Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 31, 2011
The idea of modifying a Boss effect came from the realization that these pedals are made in mass quantities with the cheapest components that "work". That said, installing the Fromel kit takes a little time and patience pulling the parts you want to change from the board and installing the replacements. The instructions are clear, and I believe the result is worth it. Just reducing the "hiss" level is worth it. I believe the pedal produces a smoother effect, and the volume control has more range.

Distortion pedals, by their very nature, are "noisy". Run the gain somewhere under the 2 o'clock mark at most. Remember, this pedal isn't going to make you play any better! It may, in fact, make it more clear that you need to practice those riffs! Also, when you use this pedal along with others, use a noise gate (Boss makes the NS-1?). You will hear cutoff in the noise after you quit playing, and you won't hear it when you play. of course.
on April 20, 2013
I ordered this kit last week and got it in the mail today. Went to the studio and got my DS-1 and decided that I was going to take the plunge. Before the mod my trusty pedal left a lot to be desired. I don't play a style of music that demands high gain or gee-whiz distortion, but when i need to burn it up I need that capability. I have had my old model DS-1 for quite some time and had grown out of the sound. The sound in question was thin, tinny, and gutless and I had considered dropping my old faithful friend in favor of something else. An hour or so later it has a lot more headroom, loads more gain, and more volume. It just sounds better.

It comes with enough parts to do a number of mods to the pedal, and with instructions for each. If you're good with a soldering iron and know the basics of electronics this is a pretty straightforward project. If you have never picked up an iron I wouldn't recommend starting with this. As I have seen in a couple of reviews, this is not a complete pedal (hence the word KIT...duh). It will not turn you from a bedroom jammer to a guitar god, only long hours of practice will do that. What it will do it change the sound of the DS-1 from the sonic equivalent of nails on a blackboard to a very adjustable tone machine.

Overall, I'm glad I did this mod. It's cheap, easy, and makes me proud to own a DS-1 again.
on May 3, 2015
This is a great option for anyone looking to get an amazing distortion for a little money and effort. The instructions could be a little easier, but if you measure twice and cut once you will be just fine. After the mod ALL of the parameters were enhanced. There is now a distinct difference where I set the Distortion knob, the Tone sweeps drastically, and the Volume doesn't have to always be at 75% to be heard. Truly, I now LOVE my DS-1, before it was so-so. Included is a photo of all the components I took out and the leads I clipped.
review image
on September 16, 2014
This mod kit turned my DS-1 into a roaring beast. I bought a used pedal a couple of weeks ago and really didn't care for it at all. Kept getting volume drops during playing and would have to turn it off and back on to keep it from dropping during solos. Saw this kit and decided to give it a try. The description says 5 different mods you can do with the kit but the instruction sheet has 9. From simple to supreme. I did the supreme mod. I am not the greatest solderer so it took me about 2 hours to do it all. I started by checking every piece I replaced, plugged it into guitar/amp, to make sure it worked before moving ahead. Then it went to 2 pieces, then 3 and then 4. Really is time consuming when you try each replacement. Anyway I am not an electronics genius nor a professional soldering guru and I made it through the mod and surprisingly it works. The pedal is almost like another overdrive now with the distortion turned off. That is how much more volume this gave mine. Worthwhile project and if you have basic soldering skills and the equipment give it a shot. Your modded DS-1 will surprise you.
on February 19, 2015
So I bought a stock DS-1 after playing it through a tube amp on a pretty nice guitar at a local music shop a while back, and after getting it home and realizing that nice sound was more the tube amp and expensive guitar than the pedal, took to the internet to see what could be done about it. I have no electronics experience, I've soldered a thing or two, just not on a circuit board, but after looking at the well written instructions(There are 5 or 6 mods to choose from, with the easiest requiring only a couple of changes, to the supreme mod where about 20 caps and diodes are replaced, I chose the latter), and about an hour later it's like I caught that tube sound in the pedal!

Seriously, the tone on this sucker is just a huge improvement, and the distortion knob now has an edge to it, with lots of nice bite with the tone turned down, or conversely with the tone at half mast and the distortion down you get a sweet bluesy sound. This thing is a classic/hard rock golden chalice. The Stones, Led Zepp, Jeff Beck, Cream, if those are your beat, then this pedal mod is what you NEED! All I used what a cheapo soldering iron and needle nose pliers to help position the capacitors into place along with some 60/40 .031 solder. Worked like a charm. Just, seriously, buy this mod already.
on November 11, 2015
I got this kit and started with a simple mod but it didn't change much. I finally did the supreme mod and it did change the pedal's sound but not in a good way in my opinion. I play metal and this mod kit will only cut the gain in your pedal . It may be an awesome idea if you play rock or blues or something else but not a good idea for a metalhead . Maybe get a good eq to use with your ds-1.
on March 3, 2013
Great! Excellent sounds!!! Like a Keely modified pedal, and much, much, more... This kit Rocks! A standard DS-1 is not much in its original form, this changes the game. Must be good with a soldering iron.
on May 13, 2014
This kit comes with components that can be used in different combinations to get a different character of sound out of the Boss DS-1. I only tried 4 of the mods: Keeley, Supreme, Valve, and Vintage, before settling on a configuration of my own somewhere in between the Keeley and the Supreme. The components in the kit definitely make the Boss DS-1 sound better, which is to say cleaner and brighter with more tonal range. That said, after trying the mods listed above, it still sounded essentially like a DS-1. So, if you already have a DS-1, enjoy it's brand of distortion, but want it to sound a little better and/or slightly different, this is a great kit. If you're expecting a dramatically different distortion sound, however, you might just want to invest in a different distortion pedal altogether.
on June 25, 2014
In high-school I think everyone I know owned a Boss DS-1. It's not the best pedal in the world, but with this mod, you can make it quite a cool and handy high-gain monster. I found the DS-1 shrill, and loaded with too much high end. After this mod, this pedal now is useful for moderate to high-gain playing, with more low-end and just an overall better tone. I had one lying around and wasn't using it because it simply sounded horrible, but after this mod, I'll not be letting go of my DS-1. Plus, this is a fun project for an afternoon and it makes a pedal that you probably have thrown in a closet somewhere something worth using and keeping.
on November 15, 2015
This kit really changes the sound of the DS-1 pedal in a good way. Parts are good quality and the instructions were clear. I wouldn't recommend this to someone with no experience with electronics and soldering, but if you have a bit of experience, it's a great mod.