Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

on May 16, 2009
I was so sad to see Boston Legal end its series. However, I am very grateful to be able to own this whole set. This is the only TV series that I own or desire to own. The writing was well done. The topics were thought provoking. And it kept up with current events. In some ways this reflects the history of issues in our country during the period in which it was filmed. And what a better way to preserve history--through crazy, thought provoking humor. My favorite show was the last episode but I can't think of an episode I didn't like. For me, this series even made me sometimes view the world differently, even if i wasn't aware of it at the time. Just a couple of days ago, I was in a store where a man had a "tick" and made some kind of funny noise. I just turned to my friend and said, "he squeeks". It seems like a simple thing, but before I would have been uncomfortable or even made a joke at the persons expense. i guess some people might think that comment is a joke--but if they knew this series they would know it was much more of an acceptance and statement of fact.

One other thing that I love about this series is that it doesn't seem to matter which side of an issue you are on or what your political affiliation is. Or at least in my family. I have a sister who is polar opposite of me when it comes to politics--but we both loved this show. I think when a show can do that, it is magical because more people are able to listen to both sides of an issue when it is presented in a fun way.

If you loved this series, you will of course love this DVD set. If you haven't seen this series, I would urge you to at least rent a few of the DVD's and then if you fall in love with it, buy them.
66 comments| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2009
I agree with everything Tami said in her great review, but wanted to add a few things I really like about this series. First, for me, the best part of this show is the great relationship between Denny Crane and Alan Shore. It captures for me what I value in my own favorite friendships, and constantly reminds me how much I value my own friends. Boston Legal does a better job of illuminating this friendship dynamic than any show I can think of. Second, as a kid who grew up watching the original Star Trek, I have generally been disappointed with most of what Shatner has done since....until this series came out! This is the perfect role for Shatner, and as a life-long fan it is a real joy to see how well he does with this role. To me this show is about friendship and the potential joy of everyday life, and for me Shatner and James Spader are the ideal actors for the roles, and both deserve the credit for making this show what it is.
on June 29, 2010
The series is wickedly funny--from the first episode--and better with no commercials. Buy the series if you like the show. It's like having the four pound box of chocolates; you can't stop at one episode! The ties tell a story as much as do the characters.
on May 3, 2013
First of all, it's great to have the entire show in one box, because so much of the action
is based on the continuity of the relationships in the law firm. In particular, one should
follow the development of the friendship between the characters played by
James Spader and William Shatner, one of the unique ones in television history. But there
is a lot of action in the development of the lawyer with Asperger's Syndrome; he may drive
you crazy with his idiotic gestures and noises, but his journey is really quite touching.
Betty White's subplot--she's a serial murderess; and that's not a spoiler, because the show
is quite open about it from the start--is also interesting, though it's played for comedy.
There is a lot of sociopolitical material here, a lot of it extremely edgy. Most of it is
leftist-driven, but at one point a gay organization tries to stop two men from marrying
because their reasons "aren't good enough"--a shocking reversal of what one might expect
on the subject of marriage equality. Still, the show is very briskly paced and the scripts
are extremely smart, because so many of the characters are top-notch lawyers who can win
even difficult cases. There's even a lovable touch of meta-TV, in that Spader and Shatner
occasionally make references to the fact that they're characters on a network series.
on January 24, 2013
I love Boston Legal but I've never seen all episodes. Now I can watch them one by one. The only problem I've had so far is that one DVD has a problem with freeze spots.
on March 22, 2014
We had watched all five seasons of Boston Legal via Netflix. That is one of the most hilarious series ever. We wanted to re-watch them and rather than get them one by one from Netflix again, I decided to purchase the five seasons. We're in the process of enjoying them a second time and I know it won't be the last time we watch them. Glad we bought them.
on December 30, 2010
This is perhaps one of them most thought provoking, enjoyable character studies in the history of television. In an age where broadcast companies continue to dumb down their programming, it is both refreshing that a show defied it, and sad that it was canceled with only 5 seasons when it had so much more potential. Yet with all of this, their are only two words that can describe the hours that I spent watching, loving, and being wrapped up in the lives of intriguing characters and cases. Those words are spelled simply.

