5.0 out of 5 stars review for BV9995B
Published on July 30, 2010 by James Lambert

1.0 out of 5 stars You'll regret it!
Published on October 14, 2010 by Stefan A. Upshaw

5.0 out of 5 stars review for BV9995B, July 30, 2010
This review is from: Boss BV9996B In-Dash 7-Inch DVD/MP3/CD Widescreen Receiver with USB, SD Card, Bluetooth and Front Panel AUX Input (Detachable Front Panel) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I have had this for about six months now and so far so good. I think for the price it is a great product, it has a large screen (must have tinted windows to be able to see it clearly) that is pretty good, touch screen works perfectly. IMO Sound quality is good, I'm sure if you are willing to pay $1,000 for a deck this may not sound very good to you, but for me it sounds great.

RDS works okay, sometimes it will get it wrong but will fix it soon after (almost like it can't get a good enough signal).
The 3.5mm jack works great and sounds good.

Bluetooth is kind of a long story, I connected it to my iphone and it sounded just okay (some noise) but it always connected and worked. With my Nexus one it sounds great (almost as good as the 3.5mm jack) but sometimes it will connect and work great and other times it will cut in and out no matter where the phone is it. using it for calls is out of the question for me because I have a diesel with strait exhaust and mud tires..... they just can't hear me.
plays the few video files I have tried fine (through the usb port).
This USB port will not work with a disk drive only flash drives, I am guessing not enough power. I tried getting a powered USB three way but that didn't work either.

The Clock is the most frustrating thing of all, sometimes it will show am/pm sometimes it will show military time and sometimes I have seen this "21:04am" LOL. I have changed the settings several different times, read the manual, and looked online for solutions but had no luck.

Overall:
If you are looking for a deck for your car/truck and don't have much money to spend this is the way to go. Sure it has a few hickups now and then but considering what you get for the price I am more than willing to deal with a few flaws.

1.0 out of 5 stars You'll regret it!, October 14, 2010
I have lived with this unit for about 6 months or so now. and all I can say is avoid Boss like a plague! The touchscreen gets washed out by any sunlight (yes even with tinted windows). The display has many gremlins, sometimes when you first cut on the car you get a blue and white lines across the whole screen that can only be cured by cutting the car off and then back on, no just cutting off the radio or closing and reopening the screen wont work. Then when it does work just drive down the road on a hot day, then the screen turns orange or red, all you see are numbers but no words.

Ok, now the remote! big and thin with buttons that are all spaced apart the same. You cant reference any point on the remote so that you can use it without looking at it. You have to look first before you take off and then keep your finger at your reference point which for me was the volume, from there you could go up for forwarding the cd to the next track. The remote by itself will make you wish you had looked and thought about this purchase more.

The Sound, well I was able to get the music to sound good, but ReeeeeeeeReeeeeer to the beat of the excellerator had me digging for problems for the whole time I had the unit installed. The unit is just plain cheap with terrible noise filters, I finally solved the problem with a new deck from a more reputable company (ends with wood). Oh and dont let me forget when you turned off the cd player you could hear crosstalk from the radio, when you turned it all the way down you could hear the radio along with the whining screeeeeereeeeee noises.

Outputs, well the sub only had one RCA output that caused problems with my multi amp setup. i had to make one output lead over to 2 amps, by the time the signal split 4 ways there was nothing left but low out put, high noise. it sounded like trash. The front and rear had seperate left and right outputs so they where ok.

The interface, using this monstrosity on a daily basis wasnt that bad not a deal breaker but the fact that most cd controls are done on the touchscreen that didnt light up properly made it impossible to use on most days.

Bottom line is that if you dont have money for better now then blowing a couple of hundred on this thing is only gonna set you back further from a real radio! Don't waste you time or your money. My lower cost non dvd unit from a better brand (ends with wood), blew this away within one minute of install. The unit from the reputable company didn't have the noise, did have the dual sub out puts that let my amps get what they needed to vibrate my car agian. Now I can turn down the volume all the way and guess what I get? nothing! no noise, no radio talk show, no reeeeee!

Dont do Boss!

I've been installing my own gear since 1977, I have one four channel amp running front and rear, two 2 channel amps running one sub each. With this radio I had to add a cross over since they didnt build one into the deck. I have 5600 peak watts conservatively speaking i would call it 110 rms to the fronts and rears and about 500 rms from each sub amp bridged. yesterday with the boss i was ashamed to show my friends, tomorrow with the wood I'll be ridin down on'em HARD!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Happy With This Product, September 30, 2010
Tracy H (Wilmington, DE) - See all my reviews
I purchased this product for my son. Received it, installed it, and now after only having it for 4 months, it no longer reads CD's of any kind. I called AMAZON about this problem and they referred me to the manufacturer. I have been informed by the manufacturer to return the product to them at my cost, and in addition send them a $15.00 cashiers check or money order so they can ship the product back to me when it is repaired. I DEFINITELY WILL NOT be buying any more BOSS AUDIO SYSTEMS or any other products this company manufactures.

