5.0 out of 5 stars Boswell Speaks: Volume 1
This little book is a sheer delight. Often a literate canine author is able to explain the human mind better than we can. This is one of those books. You can pick it up, turn to any page and be enlightened, entertained.and amused. A great read.
Published 20 months ago by Hank Bruce

3.0 out of 5 stars POOR PUPPY!
Boswell is a terrier who thinks he has a world full of problems. In no particular order:
He's in love with a poodle named Lulu, a standard poodle. To get romantic with Lulu he'd have to have longer legs or she'd have to cooperate. You figure it out.
Published 14 months ago by Vickie Woodard

5.0 out of 5 stars Boswell Speaks: Volume 1, January 10, 2013
Hank Bruce (Rio Rancho, NM USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, May 29, 2013
This review is from: Boswell Speaks: Volume 1 (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book! It's simply hilarious! Great funny insight into the mind of a lovable pet. Can't wait to read the sequels! Wish Boswell was my dog!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't pass this one up, April 27, 2013
This review is from: Boswell Speaks: Volume 1 (Kindle Edition)
This book of thoughts from man's best friend kept me smiling and laughing. A must read for those who have ever owned a dog. This is the first of 4 books. I recommend them all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written., August 13, 2013
This review is from: Boswell Speaks: Volume 1 (Kindle Edition)
Very funny. I believe that is how my dogs think. Very funny. Enjoyed it a lot. Will read the rest in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who wouldn't love Boswell!, April 20, 2014
Joan Grossman (Santa Fe, NM United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boswell Speaks: Volume 1 (Kindle Edition)
I have to recommend this to anyone that loves animals. Mr. Grossman has an amazing sense of humor and it has been a joy to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, August 31, 2012
Bridget Mitchell (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boswell Speaks: Volume 1 (Kindle Edition)
If you have ever wondered what you pet is really thinking, let Boswell give you a clue. Very entertaining and a quick read to break up the minutiae of the day. You'll find yourself laughing out loud!!

3.0 out of 5 stars POOR PUPPY!, July 15, 2013
Vickie Woodard (HOPKINSVILLE, KY, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boswell Speaks: Volume 1 (Kindle Edition)
Boswell suddenly saw the answers to all his problems and yours and mine, too, in his kibble one day, but he was so hungry he gobbled it up. He tries to remind himself to look before he eats, but his little tummy is so empty.
Each day after his walk he wants his owner, Grossman, to give him just one more treat. He's tried using ESP to communicate with his man, but it just hasn't worked.

So he turned to his best friend: StuffyMan. The two of them have an interesting conversation for the entire, but short book.
First SM tries to get Boswell to remember what word Grossman says before he gives him a treat. I've never seen or heard any of the words Boswell comes up with. In actuality the word is DOWN. SM explains that it means to put your belly on the ground.
In typical twisted terrier thinking, Boswell wonders how this will help him get Lulu.
Reading this book is like taking a trip through a teenage boy's mind: everything seems to be about food, sex and money.
Yes, money. Boswell learned about money from television. He doesn't use the word infomercial, but what dog would know that word. He just knows that money can buy more kibble.
I laughed from the twisted thinking, the reference to Lady Gaga and Boswell's preoccupation with, ahem, well, it's obvious Boswell hasn't been neutered.
There are references to the pressures Grossman is under because he's finishing up on a book about animals. That part is true.
If my own dogs had a conversation it would be quite different. My girls have been spayed. They would wonder what time we were playing ball and if Sam, the Lab from across the street would be joining us. Our front yard is a little shorter and a little wider than a football field. I throw as many balls as there are dogs, bring a big bowl of water and pockets full of bacon flavored treats and peanut butter bones.
Abby might complain because I use red pepper to keep her out of my flower beds. She's 2; she'll learn. But I'm retired so I have time to lavish on my furry friends. Grossman is an active author. His life is different from mine, so Boswell has a different life than my dogs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great if you have extra money, May 18, 2013
LMS (Humboldt County) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boswell Speaks: Volume 1 (Kindle Edition)
My friend lent me her kindle while she went on a vacation w/o internet access and during that time I read this. It is a sweet silly story that is a nice read by the fireplace or at the pool with your kids. It's worded in an honest, slightly innocent, and blunt way that fits the image of how some dogs might think. I really like the formatting of the stanzas separated with the orange dots, it helps the ease of reading and forms a light mood. I rated this three stars because I wouldn't spend the few entertainment dollars I have on this, but if you have money to spend or if you can borrow it from someone than I do recommend it. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, September 8, 2012
This review is from: Boswell Speaks: Volume 1 (Kindle Edition)
Completely enjoyed the Boswell Speaks trilogy. Laugh out loud funny and very insightful. Whether you are a dog lover or not, you will enjoy Boswell's journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Way to go Grossman, August 30, 2012
This review is from: Boswell Speaks: Volume 1 (Kindle Edition)
What an amazing find. Just when you thought there was nothing new in the literary world... How wonderful to find a universal journey wrapped with political irony and sarcasm told through the framework of poetry that intertwines the search for the meaning of the universe with the voice of a dog. A dog named Boswell no less.
Grossman once again proves that it is good to be different, to stretch the fabric of the traditional, not unlike Joyce, by constructing a platform that not only combines elements of various genres but elevates them all.
Way to go Grossman, keep up the good work.

Boswell Speaks: Volume 1