4.0 out of 5 stars Great Pedal for Jazz, Blues, Rock, not Heavy Metal
Published on June 29, 2008 by Michael A. Strauss

3.0 out of 5 stars just for a couple songs...
I use it in my pedalboard just for a couple songs, do not expect more than that! if you want to achieve a great blues sound i highly recomend the seymour duncan twin blue for the same price!
Published 22 months ago by Cule

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Pedal for Jazz, Blues, Rock, not Heavy Metal, June 29, 2008
This review is from: Boss FBM-1 Fender '59 Bassman Pedal (Electronics)
Just to add another opinion - I've been playing blues and rock 53 years. I first bought the FDR-1 pedal to add reverb/trem to a Fuchs 6v6 tube amp, and then bought the FBM-1 to add some tone to a Fender Blues Jr. which has onboard reverb. The FBM-1 made the sound fuller, rounder, with a sweeter tone, as the Fender has brighter EL84 tubes. It will overdrive the power tubes at lower volumes, giving clear, concise notes and full tones at comfortable ear levels. If one can both afford and carry around a Fender Twin or a Bassman (50-65 lbs)$1300, no pedal is needed. This way one can buy a Fender Pro Jr. (20 lbs) $375 or Blues Jr. (30 lbs) $475 and the FBM-1 pedal ($150), and closely emulate that sound for $525-625).

This pedal needs a tube amp IMHO, at least 15W, and at least 10" speaker.

I couldn't do without it having heard it and used it. Fender wouldn't have lent its name and technology to the pedal if it wasn't good. It's not really for super high gain metal players, nor is the Bassman amp. Jazz, blues, soft rock, R&B, Motown, etc. is best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen to Felix the Cat, This Pedal Rocks!, May 26, 2010
This review is from: Boss FBM-1 Fender '59 Bassman Pedal (Electronics)
I purchase this pedal after buying the boss fender reverb deluxe pedal, after being blown away by that pedal I was curious about the Bassman. I did my research on countless guitar site reviews and on Youtube. I was impressed so I went and bought it, and let me tell everyone that this pedal rocks! It sounds similar to the Bassman amp but what do you expect for $120, to poop gold for you? Its gain and presence knobs are the best features on it, it gives that extra crunch and has the option to plug into a more bright sound (just like the amp). I've plugged this amp to a solid state vox and it screams the amp just fine, but when I plugged it into my fender hotrod deville tube amp, oh man I'm still drooling over that tone. So don't listen to the first review from Felix the Cat, I don't know what he was playing cus' clearly it was a different pedal!

4.0 out of 5 stars Boss FBM '59 Bassman, May 16, 2012
This review is from: Boss FBM-1 Fender '59 Bassman Pedal (Electronics)
I'm just a play at home cat who buys too many toys. I'm not sure how I like this pedal. It sounds great so far run thru a mid '90 Blues DeLuxe & '65 DRRI. I have gone into ea. amp using Radial Tone Bone AB/Y switch. Both of these amps sound worlds apart which is good. The 1/2 dz or so time I have played w/ it has been into the BD more. When you hit the button it gives the amp a really nice fatter boost. My Strat sounded very nice but when I switched to my Guild X-160 Rock-A-Billy, it just bloomed. Not sure but I would assume someone w/ the right combo of pedals could probably tune them in to get a similar boost. If you don't match the volume with the pedal on vs off, it will blow your frigging ears off. Some of this depends on the gain control. I have not run it into my SFTR, Blues DeVille w/ Jensen Alnico speakers so I would like to get that done & hear what they sound like. For someone using a SS amp or going into the PA, I'm sure the sound would be like the Bassman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for guitar or bass, September 18, 2013
This review is from: Boss FBM-1 Fender '59 Bassman Pedal (Electronics)
I picked up this pedal on Sweetwater for my home studio. And cuz I live in an apartment, I have a strictly headphone setup with electric V-drums and all. So I needed a guitar "amp" and considered getting the Line 6 Pod. I read lots of mixed reviews on the Pod. People usually said it was extraordinary or that it sounded fake. And since I've always had good luck with Boss pedals, I figured I couldn't go bad with the FBM-1.

The guitarists I've had plug into the pedal all said they liked the clean tone it produced. When I listened to the playback of the recordings, you couldn't really tell that it's going direct. It truly sounds like a miked amp. I was very impressed and happy with my purchase.

I mainly chose this pedal over the other Boss Fender-amp pedals cuz the FBM-1 has bass, mid, presence and treble controls which come in handy for electric bass. I'm not a guitarist so I wanted a pedal I could use, too. The BRIGHT input sounds superb.

Overall, it was a great, low-budget solution to getting a nice tone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thick, retro pedal, amazing!!! Boss Legend series are indeed great!!, April 24, 2014
Andrés Neva (Bogotá D.C., Colombia.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boss FBM-1 Fender '59 Bassman Pedal (Electronics)
I have this pedal in my pedal board along with the Boss Fuzz FZ-5, the Fender Reverb, the Boss Deluxe Reverb, a Boss feed backer / booster pedal, and a Dunlop Jimmy Hendrix Wah, and I have obtained the classy retro sound I was looking for! Great sound for an affordable price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exellent, December 21, 2013
This review is from: Boss FBM-1 Fender '59 Bassman Pedal (Electronics)
I'm happy to have it. I think it will be rare soon. The real sound from past, If you like these years, of course.

5.0 out of 5 stars '59 Bassman... OH YEAH BABY!, January 10, 2014
This review is from: Boss FBM-1 Fender '59 Bassman Pedal (Electronics)
So the shipping was free and lightning fast, early to be exact. Packaged well too. It is a beauty. I plugged it in, and was immediately disappointed. I proceeded in placing it in line with my other pedals: blues driver, big muff, & TS-9DX 4X2 PLEXI modded by Keely. I couldn't get a decent tone to save my life! And mind you I am running through a twin reverb amp. I tried every end of the spectrum with the bassman and my other pedals combined. Still very sad. The next day I decided to give it another go, and it was amazing! I ran only this pedal for an hour or so and slowly added my normal tones on my amp and existing pedals. I was so into it that I daisy chained to my deville and then to a orange crush combo. It was ridiculously awesome, and none of my amps were even close to dimed out! I love it! My hat is off to Fender and Boss on this one. What a great price as well. So.. if you buy this and don't like it, wait a bit and try again. You will find your tone! I have been searching for this sound a solid 6 months! THANKS AMAZON!

5.0 out of 5 stars Boss FBM-1, January 15, 2013
This review is from: Boss FBM-1 Fender '59 Bassman Pedal (Electronics)
This stomp pedal works and sounds great. Currently use it through a Fender Deluxe 75 practice amp with an American Fender Strat and it sounds great. Bell tones are much better with this unit. Is definitely a good purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars just for a couple songs..., August 30, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome pedal, December 15, 2012
This review is from: Boss FBM-1 Fender '59 Bassman Pedal (Electronics)
I just got this pedal yesteday. It really adds some very sweet tone to my rig, Strat through a 5 watt valve amp. I also play an SG for my crazy moments and it sounds just as good with humbuckers. I mostly play blues/blues-rock. For that type of music the tones are really nice. I bought it used just to try it out and I'm very happy with it.

Boss FBM-1 Fender '59 Bassman Pedal