2.0 out of 5 stars Think twice before buying this product!, April 10, 2010
I bought this stereo DVD player with the upmost of optimism.Being cheaper isn't always better when it comes to car electronics believe me.This stereo is proof.I had it installed professionally at best **** .The stereo does look nice and feel solid.Forget seeing the spectrum dancing display during the day.At night though everything looks beautiful.The LCD screen is nice too.The sound out of it sounded good through my Rockfords.Not so great through my sub.Sounded a little muffled at times.It only has one mono sub output line.I paid extra for a Y adapter for my sub.Now the bluetooth worked awesome with my motorola Trac-fone.The stereo would mute when I answered and the other person would here you through the provided microphone and you would hear them through your car speakers.It was clear on both ends.Now the downfall was some other things.One thing was I when you preset your radio stations and go to pick one of those preset stations afterwards the radio goes directly to that station......for about ten seconds then goes back to your original station.Another annoying thing is when your listening to a CD about fifteen minutes into the CD the stereo stops playing the Cd and on its own switches back to the radio.Then one minute later the CD will come back on but not where it left off.And the final straw was when it wouldn't read my Ipod at all.So I had it professionally uninstalled and sent it back.In this sorry case I guess you can say you get what you pay for!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, December 28, 2010
I love this all in one deck. It is fantastic for the price. I've had it in my car for a few months and have never had problems. It's easy to use, has a clear clean pictue,the blue tooth works great as does everything else about it. I also had a backup camara installed with it which is great with tinted windows, I'm fairly sure it already saved me from backing into someone in a parking lot. Bottom line... If your checking it out and don't have alot of funds buy this deck. I love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars good product, November 27, 2010
This a good product. It does have a glitch once in awhile where I have no sound coming from aux. I just turn it off and back on and it works fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars I did not like the BOSS brand radios, June 7, 2011
The radio itself is nice, but I have only been 4 months and already installed with the touch screen does not work.
And buy the model with Bluetooth for my father's car and damaged his video.
Definitely I'm not happy with the BOSS brand may be economical but not durable.

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 3:28:51 PM PST
We appreciate you purchase of Boss Audio product. I am sorry to hear you have had some troubles with your purchase. We gladly stand behind our product and would be more then happy to warranty that unit for you. Please contact us so we could further assist you with your Warranty and Service Informaton at (805)751.4853

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much for nothing..., December 1, 2013
It seemed to be very interesting buy,but it turned to have many problems.not good connection with radio,not all CDs playing,very slow touch screen....at the end I put my old one back to my car..

1.0 out of 5 stars just TRBL, November 30, 2012
to be honest i was excited to get this radio, good price for what you are getting, worst idea or my life, lol. it has a cool 7 inch screen that is a plus. but the OS is trash it is slow as a snail, touch screen or when you press buttons, it cant be hooked up wrong or you cant view the videos or even look at usb option, i feel like it doesnt have enough power cuz it shuts off every 5 seconds if you using it to loud or too much, the screen does a cool thing where it goes all white and then doesnt work. the blue tooth doesnt always stay connected, it has a hissing noise when nothing is playing and your just starting you car. the remote is very sensitive so if you throw it in you side pocket of your car, it could, and has, press the fast forward or skip and just continue to skip. isn't very fast when it comes to loading and no LED change. Like imagine driving down the road while the screen is up and it just powers down and doesnt turn back on, you know how fun it was geting it out to fix the wires while the screen was up. plz save ur self and dont buy this it was not worth it. if you lookin at it just cuz of the screen, dont you need a hack to watch it on the go you better off just buying a normal high sound quallity deck like jvc or kenwood or alpine.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 6:58:28 PM PST
I'm sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your Boss Audio BV9996B. The problems you are stating your unit is having are not normal operation of that unit. I believe that you unit has a defect in either the hardware or software. The unit does have a 1 year manufacture warranty and can be sent in to us for service. Please contact our Technical Support Line (805) 751.4853 or email us at techsupport@bossaudio.com so that we may further assist you. We appreciate your business as a valued Boss Audio Customer.

1.0 out of 5 stars BOSS BV9996B, November 9, 2012
Stay away from the boss product line, to many problems with product. 1 time is never correct on the unit, at times it goes backwards. 2 bluetooth is horrible had to turn volume all the way up on radio to hear anything and phone would not ring at all.3 I had no problems with the FM reception on my factory unit, with this I could not get hardly any on my stations.4 Volume on radio would go up and down by itself. I would not recommend this to anyone

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 12:17:46 PM PST
Thank you for your purchase of Boss Audio Product. I'm sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your Boss Audio Radio. Please contact our Technical Support Line (805) 751.4853 or email us at techsupport@bossaudio.com so that we may further assist you. We appreciate your business as a valued Boss Audio Customer.

Rate and Discover Movies