Denny Crane.
on December 30, 2013
Boston Legal was a family favorite and I collected the full set when it was playing on TV. My grandson is now in the army and whenever he is home on leave and comes to visit me he always wants to watch it. He will be leaving to go back to base this weekend and is so happy to be able to take the full series back with him. It was the perfect gift which made my Christmas as well. I would certainly feel good about recommending your company to friends and family.
on July 13, 2016
When it comes down to it, has there ever been a television series as witty, as thoughtful, as smart and as engaging as 'Boston Legal'?

Years ago, a very close friend with whom I work, would regale me with detailed descriptions of a show starring Bill Shatner. Weekly I would hear about the trials and exploits of Denny Crane and Alan Shore, but I never quite took the time to watch it. But then, on a fateful night staying at a relative's home in Huntington, Long Island with little to do, I happened upon an episode of 'Boston Legal' on TV.

Let me be clear, from that very moment in time, I was in. Game over. David Kelley's (at the time) latest creation had me in its clutches. It was witty, it was brilliant, it was sad, it was poignant and of course starring Shatner and Spader, it was quirky, yet perfect. The show - and its characters - came to mean so much to me that when going through a difficult time two years ago, I picked up the complete set (on DVD because it wasn't available on the iTunes store). Denny and Alan didn't fix my problems, but they gave me a hopeful respite when everything else around me seemed destined to disappoint.

Buy it. Watch it. Love it.

You will thank me later.
on March 4, 2014
David Kelly (LA Law, Picket Fences, Ally McBeal) is one of the greatest writers and producers around. A real lawyer who got hired by genius writer-producer Steve Bochco (Hill Street Blues, LA Law, NYPD Blue). Boston Legal is IRREVELENCE to the maximum! An 0ff-shoot of the more serious The Practice (which I never got into, too serious) James Spader (Stargate the movie and more recently NBCs BLACKLIST) teams up with William Shatner (I am NOT Captain Kirk, I am Denny Crane and you're not!). Candace Bergen (I am NOT Murphy Brown, I am Ms. Schmidt and don't call me Shirley), John (I wish I was a Loofa) Laroquette and incidental characters like,Betty (Serial Killer) White, Roma Mafia, Henry Gibson, my friend Frank (I know you think I'm a hack actor) Birney. Dialog like: (Opposing lawyer): You did go to law school didn't you? Spader replying): Actually I got my degree on the Internet. Shatner (To Shirley's 17 year old grand-daughter): You're as hot as grand ma (Shirley) are you as dirty? Shirley's grand daughter (to Shirley): you were a suffragette, weren't you? Shirley (To her grand daughter) How OLD do you think I am!? Leave. Through the windows, it's faster! They take unwinnable cases before judges including the Supreme Court of the US. They take ridiculous cases, like Denny Crane pulling an illegal concelled weapon and shooting a black man. And him being defended using the Supreme Court ruling on the 2nd amendement. This series is a send up of LAW, LAWYERS and TV SHOWS, NETWORKS and SCHEDULING (Schatner to Spader as Denny Crane to Alan Shore "There must be some time slots we haven't used yet!" If YOU truly believe that all the lawyers in the world should be sent into the OCEAN to drown then Denny Crane and Alan Shore must lead the pack and they RULE this show! At the end of each show they sit on the balcony with Scotch whiskey and smelly cigars talking about Shirley Schmidt's Cheer Leader uniform from High School and all Denny can think about is Crane in POOLE with Schmidt! This show is to TV what M*A*S*H was to Theatrical MOVIES. This is Comedy/Drama of the ABSURD and David Kelley takes on EVERY taboo law case known to Man with Denny Crane and Alan Shore confronting the US Supreme Court without a CARE in the world! When all is said and done Denny and Alan have but ONE thought and that is to see Shirley in all her spendor to which Candace Bergen (Shirley) can't stop laughing about! The pervert lawyers at Crane, Poole and Schmidt aim to damp out racism, sexism, homophobia, government spying,false imprisonment, underage voting, under IQ death sentences and every other liberal cause you can think of from happening while they dwell on what it's like to lift Shirley's cheer leader skirt! You have to have a liberal sense of humor to like this show otherwise you'll take it too serioiusly.