4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the price. Great Customer service!
I am a collage student who needs a good lamp for reading. I bought it over a month ago. It fits right on my dorm room's desk. Not too large nor small.
Pros:
1) Looks great. (Made of metal, it doesn't look cheap.)
2) Pretty strong and easy to orient into all positions. The swing arms are sturdy and the joints are not shaky.
3) Can be placed anywhere you...
Published on December 16, 2011 by 1VANallen

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't love lamp
Published 21 months ago by James Edwards

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the price. Great Customer service!, December 16, 2011
This review is from: Boston Harbor Architect Swing Arm Desk Lamp, Black (Tools & Home Improvement)
Pros:
1) Looks great. (Made of metal, it doesn't look cheap.)
3) Can be placed anywhere you want.
4) Perfect for the price
5) Customer service was great and fast
Cons:
1) The material used to build the switch is a piece of cheap plastic (1 star off for that). So unfortunately it could break during the delivery.
(It was broken when the lamp arrived, but as soon as I contacted the customer service, they replied very fast)

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY! A Decent Light Fixture!, September 30, 2012
Okay, so, like, my last swing-arm desk lamp was like totally purchased back in the 80's, dude. And I loved that beautiful desk lamp! The base was very heavy, I could adjust it to almost any angle I could conceive, it was nice and bright, and it was made of METAL. (Yes, I know, metal is a substance that was utilized way back in the days of the dinosaurs before everything became plastic.)

I loved my lamp so much that I refused to throw it out even when the switch became "sticky"--much to my dad's chagrin. For years, I was the only one in my family who could turn it on because they didn't know the proper technique to coax it.

But alas, my beloved desk lamp finally gave up the ghost. She lived a long and brilliant life. I saved her metal base--just in case.

Why do I say all this?

...So that you can be comforted by the fact that anyone as picky--and loyal--as me is completely satisfied with this Boston Harbor desk lamp! DO NOT buy your desk lamp from Wally World or any of the other department stores. I looked at them. They stink. #1, the lamp hood is made of plastic. (Hello!? Who's the genius who decided that PLASTIC would be a good choice to encase the space around a 2,000 degree F light bulb? Can anyone say "MELT"?!) #2, the arms are usually only slight bendable. #3, the base is NOT heavy enough to stay in place. #4, the switches are CHEAP cr@p, and I would bet they only last about 1 week.

THIS lamp has:
1) A very good, thick metal lamp hood
2) A jointed arm, and the hood pivots up/down and left/right. So it is completely adjustable.
3) A base that weighs about 3 pounds and measures about 6.5" across
4) A nice big switch that is super-easy to operate. (It's plastic, but I still like it). If you have arthritis, you could still easily turn on this lamp by simply palming the switch and turning your wrist...seriously!
5) A nice long cord

I waited to review this lamp to make sure it was good. It is. It's like my old lamp got reincarnated...only a little better!

I think I feel safe enough to recycle my old metal base now. RIP, old friend. :)

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't love lamp, January 31, 2013
I got this to have as an out of the way most of the time lamp. My thought was that I could have it at the back of the desk and pull the light towards me when I needed better light for reading. Nope. The base on this lamp is far too light. If you have the lamp any more of center than how it's pictured on the purchase page, then it will fall over. Also, the switch on top is a very cheap feeling rotary switch that will probably the first to go.

If you want anything actually as useful as an architect style swing lamp, then you're better off spending more and getting something with a clamp. This one is a swing lamp mostly in name and style.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy workmanship, September 3, 2012
I purchased this desk lamp for my dorm room as a spotlight for my desk. When it arrived, the packaging was in average shape for a long distance-ship, but upon opening and assembling the lamp, I was very disappointed by the workmanship. The entire thing feels flimsy and cheap. There are scratches all over the lamp hood and base. I put a bulb in it for maybe 20 minutes before it was too hot to reposition the direction of light.

I would not recommend this and will likely be returning it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, October 30, 2012
Sean O (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
Purchased this lamp less than 2 months ago. It has already begun to fall apart. The hinges that allow the lamp to be directionally pointed have already stopped working so the head of the lamp hangs down loosely. Also the metal bell part that goes around the light bulb keeps falling off. I would not purchase this item again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy, nice quality for the price, November 19, 2011
This is a great lamp, works very well for the price. Its a mix of sturdy metal and plastic so its doesn't feel cheap like the all plastic ones. This one has a heavy weight on the bottom so doesn't tip over easily.

The only thing is when you assembly this, you can see that the material has some flaws here and there and makes it look kinda of like the quality of handling at manufacture was not so great.

Other than that this is a great lamp, I would recommend if you need a new reading lamp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Swing arm desk Lamp, October 20, 2011
This lamp is bigger and heavier than I thought. The swing arm works perfect. Everything I wanted. I highley recommend this product. Does not tilt because the base is heavy for the swing arm.

3.0 out of 5 stars switch gets hot, March 3, 2013
Loved the lamp at first, heavy stayed put, but after having the light on for about an hour the plastic switch was hot to the touch as well as the metal shade. Most times when I work with extra light it's for hours,afraid the lamp switch is going to get too hot and be a fire risk. I expected the shade to be hot but not the plastic on/off switch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Major Disappointment, August 18, 2013
Tension in arm and head were great for about a month. Now, head/bulb flops over and cannot be adjusted at all. After re-reading others' reviews, I noticed that I'm not the only one with this issue. SKIP THIS PRODUCT!

1.0 out of 5 stars It exploded!!!, January 28, 2013
Too bad I did not listened to the reviewers that were saying that the lamp is getting too hot! It does get terribly hot - to the point that it is impossible to turn it off. But it is not the worst. The worst is that the light bulb exploded while my son was doing the homework at the desk! He got so scared! The glass was everywhere. I put the lamp in a trash immediately.
I guess you can buy it, but just for looks!

Boston Harbor Architect Swing Arm Desk Lamp, Black