5.0 out of 5 stars First Bostitch nailer using DA style nails
Published on March 19, 2012 by A. Lee

1.0 out of 5 stars air leaking just out of package
Same problem here as a previous review. Air leaking from built in blower when new out of box.
The design, feel, weight and features like LED and blower are what attracted me to this nailer. Also, it fires DA nails unlike the Bostitch model from the big orange store.
But, if it doesn't work properly out of the box, I can't rate it higher than a single star...
Published 22 months ago by Mark

5.0 out of 5 stars First Bostitch nailer using DA style nails, March 19, 2012
This review is from: Bostitch DA1564K 15 Gauge "DA" Style Angled Finish Nailer Kit (Tools & Home Improvement)
I'm a handyman that does a wide variety of work, and when I buy new tools I do a lot of research to make sure I'm getting the best tool for my money. I was already bias to Bostitch before I even started researching finish nailers because of the other Bostitch nail guns I own, but because it seemed like they used a different nail than every other gun out there I decided to educate myself on the nails before deciding on the gun.

DA style finish nails have a 35 degree angle and a round head, and seem to be made by more manufacturers. Home Depot stocks Porter Cable, Lowe's stocks Hitachi and another brand name, and Menards stocks mainly Grip Rite. FN style are at 25 degrees and have a clipped head, and are made by Bostitch (Lowe's and Home Depot only offer this brand), Senco and Grip Rite. While Porter Cable DA nails are more expensive than Bostitch FN nails, Grip Rite DA nails are cheaper than Grip Rite FN nails by a couple dollars per 1000. Additionally, even though clipped head nails are easier to pull through the back of trim work if you need to remove it, I just prefer the look of a round nail hole over a flat one. Now if you're looking for nail length, I have found FN nails as short as 1" but DA starts at 1 1/4". Both styles go up to 2 1/2". Home Depot and Lowe's only seemed to have FN nails in 2" and 2 1/2", but Menards has a very good selection.

This is the first Bostitch nailer that uses DA nails, and it's supposed to be exactly the same as the Bostitch N62FNK-2 15-Gauge 1-Inch to 2-1/2-Inch Angled Finish Nailer that uses FN (not the one currently shown in pictures, but the newest version released in 2011 that comes with a swivel air fitting and belt hook). Porter Cable, Ridgid and Master Force (Menard's brand) only use DA, Senco seems to have switched from DA to FN, and even though Hitachi makes DA style nails I've seen a new model Hitachi nailer that uses FN nails.

The older Bostitch finish nailers, ones that don't come with the belt hook or installed air fitting, seemed to have a common problem with the drive rod breaking. The newer versions haven't been out long enough for any reviews that I can find, and I'm not going to comment on durability until I've fired a couple thousand nails through it. So I'm putting faith in the Bostitch name and in American workmanship (Bostitch is Made In US while Hitachi, the only other gun I gave serious consideration to, is Made In Taiwan). The belt hook is a nice addition over the older version, as is including a swivel air fitting which I would have gone out and bought anyway. It also comes with profile tips that match the contours of most trim work, but I'm more likely to adjust the depth setting or use a nail set than change the tip for every style moulding. Overall this gun has all the features to make it the best on the market, so all that remains is seeing if it's durable.

1.0 out of 5 stars air leaking just out of package, January 2, 2013
It was returned today and I don't plan on replacing it with the same model as it seem to be a common problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed., January 15, 2013
I am on my 2nd DA1564K in 2 weeks. This gun is light, works great, tons of great features. Unfortunately, my 1st nailer was leaking air out of the blowoff. So I exchanged it with Amazon, 2nd nailer arrives, ALSO leaking air out of the blow off. It is a neat little feature (if it worked) If this gun skipped a few of the bells and whistles, it would be excellent. The 16" gauge is very handy, the light is also handy. I can't believe from a company like Bostitch, I would receive 2 defective guns in a row!

2.0 out of 5 stars Problem right when it arrived, December 10, 2012
It is a great gun and the features are great, but the first use proved that too many features means more problems. The button to blow air worked but the gun now leaks air through the valve. I have to take it an hour away to get it fixed( 2 hours total) so if you don't mind having to spend a few hours to fix one of the many features then get it. It's a great gun. But if your time is valuable then the features will probably cause you problems

3.0 out of 5 stars Test the blow off feature right away to see if you need to return it during the 30 day return window, December 3, 2013
If you get one of these, repeatedly exercise the blow off feature several times right away and during the first week to see if the O-ring was damaged on the assembly line!

From what I read, the blow off O-rings were getting damaged in the making of these nail guns, it was discovered and the process fixed but many were made before they became aware. Apparently Bostitch didn't bring back all the likely defective ones to fix them. I ordered from Amazon in July 2013 thinking I would get one made after the fix. But no.
At the repair center, he showed me the stamp on the gun that showed it was made in 2012. Had I used the gun in the first 30 days, I could have sent it back to Amazon for another, I think for free. But the project was delayed. Now it's been at the warranty repair center for 2 weeks and counting.
I think it will be a great gun, when I get to use it. A definite strike against Bostitch quality control and another against whoever decided not to recall those that went out with this problem. I suspect you will know within 5 minutes of occasionally pushing the blow off feature button if you have this problem or not.

2.0 out of 5 stars Leaks Blow Off Air, April 5, 2013
I bought this gun despite all the reviews and I bought the "Used- Like New" one from Amazon. I must have gotten one that someone returned because the blow off feature was leaking. At any rate it's an easy fix with a new o-ring but certainly not what I've come to expect from Bostitch.

It's a good feature but if it doesn't work then it's not all that great after all.

It does drive nails very well though and as little as I plan to use it I'm sure it will be fine. If you plan to use a gun for construction or cabinet making use I'd go with another model. This one is a bit hard to load.

4.0 out of 5 stars Drives them home!, August 20, 2013
Alphonse Greybeard "Mr. Mumbles" (Ridgefield, CT United States) - See all my reviews
Has plenty of power to drive finish nails up to 2.5 inches long and the built-in work light, stud gage, and yes, pencil sharpener are all nice extras. The one downside: the unit requires 34 degree 15 ga. finish nails with a round head, not as readily available as other types, especially in stainless steel (exterior work) - but with some searching, they are obtainable. Be aware that the nails must be linked at a 34 degree angle to avoid jams.

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems here.., February 11, 2014
So far it seems to be operating beyond my expectations. I was using my Porter Cable Angled 15ga with 2 1/2" nails and it was starting to struggle sinking them into Oak at an appropriate depth., I was having to use my nail set for just about every nail. Don't get me wrong, I have used the crap out of my PC gun (probably needs a rebuild). I decided to purchase the Bostich 1564 because of my previous experience of owning Bostich tools, I am very happy with my collection. Right out of the case I knew I made a good choice, the weight difference alone compared to the PC is significant. Well 2 days straight I have been using this gun and it has not missed a beat. The 2 1/2" nails are sinking into the Oak with ease and my arm is less fatigued at the end of the day. This gun is tight in my opinion and the exhaust placement is key.
'

4.0 out of 5 stars Great weight and balance, February 18, 2013
Pros:
Great Weight and balance and plenty of features
Cons:
Had to keep pulling jammed nails out the head of it (1 every 10 or so). May be a setup issue I am unaware of.

5.0 out of 5 stars First class tool, January 8, 2013
Bostitch has hit a home run with this nail gun. Light weight, oil free, cool features like a integrated light, air nozzle, belt hanger, and pencil sharpener, not to mention the handy 16" layout gauge and you have the best nail gun on the market.