't considered was MUSIC. Previously, we had an undercabinet Sony unit which was fine, but with the new kitchen, we had built-in undercabinet lighting and no where to mount a similar unit. Ended up picking up a refurbished Bose Wave in Titanium Silver at a Bose Store for 20% off...while still pricey @ $400, the clean look, excellent sound and radio reception made it worth every penny. Its a nice, clean look that blends in nicely with our blue/white granite and stainless appliances, and really fills the kitchen/dining area with sound...all our friends have commented on the great sound. It's also nice to be able to plug in our Ipods with a standard head-phone-like connector...although Bose offers an Ipod dock (w/ charging capability) for $100, the one review on Amazon was not so great so we passed on that. Definitely recommend this unit.

Bose Wave® Music System III - Titanium Silver