5.0 out of 5 stars Mighty mite!, May 2, 2013
This review is from: Boss Industrial ES5T20 Electric Log Splitter, 5-Ton (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
Up here in SE AK, we go thru a lot of fire wood! And even tho I'm decent shape, splitting it with an axe gets old fast. After doing a lot a research, I decided that the boss 5 ton splitter was what I wanted. Lo and behold Amazon had it, and with free shipping to Alaska to boot ( with prime)! Ordered it on Tue. and got it Thu. Went to work on Fri. Split about half a cord in about 4 hours taking breaks and playing around with it and finished the cord the next day. This is a GREAT piece of equipment and never fails to surprise me. I split stuff over 18 inches without a problem. Even knotty junk was no problem unless the knots were big, then I just worked around them! It is also surprisingly quiet with kind of an angry bee buzz to it, lol. One of the neatest features it the one handed operation. I like having a hand to steady things. I know splitters can be dangerous, but I'm old enough to know to keep my hand out of the way. I really like the looks of this unit, and the quality appears to be top notch. I highly recommend this splitter!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, June 27, 2013
After spending a good five plus hours researching log splitters this is the one I choose. You can watch a ton of videos on YouTube and they are all so loud. This one is fairly quiet. All the rest I looked at you had to use two hands to operate the unit. This one, one hand. This one by far looked the best built and I can say it's built like a tank. Exellent quality, rugged construction, beyond easy to use. I've split about a cord and a half with it so far and it still is amazing me. It has split 100% of what I have asked of it so far. A few logs took a couple attempts or I turned the log around. Im sure its a matter of time before it says your kidding, right! I do believe it would split bigger seasoned rounds but I have not tried it and the instructions say ten inches or less wide. 20 1/2 inces long or less. All my rounds where eleven inches wide or less, eighteen inches long, and was freshly cut green wood ( I just don't have any logs bigger than 11 inches wide) I do know among others there was soft and hard maple, walnut, hackberry, cotten wood, a little pine, and one kind I don't know but extremely heavy. It cuts so precise. You could never have the persision with an axe that you have with this. Easy to make kindling also.
You would laugh if you saw me using this machine. I pull it up along side one of my log piles. Other side I set my wheelbarrel. The end with the lever I set my favorite lawn chair. (I would not operate this machine from it's side. Logs can fly out to the sides sometimes when split and hit you) I get a big fan and blow on me. (helps with the bugs too) Grab a round off the pile, wham bam, toss the pieces in the wheelbarrow, in a few minutes take the split wood to where I store it. Last year I used a splitting axe. What was I thinking?
The instructions say the unit needs to be level and it does. It doesn't have to be laser level but it needs to be in the ballpark, especially front to back. If it isn't you might incounter the following. Ram doesn't travel as far as usual. Ram doesn't have as much power. Ram jitters when moving. If it's reasonably level it works perfect every time.
A couple other things to note. You need a 6mm hex wrench ( I call them allen wrenches) to check the hydrolic fluid. The instructions say you have to check the hydrolic fluid level before you use the machine but THEY DON'T GIVE YOU A WRENCH to do it with. I mean really! I couldn't even use the thing the first day I had it because I didn't have a wrench.
The other thing is I had it on back order here on Amazon for three weeks or so which was fine because at the time no one had any plus I buy every thing from Amazon. I also don't like giving out my card number. Another supplier got some in but I still waited on Amazon for ten more days but still nothing. I ordered it somewhere else and was led to believe it was coming Fedix but it came on the longest semi- truck they make. Just thought you should double check how it's being shipped to you in case your location isn't semi- truck friendly. The trucking company calls you to set up a delivery time. My shipping slip said it was 135 pounds. (106 pounds unboxed) The driver helped me put it in the back of my truck. It was packed inside a heavy duty box, surrounded by styrofoam, strapped to a wooden pallet. Arrived in perfect condition.
It's already assembled except you screw the top of the operating lever onto the bottom of the lever. Check the hydrolic fluid with your wrench I hope you have, unscrew a little wing nut on the opposite end from the lever. (unscrew wing nut three or four turns after you get the log splitter located where you'll be using it - it lets air in and out of the hydrolic cylinder - make sure you close the wing nut before moving the splitter or you could loose a little hydrolic fluid) Every log splitter that I researched in this class had the wing nut so there doesn't seem any getting around it. I put an annoying tag on my lever to remind me about the wing nut.
There is a video of this splitter on YouTube but it's not very impressive. Watch some of the other videos of splitters in this class and you will learn a few tricks on ways of maximizing your splitter and work area. It is amazing what they can do.
You buy so many things sight unseen and sometimes your disappointed. This, Outstanding!

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes it pretty easy to split logs, July 11, 2013
It goes through seasoned logs easily. As expected, it won't split green wood, need to let it sit for a year or so. The splitter appears to be well built, nice strong design. Nothing feels cheap about this splitter.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Boss worked great for me, July 9, 2013
The Boss worked great for most of the logs I needed to split. I split a little over 1 cord of wood and only had 5 logs what the Boss could not split as the wood was too hard. Overall I would recommend the 5-Ton Boss log splitter if the logs are not more than 10 inches in diameter.

5.0 out of 5 stars EC5T20 is the new model number for a Boss Industrial 5 ton., September 17, 2014
John Collier (Naperville, Il United States) - See all my reviews
Great Log Splitter - will split almost anything a home owner throws at it.

ES5T20 was discontinued, but only because it was replaced with the EC5T20.
New part number, same great quality!